• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| September 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched 30 movies in August

TOP 5 NEW VIEWINGS OF AUGUST
5. Weiner
4. Love & Friendship
3. Ah-ga-ssi AKA The Handmaiden
2. Higanbana AKA Equinox Flower
1. El abrazo de la serpiente AKA The Embrace of the Serpent

Weiner was both hilarious and sad. Poor Huma. Love & Friendship had me with a goofy smile on my face the entire time, loved Beckinsale's character and the writing. Equinox Flower my least favorite Ozu so far, but still great.

Embrace of the Serpent probably tops Carol as my favorite movie of 2015.

Yes! Embrace of the Serpent should be seen by more. I'm glad we've been graced with a new Whit Stillman and Todd Solondz film this year. There haven't been any traditional comedies I've loved this year.

Toothless

Pull a Toothless, just dump it all in one gigantic post

*two gigantic posts

Top 5 of August:

1. Sausage Party
2. Pete's Dragon
3. Hell or High Water
4. Cafe Society
5. Bridget Jones's Diary

I also decided to repurchase MoviePass, which I will commemorate this weekend with seeing four films: Equity, Sea of Trees, Southside with You, and something else (not Light Between Oceans because I have a friend who already wants to see that next week)

My "planned" must-watch hitlist for TIFF this month...

- After the Storm (Hirokazu Koreeda)
- American Honey (Andrea Arnold)
- Aquarius (Kleber Mendonça Filho)
- Arrival (Denis Villeneuve)
- The Birth of a Nation (Nate Parker)
- Blair Witch (Adam Wingard)
- Certain Women (Kelly Reichardt)
- Christine (Antonio Campos)
- Elle (Paul Verhoeven)
- Graduation (Cristian Mungiu)
- The Handmaiden (Chan-wook Park)
- The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Mäki (Juho Kuosmanen)
- I, Daniel Blake (Ken Loach)
- La La Land (Damien Chazelle)
- Lion (Garth Davis)
- Loving (Jeff Nichols)
- Manchester by the Sea (Kenneth Lonergan)
- Moonlight (Barry Jenkins)
- Neruda (Pablo Larraín)
- Nocturnal Animals (Tom Ford)
- Paterson (Jim Jarmusch)
- Raw (Julia Ducournau)
- The Red Turtle (Michael Dudok de Wit)
- The Salesman (Asghar Farhadi)
- Sieranevada (Cristi Puiu)
- Things to Come (Mia Hansen-Løve)
- Toni Erdmann (Maren Ade)
Oh shit, Christine is by Antonio Campos (Simon Killer, Afterschool)?! One of my favourite new directors. So jealous you get to see all those other movies. Still waiting for Hunt for the Wilderpeople to come out here (16th Sept).

Divius

Yes! Embrace of the Serpent should be seen by more. I'm glad we've been graced with a new Whit Stillman and Todd Solondz film this year. There haven't been any traditional comedies I've loved this year.
Yeah, I'll be watching Weiner Dog soon. Heard good things.

such a small list.... :\ ( /s )

I can't imagine watching that many movies professionally.

But what I really wanted to add is that I got around to watching The Nice Guys (2016) and this movie is faaaaaantastic. Nothing works as it's "supposed to" and it's glorious. Wonderful characters, sensible action direction, well written and actually funny. It's the delightful little movie that could.

September opens with Contact love <3. Best start in months.

But what I really wanted to add is that I got around to watching The Nice Guys (2016) and this movie is faaaaaantastic. Nothing works as it's "supposed to" and it's glorious. Wonderful characters, sensible action direction, well written and actually funny. It's the delightful little movie that could.

Still my favorite move of the year. Enjoyed myself immensely watching this. The slapstick moments and physical comedy in general are amazing.

UberTag

Still my favorite movie of the year. Enjoyed myself immensely watching this. The slapstick moments and physical comedy in general are amazing.
The character interactions are solid gold and that entire scene at the nightclub party is one of my fave segments of any movie in a number of years. I just wish the plot had a little more substance to it beyond collusion between nebulous Motown auto manufacturers and the U.S. government to suppress the catalytic converter. That part just came off as silly.

Then again, almost all of Shane Black's plots come off as silly. So it's not like I had expectations that were dashed here.

This movie gave off heavy Matchstick Men vibes. If you enjoyed The Nice Guys, you might want to scope out Matchstick Men.

omgkitty

Someone who's watched Wendy and Lucy, please tell me why I should care. Just watched it and I must be a heartless bastard, because I felt nothing but contempt. Sometimes life just gets you down, but when a lot of it is your own fault, I have a hard time feeling sorry. Now if she had a cat instead of a dog....

Her other films are on Mubi right now and I'm not sure if I should watch any of the others. Old Joy and River of Grass seem like they might be worse than Wendy and Lucy and I already own the blu-ray for Meek's Cutoff so I guess I'll have to watch that eventually.

Someone who's watched Wendy and Lucy, please tell me why I should care. Just watched it and I must be a heartless bastard, because I felt nothing but contempt. Sometimes life just gets you down, but when a lot of it is your own fault, I have a hard time feeling sorry. Now if she had a cat instead of a dog....

Her other films are on Mubi right now and I'm not sure if I should watch any of the others. Old Joy and River of Grass seem like they might be worse than Wendy and Lucy and I already own the blu-ray for Meek's Cutoff so I guess I'll have to watch that eventually.

I liked it. I know like 9 people exactly like Wendy.

You didn't feel anything with Michelle Williams (bae btw) humming and shit? You need to find Jesus.

You might dig Meek's Cutoff. Maybe.

lordxar

13 Assassins. After watching Masters of Horror Imprint from Takashi Miike last night I saw he directed this which has been in my Netflix queue for months. I figured it would be way over the top gory but it wasn't anything like Imprint. Sure the villain was awful but the violence got cut away. The cgi bits weren't great. Flaming cgi Bulls? But overall this was pretty cool. Definitely not a Seven Samurai. It had that basic story but felt like a poor copy.

Watched 9 movies this month (or 8 + Cigarette Burns). Not as bad as I feared, but still pretty bad. Ugh. Work has sapped movie watching energy from me something fierce.

Top 5 new watches:
1. The New World
2. Hell or High Water
3. Lady Snowblood
4. Cigarette Burns
5. The Invitation

Best rewatch:
Prince of Darkness

Worst movie:
Jason Bourne

Watched 9 movies this month (or 8 + Cigarette Burns). Not as bad as I feared, but still pretty bad. Ugh. Work has sapped movie watching energy from me something fierce.

Top 5 new watches:
1. The New World
2. Hell or High Water
3. Lady Snowblood
4. Cigarette Burns
5. The Invitation

Best rewatch:
Prince of Darkness

Worst movie:
Jason Bourne

What did you think of.....la fin absolue du monde

talk to her (almodovar)

uh this movie took a really fucked up turn in the second half that I found problematic which is a shame cuz I really liked large parts of it

big ander

The Crow - Looks like a goth-grunge Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. Basic revenge story and middling action. Kid actor's really bad, she doesn't act she just reads lines. The adults give it a go and can't quite make it work.

I guess you could say it's her fault in that that specific situation is kicked off by her trying to shoplift, but I recall the movie doing a pretty capable job of stressing how the impoverished sometimes have no other options, i.e. it costs money to get out of poverty because it's a rigged game.

Not about to make a big case for it though as Wendy and Lucy is my least favorite film of hers I've seen. Old Joy and River of Grass are both better and River of Grass is fairly different from her later work

Blue Ruin 7/10

Damn good thriller. The ending was alright but the
final confrontation had me on the edge of my seat.

Sausage Party 6/10

Not a great film, but it had some clever scenes.

Blader

Weird double feature last night.

Sword of the Beast
Hideo Gosha is one of those bigger samurai directors that I've been sleeping on. Unfortunately this wasn't that good, but it's promising. Camerawork and sword fights looked really great, there was just a lot of plot and many characters stuffed into a pretty short running time; the script feels rushed and really crammed together, so nothing really develops the way it should. Still, it all looked really nice.
3/5

The Blob
Hard to believe this launched Steve McQueen's career since he's mostly pretty bad in it (he does have one good scene though, where he's pleading with the police for the last time to believe him). I was expecting something really dopey, which I got, but did not expect a certain tongue-in-cheekness to the whole thing, which is apparent right from the start with that ridiculous theme song. I feel like the movie never really committed to it one tone or the other -- playing it straight or playing it up -- so the whole thing feels a bit wobbly in that regard. All of the actors are pretty bad, but I guess that comes with the territory. There's some really nice colors though and the Blob effects are pretty impressive for their time. The ending has been incredibly recontextualized in 2016, I was almost a little stunned at how prescient it sounded. A sequel where
melting polar ice caps free the blob 60 years later, punishing man for climate change
sounds like just kind of the movie Max Landis should be pitching.
3/5

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban remains the best Harry Potter film and just a very food film on its own. The level of filmmaking really just towers above the rest. It has the perfect balance of a dark story accompanied by darker visuals and that magical charm. I noticed that there were plenty of takes that lasted longer than your usual, which I really appreciated as it lets the actors really dive into character because there aren't any constant breaks in the performance.

The acting of the main trio has improved quite a bit which really helped sell the drama. Gary Oldman and David Thewlis are pitch perfect as Sirius Black and Remus Lupin, and deliver the best performances in the film. Michael Gambon delivered his best rendition of Dumbledore here (because Alfonso Cuaron understands what makes the character great) and I'd go as far to say it's the best take on Dumbledore in the series.

I also liked Cuaron adding the clock tower to symbolise the usage of time in this film. A detail that has gone over the heads of most I've discussed this with.

This is definitely the most raw of the Potter series. All the characters felt incredibly human, more than they do in any of the other films.

Edit: Oh yeah, this film also has the best score in the series. Williams was on fire.

Toothless

The Neon Demon is absolutely gorgeous. No one can deny that. Natasha Brier's cinematography constantly shines throughout it, creating a beautiful portrait of L.A. and the fashion industry. Unfortunately, that is the only beauty to find in this film as it consistently attempts to alienate the audience in the worst way imaginable. Sometimes, it's amusingly so, but more often than not, it's quite annoying. The themes seem rather service level and at points, try-hard because Refn tries to remove the sub from subtext in nearly every sequence. The score is appropriately eerie, and Jena Malone shines in the only memorable role in the entire film (not counting Keanu Reeves, who is memorable simply because he's Keanu Reeves). The Neon Demon is an interesting exercise in art, but almost entirely fails as a piece of good cinema, equating shock value with actual value far too much for its own good.

A Most Violent Year: I didn't know a lot about this movie going in, when I borrowed it from the library. It was pretty solid, though.

J-Roderton

I'm killing some time here tonight. You guys know any good Youtube channels about movies? Preferably classic stuff.

Been watching Stranger Things and I have 2 episodes left. It's pretty fun on the whole, but I absolutely agree that it's too derivative of the stuff it's ripping off paying homage to, and there are a lot of weak links in both the writing and acting. Like a lot of plot lines spend way too much time devoted to shitty teen melodrama, manic Winona Ryder spinning her wheels while no one believes her while we wait for them to inevitably all believe her, horrible cliche school bullies, and people generally getting way too mad at each other too quickly in artificial ways. But it is undeniably stylish and certainly evokes the feel of the works its aping, and when the adventure is on and the characters are doing things instead of sitting around arguing it can be a lot of fun, particularly when the sheriff is doing sheriffy things and the kids are not being mad at each other. I imagine the last two episodes won't really change my mind one way or another, but we'll see.

S'ok/10

Came away a lot more impressed with the get down tbh. Its cheesy and often cartoony melodramatic but there's a style to it that is mostly missing from tv in general. Awesome amalgam of kung fu, blaxploiitation and hip hop/disco. Soundtrack is fantastic and using Nas to narrate the series through rap as a framing device is such a great idea

I think some music biopics should take note from this. Treat the birth of genres as something fantastical/mythical. Like aren't people bored to death of the conventional music biopics by now

kevin1025

Banned
Saw Hell or High Water today. Fantastic film, it certainly deserves all the high praise it's been getting. Chris Pine and Ben Foster do a great job as brothers who aren't just robbing banks for the hell of it, but have an actual reason; as do Jeff Bridges and Gil Birmingham as odd couple Texas rangers. For me, though, the real standout was the writing, expertly written and very well paced. I certainly recommend it, especially after the dour summer season we just had in the theatre, and for fans of crime/heist films.

Came away a lot more impressed with the get down tbh. Its cheesy and often cartoony melodramatic but there's a style to it that is mostly missing from tv in general. Awesome amalgam of kung fu, blaxploiitation and hip hop/disco. Soundtrack is fantastic and using Nas to narrate the series through rap as a framing device is such a great idea

I think some music biopics should take note from this. Treat the birth of genres as something fantastical/mythical. Like aren't people bored to death of the conventional music biopics by now

how baz luhrmann is it tho? I really can't stand that dude's stuff.

how baz luhrmann is it tho? I really can't stand that dude's stuff.

Certain stylistic decisions in the pilot. It chills out after that tho.

Personally I loved what he was doing this time. And it helps that the 70s Warriors-like setting and the music choices are far different from his usual stuff. So if you're a hip hop or disco fan you'll find it a lot more forgiving/engaging

I kinda hated the guy too until I saw this actually haha.

Nice, I'll give it a shot. Gotta catch up on Night Of first and then do Narcos season 2 first... Damn these TV shows sucking up movie watching time.

Saw Hell or High Water today. Fantastic film, it certainly deserves all the high praise it's been getting. Chris Pine and Ben Foster do a great job as brothers who aren't just robbing banks for the hell of it, but have an actual reason; as do Jeff Bridges and Gil Birmingham as odd couple Texas rangers. For me, though, the real standout was the writing, expertly written and very well paced. I certainly recommend it, especially after the dour summer season we just had in the theatre, and for fans of crime/heist films.

I thought it was just okay ultimately

I was entertained but it feels a bit lightweight to me

it's no no country for old men

kevin1025

Banned
I thought it was just okay ultimately

I was entertained but it feels a bit lightweight to me

it's no no country for old men

I can definitely see how you could see it that way. It's one of those movies that can feel a little more understated or lightweight as you said, depending on the person watching. It's a character movie, lots of bickering and differences of opinion, that for me worked incredibly well!

UberTag

Most of the early Venice / Telluride festival reactions have gone pretty much as expected. Seems like a lot of these films (the ones that were good anyhow) did a solid job of getting out what they were bringing to the table beforehand. Most of the big Telluride world premieres were tonight.

I'm expecting some lengthy rush lines and very little in the way of sleep for my TIFF odyssey next week.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I dislike it, but don't know if I'd call it bad. Probably mediocre.

The editing is really off, like jumping from event to event with no sense of cohesion off. The actors are hamming it up and nearly everyone is shouting. Why are they all shouting? I dunno, but I think it's something Mike Newell insisted on. Seems like the kind of fellow who's very boisterous and feels that those wise powerful characters should be the same (though I could be wrong). Maybe it's just for Drama™. Anyway, you don't have to be a fan of the books to know that the characters are inconsistent when looking at the of the previous films. Dumbledore got recast but his character remained consistent from the first two. Here, he's unrecognisable. Also Emma Watson just stopped trying from this film onward. She was on autopilot.

Regarding the pacing, I have to say that the third act is rushed as hell. We just dive in head first from a completely unrelated scene and then it just keeps going without slowing down. Ralph Fiennes is literally speed reading his lines at some point in the graveyard scene and it just makes me think Newell was pulling a Lucas and going "Faster, more intense, lads".

Visuals were alright. Hungarian Horntail CGI holds up quite well. Prisoner of Azkaban was the nicer looking film. The score was good too but nowhere near Williams' level obviously. Wish Patrick Doyle would've stayed on for Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince.

Seriously, the hammy acting really was something else in this film.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix marks the beginning of Yates' reign and, boy, it's pretty pedestrian (his direction, that is). I feel like the only thing that he brings to these films are the incredibly dull visuals, accompanied by his trademark blue tinted colour grading. I get that the story gets rather bleak but not like this, for crying out loud.

Anyway, this is the shortest film of the series (for the longest book!) and it feels like it. Maybe it's just because I've read the book a few times, but the films leaves me wanting to see more. More characters, more interaction, more magic etc. I feel that the executive meddling (which cut down the runtime, if I'm correct) messed things up a little bit. The editing was OK, but again I feel like it tried to shove in too many key plot points whilst trying to fit into the shorter runtime. I suppose Yates didn't want all that footage to go to waste and decided to fit some in no matter how short or relevant.

The film's OK. I can rewatch it. It's not forgettable but it's not remarkable either. At least it had its characters done well, which I can't say for the previous film.

TissueBox

Wow, just finished BvS: Dawn of Justice and must say, though the first two-thirds felt like inconsistent deconstruction satire as commissioned by a disgruntled Cardinal bishop post-lapdance, the last third swung upward with one crucially placed, borderline comical turning point that actually, in the context of the film's already jarring tone, I think, invited ironic, hallowed poignancy. This point, speaking of, being the
'Martha' moment
, the pivotal 'combo breaker' that realigned the switches in a certain noggin before that noggin made another noggin go splat, and with nothing to wipe off the residue because Wal-Mart was closed.

I don't know. It was a bit of a nosedived incline until that scene. But from that point onward, the movie seemed to loosen up, retaining an edge and a philosophical bent, but giving us the action and characterization we paid for. That [previously mentioned] minute in particular played a vital role in releasing the tension, bleak and all, that had been plaguing the film so unrelentingly, and humanized the moodiness by summoning a guilt so ridiculous it could've been Freudian; and yet as the credits faded in -- tch -- I couldn't help but think that the ride invoked more emotion than I'd expected it to. The fifth-best live action DC non-Vertigo movie to have come out in the past decade (+ a year). Though, technically, it is 68% rough-draft.

(Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice)

Rhoc

1. What's your favorite Movie?
Se7en
2. Who's your favorite director?
David Fincher
3. Who are your favorite actors/actresses?
Leonardo DiCaprio
4. Favorite Genre(s)?
Thriller
5. What's your favorite performance in film?
Robert De Niro in Taxi Driver

Top 5 August
1. Sicario
2. The Hateful 8
3. Butterfly Effect
4. Beasts of no Nation
5. Terminator Genisys

The quote from Ehrlich describing it as "Carol by way of Frank Ocean" sold me immediately. Now after watching the trailer I am really excited to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom