• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| September 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

karasu

I've been on a silent movie kick lately.

Intolerance: D.W. Griffiths may have directed some racist shit but man can he fill a frame.

A Woman of Paris: One of Charlie Chaplin's lesser efforts but it does have some nice imagery.

I really really wanted Sausage Party to be funny. It looked like a dumb funny concept and I'd seen a couple of great reviews as well, and that trailer kinda made me giggle.

Unfortunately, Sausage Party turned out to be just horrible, crude stupid obvious jokes that weren't funny, being lectured about Atheism and how stupid religion is by Rogen and his crew. Yuck.

Seriously, we're supposed to be like 'HEY SAUSAGE AND BUNS ARE LIKE SEX HA HA HA' Since that and the other food puns in the movie are the most obvious stupid unfunny puns in the world. Ugh. And that's before we get into the religion assassination part.

Religious satire and assassination can be done right and be absolutely hilarious, I hasten to add, when done right, but this ain't it. This movie is just awful, horrible, cynical, unfunny from start to finish.

ActWan

Sausage Party - pretty funny actually. The whole ending sequence REALLY reminded me of Salo or 120 Days of Sodom, so I couldn't laugh the slightest there. :p

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
So over the course of August I watched:

A Letter To Momo - Relly enjoyable and worth checking out.
The Night Manager - fantastic mini-series from the BBC
Lifeboat - Early Hitchcock film with one of his most creative cameos
Silent Running - Really liked it, it's hippies in space.
Paprika - an amazing film, such a master class in creative editing
A Royal Affair - way better than I thought it would be.
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - Really funny and just a crazy story too
Good Vibrations - fantastic film.
Short Term 12 - such an under-watched gem, fantastic performances.
A Thousand Times Good Night - It drags a little, but the story itself is interesting.
Stranger Things - A bit over hyped/over rated, but still enjoyed it.
High-Rise - extremely surreal, but worth checking out
Weiner - excellent documentary (the sequel is currently in process)
Next Goal Wins - extremely uplifting documentary
Finding Dory - enjoyable and has some very sweet moments.
Suicide Squad - has its issues, but no way near as bad as critics made it out to be.
Eddie The Eagle - One of my favourite films of the year so far, near perfect.
Sing Street - wonderful film, some great songs and fantastic performances
The Big Short - such a fantastically written film. Steve Carrell is simply amazing.
Peter's Friends - A fun early 90's comedy.
Mike & Dave Need Wedding Dates - It passed the 6 laugh test...barely.
Nerve - was great until the third act, then it really went o_O
David Brent: Life On The Road - this is meh at best.
Bobby Sands: 66 Days - interesting, if slightly one-sided documentary
Bad Moms - Better than I thought it would be, but my expectations were super low for this.

Given the ubiquity of Anita Ekberg and the fountain scene as the major cultural touchstones for La Dolce Vita, I didnt really expect it to be such a dark film (also wow at Anita Ekberg and the fountain scene). Amidst all the decadence and debaucherous nights there's a real sense of isolation and detachment the pervades the characters. They all either have, or have a need to seek, love and family, yet repeatedly push what they have away in favor of ephemeral beauty and the haze of a lifestyle that wears off at each abrupt break of dawn in the episodic sequence of nights that make up the film's loose structure. Even as Marcello becomes increasingly despicable, it's impossible not to feel sorry for him, as every chance he has to make a connection is taken away from him to the point where he just engages in self sabotage at any possible chance of redemption or respite. The movie gets a lot of mileage out of its location too, as the twisty streets of Rome's bustling metropolis reveal works of dilapidated beauty and history in garish cohabitation with the party goers and spectacle chasers. Marcello and the company he keeps professes to aspire to great art, and seek beauty, but they hardly recognize or appreciate that both are all around them. And when they do --like in the fountain sequence or a later scene involving a drunken ghost hunt in a medieval villa-- it feels more like a shameful act of desicration and privaledged opulance rather than a true recognition and appreciation of what's around them, especially when those first rays of dawn's new light reveal them to the eyes of the outside world from whom they turn to the night to hide from. It's ironic then that Marcello and his insectoid army of paparazzi (I just learned that this film inspired that term with the character Paparazzo) make a living off of invading other's private lives and constantly staring, when he himself can't bear it at all.

Window

I've only seen it once and about 7-8 years ago so I don't know what I will think of it now but La Dolce Vita remains one of my favourite films of all time. I remember the film feeling like a regretful concession to hedonism, which can only yield fleeting happiness.

I just watched The Conjuring 2. It was okay but predictable stuff. I wasn't a fan that they shoehorned all the extra plotlines into the original 'true' story either. To me a straight up Enfield Poltergeist movie would have been better. Like if they made it more of a realistic documentary of the investigation.

obin_gam

The Neon Demon
Holy fuck.

I feel utterly speechless, so I'm trying to condense my thoughts into bullet points:

Like a love child of Suspiria and Zardoz (for some reason THAT movie came to mind... I think it was the triangles lol)

The acting could have been more fluent but considering the story it fit any way.

The story felt a bit disjointed in some part. Would have like to get what that
"runaway child in 214" was all about,
and the
mountain lion bit went unexplained. Was Jena Malone the mountain lion?

I think I understood it, but I might have missed some things.
Malones "blood birth" was because of the bath earlier yes? To get rid of the blood that she drank?

This post also feels disjointed. So it fits with the theme I guess :p

Nice Guys - Shane Black

This was enjoyable and probably the best thing Shane Black has been involved since the late year of 1995. Much of it thrill resides in it's duo, Crowe actually looks like a guy who can pack a punch and Gosling is just fucking natural. No matter how silly it's the situation, he never sells it as too goofy. Funnily enough, the rest of the casting is kind of terrible (the goons, kim basinger, cavill look a like, and the amelia actress...yikes).

When the narrative is almost random and just a series of vignettes, it's pretty damn enjoyable but as it gets tightened while it goes forward it looses a bit of it's charm, especially with a plot that seems to fill as a balloon. Movie deserved something a bit more subdued.

It could have been really great in the hands of a good filmmaker.

Dereck

intervention.jpg

Unremarkable but cozy, cute and quaint. The movie is funny and semi-understandable. Perfect for a 7:00 PM watch when there isn't anything else to do.

3/5

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
Recently watched Don't Breathe. Can't really say I'm a fan. The film felt like a boilerplate b-tier horror/thriller with a beautiful coat of paint. I think I would have appreciated the film more if it played the concept completely straight instead of introducing... certain elements. I sensed a lot of effort was put into the film but it doesn't congeal into something unique or interesting for me. It just felt like a hodgepodge of superior genre movies.

Maybe the hype got to me.

Watch It Follows, Green Room, and the last ten minutes of Silence of the Lambs instead to get a similar/better experience.

I'm really hoping Blair Witch is good. I'm pumped for Halloween this year.

Nice Guys - Shane Black

This was enjoyable and probably the best thing Shane Black has been involved since the late year of 1995. Much of it thrill resides in it's duo, Crowe actually looks like a guy who can pack a punch and Gosling is just fucking natural. No matter how silly it's the situation, he never sells it as too goofy. Funnily enough, the rest of the casting is kind of terrible (the goons, kim basinger, cavill look a like, and the amelia actress...yikes).

When the narrative is almost random and just a series of vignettes, it's pretty damn enjoyable but as it gets tightened while it goes forward it looses a bit of it's charm, especially with a plot that seems to fill as a balloon. Movie deserved something a bit more subdued.

It could have been really great in the hands of a good filmmaker.

Between this and Tissuebox using post-modern essay generators to write reviews, I don't know sarcasm from genuine anymore.

On the matter of Don't Breathe (which I haven't seen yet) being a imitation of superior genre movies: sometimes that's the best thing to do. It's the same mistake people make with hyping up Stranger Things, all that shows wants to do, is be a decent imitation of superior works. It's not trying to be the greatest thing of all time, and that's where its charm comes from. I obviously don't know if the movie is like that, but that's how I feel about the 'A / B listers' in general, where some people will hype it up when in reality it's simply a pleasant entry in its genre. There's no crime in mediocrity, in my opinion. There's a crime in not knowing it and being boring as shit, see THOR 2.
(which is written by the same guy who wrote S5 of the 2003 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles show, which I'll have more to say on, because oh boy does that guy illustrate every single problem a fantasy writer could have)

THE SIGNAL IS LIT!

Eyes Wide Shut: I've seen this movie a few times over the years, and I used to think of it as just an art-y thriller, but now I'm starting to wonder if it was Stanley Kubrick's version of Spotlight, and he was responding to actual things that he witnessed among the Hollywood elite.

Unrelated: when I was watching the Nice Guys I couldn't tell if Russell Crowe was supposed to be fat or not. At first I thought it was just his character because of the gag where he buys all of the YooHoo's.

But then the longer the film went on I wasn't sure because it felt like they were always using wardrobe, posture, and camera angles to minimize his gut. It was like the opposite of Christian Bale's big belly always being front and center in American Hustle.

daydream

Banned
Given the ubiquity of Anita Ekberg and the fountain scene as the major cultural touchstones for La Dolce Vita, I didnt really expect it to be such a dark film (also wow at Anita Ekberg and the fountain scene). Amidst all the decadence and debaucherous nights there's a real sense of isolation and detachment the pervades the characters. They all either have, or have a need to seek, love and family, yet repeatedly push what they have away in favor of ephemeral beauty and the haze of a lifestyle that wears off at each abrupt break of dawn in the episodic sequence of nights that make up the film's loose structure. Even as Marcello becomes increasingly despicable, it's impossible not to feel sorry for him, as every chance he has to make a connection is taken away from him to the point where he just engages in self sabotage at any possible chance of redemption or respite. The movie gets a lot of mileage out of its location too, as the twisty streets of Rome's bustling metropolis reveal works of dilapidated beauty and history in garish cohabitation with the party goers and spectacle chasers. Marcello and the company he keeps professes to aspire to great art, and seek beauty, but they hardly recognize or appreciate that both are all around them. And when they do --like in the fountain sequence or a later scene involving a drunken ghost hunt in a medieval villa-- it feels more like a shameful act of desicration and privaledged opulance rather than a true recognition and appreciation of what's around them, especially when those first rays of dawn's new light reveal them to the eyes of the outside world from whom they turn to the night to hide from. It's ironic then that Marcello and his insectoid army of paparazzi (I just learned that this film inspired that term with the character Paparazzo) make a living off of invading other's private lives and constantly staring, when he himself can't bear it at all.

i feel like the scene with anouk aimée talking to mastroianni through an echo chamber while making out with another man pretty much emblematically encompasses the entire film, what you mention on the side and how it is mirrored on the side of human relations, most notably love/romance

Those youtube links are a nightmare to my phone browsing of this thread...

Thinking about watching a bunch of anime films. I've seen a bunch of older stuff previous to like the 00s. Anyone have some recommendations?

I watched the umbrellas of cherbourg since y'all were hyping up demy in the la la land thread and he's been a blind spot for me.. I dunno dudes.. it was gorgeous looking (those colors) but it's a musical without any actual songs.. they're just singing dialogue.. I found it a bit tedious and the fact that it's a foreign language made it feel even more distant for me.. maybe I'll have more luck with la la land

*silently judged*

Thinking about watching a bunch of anime films. I've seen a bunch of older stuff previous to like the 00s. Anyone have some recommendations?

Paprika (2006), of course.
And Akira, should you have somehow missed it, but that's pre 00s anyway. Just like Jin Roh, Ghost in the Shell, and some others.

The Girl Who Lept Through Time might also be entertaining, but I haven't seen it. Not much of an anime connoisseur myself.

I watched the umbrellas of cherbourg since y'all were hyping up demy in the la la land thread and he's been a blind spot for me.. I dunno dudes.. it was gorgeous looking (those colors) but it's a musical without any actual songs.. they're just singing dialogue.. I found it a bit tedious and the fact that it's a foreign language made it feel even more distant for me.. maybe I'll have more luck with la la land

*silently judged*

1v1 me homie

Whats wrong with my post? It was complimentary to the movie.

You want post 00's recommendations? Or before? What have you seen?

lordxar

Sorry bout the Youtubes...I turned all that stuff off long ago. My phone would just chug.

Triple 9. I liked this but I'm don't think the film knew what it wanted to be exactly. You have cops committing robberies. Who then investigate stuff. Other cops are looking for the robbers. And there is the Russian mob. Eh this was kind of a bit much.

What I dug about it was the hold up scene at the beginning. Seeing someone piss their pants during that was a nice touch. I also loved the cops raiding the spanish guys place. They were all formed up on the shield which reminded me a lot of Rainbow Six.

The downside is that these parts could have been gelled together into a much better movie showing points of view from the robbers and the cops. As it is I think this was a bit long, so it got tedious to watch and a bit boring in the middle plus convoluted because there were far too many people to keep track of especially if you got bored and stopped paying attention.

thenexus6

Red Shadow Akakage

Started off good and was pretty funny, but lost its way and its went on. Scenes were too long and it dragged. Not bad overall but could've been better.

Mind Game (2004)
Tekkon Kinkreet (2006)
Genius Party Beyond short (2008)
Satoshi Kon's Millenium Actress (2001), Tokyo Godfathers (2003), Paprika (2006)
Makoto Shinkai's 5 Centimeters Per Second (2007), Children Who Chase Lost Voices (2011)
Wolf Children (2012)
Studio Ghibli's The Wind Rises (2013), The Tale Of Princess Kaguya (2014)

That should be enough :p

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, or David Yates Discovers Sepia (as I like to call it) is... fine. If I'm coming at it from a non-reader perspective (I feel like I have to), then I'd say it holds together well enough to tell a cohesive story but leaves some important questions unanswered. It works more as a companion piece to the book rather than a standalone film.

I really liked the acting in this, especially from Gambon and Broadbent. The humour was mostly on point, especially with Grint. Radcliffe had his time to shine as well with the Felix Felicis scene. Emma Watson didn't have much to do here, really. Tom Felton was good and got me sympathising for Malfoy. Bonnie Wright... She's like the anti-charisma; I felt as though what little colour there was in the film was drained as she graced us with her extremely dull presence, making an already boring and paper thin character worse somehow.

The cinematography was very nice (more so just the shots) but wow was this movie dark. Like, there were so many scenes where I thought to myself "I can't see shit". I get that the story and tone is supposed to be very dark, but there are other ways of achieving that than literally making everything look dour as hell. You got 3 kinds of settings for this film: Sepia, fucking dark as hell sepia, and almost black and white with a blue tint. I suppose they went with overboard colour grading to cover up all of Yates' bland directing.

I know I'm very harsh on Yates, but he feels like such a huge downgrade from Cuaron. I'm pretty sure Cuaron expressed interest in returning at some point before this film was even in production... fucking WB.

Anyway, I liked them film well enough. It's good (though I'm still annoyed at all the cut content from the book and the unnecessary addition of the burrow attack).

Edit: The ring of fire scene was hype as hell tho

Watched Room and Bridge of Spies today!

I loved Room. It completely took me for an emotionally engaging ride and left me devastated. Great film.

Bridge of Spies was a difficult film to sit through. Thought it was really dull and mediocre and I felt my eyes drift and I got so very sleepy. Just an uninteresting film and easily my second least favorite Spielberg movie.

8/10 and 5/10, respectively!

Whats wrong with my post? It was complimentary to the movie.

You want post 00's recommendations? Or before? What have you seen?
Either really.

I'm seen:
Cowboy Bebop: Knocking on Heaven's Door
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death & Rebirth
Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion
Ghost in the Shell
Akira
Appleseed
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team - Miller's Report
Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack
Mobile Suit Gundam F91
Mobile Suit Gundam I
Mobile Suit Gundam II: Soldiers of Sorrow
Mobile Suit Gundam III: Encounters in Space
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A New Translation - Heir to the Stars
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A New Translation II - Lovers
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A New Translation III - Love Is the Pulse of the Stars
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: The Fading Light of Zeon
X/1999
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Escaflowne
Blood: The Last Vampire
Spriggan
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shamballa
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos
Howl's Moving Castle
Perfect Blue
Paprika
Millennium Actress
Armitage III: Dual-Matrix
Kiki's Delivery Service
Metropolis
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Jin-Rou
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Ninja Scroll
Vampire Hunter D
Dead Leaves
Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro
Memories
Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone
Ponyo

I used to really be into anime back in the day...
Mind Game (2004)
Tekkon Kinkreet (2006)
Makoto Shinkai's 5 Centimeters Per Second (2007), Children Who Chase Lost Voices (2011)
Wolf Children (2012)

Some of this stuff should be pretty good. Thanks!

Peco

Either really.

I'm seen:
Cowboy Bebop: Knocking on Heaven's Door
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death & Rebirth
Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion
Ghost in the Shell
Akira
Appleseed
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team - Miller's Report
Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack
Mobile Suit Gundam F91
Mobile Suit Gundam I
Mobile Suit Gundam II: Soldiers of Sorrow
Mobile Suit Gundam III: Encounters in Space
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A New Translation - Heir to the Stars
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A New Translation II - Lovers
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A New Translation III - Love Is the Pulse of the Stars
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: The Fading Light of Zeon
X/1999
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Escaflowne
Blood: The Last Vampire
Spriggan
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shamballa
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos
Howl's Moving Castle
Perfect Blue
Paprika
Millennium Actress
Armitage III: Dual-Matrix
Kiki's Delivery Service
Metropolis
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Jin-Rou
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Ninja Scroll
Vampire Hunter D
Dead Leaves
Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro
Memories
Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone
Ponyo

I used to really be into anime back in the day...

Some of this stuff should be pretty good. Thanks!
I would recommend Kappa no Coo to Natsuyasumi, Colorful and Sarusuberi: Miss Hokusai.
Keiichi Hara is a favorite of mine.

Blader

Mind Game (2004)
Tekkon Kinkreet (2006)
Wolf Children (2012)

I'll add The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Sword of the Stranger, and When Marnie Was There to these.

Mind Game was too weird for me.

I rewatched 40 Days and 40 Nights when I couldn't sleep. It's a movie I enjoy, but it's nothing special as we all know. It's entertaining, though.

I'm also just about finished rewatching The Dilemma, which is alright and kind of the same. I like Vince Vaughn and Kevin James.

These are the types of movies I've been in the mood for as of late.

So over the course of August I watched:

Lifeboat - Early Hitchcock film with one of his most creative cameos

Lifeboat is one of the best. It doesn't get the credit it deserves.

Toothless

Watched Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone for the first time tonight. IDK what I thought of it, nor the person I watched it with

I really liked the two Mario Bava films I had seen before (Black Sunday and Black Sabbath) but Blood and Black Lace pushed me over the edge for Bava. The guy knows how to move a camera. It's like a sexed up version of a Hitchcock film. Beautiful women walking around beautiful sets in beautiful costumes that are lit beautifully, and a camera that glides around and frames things perfectly. It's not just the aesthetics that are great here too, as Bava litters the whole movie with absolutely brilliant sequences of suspense. There's one sequence where one of the lovely models is in a cat and mouse chase with the masked killer in an antique shop that has this amazing expressionist lighting, and it's truly one of the best I've seen in a thriller. And then to top it all off the movie has this great jazzy score that when combined with the astounding camera work adds a layer of class to what could have easily been a simple exercise in lurid thrills. This one ticked a lot of boxes for me. Technicolor murder has never looked so good.

Also, definitely a contender for best credit sequence

I really liked the two Mario Bava films I had seen before (Black Sunday and Black Sabbath) but Blood and Black Lace pushed me over the edge for Bava. The guy knows how to move a camera. It's like a sexed up version of a Hitchcock film. Beautiful women walking around beautiful sets in beautiful costumes that are lit beautifully, and a camera that glides around and frames things perfectly. It's not just the aesthetics that are great here too, as Bava litters the whole movie with absolutely brilliant sequences of suspense. There's one sequence where one of the lovely models is in a cat and mouse chase with the masked killer in an antique shop that has this amazing expressionist lighting, and it's truly one of the best I've seen in a thriller. And then to top it all off the movie has this great jazzy score that when combined with the astounding camera work adds a layer of class to what could have easily been a simple exercise in lurid thrills. This one ticked a lot of boxes for me. Technicolor murder has never looked so good.

Also, definitely a contender for best credit sequence

Do Bay of Blood next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom