• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| September 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
CsLJLxUUkAAtIJV.jpg

I'm sure the title is more inflammatory than it actually is though. 'editors' on the cover means it's just a collection of interviews gathered into one book, not actually new work by a writer. So the title is more to piss people o- I mean, excite potential readers than anything else.

Also, what's that Spielberg bible on the right?
(and I can't believe we're bringing in books now *squeeee* )

I'd really interested to read what the philosophy of JJ Abrams could possibly be. He's made a career of having no original artistic thought in any of his work. Would it just be him talking about imitating Spielberg in Super 8 and Force Awakens?

Those "the philosophy of" books are typically a collection of essays written by philosophers wherein individual movies are expounded upon in terms of a particular philosophical school of thought. The one about the Coens talks about Barton Fink in terms of Heidegger's problem of interpretation, and The Big Lebowski one contrasts what the author dubs "Dudeism" against nihilism, hedonism, authoritarianism, fascism, and a few other philosophies the various characters are said to embody.

I liked Maze Runner. It's teeny stuff but was kind of fun. Been wanting to see the sequel but haven't yet.

both maze runners are amazing.

too bad the main actor got injured.

Thanks for the replies

I'd been curious and intrigued by it, myself. I forgot to PVR the first one when it was on TMN, so I got it from the library and saved the second one in HD. The first is just on DVD, but I don't really care.

I'll watch them soon.

big ander

I haven't read any of 'em but those "Philosophy of" books litter college bookstores. Philosophy of The Walking Dead, Philosophy of Firefly, etc. etc. I think the hope is that dumb rich kids will throw them on their pile of books then use them as doorstops in their dorms

Speaking of books, my copy of the Stanley Kubrick archives arrived today. It's a new smaller edition, but for a gorgeous 800+ page hardcover book you can't go wrong for $14.

Last week I watched Top Gun for the first time.

So fucking cheesy... and less exciting than I was expecting. I always thought it was this badass aerial combat movie, but the only combat is shoehorned in at the very end. Lame. Why is this considered to be an American classic?

Ridley327

I don't think anyone in their right mind holds up Top Gun as anything other than a cheesy blockbuster with a rad soundtrack that helped to turbocharge Tom Cruise's career.

big ander

So fucking cheesy... and less exciting than I was expecting. I always thought it was this badass aerial combat movie, but the only combat is shoehorned in at the very end. Lame. Why is this considered to be an American classic?

It is not

(decent movie though, if you're not allergic to cheese. but yeah I don't think even the Tony Scott die-hards—those who stump for Unstoppable and the Pelham remake as modern classics—will die on the Top Gun hill)

Nightcrawler: I do like the cinemtography here. I like the look into freelance photojournalism. What I don't like is
movies where the psycho bad guy wins. Movies like Sicario, No Country For Old Men, and Creep.
. Don't like this movie much.

I kept being distracted by Tom Cruise teeth in Top Gun

also how the whole movie bends over backwards to placate Maverick. "Maverick you're the fuckin' best omg but you're also dangerous so stop that but you're also great" "Maverick we cant be together I'm a professional instructor oh you just keep trying that turns me on" "Maverick you're amazing ass pilot you got Goose killed I hope you're still able to fly and get over this you amazing man"

Like Goose freakin' dies, and an oddly sexy Amy Ryan(Goose's wife) all she can think about is how Maverick feels.

Its like that Simpsons episode. "When Poochy isn't on screen, all the other characters should ask each other, 'Where's Poochy?"

I don't think anyone in their right mind holds up Top Gun as anything other than a cheesy blockbuster with a rad soundtrack that helped to turbocharge Tom Cruise's career.

It is not

(decent movie though, if you're not allergic to cheese. but yeah I don't think even the Tony Scott die-hards—those who stump for Unstoppable and the Pelham remake as modern classics—will die on the Top Gun hill)
You've both lost that loving feeling for sure

Blader

I kept being distracted by Tom Cruise teeth in Top Gun

also how the whole movie bends over backwards to placate Maverick. "Maverick you're the fuckin' best omg but you're also dangerous so stop that but you're also great" "Maverick we cant be together I'm a professional instructor oh you just keep trying that turns me on" "Maverick you're amazing ass pilot you got Goose killed I hope you're still able to fly and get over this you amazing man"

Like Goose freakin' dies, and an oddly sexy Amy Ryan(Goose's wife) all she can think about is how Maverick feels.

Its like that Simpsons episode. "When Poochy isn't on screen, all the other characters should ask each other, 'Where's Poochy?"

At first I went, what the fuck, Amy Ryan was in Top Gun?!

But then I looked it up and it was Meg Ryan

But what the fuck, since when was Meg Ryan in Top Gun?!

P-p-p-p-l-a-yingggg!!! Playing with the boys!!

It is cheesey, but I have different thoughts about it, I dunno.

The thing that still holds up well with the movie is the opening scene which is probably the best part of the movie imo. The cinematography and editing of the F-14's taking off from the aircraft carrier was absolutely amazing and there's still nothing like it really. The U.S Navy let them film on The Enterprise during normal operations to get shots of jets taking off. It's authentic and real as you can possibly get.

Yes the film is cheesey during the second half, but some of the stuff they did cinematography wise was pretty amazing and it's still really unique.

edit: I dunno, in today's land of CG that people bitch about constantly I'm surprised you guys don't appreciate stuff like that.

lordxar

Top Gun was awesome as a kid! I kind of dig it as am adult but damn is it homoerotic. Anyone for shirtless and sweaty men's volleyball? That shits hard to watch and not laugh at these days. I do like the real planes except that the Migs are like repainted American trainers or something so we don't get cool looking Russian planes as advertised. All in all it is a fun movie but it just didn't hold up as well as it could have.

X-Men: Apocalypse

I really, really enjoyed that. It was great seeing all the different mutants, though some didn't get anywhere near the amount of screen time they should've. I also wanted more on Apocalypse. The first trailers showed some of his early life, right? I would've liked to see at least a glimpse of his rise to power.

⭐⭐⭐⭐★

TheFlow

Banned
Was scrolling through Letterbox. What's everyone's top 4 movies?

mine:
whiplash
scott pilgrim vs the world
perks of being a wall flower
the spectacular now

mine:
whiplash
the spectacular now

All of those movies are quite good. I especially like The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

My top 4? Of all-time? Yikes.

1. Rear Window
2. American Beauty
3. Planes, Trains and Automobiles
4. Donnie Darko

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Thanks for the replies

I'd been curious and intrigued by it, myself. I forgot to PVR the first one when it was on TMN, so I got it from the library and saved the second one in HD. The first is just on DVD, but I don't really care.

I'll watch them soon.

Maze Runner was like a 4/5 for me. Really enjoyed it. Totally surprised.

Scorch Trials is maybe a 2/5.

TheFlow

Banned
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 2004 ★★★★★

Watched Sep 12, 2016
Carl’s review published on Letterboxd :
Confusing to follow at first but once everything started coming together for me I became engrossed. I actually appreciate what the film did towards the end, and will definitely watch this again to appreciate all the subtle stuff. One of Carey's best, and such a beautiful film all around.

feels good to get this movie off my backlog. I can why it is held as a classic

lordxar

mine:
whiplash
the spectacular now

The Thing
The Martian
Bone Tomahawk
The Men Who Tread on the Tigers Tail

Honestly I'm not sure that those exact four are my top four. The Thing is a given but I can and do rotate the others here and there. I could easily put Alien, Aliens, Predator, Seven Samurai, Grand Budapest, Whiplash, 2001, the Raid, etc. Maybe I will swap out Tiger Tail for Seven Samurai though...

TheFlow

Banned
The Thing
The Martian
Bone Tomahawk
The Men Who Tread on the Tigers Tail

Honestly I'm not sure that those exact four are my top four. The Thing is a given but I can and do rotate the others here and there. I could easily put Alien, Aliens, Predator, Seven Samurai, Grand Budapest, Whiplash, 2001, the Raid, etc. Maybe I will swap out Tiger Tail for Seven Samurai though...
Tigers tail has some damn good acting.

Tommy (1975) was a really enjoyable adaptation of a classic album from one of my favorite bands. Between brisk pace as a result of the film being 100% sung and the consistently interesting visuals, this was a hard movie to take my eyes off of, and it felt a good deal shorter than it was.

And 12 Angry Men (1957) was just superbly acted and written. Just absolutely gripping.

Just rewatched the Resident Evil saga over the last week. Despite the relative wonkiness of 2, this is probably the most criminally underrated series ever. I never expected a time in which I would more highly anticipate a new RE over a new Star Wars.

UberTag

Nocturnal Animals - Pretentious to a fault; a fault that was largely mitigated by an entertaining and informative Q&A session with Tom Ford following the screening.

Of course, A Single Man was similar in this regard and most viewers won't have the benefit of a helpful answer key post-viewing to explain the significance of certain scenes and underlying messages so I have to judge the film on its own merits.

Michael Shannon delivers one dynamo of a supporting performance that is nomination-worthy as he steals most every scene he's in. He's been doing this in lesser films for the last few years so I'm hopeful he'll garner some acclaim now that he's doing it in a film that is being warmly received by critics.

Incidentally, I truly believe this film boasts one of the most audacious opening credits sequences in cinematic history. 7/10

Jackie - The first of two Pablo Larrain flicks I'm screening this week, Jackie is an astutely made biopic boasting a fascinating portrayal of the former first lady courtesy of Natalie Portman. L

She seems to lose herself in her role at times (evocative of some noteworthy Daniel Day-Lewis depictions of historical figures) and is at the forefront of every scene thanks to some daring scene framing approaches by Larrain and the decision to exclude every scene not featuring Jackie at its core from the final cut.

Even better, he avoids painting Jackie out as simply a victim as the premise of focusing a movie around the days post-JFK assassination would lead one to expect. Better than I was expecting. 7.5/10

Indignation - Not a festival film but still the pleasant surprise of the day. This movie cleverly masks its core premise while spinning a coming of age story starring Logan Lerman that easily measures up to recent efforts like The Spectacular Now and The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

You will watch this film without being entirely sure what it's about for quite a while and that's entirely by design. That said, the back and forth between Lerman's Marcus and Tracy Letts' Dean Caudwell is easily one of the best written and acted sequences I've seen all year (up there with the swingers party in The Nice Guys and the birthday party in Toni Erdmann). 8.5/10

Glad to hear about Shannon killing it in animals. Dude's my favorite actor at the moment so him being cast in Fords movie was exciting news to me

TheFlow

Banned
Yeah. It was my favorite Kurosawa right up until Seven Samurai too. Until now I didn't really think about changing it but now that I look at my list again I think it's time to make the swap.
I would definitely put seven samurai above it imo

Embrace of the Serpent - Well, this was just a fantastic motion picture! A love letter to the original expedition of the tribal Amazon, this all black and white film explores it all. So, how in the fuck did Son of Saul beat this out for Best Foreign Film? 9/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom