• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift |OT|

bridegur

I bought this for $35 at Newegg and I'm loving it. It can be almost too difficult at times, but it doesn't feel unfair. The level designs are easily some of the best I've seen in a racing game, and graphically I might even give it an edge over Killzone. Great, great game.

If Evolution could tone down the difficulty a notch, I'd love to see them make the next MS something along the lines of Wave Race.

edgefusion

bridegur said:
I bought this for $35 at Newegg and I'm loving it. It can be almost too difficult at times, but it doesn't feel unfair.

You obviously haven't got to rank 7 yet. The AI goes from being any normal racer to retardedly difficult, cheating shit in a single rank. I was just playing riptide on festival rank 7, finally thought I was going to get gold after repeated attempts until one of the AI rockets up out of nowhere (at totally unrealistic speeds) and veers wildly off it's own path to drag me and it into a tree....instantly sending me to 7th place and taking me over the wreck limit.

Fuck this game, ranks 7 and 8 don't even exist to me.

Charles

PjotrStroganov said:
Damn, the 'red ring of death' race on wildfire is killing me. I have no clue how to get under 4:40. Even with a flawless race I still only manage 4:48 or something like that.

Ah, made it. Just a combination of the right route and the right vehicle.

Could someone please elaborate on this, I've been stuck on this one too. I'm using the big rig and taking the 'right' route, but I can't seem to get close enough, even on 'perfect' runs.

Awesome game though.

quetz67

Banned
edgefusion said:
You obviously haven't got to rank 7 yet. The AI goes from being any normal racer to retardedly difficult, cheating shit in a single rank. I was just playing riptide on festival rank 7, finally thought I was going to get gold after repeated attempts until one of the AI rockets up out of nowhere (at totally unrealistic speeds) and veers wildly off it's own path to drag me and it into a tree....instantly sending me to 7th place and taking me over the wreck limit.

Dont know about rank 8, but rank 7 is fine for me. I am pretty lousy gamer and it takes me some time to win the races, but I would call this challenging rather than unfair.

Erebus

Some screen-caps I took the other day (particularly from Speed Weekend):

MSPR_DarkUsS88_42.jpg

MSPR_DarkUsS88_43.jpg

MSPR_DarkUsS88_44.jpg

MSPR_DarkUsS88_46.jpg

MSPR_DarkUsS88_47.jpg

MSPR_DarkUsS88_48.jpg

MSPR_DarkUsS88_49.jpg

MSPR_DarkUsS88_50.jpg

MSPR_DarkUsS88_51.jpg

MSPR_DarkUsS88_52.jpg

MSPR_DarkUsS88_53.jpg

MSPR_DarkUsS88_54.jpg

MSPR_DarkUsS88_55.jpg

MSPR_DarkUsS88_56.jpg

MSPR_DarkUsS88_57.jpg

MSPR_DarkUsS88_58.jpg

MSPR_DarkUsS88_59.jpg

MSPR_DarkUsS88_60.jpg

MSPR_DarkUsS88_61.jpg

Dommel

Does anyone know if the US DLC is compatible with the EU version of the game?

I can only buy stuff from the US store cause my Net+ credit card is not accepted in the EU store.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Been getting into this more the last few days....again.....Wow does the game look better than I remembered. The DLC tracks are fun and full of twists and turns too. Awaiting the next pack which hopefully comes out this week.

No45

Dommel said:
Does anyone know if the US DLC is compatible with the EU version of the game?

I can only buy stuff from the US store cause my Net+ credit card is not accepted in the EU store.
Almost certainly not. It's only on very rare occasions that DLC works across major region differences.

Dommel

No45 said:
Almost certainly not. It's only on very rare occasions that DLC works across major region differences.

Yeah I figured as much. Luckily my virtual CC is based in the UK so i was able to create an UK PSN account and buy it from that store.

The new tracks are awesome, pity you can only play them in custom games online.

Why is the patch such a huge file??? 608MB for a title update would be unheard of on Xbox 360.

Do you guys recommend the Speed pack? When does Adrenaline come out?

F#A#Oo

Banned
The Lamonster said:
Why is the patch such a huge file??? 608MB for a title update would be unheard of on Xbox 360.?

Good thing too...why should developers be restricted by the content they can put out? Makes no sense tbh...the only benefit is convenience...

The Lamonster said:
Do you guys recommend the Speed pack? When does Adrenaline come out?

Adrenaline is out today iirc.

F#A#Oo said:
Good thing too...why should developers be restricted by the content they can put out? Makes no sense tbh...the only benefit is convenience...

Adrenaline is out today iirc.
I'm not bitching really, I have plenty of HD space on my PS3 but already ran out on the 360. Such bullshit. "15" GB is nothing.

Anyway, thanks!

Goldrusher

F#A#Oo said:
He has a point though.

For all I care the Speed and Adrenaline packs are 10GB each, but keep them on the Store where they belong, not disguised as "patches". Why should every player be forced to download over a gig of content, when not even 10 percent of those players will actually pay and play that content?

BeeDog

Thrakier said:
So the adrenaline pack is worthless because it's MP only, is it?

Worthless and worthless, perhaps if you only play alone seeing as no additional singleplayer content was added. But if you have friends with who you like to splitscreen, then the maps are awesome. I'm really liking two of the new maps, good stuff.

Thrakier said:
So the adrenaline pack is worthless because it's MP only, is it?

Oh fuck that. It's like the third Motorstorm week end pack. MP only suck. It's like they were too lazy to create new single player events or something. MP only is half the fun gone and now I'm really reconsidering my purchase.

Thrakier

I won't buy it because of that. I didn't but the second MS1 pack because of this, too. I don't get what's so hard about adding some SP raaces and trophies.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a detailed review/comparison between the two course packs? Got 10 bucks in my virtual wallet and can only afford one.

Ploid 3.0

Thrakier said:
I won't buy it because of that. I didn't but the second MS1 pack because of this, too. I don't get what's so hard about adding some SP raaces and trophies.

Placing the invisible CPU powerups and cheat strategy for each of the new maps are tough. Powerups like having a bike cause your bigfoot to flip over, but when a bigfoot run over your bike it's stable as a house. Not to forget the infinite turbos.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Has anybody checked to see if the latest patch adds G25 wheel support?

now THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is what I call an outstanding question!

I'm loving the speed weekend challenges.
Add me to your friends list so I can have more than 1 other person to compare rankings with/compete with.

psn: konopko

Thrakier

CartridgeBlower said:
Can anyone point me in the direction of a detailed review/comparison between the two course packs? Got 10 bucks in my virtual wallet and can only afford one.

You should buy Speed because it comes with new challenges. Adrenaline is Online/TT only.

ChryZ

Goldrusher said:
He has a point though.

For all I care the Speed and Adrenaline packs are 10GB each, but keep them on the Store where they belong, not disguised as "patches". Why should every player be forced to download over a gig of content, when not even 10 percent of those players will actually pay and play that content?
The patches included the fixed tracks (removal of cheat routes, etc), title updates and the new DLC vehicles. The DLC vehicles are only playable for people who bought/own the DLC, but non-DLC user will still see them in online races (driven by DLC owners, etc).

The DLC packs are providing the new tracks, time trials and speed weekend mode (speed pack only).

BeeDog

Thrakier said:
You should buy Speed because it comes with new challenges. Adrenaline is Online/TT only.

BUT (imo), the Adrenaline pack has the better maps though, so if you really like freeplaying/splitscreening, I'd actually recommend that pack.

What utter shit!
This game starts to get Dowloadable Content as soon as my Triple breaks down.
I hope Sony announce and release the PS3 Slim soon so I can get back into this game. :*(
This sucks! WTF

No45

I came back to this last night after a few months off, and managed to clear gold on a track that I'd tried about thirty times before at just my third attempt! :lol

Of course, the tracks afterwards still had me swearing. Been playing Burnout for so long I'd forgotten what a hard game was like! I have 600 points remaining until I hit rank 8 I think - I assume the game is still well supported online?

GodofWine

How does the matchmaking handle the new tracks? Like if Paradise beach comes up, and we vote it off, and then a new one comes up...does it kick non-dlc owners? (obviously it has to, but i can see that being frustrating for people, and makes matchmaking difficult)

Oneself

I like the packs; the new tracks (especially those of the Adrenaline pack) are awesome.. but why not add a seperate week-end with competitive races? I don't give a fuck about time trials and I don't have time to play online.

Kolgar

Oneself said:
I like the packs; the new tracks (especially those of the Adrenaline pack) are awesome.. but why not add a seperate week-end with competitive races? I don't give a fuck about time trials and I don't have time to play online.

Agreed. That omission is the reason I will not purchase the DLC.

crispyben

So, I finally began playing this online the last few days (including a session yesterday with GAFfer BeeDog), and man do I suck! I cannot get past 50% in Gold Grunt, Rookie Rank seems unattainable wwhen you always place 8th and below :lol Of course, getting crushed by Monster Trucks at every occasion doesn't help... What are your online tactics, fellow Lunatics?

BeeDog

crispyben said:
So, I finally began playing this online the last few days (including a session yesterday with GAFfer BeeDog), and man do I suck! I cannot get past 50% in Gold Grunt, Rookie Rank seems unattainable wwhen you always place 8th and below :lol Of course, getting crushed by Monster Trucks at every occasion doesn't help... What are your online tactics, fellow Lunatics?

Pretty good games yesterday man! But I agree, the competition is amazingly hard online, damn. The best I placed was on 3rd place, and that lap was pretty fucking perfect, yet the first two were miles ahead anyway. I'd also like to hear some suggestions.

crispyben

BeeDog said:
Pretty good games yesterday man! But I agree, the competition is amazingly hard online, damn. The best I placed was on 3rd place, and that lap was pretty fucking perfect, yet the first two were miles ahead anyway. I'd also like to hear some suggestions.
Yes, 3rd place is also my best result, but that was another night... I guess the answer is practice, practice, practice, I should have played online right after I gave up on the Festival :D

BeeDog said:
The best I placed was on 3rd place, and that lap was pretty fucking perfect, yet the first two were miles ahead anyway. I'd also like to hear some suggestions.

Same here. I just started after buying the two packs, and I'm getting my ass handed to me every single time. And of course, after getting out in front, some fucking Monster Truck runs me down.

I'm enjoying the new packs too, but alas, I hope they bring something new to the single player experience. That way I can enjoy both the new scenery and the taste of victory instead of furiously tapping Circle to get back to the lobby.

Ashes

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Has anybody checked to see if the latest patch adds G25 wheel support?
checking right now...>>>>> situation is the same as before... got my hopes up for nothing...

No45

I've admitted defeat on the Festival on this. About half way to rank eight and it's really brutal - been trying to beat a speed track (In a Mudplugger, I hate the larger vehicles in this game) and I can't even make the bronze, so clearing another 18 or so seconds at the moment seems impossible. I'm not having fun any more. :(

ChryZ

No45 said:
I've admitted defeat on the Festival on this. About half way to rank eight and it's really brutal - been trying to beat a speed track (In a Mudplugger, I hate the larger vehicles in this game) and I can't even make the bronze, so clearing another 18 or so seconds at the moment seems impossible. I'm not having fun any more. :(
Climb the online ranks, beat dev time trials, unlock more vehicles ... and then you'll win the last few festival events. Do it.

crispyben

No45 said:
If I did it, you can do it! I gave up at 78 Golds and 18 Silvers, and shudder at the thought of going back... If you want to play online, send me an invite.

No45

Half of my problem is I just can't leave an event until I have gold on it, which makes the game really frustrating. I haven't taken the game online at all yet though, perhaps that will help. Might get online tonight perhaps, although I bought Resi 5 earlier in the week and haven't played it yet.

crispyben

No45 said:
Half of my problem is I just can't leave an event until I have gold on it, which makes the game really frustrating. I haven't taken the game online at all yet though, perhaps that will help. Might get online tonight perhaps, although I bought Resi 5 earlier in the week and haven't played it yet.
I was the same, until the AI infuriated me and I decided to settle for Silver, which I managed in the end. Filling an online lobby with GAFfers is my only shot at most online trophies :D As for RE5, well, I didn't feel like playing it so I loaned it to a friend. Maybe it'd be more fun in coop?

Dibbz

Might pick up the new pack soon but still gotta finish the speed pack off.

Wish they would imrpove the photomode by allowing us to add the motion blur that we get in game and other cool post processing effects.

3730087173_aab716c9b5_o.jpg

Something I made the other day.

Ashes

Banned
I got gold on all the festivals. It is hard. But it is very doable.
You have to use boost very carefully anyway but in in the speed event, you have to be extra cautious. Usually, I save my boosts untill the long stretches. Track lines are really important and look on youtube for the fastest laps. Beat the developer ghosts as well; you'd be surprised how immensely easy it is to improve by ten to fifteen seconds just by improving lines, controlling your boosts and staying on the right course for your vehicles. I say ten to fifteen second improvements, where it is implied that you are ten to fifften seconds off pace. The world's fastest times are much much faster then anything in the festival.
And do change vehicles when it isn't working. Changing vehicles does make a difference, even in the same class.

quetz67

Banned
edgefusion said:

I am now at rank 8 and I love the game more than ever. It takes me about an hour to beat a single race. You have to be pretty perfect to win, but if you drive perfectly you dont even see your oppponents after the first 10-15 seconds, so I dont even care if they are cheating.

With one or two crash it's pretty tough to win, but without I usually finish the race with like 3 or more seconds ahead (lousy gamer, so hard work...but sooo much fun).

The strategy (if you want to call it that) is easy. If you drive one lap perfectly and you dont lead then you have to look for a different route...which of course depends heavily on the vehicle you drive.

quetz67

Banned
So Speed Weekend offers just speed events and no mini-festival like the revenge weekend for motorstorm 1?

Or am I just too blind to see it?

Rank 8 is complete and utter bullshit. There is no other answer. It's not fair and features the most egregious use of rubber band AI in any game, bar none. Makes Mario Kart Wii look like a tournament-caliber racer.

The fact that I've devoted so much of my life to getting a gold on every track only to be cheated out of a trophy due to a handful of cheap races really, really irritates me.

Sure, I can get them after hours and hours of frustration and trial and error, but is it worth it? It's not the speed events, either. Those are easy. It's the damn races.

Bauer91

Epic Tier 3 Engineer said:
Rank 8 is complete and utter bullshit. There is no other answer. It's not fair and features the most egregious use of rubber band AI in any game, bar none. Makes Mario Kart Wii look like a tournament-caliber racer.

The fact that I've devoted so much of my life to getting a gold on every track only to be cheated out of a trophy due to a handful of cheap races really, really irritates me.

Sure, I can get them after hours and hours of frustration and trial and error, but is it worth it? It's not the speed events, either. Those are easy. It's the damn races.

My thoughts exactly. I really enjoyed the game but then got to Rank 8 and stopeed playing. I don't think I've won a gold medal on any ticket in Rank 8 but was able to do so on every race before that (though that wasn't easy either). Any tips? I'm thinking about giving it another shot. I did finish the first game 100% though.

Am I the only one that finds it incredibly hard to control the vehicles in this game? I feel like it's a struggle to take turns. I can't seem to get used to it.

Top Bottom