• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 2023 |OT| There'll be food and drink and ghosts

#8 The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)

I think I watched this once back when it came out. I was in the mood for something dumb last night, and honestly, was looking to save the better stuff for later in the month. But it was pretty good! Not as good as the original, but it's a lot better than I remembered.

Last edited:

Kings Field

#8 The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)

I think I watched this once back when it came out. I was in the mood for something dumb last night, and honestly, was looking to save the better stuff for later in the month. But it was pretty good! Not as good as the original, but it's a lot better than I remembered.

2003 and 2006 are solid TCM movies. Definitely in my top five TCM movies.

#9 Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum (2018)

Korean found footage movie I found on Amazon (AMC+ maybe?). The setup is that a group that streams videos on YouTube goes to a haunted asylum and *plot twist* gets more than they bargained for. Such a cliche setup at this point, but I really liked it. The cast is pretty great, very charismatic, and the tension really jumps up at the end. Maybe it's not an all-timer, but it's a lot better than most found footage stuff.

Last edited:
#10 Friday the 13th (2009)

Decided to go ahead and watch the other 2000s slasher reboot (with TCM from Sunday night). Didn't like this one as much. It did look nice (lighting in particular), but the 'sexy teens' stuff was overdone and the ending sucked. Although it did have Nana Visitor! And the spy nurse from the end of Captain America 1.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Never going to make 31 movies but...

I watched Stephen King's Rose Red last night with the kids. I love this movie, but haven't seen it in maybe 20 years. It's aged... somewhat okay-ish. The fact that it's never been released in high definition is a big letdown - there were lots of interesting set pieces that I think would have looked great in 4K - or even HD! A fair bit of the made-for-TV-in-2001 CGI work was not great on the 77 inch screen.

The story is still wonderful, and the ghosts looked pretty spooky still! Was the first time my kids saw it (they were a bit young when it first came out, my daughter would have been 4 or 5, and my son would have been 2). They also really enjoyed it.

The four-hour runtime was a bit excessive, but being that it was a three part made for TV movie it's understandable. Still holds up as a great haunted house / ghost story movie that's not excessively scary.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
#10 Friday the 13th (2009)

Decided to go ahead and watch the other 2000s slasher reboot (with TCM from Sunday night). Didn't like this one as much. It did look nice (lighting in particular), but the 'sexy teens' stuff was overdone and the ending sucked. Although it did have Nana Visitor! And the spy nurse from the end of Captain America 1.

There was probably a good movie in there but there is a little too much Michael Bay stink on it.

For instance he made them change Willa Ford's death so we could see her ugly fake tits one more time. Originally Jason was going to stalk her up and down the shore of the lake until she finally just runs out of energy and sinks. It might not sound like much but the way Mears (Jason) described the original scene sounded pretty cool. Certainly better than the machette through the top on the head just so Jason could lift her out of the water kill we ended up with.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
#4 No One Will Save You (USA, 2023)

d7136dd4-1b98-4715-937e-f18a2b2aa3be-kaitlyn-dever-looking-scared-hiding-in-no-one-will-save-you.jpg

This little low budget alien invasion movie sure had its moments but I'm not sure it warrants all the hype. I mean, why would the aliens have so much trouble with one white lady? The ending was cool, reminded me a bit of Body Snatchers.

#5 Totally Killer (USA, 2023)

totally-killer.jpg

Very entertaining mix of Happy Death Day and The Final Girls, maybe not a lot of horror but great atmosphere and I thought this was pretty funny at times.

rao.d.luffy

Thanks for making the thread. Unfortunately I can't create threads here on NeoGaf yet, and I even asked users to create the topic by PM, but they couldn't, I had given up and went to post elsewhere
But since I got to know the 31 Days of Horror here on NeoGaf, and it's my only way of participating in Halloween with you guys, I'm going to post it here too and hope that more people will participate and take it forward
This is the 10th year I've taken part, I'll post my movies here later

I got to know some excellent films through the recommendations of users here

Edit: This is my list

Last edited:
There was probably a good movie in there but there is a little too much Michael Bay stink on it.

For instance he made them change Willa Ford's death so we could see her ugly fake tits one more time. Originally Jason was going to stalk her up and down the shore of the lake until she finally just runs out of energy and sinks. It might not sound like much but the way Mears (Jason) described the original scene sounded pretty cool. Certainly better than the machette through the top on the head just so Jason could lift her out of the water kill we ended up with.
This all tracks. If it had just been the stuff in the house, and underground, and that shed thing at the end, it probably would have been fine.

Watched Drag Me To Hell the other day with the wife. I really don't get why people didn't like the movie at the time. I liked it on the rewatch as much as I did when it first came out.. Great dark-comedy horror.

Next up soon is Trick R' Treat and then probably Cabin in the Woods.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Watched Drag Me To Hell the other day with the wife. I really don't get why people didn't like the movie at the time. I liked it on the rewatch as much as I did when it first came out.. Great dark-comedy horror.

Next up soon is Trick R' Treat and then probably Cabin in the Woods.
I think Raimi's horror style is marmite. I started watching Drag Me to Hell again, and the flying Dutch angles and gross/goofy stuff felt at-odds with the true horror of the opening where a poor kid gets dragged to hell. Like, I'm confused as to what the movie's emotional intent is as I'm watching it. But I can see how some people would really vibe with it.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Pearl: This movie was so much better than  X. I don't know if I've ever sympathized with a villain as much as I did with Pearl in this. Not perfect or a masterpiece like I read people online saying, but really good if you like slashers, old movies, and psychodrama.

#12 Chernobyl Diaries

I didn't hate it, but man was it bland. I do give it a bit of extra credit for having Pasha Lychnikoff (of Deadwood and Miami Vice) show up at the end for a second.

#12 Chernobyl Diaries

I didn't hate it, but man was it bland. I do give it a bit of extra credit for having Pasha Lychnikoff (of Deadwood and Miami Vice) show up at the end for a second.
Agreed... I loved the premise and build up, it was all moving up nicely on a good trajectory then sort of tapered, went fnnnmerrrrrrrrmmm... Downhill. 😐

Really wanted it to be good.

Agreed... I loved the premise and build up, it was all moving up nicely on a good trajectory then sort of tapered, went fnnnmerrrrrrrrmmm... Downhill. 😐

Really wanted it to be good.
Right! There was a period in the middle when things were starting to go wrong that I was pretty into it. And then it just fizzled out, and then the reveal (if you can call it that) at the end was a real nothingburger.

#13 Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan

I chose poorly tonight. I was going to watch Alien but then thinking about the date made me pick a Jason movie I hadn't seen yet. It's the worst kind of bad, boring bad.

Right! There was a period in the middle when things were starting to go wrong that I was pretty into it. And then it just fizzled out, and then the reveal (if you can call it that) at the end was a real nothingburger.
Correct mate... I imagine when pitching the idea it was all 'yeah yeah, cool, cool... So they - ahhhh love it LOVE IT! How are we gonna wind it up for a magnificent last 30 minutes?'

"Erm, yeah - we'll figure that out, I'm sure..."

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Pearl: This movie was so much better than  X. I don't know if I've ever sympathized with a villain as much as I did with Pearl in this. Not perfect or a masterpiece like I read people online saying, but really good if you like slashers, old movies, and psychodrama.
I loved X so I'll have to watch b this one. I've been meaning to for ages

fart town usa

Gold Member
Watched Happy Death Day 2U on Friday, did not like it at all. Found it to be incredibly boring and it's not even a horror/slasher movie.

The first one seemed like the dumbest trailer I had ever seen but the wife and I saw in in theaters and it's actually a fun teen slasher. Sequel is trying to do way too much and incorporates multiverse shit. The bulk of the movie is just a total slog, and then the "slasher" reveal was so fucking stupid. Complete waste of time.

Watched Welcome to Raccoon City last night, man that movie is bad but I enjoy the OST, the overall vibe, and the way it's filmed. It also looks good on 4k HDR, etc. Most things in the film don't really work and the script is an absolute dumpster fire but yea, can't help but appreciate the overall atmosphere and the cinematography.

fart town usa

Gold Member
A few to watch if anyone hasn't seen them:

Bone Tomahawk
Housebound
Ready Or Not
Fido
Hell House LLC
As Above So Below
Bone Tomahawk is amazing but that scene at the end is so effective that I honestly don't think I can ever watch the movie a 2nd time.

S. Craig Zahler is great, I love his creative output. Shudder has a radio drama type thing from a screenplay of his, it's pretty cool. I also love how people tried to cancel him and he was basically like "fuck off, I'm creative and want to write interesting stories."

kurisu_1974

#6 Attachment (Denmark, 2022)

csm_Photo-by-Soeren-Kirkegaard3_header_1200x600px_9d00407349.jpeg

A pretty slow and uneventful demonic possession movie with the interesting angle being that it is rooted in Jewish mysticism rather than Christian. I feel they could have done much more with this.

#7 Mark of the Vampire (USA, 1935)

37787421_1787683021286218_3927373358806597632_n.jpg

Very disjointed and a rather stupid plot with an even worse twist, not Tod Browning's best work. Even Bela Lugosi is quoted as saying the didn't buy any of it.

kurisu_1974

#15 Event Horizon

Have seen it several times. Great atmosphere and pacing. I always forget that it's directed by the other Paul Anderson. I think I'm going to do a "sci fi horror" theme this week.

Probably one of the only good movies he ever made. His latest one (Monster Hunter) was Uwe Boll levels of stink.

near

Gold Member
#6 Attachment (Denmark, 2022)

csm_Photo-by-Soeren-Kirkegaard3_header_1200x600px_9d00407349.jpeg

A pretty slow and uneventful demonic possession movie with the interesting angle being that it is rooted in Jewish mysticism rather than Christian. I feel they could have done much more with this.
I watched this a few months back. It builds on its premise so well imo, but fails to end at its crescendo while trying to leave its ending open-ended and meaningful. It could've been a classic.

xrnzaaas

Watched Happy Death Day 2U on Friday, did not like it at all. Found it to be incredibly boring and it's not even a horror/slasher movie.

The first one seemed like the dumbest trailer I had ever seen but the wife and I saw in in theaters and it's actually a fun teen slasher. Sequel is trying to do way too much and incorporates multiverse shit. The bulk of the movie is just a total slog, and then the "slasher" reveal was so fucking stupid. Complete waste of time.

Watched Welcome to Raccoon City last night, man that movie is bad but I enjoy the OST, the overall vibe, and the way it's filmed. It also looks good on 4k HDR, etc. Most things in the film don't really work and the script is an absolute dumpster fire but yea, can't help but appreciate the overall atmosphere and the cinematography.
Happy Death Day and its sequel aren't really supposed to be typical slashers. They're primarily groundhog day flicks. I enjoyed both of them despite rather poor revelations about the identity of the killers. I don't think the series needs another movie though (they're planning a third one).

I rewatched Thirteen Ghosts myself (the one from 2001). Damn it's a dumb flick, but some ghost designs and deaths were cool. Make sure to bring popcorn as long as you have a strong stomach for blood & gruesome deaths.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Happy Death Day and its sequel aren't really supposed to be typical slashers. They're primarily groundhog day flicks. I enjoyed both of them despite rather poor revelations about the identity of the killers. I don't think the series needs another movie though (they're planning a third one).

I rewatched Thirteen Ghosts myself (the one from 2001). Damn it's a dumb flick, but some ghost designs and deaths were cool. Make sure to bring popcorn as long as you have a strong stomach for blood & gruesome deaths.
For sure. The first definitely had more focus on the slasher aspect.

I liked the beginning of the sequel and thought it was going to focus on the Asian guy but then when the girl got involved it just turned into a comedy mixed with sap (girls mom, etc). Just expected something different cause the first was a really pleasant surprise for me. Felt like they tried too much with 2 and couldn't get everything to gel as well.

Glad you liked it though 🍻

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Bone Tomahawk is amazing but that scene at the end is so effective that I honestly don't think I can ever watch the movie a 2nd time.

S. Craig Zahler is great, I love his creative output. Shudder has a radio drama type thing from a screenplay of his, it's pretty cool. I also love how people tried to cancel him and he was basically like "fuck off, I'm creative and want to write interesting stories."
Zahler is the man. Not many places you can watch characters who are not 100% politically correct and who have shades of gray.

More than that, he writes emotionally effective and uncliche stories, and isn't afraid to punch you in the gut. I'm thinking of a particular vignette in Dragged Across Concrete. If you know, you know.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Halloween 2018, very strong movie, you get a chance to see Michael Myers without this mask. The characters were great and everything about it was good and than Halloween Kills took the thing even further.

sedg87

Banned
Watched so far:
1. Talk to Me
2. House of Wax
3. The Shout
4. The Uninvited
5. Madhouse
6. VHS85
7. Totally Killer
8. Leviathan
9. Pet Sematary Bloodlines
10. Trilogy of Terror
11. Teax Chainsaw Massacre 2
12. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
13. The Nun 2

Been slacking lately. Think I'll watch The Lost Boys tonight.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
#2 Silver Bullet (1985)

A surprisingly fun, and still very watchable, 80s horror movie. Gary Busey plays... Gary Busey - the fun lovable drunk uncle. Corey Haim (RIP) is a crippled kid with a high-powered gas wheelchair that drives around town. The whole thing was honestly a bit of a laugh, and despite having a few scenes with some gore in them and a few stray out of place f-bombs, this could easily get a PG-13 rating by today's standards.

Not exactly scary, but the creature was pretty well done and a few of the deaths are also well done. Acting was great. Nostalgia for the 70s and 80s on full display here, although my kids both liked it. Had to explain to them why a TV playing patriotic music and then flipping over to static was a common plot device back then to tell the viewers it was the middle of the night (they couldn't fathom a world where there simply wasn't something on TV), and also had to explain how recycling used to work. Otherwise, this movie feels right at home with some other 80s coming of age flicks. I liked it!

GreenAlien

The Last Voyage of the Demeter 2023
TnpReE5URUAuanBn

The only good thing about this is the premise. Dracula on a boat? I expected something like The Terror S1, but this was just painfully boring with no redeeming qualities. Sailors are morons.

The Awakening 2011
Zw

This is a haunted house kind of story, not really scary, but I liked it a lot until the final twists.. none of them worked and they really degraded this film for me.

Tag 2015
tag-dvd.jpg

I kind of liked the first few minutes, but this was just bloody, very bloody nonsense and i didn't finish it.

Navy Seals vs. Zombies 2015
MmNkMTQxOTVlZg

Terrible. I watched maybe 15 minutes and have nothing else to say about it. Avoid.

Totally Killer 2023
Zw

It's woke and terrible. Not funny. She goes to the past with a time machine and the only thing she has on her mind is how racist and sexist everything used to be. No thanks.

The Descent: Part 2
OGNnLmpwZw

The first part was amazing. Part two is a cash grab, the direction is worse, the story stupid and the monsters are not scary anymore.

The Lair 2023
LmpwZWc

Only seen the first 10 minutes, but it looks cheap.

Sinister 2012
TC5qcGc

Only seen 1/3 yesterday, but that was suspenseful. I hope it stays strong until the end, gonna watch the rest now.

kurisu_1974

#8 They Look Like People (USA, 2015)

They-Look-Like-People-1.jpg

Super low budget indie horror that would probably bore most people but I could appreciate it, about a guy that thinks some evil entity is taking over the people around him.

#9 The Last Voyage of the Demeter (USA, 2023)

last-voyage1-cjpw-videoSixteenByNine3000.jpg

I have to agree with most here, this was a boring movie with uninteresting characters.

#10 The Priests (South Korea, 2015)

marcusgohmarcusgoh-thepriestsreview-4.jpg

Very interesting to see a Korean take on Christian demonic possession, but the movie isn't that good. There's some side plot about possible abuse that gets abandoned, and the pacing is a bit off.

#17 Aliens

Obviously the standard description is "Alien is a horror movie, Aliens is an action movie." And yes, there are lots of guns in Aliens, but I was surprised this time at how many scenes lean more toward horror, specifically building up the tension and "the monster might be behind me." And as always, Cameron is a master at editing and characterization.

Remember kids, management will always screw you over!

The Last Voyage of the Demeter 2023
TnpReE5URUAuanBn

The only good thing about this is the premise. Dracula on a boat? I expected something like The Terror S1, but this was just painfully boring with no redeeming qualities. Sailors are morons.

The Awakening 2011
Zw

This is a haunted house kind of story, not really scary, but I liked it a lot until the final twists.. none of them worked and they really degraded this film for me.

Tag 2015
tag-dvd.jpg

I kind of liked the first few minutes, but this was just bloody, very bloody nonsense and i didn't finish it.

Navy Seals vs. Zombies 2015
MmNkMTQxOTVlZg

Terrible. I watched maybe 15 minutes and have nothing else to say about it. Avoid.

Totally Killer 2023
Zw

It's woke and terrible. Not funny. She goes to the past with a time machine and the only thing she has on her mind is how racist and sexist everything used to be. No thanks.

The Descent: Part 2
OGNnLmpwZw

The first part was amazing. Part two is a cash grab, the direction is worse, the story stupid and the monsters are not scary anymore.

The Lair 2023
LmpwZWc

Only seen the first 10 minutes, but it looks cheap.

Sinister 2012
TC5qcGc

Only seen 1/3 yesterday, but that was suspenseful. I hope it stays strong until the end, gonna watch the rest now.
I watched The Lair a few months ago. It's really, really bad. Hard to believe it was directed by the same guy who made The Descent.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
#8 They Look Like People (USA, 2015)

They-Look-Like-People-1.jpg

Super low budget indie horror that would probably bore most people but I could appreciate it, about a guy that thinks some evil entity is taking over the people around him.
+1 This movie is really good, imo. Sad and scary to think some people live their lives like the mentally ill (or is he???) character.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I rewatched Blair Witch (2016) and then The Blair Witch Project.

Blair Witch is not a good movie, but does have some memorable parts. The acting in it especially pales in comparison in the acting in:

The Blair Witch Project. People who say "NoThInG hApPeNs" must have been on their phones or have no imagination. The acting, especially by Heather, is raw and real. I'd put it up there with Toni Collette's grief scene in Hereditary, and Heather pulls off multiple scenes like that.

This movie is lightning in a bottle. Other found footage movies have been more "entertaining", but none of those come close to immersing me in the story and investing in the characters as TBWP. If you don't think the final shot is creepy, you might've missed how it ties back to a story the townsfolk tell at the beginning.

A classic for a reason.

rao.d.luffy

I've been planning all year to watch all the horror movies in October, but when the month arrives, X amount of things always happen and it becomes difficult to watch them
But I'm here and I'm strong, I just won't be able to post my comment or I won't have time to post or watch any more movies:

8 - Smile - 7,5/10

9 -Trick or Treat 9/10

10 - Ghost Lab 5/10

11 - The Conference 5/10

12 - No one will save you 9/10

13 - The Boogeyman 7/10

14 - Pearl 8/10

15 - The Craft 8,5/10

Top Bottom