• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moved to NYC. Help!! (game related)

jarrod

Banned
So now I'm here... and I don't know where anything is. :/

Lay it on me NYC gafers, where's all the excellent arcades and gamestores and I've dreamt of? And are there any good import shops that won't sell me pirated GBA carts? And uh... where Best Buy?

Alright, first things first...

Arcades: Your selection is quite sparse. Perhaps the best is one in Chinatown, which you'll find on Mott Street. They have a good selection of fighters, a DDR set up, and some old classics.

Plus there's Broadway Arcade on 42nd Street and 8th Ave. It's one of those glitzy entertainment centers that uses cards instead of quarters. It's also pretty expensive, so I might suggest you simply go to the bowling alley located at the Port Authority which is very close by, which has a few machines in the lobby.

I've heard of a new place called Neutral Ground at 122 West 26th Street. There's a tourney going on soon. You'll find more info here:

http://ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=4966

Speaking of...

Game Related Events/Hang-Out Spots: Once again, not much to speak of (New York is pretty lame when it comes to video game related stuff to see and do). But there is Gamer's Nite Groove. There's one every few months or so. For more info, just go to:

http://game.newyork-tokyo.com/

I've been to a few and they're alright. I honestly don't know why I even give them any press since one of the organizers is a major douchebag.

They used to hold it at a place called Game Time Nation:

http://www.gametimenation.com/

There you can rent games and play them on their big tv's and comfy couches. It's a pretty nice atmosphere actually, though pretty pricey. Which leads to...

Game Stores: You'll find Gamestops and EBs all over the city, but there are a few mom and pop stores.

The best has to be Game Express on West 32nd Street between 6th and 7th Avenue. They have a huge selection of new and old titles and many great deals. Sale people are okay.

The best known Chinatown store is J&L on Elizabeth Street. Go there to window shop but don't buy anything; they have a huge assortment of import titles, and games for older systems, but everything's way too overpriced. Plus, don't trust them to do a mod job cuz they'll fuck up your system.

Go across to street to the Elizabeth Street Mall instead. In the lower level you'll find Penguin Village. They have a much smaller selection, but they're prices are almost always cheaper than J&L.

Also well know is Multimedia at St. Mark's in the East Village. They have an extensive selection of classic stuff, all the way to the 2600. They also have the biggest asshole in the city working there (this is a very well known fact).

Often of not, you just can't go wrong with Best Buy, which is located at West 23rd and 6th Ave. There's another location at 86th, right off the 6 train (can't remember the Avenue).

Hope this helps.

Yeah, I agree with pretty much everything that FortNinety said. Except that Broadway City arcade no longer exists. So there really isn't a decent arcade left besides Chinatown Fair at Mott Street. As for J and L, his description was also on point for this store as well. They are way too overpriced, because they think that people don't know any better, and that they are the only shop in town with vintage items. On top of this, their attitude leaves much to be desired. I always get the distinct impression that they treat anyone who isn't Chinese a bit disrespectful. Multimedia on Astor place does have quite a bit of stuff, but once again, like FortNinety said, the guy who runs the shop is a huge prick. Although their prices for newer items are about average, they too, are way too overpriced for their vintage items. $300 for a Famicom Disk System!? I don't think so. Especially when I only paid $50 for mine in Japan. Too be honest with you, NYC is nowhere near as good as it used to be with arcades, vintage, and Japanese games. Many of the best shops either went out of business or just stopped carrying Japanese games. This means you're pretty much stuck with EB Games, Gamestop, and a few mom and pop stores for all your gaming needs. This isn't too bad, as there are still a few deals to be had if you know where to look.

"And uh... where's Best Buy?"

There are quite a few Best Buys throughout the city. Let me list a few( and their addresses):

In Manhattan:

Chelsea NY (Store 482)
60 West 23rd Street
New York, NY 10010-5201
Phone: 212-366-1373
Hours: Mon-Sat 10:00am-9:30pm
Sun 11:00am-7:00pm

86th & Lexington NY (Store 835)
1280 Lexington Ave
New York, NY 10028-2109
Phone: 917-492-8870

In Queens:

Long Island City NY (Store 478)
50-01 Northern Boulevard
Long Island City, NY 11101-1003
Phone: 718-626-7585

Rego Park NY (Store 483)
8801 Queens Blvd.
Elmhurst, NY 11373
Phone: 718-393-2690

In Brooklyn:

Brooklyn NY (Store 599)
8923 Bay Pkwy
Brooklyn, NY 11214-6400
Phone: 718-265-6950

In Staten Island:

Staten Island NY (Store 469)
2795 Richmond Avenue
Staten Island, NY 10314-5807
Phone: 718-698-7546

For what it's worth, my favorite is the Long Island City store. To get there, I usually just take the R train to Woodhaven, or the Q59 bus, which will leave you right across the street from the mall that houses Best Buy as well as Target and a couple of other stores.

Fifty

Wow, this is one of the most helpful threads I have ever read, and I'm not even benefiting from it! :)

I can only hope that when I go to LA I'll get half of the advice that has been given out here.

DCX

DCX
Fordham Game World in the Bronx on Fordham Road just after the 4 Train stop. Nathan's in Yonkers has a pretty good arcade...i used to work there ;)

DCX

Brofist

The only half decent gaming stores in NYC are overpriced and have weak selections. You might as well be living on a farm in Iowa, cause mail order is still your best bet.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
DCX said:
Fordham Game World in the Bronx on Fordham Road just after the 4 Train stop. Nathan's in Yonkers has a pretty good arcade...i used to work there ;)

DCX

I agree with this man, however, note that the 4 train Fordham Avenue stop is closed off for rehabilitation.

aparisi2274

When I hit NYC, I usually try to go to User-Side. Its a cool Japanese store on 5th Ave. I go there when I want to buy import games, because u dont pay any import fees. If a game is 6800yen in Japan, that is what you pay at the store. Its a cool store. Here is the address and number:

431 Fifth Ave 2nd Floor
New York, NY. 10016 U.S.A .
TEL: (212) 696-4322
FAX: (212) 696-4323

NYMAP.gif

Its between 38th and 39th St. across the street from Lord and Taylor. Now last I checked there was no sign outside, so when u get between 38th and 39th the door to User-Side is right next to a GNC. You ring the bell and they buzz you in, and you go to the 2nd floor store.

suikodan

Fifty said:
Wow, this is one of the most helpful threads I have ever read, and I'm not even benefiting from it! :)

I can only hope that when I go to LA I'll get half of the advice that has been given out here.

Maybe because I just hung out in the downtown area but I never saw a single video game store in LA in the 3 years I've attended E3.

aparisi2274

suikodan said:
Maybe because I just hung out in the downtown area but I never saw a single video game store in LA in the 3 years I've attended E3.

Well obviously. Downtown is a shitbox in LA. If u want good arcades, you need to get into a car and drive. I mean Universal City Walk had a good one. Santa Monica Pier had a good one. The 3rd St. Promenade had a good one, not sure if its still there.

Link316

Banned
there's also Game Trade Center down near the Wall St area, its on Nassau and Maiden Lane, good prices and good selection, I bought Time Crisis 2 there brand new for $40

and multimedia in St Marks really sucks, they have alot of stuff and rare games but that's probably cause no one buys anything there since their prices are so inflated, they also don't match the prices at their website

jarrod said:
So now I'm here... and I don't know where anything is. :/

Lay it on me NYC gafers, where's all the excellent arcades and gamestores and I've dreamt of? And are there any good import shops that won't sell me pirated GBA carts? And uh... where Best Buy?

I'll PM you at OA.

nitewulf

FortNinety said:
Game Stores: You'll find Gamestops and EBs all over the city, but there are a few mom and pop stores.

The best has to be Game Express on West 32nd Street between 6th and 7th Avenue. They have a huge selection of new and old titles and many great deals. Sale people are okay.

yeah i second this. also, across the street from manhattan mall (34th st)...and EB inside the mall.

Also well know is Multimedia at St. Mark's in the East Village. They have an extensive selection of classic stuff, all the way to the 2600. They also have the biggest asshole in the city working there (this is a very well known fact).

hey is it that store with a back room, and there's a good turkish shwarma place right by the corner? and all around are the usual sex stores?
im pretty sure it's the same store...but i thought the dude who worked there was pretty cool.

anyway, there are lots of gamesotres in NYC, but not so much arcades. though if you drive to queens, you will find some good arcades there still.

BuddyC

suikodan said:

I saw a few places, but that was mostly because my hotel was right next to Little Tokyo.

Never went to any besides Kamikaze, but they seemed to have decent prices on older Saturn imports (Christmas NiGHTS, Fighters Megamix, and Fighting Vipers for > $15 combined).

DCX

DCX
Wellington said:
I agree with this man, however, note that the 4 train Fordham Avenue stop is closed off for rehabilitation.
Really? I haven't been there in a year i live upstate.

DCX

jarrod

Banned
Holy crap, thanks for the responses everyone. And Biff, I can't seem to access my OA account.... could you PM me here? :/

CorruptionDee said:
As for J and L, his description was also on point for this store as well. They are way too overpriced, because they think that people don't know any better, and that they are the only shop in town with vintage items. On top of this, their attitude leaves much to be desired. I always get the distinct impression that they treat anyone who isn't Chinese a bit disrespectful.

Funny, I totally forgot to mention their attitudes. Even though I've never gotten any flack, when I used to bring friends who were black, they seemed to get the cold shoulder. Then once I went in with a Chinese friend and he overheard them speaking shit about other customers.

Also the real reason why I hate them so much is because I used to be a loyal customer, for almost eight years, and brought them a good deal of business. They always seemed decent to me, so I bought from them, despite the high prices. Then I had my PSS2 modded, but they fucked it up big time, and refused to do damn thing about it. Once I got agitated by the news that a repair job would cost me another $200, they more or less kicked me out of the store.

aparisi2274 said:
When I hit NYC, I usually try to go to User-Side. Its a cool Japanese store on 5th Ave. I go there when I want to buy import games, because u dont pay any import fees. If a game is 6800yen in Japan, that is what you pay at the store. Its a cool store. Here is the address and number:

431 Fifth Ave 2nd Floor
New York, NY. 10016 U.S.A .
TEL: (212) 696-4322
FAX: (212) 696-4323

Wow, this is news to me! Thanks for the info!

Link316 said:
there's also Game Trade Center down near the Wall St area, its on Nassau and Maiden Lane, good prices and good selection, I bought Time Crisis 2 there brand new for $40

They're still open? I thought they closed down due to 9/11. I'll be sure to stop by there again soon.

Also don't forget the Circuit Cities in the city as well. The one I frequent is at Union Square, right next to the Virgin Megastore, though their selection is not all that hot. I know there's others... anyone have their addresses?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Link316 said:

and multimedia in St Marks really sucks, they have alot of stuff and rare games but that's probably cause no one buys anything there since their prices are so inflated, they also don't match the prices at their website

You talking about the one on the corner of Nassau and John St? Man, the amount of lunch hours I blew there is ridiculous. They're great. Pay cash, and they drop tax (on ANY purchase.) Their prices are generally good (they don't break $30/$50 like EB and GS occasionally do for handheld/console games), and occasionally break street date. This is true primarily for EA stuff, and DVDs (though they charge extra for DVD street date breaks. Not games, however.)

Some of their older stuff isn't always priced right, however, so beware.

fbcamp

Banned
Yeah so if you're planning to go to the store that dcx mentioned on Fordham rd. in the bronx you might as well also check out the game store thats not too far down the block from it (they have nice selection if I remember correctly). Also while you're in the Bronx you can also check out Hunts Point, they have a couple of game shops (which I don't think I've ever been in). In addition go to Parkchester, there are about 5-6 game stores in real close proximety to each other. Here's how to get to some of them:

1.Game point: Get out of the parkchester and go towards the brown buildings across the street and make a right before going on metropolitan ave, continue on that sidewalk until you reach the store. It's real nice organized set up, they have a decent selection of import and american games as well as computer parts and movies. Nice employee's and a cute japanese girl who's overly friendly.

2. Gamestop: walk down metropolitan ave and it's right next to the macy's... The stores shit.

3. jewelry shop: it's right outside the trainstation. It's a jewerlry shop that sells games really cheap... Bang on the door so they can buzz you in.

4. Toy store: go to the castle hill stop, which is one station away from Parkchester. Get off and walk on Castle hill towards the McDonalds and you'll reach the toy store. They have lots of really cheap games. The people there are real nice.

6. One station away from castle hill is the J&S game store. They have a decent selection of american games, and some imports. The place smells like shit....

5. There's an sizable arcade next to where I live, it's larger than any arcade that I know of in manhatten since the arcade on 42nd closed down (according to that other poster). It has a nice selection of both old and new games. If you want to get there get off at parkchester and walk to the 39/36 bus station and take it away from parkchester then get off next to the big shopping mall. It's hard to miss the place, just follow the big sign that says funworld.

In Manhatten check out J&R game world they have a better selection of games that Bestbuy. If you want to get there go the City Hall/Brooklyn Bridge stop, get out and walk around city hall and you can't miss it. The stores the size of about 2 city blocks.

fbcamp

Banned
Mejilan said:
The City Hall J&R sucks ass. They almost never get new stuff on time.

At least when they get anything new, they have enough of it. I remember them having systems available at the xbox and gamecube launches. They also don't sell out as often as other stores do when a new game comes out.

If anything go to the toys r' us in time square, their gamestation has a pretty good selection of games. They also have a nice setup where you could try out games on big screen plasma tv's.

Link316

Banned
FortNinety said:
They're still open? I thought they closed down due to 9/11. I'll be sure to stop by there again soon.

they're still there, they moved all the way on the down past the Wendy's on Nassau after 9/11

Mejilan said:
You talking about the one on the corner of Nassau and John St? Man, the amount of lunch hours I blew there is ridiculous.

yup, that's the store :)

Top Bottom