• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| September 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
laura%20dern%20crying%20blue%20velvet.jpg

edit: not even gonna quote what this is a response to, just let this laura dern face float at the top of the page context free

Woorloog

Banned
Yesterday, i watched Oblivion again. I saw it in a theater when it came out in 2013, and i think i didn't like it really. A perceived plot-hole (that was actually a misunderstanding on my part) hurt the experience.
But now... I ended up appreciating its awesome vistas, interesting designs and desolate feeling quite a lot.
The story is rather thin for sure, and the premise is utter nonsense (aliens attacking Earth for resources? Why the fuck? Stuff's found far more easily elsewhere in the solar system) but it is entertaining in an "old-school way", i think. And Tom Cruise's performance is pretty good.
But the true draw of the film is the beautiful soundtrack by M83. Perfect fit for the film's style and visuals. Indeed, it is certainly in my top-10 film soundtracks.
It won't be a classic film by any measure unlike Star Wars or 2001: A Space Odyssey but it is good enough.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Indeed M83 rounded out Oblivion very nicely. Same way Daft Punk helped along the new Tron. Same director, so give him a little credit.

Woorloog

Banned
Tron (any one of them) actually worth watching? Never seen any of them.
Though i can't say i find the concept particularly interesting based on what little i know of them.

HoJu

Nocturnal Animals - Pretentious to a fault; a fault that was largely mitigated by an entertaining and informative Q&A session with Tom Ford following the screening.

Of course, A Single Man was similar in this regard and most viewers won't have the benefit of a helpful answer key post-viewing to explain the significance of certain scenes and underlying messages so I have to judge the film on its own merits.

Michael Shannon delivers one dynamo of a supporting performance that is nomination-worthy as he steals most every scene he's in. He's been doing this in lesser films for the last few years so I'm hopeful he'll garner some acclaim now that he's doing it in a film that is being warmly received by critics.

Incidentally, I truly believe this film boasts one of the most audacious opening credits sequences in cinematic history. 7/10

People gotta put those phones away....
Thought it was alright. Funnier then I thought it'd be though. Opening was hypnotic. Shannon is mvp. Jena Malone too.

Paterson was incredibly charming. Best Jarmusch.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Though i can't say i find the concept particularly interesting based on what little i know of them.

Well i mean, the old Tron was good for its time, its a very strange movie to watch now, and doesnt hold up visually beyond being something different to look at. The new tron looks and sounds amazing, so the mileage will vary depending on how much you like the actors and story. I personally enjoyed it for what it was but the story wasnt much good. Olivia Wilde was basically eye candy and it was nice seeing Jeff Bridges i guess. The action scenes are great. Oblivion is def the better movie. But they both had very memorable soundtracks that complemented things in similar ways which is why i mentioned it.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Nocturnal Animals - Pretentious to a fault; a fault that was largely mitigated by an entertaining and informative Q&A session with Tom Ford following the screening.

Of course, A Single Man was similar in this regard and most viewers won't have the benefit of a helpful answer key post-viewing to explain the significance of certain scenes and underlying messages so I have to judge the film on its own merits.

Michael Shannon delivers one dynamo of a supporting performance that is nomination-worthy as he steals most every scene he's in. He's been doing this in lesser films for the last few years so I'm hopeful he'll garner some acclaim now that he's doing it in a film that is being warmly received by critics.

Incidentally, I truly believe this film boasts one of the most audacious opening credits sequences in cinematic history. 7/10

Jackie - The first of two Pablo Larrain flicks I'm screening this week, Jackie is an astutely made biopic boasting a fascinating portrayal of the former first lady courtesy of Natalie Portman. L

She seems to lose herself in her role at times (evocative of some noteworthy Daniel Day-Lewis depictions of historical figures) and is at the forefront of every scene thanks to some daring scene framing approaches by Larrain and the decision to exclude every scene not featuring Jackie at its core from the final cut.

Even better, he avoids painting Jackie out as simply a victim as the premise of focusing a movie around the days post-JFK assassination would lead one to expect. Better than I was expecting. 7.5/10

Indignation - Not a festival film but still the pleasant surprise of the day. This movie cleverly masks its core premise while spinning a coming of age story starring Logan Lerman that easily measures up to recent efforts like The Spectacular Now and The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

You will watch this film without being entirely sure what it's about for quite a while and that's entirely by design. That said, the back and forth between Lerman's Marcus and Tracy Letts' Dean Caudwell is easily one of the best written and acted sequences I've seen all year (up there with the swingers party in The Nice Guys and the birthday party in Toni Erdmann). 8.5/10

what's the second Larrain you're seeing this week?

lordxar

The Men Who Tread on the Tiger's Tail is the most unusual pick for favorite movie I think I've ever seen

The whole story was insanely ballsy from the main characters pov so I loved it.

First one is good if a bit dated in graphics but it adds ambience. I'm not keen on 2.

big ander

Beautiful City - Asghar Farhadi's second feature, another of his compelling dramatic webs. Such a great performance from Taraneh Alidoosti (About Elly's Elly) and a warm/tragic romantic element.
Just rewatched the Resident Evil saga over the last week. Despite the relative wonkiness of 2, this is probably the most criminally underrated series ever. I never expected a time in which I would more highly anticipate a new RE over a new Star Wars.

Nice, had been planning for the RE series to be an October project. that and a primer on Argento.

smisk

Finally made it out to see Kubo and the Two Strings today. Such a beautiful and charming movie, definitely the best animated film I've seen in years. Has some pretty touching moments, and doesn't really feel like it's made for kids IMO. One of my favorite 2016 movies, really want to see some BTS stuff.

Through a Glass Darkly. Yo what the fuck, this was soul destroying. Amazingly beautiful, haunting film. By far the best Bergman film I've seen thus far. Reminded me of Tarkovsky's The Sacrifice a bit, (or vice versa, since that came later) except this was much better.

UrbanRats

Through a Glass Darkly. Yo what the fuck, this was soul destroying. Amazingly beautiful, haunting film. By far the best Bergman film I've seen thus far. Reminded me of Tarkovsky's The Sacrifice a bit, (or vice versa, since that came later) except this was much better.

Oh yeah, i had trouble sleeping, after seeing it.

top 5 Bergman tbh

UberTag

what's the second Larrain you're seeing this week?
Catching Neruda on Sunday.

One more before I crash for my requisite 3 hours of sleep during festival week...

American Honey - This slice of Americana was both visually arresting and boasted a great soundtrack but is otherwise empty of all stakes, character growth and substance over the course of its 2 hour and 43 minute run-time. Shia LaBeouf also violated the "half your age plus 7" rule in this film which probably means he's far too old to be getting cast for parts like this. 4.5/10

Up next...

la-la-land-slice-600x200.jpg

It's in my memories. The most powerful magic there is.
kubo-and-the-two-strings-origami.jpg

Kubo and the Two Strings
I shouldn't have been surprised that this would turn out to be a more personal affair, because this is Laika and they're great at bringing the fantastical from tragedy but rooting it all in sadness. With Coraline and Paranorman, they felt more grounded in that they were smaller settings but here there is a hero's epic journey, so I was expecting just a competent action adventure with Japanese mythology. The cinematography and sights are gorgeous, the side characters are worth rooting for, the visual humor and music is excellent, and the action is more engaging and better choreographed than many action films this year.

However, I was not expecting a more meta-textual and familial tale about storytelling and having loved ones live on in your memories past their living presence. A central motif is lanterns being lit and made to flow in the river as memorials to passed relatives. The film is essentially grieving therapy, which might not seem the most kid-friendly especially for an animated film "for kids" but it's also the kind that was dearly beloved in the 80s and feels more important than other animated escapist fare.

Was holding back tears at the end. Fantastic end credits sequence. Parents will most likely lose it. One of the best films of the year.

TheFlow

Banned

Sean C

Was scrolling through Letterbox. What's everyone's top 4 movies?
Henry V (1989)
The Incredibles (2004)
Moonrise Kingdom (2012)
The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

Giant (1956): 3 hours and 21 minutes? Well, the title is appropriate in that respect. As a film it has a number of good points, but it's ponderous and lacks any coherent central thread for its multi-generational family narrative. Toward the end there's an attempt to make it look like the whole thing has been about Rock Hudson learning to not be such a huge racist (even though he still
refers to his grandson as a "wetback" in the final scene
, so we're talking baby steps here). Despite its huge running time, it's full of barely developed characters, such as Sal Mineo's Angel, who, after being introduced as a baby, appears for a single scene as an adult before heading off to World War II, yet
we're supposed to be deeply moved when he is killed
. There's also, amusingly and somewhat jarringly, a very young Dennis Hopper, playing way against his future type as a sensitive young doctor.

In the movie's favour, I will say that it's a bit surprising to see a mid-50s Hollywood film that is so muscularly in favour of not just equal rights and anti-racism, but very specifically in favour of interracial marriage, and which (none too subtly)
closes on shots of Hudson and Elizabeth Taylor's two grandchildren, one white and one half-Mexican, suggesting they both equally represent the future of Texas
. This current election cycle shows that's still a radical statement even today in some quarters. It's also, through Taylor's character, fairly pro-woman.

And then there's James Dean, in his final onscreen appearance. Ironically, the man who has gone down in American pop iconography as the embodiment of restless youth spends half of his final film in old age makeup, boozing and dating Taylor's daughter because she reminds him of her mother. It's...not a very good performance, honestly. The whole character feels barely developed, and ancillary to everything else. Though I do like that while he's initially set up that you might think he's the more sensitive alternative to Hudson for Taylor's affections, he's quickly shown to be as racist as Hudson is, and unlike Hudson, never changes.

TheFlow

Banned
Demolition 2015
image-63059691-d203-45b1-a030-3eb50600b339-e1460073716629.jpg

★★★★ Watched 13 Sep, 2016

Before you Begin to read my review, click this link and let it play.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZuW6BH_Vak

I was very excited for this movie when I saw the trailer, but the reviews seem mixed so I passed on it. Months later I decided to pick it up on redbox. Let me tell my experience:

What a fucking roller coaster of raw emotions and great acting from everyone. Best way to describe this movie is like a perfect onion. Full of layers that leave you crying. Like Davis Mitchell said "My life is a metaphor". Watching Davis process his wife's death throughout the movie was heartbreaking. Perfect example of how everyone grieves in their own way.
I am a huge fan of Jake and I think this is one of his all time best performances. Like I think this movie cemented him into my top 4 actors of all time. The plot is thin, but who gives a fuck because his acting is so convincing you don't even notice till towards the end.

Don't listen to reviews on this go out and watch this asap. Don't be like me. Only reason this didn't get a perfect rating was due to the plot being thin, and one mystery never being answered.

Currygan

please check El Club by Larrain as well. Goddamn unsettling movie with four incredible actors

Son of Saul was a very good, if deliberately exhausting movie, that nevertheless should have lost the Oscar to Mustang.

nah man. Mustang is decent at best

TheFlow

Banned
Sing Street
I love everything about John Carney movies but this is easily my favorite. The teenage irish cast are all so loveable. They make the best out of the shitty hand given to them. The mix of music and heartfelt moments are top notch. I think will actually buy the whole soundtrack of this. This will definitely become a cult classic, and will be one of those hidden gems that people really didn't know about till the best of 2016 list come out.

5/5 and maybe my favorite 2016 so far. The 97 rotten tomato score is right for once

daydream

Banned
Toni Erdmann: A film with two main characters of which, sadly, only one is truly convincing. Everything that deals with the daughter's desolate life in Bukarest is a terrific and well-observed satire that manages to both nail the lighter notes as well as providing moments of profound catharsis. When the film focuses on the titular persona of Ines' father Winfried, it loses drive or becomes aggravatingly on-the-nose with regard to the character's subversive qualities - a character that is best served as catalyst for some undoubtedly hilarious situations rather than the embodiment of (admittedly ambivalent) levity. Put more plainly, the film suffers from its own length and was in need of a more rigorous selective process which would, ultimately, have required a keener eye for the strengths of the script as opposed to clinging onto the sluggish, quirky nature of Simonischek's character. Even more plainly put, it is a shame that 'Toni Erdmann' did not release as 'Ines' instead.

Currygan

Bridge of Spies makes me angry, because there's a rather solid movie underneath the mega cringe jingo

T Dollarz

It's in my memories. The most powerful magic there is.
kubo-and-the-two-strings-origami.jpg

Kubo and the Two Strings
I shouldn't have been surprised that this would turn out to be a more personal affair, because this is Laika and they're great at bringing the fantastical from tragedy but rooting it all in sadness. With Coraline and Paranorman, they felt more grounded in that they were smaller settings but here there is a hero's epic journey, so I was expecting just a competent action adventure with Japanese mythology. The cinematography and sights are gorgeous, the side characters are worth rooting for, the visual humor and music is excellent, and the action is more engaging and better choreographed than many action films this year.

However, I was not expecting a more meta-textual and familial tale about storytelling and having loved ones live on in your memories past their living presence. A central motif is lanterns being lit and made to flow in the river as memorials to passed relatives. The film is essentially grieving therapy, which might not seem the most kid-friendly especially for an animated film "for kids" but it's also the kind that was dearly beloved in the 80s and feels more important than other animated escapist fare.

Was holding back tears at the end. Fantastic end credits sequence. Parents will most likely lose it. One of the best films of the year.

*slow clap* yesss, so much this post. Movie was beautiful, in every sense.

UberTag

La La Land - As much as I appreciate the look and aesthetic of this film, I can't help but feel like it tries to play things a little too cute. It seems to suffer from commitment issues... whether it's to the romance between Sebastian and Mia, fully original tracks (we get a cover montage at one point), developing anyone outside of the two leads or just using them as musical number window dressing, actually remaining in Hollywood/LA or even the ending (which gets a 'what if' cop out).

So what we wind up with is a finished product that tries to have its cake and eat it too and it winds up feeling less special as a result.

That said, I was pleasantly surprised by how funny it wound up being. It's assuredly a star vehicle for Emma Stone and the favourite to win Best Picture but I can't help feeling let down that I'm not more enthusiastic about it. 8/10

The Salesman - No, this isn't a film about selling things. In actuality the initial premise is quite similar to Verhoeven's Elle but it plays out completely differently.

For one thing, the star is Shahab Hosseini (fun story... I got to witness a bunch of 20-something Iranian women fangirl squeal over him when he arrived and posed for pictures).

The film cleverly employs its ties to Miller's Death of a Salesman and Saedi's Cow to serve as parallels for Emad's obsession with finding his wife's attacker and the tension bubbles capably due in large part to the tight script and some quality acting. 8/10

Raw - France's answer to Ginger Snaps - except it revolves around cannibals instead of werewolves. It's finger lickin' good. 7/10

Mifune

Mehmber
I gotta get out and see Kubo.

High-Rise - Last time I listen to Film Twitter. Everything about this movie was great except for the actual movie. Score, cinematography, costumes, all wonderful. Narratively incomprehensible and borderline incompetent. Everyone praised its gonzo energy and style - not so hard to pull off when everyone is acting fucking insane and coked-to-the-gills from frame one.

UrbanRats

Giornata nera per L'Ariete (Fifth Cord in the US, i think) - It's a pretty simple plot, made confusing by puzzling editing and plotting choices, with barely any interesting character, and zero cool murders (for a Giallo), interesting visuals are also few and far between, and same goes for the music.
The build up with the creepy voice recording the murders also goes nowhere, blah.
Franco Nero is oh so handsome tho, at least you got that, oh and Silvia Monti has some pair of eyes on her, also nice.

KAKYBAC

Nice to see The Men Who Tread on The Tigers Tail get some forum recognition. I currently have it in my personal Top100. Denjiro Okochi is excellent, so much so that I tried to follow more of his career but it turns out he never really ascended!

Also the philosophy of JJ Abrams? So will that be a book on the ruinous effects of shaky cam on the modern blockbuster... Or the pretensions of someone who believes he is creating worth in his medium...

Finally, nice to see Criterion coming to the UK. The new Akira Kurosawa's Dreams looks sublime. However, does anyone else dislike the idea of odd blu Rays worming into a +/- 500 strong DVD collection?
841_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

UrbanRats

Also the philosophy of JJ Abrams? So will that be a book on the ruinous effects of shaky cam on the modern blockbuster... Or the pretensions of someone who believes he is creating worth in his medium...
That's harsh.
You can do art/film without the pretension of changing the world, as nothing more than wanting to express yourself (or plain old have fun).
I'd say that's still worthwhile for the public as well as for the medium.

Ridley327

That's harsh.
You can do art/film without the pretension of changing the world, as nothing more than wanting to express yourself (or plain old have fun).
I'd say that's still worthwhile for the public as well as for the medium.

I don't think anyone has a problem with Abrams making movies. He's simply not doing anything for the medium that suggests a personal philosophy that's worth exploring. It'd be like trying to plumb the depths of Eli Roth.

UrbanRats

I don't think anyone has a problem with Abrams making movies. He's simply not doing anything for the medium that suggests a personal philosophy that's worth exploring. It'd be like trying to plumb the depths of Eli Roth.

I don't disagree with that sentiment, i just found that particular phrasing harsh on the guy.
Maybe he is very self important though, i'm not familiar with him outside of his movies.

Since it was brought up a few days ago, I finally watched Embrace of the Serpent last night. It's great. If I saw this last year it definitely would've been in my top 5. The somber and blunt realities of early 19th century colonialism vs. an otherworldly journey through the Amazon. Gorgeous black and white cinematography. Top notch sound work that envelopes you in a dense jungle hiss, alongside a minimal score that fades in every so often lending more atmosphere to the already dreamlike spirituality of narrative. This is a great old school slow burn adventure, peppered with all the pit stop character interactions the genre's good for, with a kind of soulful elegance to the way it all plays out. Even throws in some Apocalypse Now / Aguirre / Fitzcarraldo vibes. Loved the ending as well.

A+, would journey again.

ActWan

The Neon Demon
NWR is my favorite director at the moment. With "Only God Forgives" he went to a more experimental and arthousie direction that reminded me of Fear X...and I was hyped when The Neon Demon was announced. Unfortunately, it didn't came to theaters in my country, so I had to wait until now to watch it...and ohhhh boy.
This film is amazing. It has got to be one of the best shot films I have ever seen...everything about it is just so good. He is definitely the best "visual storytelling" director out there.
The acting, concepts and messages, characters, are just so good.
I still think he is one of the best directors of all time, alongside Lynch and Kubrick.

TheFlow

Banned
The Neon Demon
NWR is my favorite director at the moment. With "Only God Forgives" he went to a more experimental and arthousie direction that reminded me of Fear X...and I was hyped when The Neon Demon was announced. Unfortunately, it didn't came to theaters in my country, so I had to wait until now to watch it...and ohhhh boy.
This film is amazing. It has got to be one of the best shot films I have ever seen...everything about it is just so good. He is definitely the best "visual storytelling" director out there.
The acting, concepts and messages, characters, are just so good.
I still think he is one of the best directors of all time, alongside Lynch and Kubrick.

u wot m8. The man put out 3 good movies at best, and only God forgive was so bad that I had to use one of these

2174801_orig.png

he should not be on a all time list, not even for modern directors.

Ridley327

I don't disagree with that sentiment, i just found that particular phrasing harsh on the guy.
Maybe he is very self important though, i'm not familiar with him outside of his movies.

I don't think he's much of anything. Super 8 is quite possibly the best example of someone nailing the look and feel of a particular style of filmmaking (this case, the 80s Amblin family-friendly but surprisingly dark sci-fi action-adventure thriller), but it's all surface, which becomes overtly blatant by the time the big "we understand you, visitor from space dude" scene rolls up and it barrels along the beats while paying no attention to the fatal flaws that make it impossible to empathize. The only thing that Abrams and the rest of his Bad Robot cohorts bring into it is their insistence on mystery box storytelling, and time and time again, they forget to put anything interesting inside that box.

UrbanRats

I don't think he's much of anything. Super 8 is quite possibly the best example of someone nailing the look and feel of a particular style of filmmaking (this case, the 80s Amblin family-friendly but surprisingly dark sci-fi action-adventure thriller), but it's all surface, which becomes overtly blatant by the time the big "we understand you, visitor from space dude" scene rolls up and it barrels along the beats while paying no attention to the fatal flaws that make it impossible to empathize. The only thing that Abrams and the rest of his Bad Robot cohorts bring into it is their insistence on mystery box storytelling, and time and time again, they forget to put anything interesting inside that box.
Yeah, his style is not very memorable (aside maybe from the lens flare meme) but that's alright, as long as he himself doesn't think he's doing more than aping better directors and artists, as that's what the majority in the art field end up doing anyway.
Not surprising that he seems to be working on either established franchises or nostalgia throwbacks (or both).
As an hired gun supposed to be invisible though, you could probably do worse.

I mean i doubt people at Disney really wanted someone with a strong vision, when they hired him for VII.

So last night I decided to rewatch HP and The Prisoner of Azkaban & HP and The Goblet of Fire. Azkaban is my favorite in the entire series, but am I tripping for thinking Goblet of Fire is a close second? The movie is more entertaining than I remember despite being the second longest one. It manages to be colorful and dark at the same time, the characters are lovable and funny, with an actual cool new "professor".

The first two feel a bit flat and somewhat outdated, but their successors are the highlight of Harry Potter franchise...too bad they were followed by the boring forgettable Order of Pheonix.

TheFlow

Banned
So last night I decided to rewatch HP and The Prisoner of Azkaban & HP and The Goblet of Fire. Azkaban is my favorite in the entire series, but am I tripping for thinking Goblet of Fire is a close second? The movie is more entertaining than I remember despite being the second longest one. It manages to be colorful and dark at the same time, the characters are lovable and funny, with an actual cool new "professor".

The first two feel a bit flat and somewhat outdated, but their successors are the highlight of Harry Potter franchise...too bad they were followed by the boring forgettable Order of Pheonix.

I think Order of the phoenix is the best of the movies but that is probably because it is also my favorite of the harry potter books next to goblet of fire.

goblet of fire is definitely enjoyable but it is one of those things where if you read the book before the movie you won't enjoy it as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom