• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You’ve Watched Lately |OT| - 2024

The Marvels

It was much more fun than I remember it to be. A light, fun superhero romp.
Clothes Stealing GIF

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

I'm serious. First time I saw it in theaters, it was loud and bombastic and seemed like they cut parts out... I still enjoyed it but not fully.

This time, it was just lighter and more fun (being away from those overwhelming theater speakers helped). The music was great (except for Memory by Streisand) and the score was sweet. The music planet part was silly and I laughed.

Overall the movie put a smile on my face.

I'm serious. First time I saw it in theaters, it was loud and bombastic and seemed like they cut parts out... I still enjoyed it but not fully.

This time, it was just lighter and more fun (being away from those overwhelming theater speakers helped). The music was great (except for Memory by Streisand) and the score was sweet. The music planet part was silly and I laughed.

hannibal buress Heavy breathing GIF by The Eric Andre Show

AJUMP23

Gold Member
The Beekeeper.

It is a nice action flick with a fun story o power and corruption and it goes all the way to the tippy top.

Doom85

Glad you enjoyed it.

For me, the movie would have been way better if it was just Kamala going to space and seeing and fighting crazy shit with Nick Fury as her guide. With how Guardians 3 ended, she could eventually meet up with someone like Drax or Mantis and they could join in on the adventure (keeping it to one so it’s still Kamala’s movie).

They tried to make Carol more flawed with what she accidentally did to the Kree planet, but Brie Larson did not seem to give a fuck in her performance. She’s great in other roles, but she seems done with Carol, kind of reminds me of how Jennifer Lawrence barely tried as Mystique by the time she got to X-men Apocalypse.

Monica’s actress is good, but it’s hard to make her character relatable with where she is. We only knew her as a kid, then we have to care about her as an adult having returned from the Blip with her mom having died during but we didn’t see her as an adult prior with her mom so it doesn’t emotionally resonate with me, besides her story immediately goes to her dealing with the WandaVision situation anyway. And then, with this movie, her confronting Carol, I never saw her as an adult missing Carol prior, only as a kid saying bye to her, so it feels way too much telling and not showing.

The cats devouring the space crew part was mildly funny, but the musical planet idea felt undercooked. Why did the people not fight in a musical style when they got invaded? Could have been crazy fun like the Dr. Strange 2 music battle. I feel like it was the sort of idea someone like Sam Raimi or James Gunn would have gone nuts with, but this movie felt like it was, “okay, we‘ll go weird, but not too weird” and I wanted them to go too weird.

And the villain was super forgettable. Hilarious how she seemed to be Ronan’s successor as he was basically the same way. The actress just didn’t command much presence for me, nowhere as effective a villainess as Cate Blanchett in Thor 3 who just sold every evil and intense moment she had.

It’s not awful, just underwhelming for me and in terms of superhero movies that are set a good deal in space it pales in comparison to all the Guardians movies…..it’s still better than 2011 Green Lantern though, I’ll give it that.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I love Michael Mann's movies so I had to check out "Ferrari" (2023).
There's a thing about these movies that I can't stand, why are they speaking english with terrible regional accents?...like just speak english or speak italian, these faux accents make everything worse.
There were even some lines that were just straight up bad english, like how someone sounds when they are just learning a language (like saying something like "I go here now" instead of "I'll go over here".), it's so distracting to me...

That being said, how about that crash scene 👀

Yes, I did. I'm speaking in the moment as I was kinda blown away. I still haven't seen the follow-up.

I don't think McAvoy was going for funny. I took it as him going for unsettling. Imagine you're a frightened teen girl and he comes out acting like a 9 yr old in a grown man's body talking about wanting to kiss you or dance to some ska music... Would you laugh or be afraid for your life?
I think if you go into the followup film Glass without expectations it will entertain you. I would also advise a viewing of Unbreakable prior as it is predominantly a follow up of that.

P.S. Whether McAvoy is Patricia or Hedwig there is too much attitude on display to play it straight.

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
There's a thing about these movies that I can't stand, why are they speaking english with terrible regional accents?
I remember The 13th Warrior (been a long time since I've seen it) doing a 360 with the camera around people at a campfire speaking their native tongue then transitioning to english.

Or The Hunt for Red October at the beginning with Sean Connery speaking russian then switching to english as he's speaking to a comrade.

I guess those 2 examples try to "explain" the use of english in a way.

But yes, it is a necessary evil we have to live with as an audience 😄

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I remember The 13th Warrior (been a long time since I've seen it) doing a 360 with the camera around people at a campfire speaking their native tongue then transitioning to english.

Or The Hunt for Red October at the beginning with Sean Connery speaking russian then switching to english as he's speaking to a comrade.
Yeah the show Warrior does the same and it works great, they even go a step further by having them speak crappy english when speaking to actual english speaking characters lol.

John Marston

I recollect Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon being entirely in Cantonese with English subtitles.
Movies like "Life is Beautiful" and "Das Boot" for example I could never watch dubbed.

The original language gives it a flavor and a cultural richness which is obviously robbed with dubbing.

I remember a frenchie friend of mine back in the day who never heard Sean Connery's real voice because he watched everything dubbed in french.

I was flabbergasted Connery's voice is 80% of his persona 😃

Movies like "Life is Beautiful" and "Das Boot" for example I could never watch dubbed.

The original language gives it a flavor and a cultural richness which is obviously robbed with dubbing.

I remember a frenchie friend of mine back in the day who never heard Sean Connery's real voice because he watched everything dubbed in french.

I was flabbergasted Connery's voice is 80% of his persona 😃

I'm still super salty that Connery died but it is what it is..

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
phantom-thread-header-1200x628b.jpg

I'm ashamed it took me this long to get around to seeing this. What I've come to realize watching this is how PTA and DDL are simply levels above everyone else right now, including Scorsese. This movie looks and feels like it could have been shot by Kubrick himself. Also it's one of the funniest movie i've ever seen which completely took me by surprise.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Just now watched The Creator on Disney+Hulu ...

I don't know what some of you lot watched but it was a really touching and heartfelt film ... It was a lot like Chappie and I loved the progression! Once again, humans fuck everything up by lying. The humans were the bad guys, not the AI. I was rooting for Joshua and little Alphie!

Andyliini

The Doors

I'm personally not a fan of The Doors, but my girlfriend is, and wanted to show it to me. I have to say it was difficult to follow. Once the trip scenes hit, it became difficult to make out which scenes happened for real, and which where just acid trips. One thing I have to say, is I liked Val Kilmer before, but my god what a perfect job he does as Jim Morrison. When I look at the screen, I see Kilmer there, but not really. He does not sound or move lile he usually does. That was sadly the only really positive thing I can say. Not my type of movie.

Watched The Marvels last night. Terrible movie. I completely believe the director when she said that she didn't direct this, Marvel Studios did. Terrible shot composition and editing, and the CGI is somehow worse! Also it has two contenders for dumbest scene in a superhero movie. I'd call it the worse superhero movie of last year, except The Flash exists. 1/5 stars

Also watched Rambo (2008) recently--what a perfect film. It was like every shot conveyed the grit and pain of his world. Plus the movie spent a whole lot of time establishing atmosphere, developing relationships, etc. You learn more from the way Rambo listens to people while he pilots his little boat than you do about from any MCU character doing anything since ... idk, Endgame, when Cap sees Peggy in the office? Marvel could learn a few things from this one (movies don't have to just be sprinting and yelling!). 5/5 stars

Last edited:

John Marston

The Doors

I'm personally not a fan of The Doors, but my girlfriend is, and wanted to show it to me. I have to say it was difficult to follow. Once the trip scenes hit, it became difficult to make out which scenes happened for real, and which where just acid trips. One thing I have to say, is I liked Val Kilmer before, but my god what a perfect job he does as Jim Morrison. When I look at the screen, I see Kilmer there, but not really. He does not sound or move lile he usually does. That was sadly the only really positive thing I can say. Not my type of movie.
Saw it in its first week of release in theatres.
Left after 20 minutes because most of the packed crowd were drunk and or high off their asses and behaving like they were at a concert, just chaos and throwing empty beer cans at the screen.

Good times 😆

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
All Quiet on the Western Front (2022)

This movie moved me more than any other. No hyperbole.

I've teared up at movies before, but
the scene with Paul and the French soldier in the crater made me weep.

I've been reading about the historical inaccuracies, and I read the book back in university, so I understand the criticisms. Still, this movie was masterful in conveying horror, bleakness, and absurdity.

Only a few story choices took me out of it, but that doesn't negate it's greatness. I give it a 9 out of 10.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
All Quiet on the Western Front (2022)

This movie moved me more than any other. No hyperbole.

I've teared up at movies before, but
the scene with Paul and the French soldier in the crater made me weep.

I've been reading about the historical inaccuracies, and I read the book back in university, so I understand the criticisms. Still, this movie was masterful in conveying horror, bleakness, and absurdity.

Only a few story choices took me out of it, but that doesn't negate it's greatness. I give it a 9 out of 10.

If you want to watch about 15 hours on the history of WW1, This is free in the US for the current month. https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B0CGLYMMNT/ref=atv_dp_share_cu_r

The professor here is great and I have seen one of his other courses.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
American Fiction - This movie is pretty brilliant. They way the portray interaction between pretentious white elites is hilarious. I think all the characters are well developed and interesting.

Fbh

American_Fiction-838823677-large.jpg

6/10

I really liked some of the ideas and themes it presented, at times it's a great criticism of how media and the entertainment industry approaches the subject of diversity, while also throwing some criticism at the woke virtue signaling mentality.

That said, I thought the movie itself was just ok. It had some interesting stuff to say but it also felt like they didn't know how to turn the core ideas into a full movie, so much of the screen time is spent on some pretty standard family/relationship drama

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I finally got around to watching Oppenheimer, and it was pretty good overall. Definitely worth watching, despite the long runtime.

clarky

Gold Member
Anatomy of a Fall.

Really enjoyed this one, fantastic performances especially from the blind kid. 9/10

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Just now watched The Creator on Disney+Hulu ...

I don't know what some of you lot watched but it was a really touching and heartfelt film ... It was a lot like Chappie and I loved the progression! Once again, humans fuck everything up by lying. The humans were the bad guys, not the AI. I was rooting for Joshua and little Alphie!

Indeed, just like Chappie it was a good concept in a shitty 5/10 movie.

Chappie annoyed me a whole lot more though. Those annoying fucks from Die Antwoord were thankfully not in The Creator.

Anatomy Of A Fall.

Really enjoyed this one, fantastic performances especially from the blind kid. 9/10

Yes that was great. Anatomy of a Fall and Society of the Snow are two of my favourite 2023 movies.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Bronzés
Bronzés font du ski

This one is an acquired taste - long story short these are movies considered cult classics in France, both from end of 1970s. They are VERY, VERY French, down to the way they are shot - there is no plot to speak of, instead it's a series of silly situations where you have to be 'in the know' to get most of it - the humour doesn't rely so much on physical movement or obvious phrases being spoken, it's mostly the climate of the times that make it special.

I don't think they exist with English subtitles.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Jason Bourne Jump GIF by PeacockTV

Bourne Ultimatum

I don’t like watching the third of a series before the first two (ok I have seen the first two) but this movie people die, everything feels purposeful it’s the best movie ever.

Jason Bourne Jump GIF by PeacockTV

Bourne Ultimatum

I don’t like watching the third of a series before the first two (ok I have seen the first two) but this movie people die, everything feels purposeful it’s the best movie ever.
If you watched the first two you already know that is not true. I recommend watching Bourne Legacy with Hawkeye. It has more action.

John Marston

Rewatched "The Devil's Advocate" (1997).
Forgot how subtle Pacino was. His eyes did 80% of his acting.
Didn't fall into the cliché trap.

After some googling I found out I was over 30 years late but I rewatched Terminator 2 & noticed Robert Patrick does not close his eyes or even blink.

Such a nice touch.

Rewatched "The Devil's Advocate" (1997).
Forgot how subtle Pacino was. His eyes did 80% of his acting.
Didn't fall into the cliché trap.

After some googling I found out I was over 30 years late but I rewatched Terminator 2 & noticed Robert Patrick does not close his eyes or even blink.

Such a nice touch.

Man I love this movie so much

Al Pacino GIF

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
The Replacement Killers(1998).

Think someone in last years thread recommended it to me, finally got round to watching it. Man I did not like this film at all. Really cliched and showing its age. Much better action flicks kicking around from the '90's.

Still a film I'd not seen before so not a total waste of time. Antoine Fuqua's a one hit wonder for me.

Edit: I did enjoy seeing Jurgen Prochnow again though so bonus points for that.

Last edited:

KrakenIPA

I watched Napoleon last night. It was pretty cool, I liked the battle scenes and the politics. I didn't mind the narrative love letters. It reminded me of Bram Stoker's Dracula.

John Marston

I watched Napoleon last night. It was pretty cool, I liked the battle scenes and the politics. I didn't mind the narrative love letters. It reminded me of Bram Stoker's Dracula.
The narrative love stuff bothered me a bit but I feel like an impatient asshole after seeing it from your point of view 😊
Josephine was a big part of his life after all.
I also chuckled a few times at Napoleon's sense of humour, it was quite endearing.

Pimpollo818

The Holdovers 4/4 a warm blanket of a movie. loved the writing, the jokes, the pacing. I didn't want it to end. loved spending time with these characters.

Vertigo 2/4 - my first Hitchcock movie. Admittedly, the stalking scenes are slow and put me to sleep. But I loved the twist it takes in the 2nd half and appreciate how the reveal recontextualizes how one experiences the movie after the first time

Prisoners 4/4 - absolutely loved it. the tension, dread, and depraved the father becomes.

Fremont 3/4 - a quiet great little film about displacement and longing.

Bottle Rocket 2/4- nice to see early Anderson. I didn't find it too compelling, but enjoyed it's adolescent/meandering spirit. You can definitely feel the sense of whimsy his later films evoke.

John Marston

Cry Macho (2021).

I love Eastwood both as an actor & director but that one was a bit painful to watch ☹️
I expected him to fall flat on his face at any moment and explode into a million pieces.
There's also this flirtation with a woman in her late 50's/early 60's which didn't seem plausible at all.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Cry Macho (2021).

I love Eastwood both as an actor & director but that one was a bit painful to watch ☹️
I expected him to fall flat on his face at any moment and explode into a million pieces.
There's also this flirtation with a woman in her late 50's/early 60's which didn't seem plausible at all.

I felt exactly the same. That role was obviously written for a much younger lead. It was probably Eastwood's last acting part. He'll be 94 years old soon. He's now shooting his final movie, but thank god he's directing that one instead of acting in it.

Mossybrew

Finally watched Oppenheimer and yeah thumbs up. Its a movie you have to commit to, honestly I recommend watching it alone. I kind of missed the spectacle, in terms of depicting a visual representation of atomic destruction, it barely shows anything. But I get thats not what its about, its about the people involved, and once you get thats what the movie is about, and adjust to the time skips, its fantastic. Some really top notch acting here too. 3 hours of a director at the top of their craft.

bitbydeath

I watched the Marvels, and it was just bland…
Nothing memorable. I don’t get the love Ms Marvel has for Captain Marvel since she only came to Earth once for like 5 mins (during End Game) and the rest of Ms Marvel’s life she was away in space, of which she wouldn't have known her.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I watched the Marvels, and it was just bland…
Nothing memorable. I don’t get the love Ms Marvel has for Captain Marvel since she only came to Earth once for like 5 mins (during End Game) and the rest of Ms Marvel’s life she was away in space, of which she wouldn't have known her.

She was around during the 5 years of the Blip. Not continuously but partially.

bender

What time is it?
Vertigo 2/4 - my first Hitchcock movie. Admittedly, the stalking scenes are slow and put me to sleep. But I loved the twist it takes in the 2nd half and appreciate how the reveal recontextualizes how one experiences the movie after the first time

Let us know when you get to Rear Window. It's easily my favorite Hitchcock movie.

Top Bottom