• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moving back home to UK from USA. Advice about shipping (and other stuff) needed.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Hey, so it turns out after selling my car and a shit ton of other stuff I have quite a chunk more money than expected.

How should I do this with wise? I cant properly use my HSBC acct. until I get there and present myself at a branch.

Do I create a UK bank acct. with wise?then just dump all my money in it. THEN get to UK. get my new debit card MFA chip thing and then transfer from the wise UK acct. to my HSBC acct?
Yup or keep it in Wise as USD until you're ready. Sometimes you get lucky and the exchange rate gets more favorable. That's what I did like a year and a half ago when the exchange rate favored USD more heavily (I think it was like .87 USD to to 1 GBP, instead of normally about .80 USD to 1 GBP) -- and I ended up saving close to like 400GBP cuz of it (But to be fair, that was all my wife's and I's savings, so it's very much a YMMV scenario here)

nush

Gold Member
Sometimes you get lucky and the exchange rate gets more favorable.
Or let me tell you how I “lost” £2000 in an hour when I could not get to the bank quick enough due to the results of the Brexit vote. Anyway, at that point I just sat back and waited for the market to recover from the shock, so it was bad but actually not that bad. That’s the game though.

The Stig

Or let me tell you how I “lost” £2000 in an hour when I could not get to the bank quick enough due to the results of the Brexit vote. Anyway, at that point I just sat back and waited for the market to recover from the shock, so it was bad but actually not that bad. That’s the game though.
fucking BREXIT.

I watched that debacle from afar. When I saw THAT FUCKING BUS I knew it was over.

Yup or keep it in Wise as USD until you're ready. Sometimes you get lucky and the exchange rate gets more favorable. That's what I did like a year and a half ago when the exchange rate favored USD more heavily (I think it was like .87 USD to to 1 GBP, instead of normally about .80 USD to 1 GBP) -- and I ended up saving close to like 400GBP cuz of it (But to be fair, that was all my wife's and I's savings, so it's very much a YMMV scenario here)
AWESOME. Thank you so much for the advice.

The Stig

reminds me.

when I left the UK in 2006, the GBP was worth $2. it was awesome literally doubling my money lol

The Stig

So it turns out I can send my HSBC account money with wise directly since I know all the details. While i cant fully access the acct. yet (ill get a new debit card and chip thing when I arrive at the bank) I was able to call up the phone banking number and YUP the money is there!

Basically I think I'll send it all over the day before I leave. Makes the most sense to me? I say this because wise ties to your phone number and mine isnt paid off so Ill be turning it in. although I will pay attention to the exchange rate.

shipping company seems reasonable but I just found out I need to fill in a transfer of residency form to save my stuff being taxed. Im working on one of my family members signing a council tax letter.

im close to booking the flight. also i found out i can get a direct flight from san francisco (im in North CA) to heathrow! No stopping in France like usual

The Stig

Passport arriving this week. Ticket booked. Leaving on 12th July.

I've got a quote for shipping my stuff ready to go. Ive filled in a transfer of residency form so HM customs wont tax me for my stuff.

Does anyone have experience with wise? I'm going to have (maybe) about $15k to transfer. (Ill leave like 1k in my US account). Is it really as simple as transferring all that at once? My test transfer a week or so ago was perfect but it was just $20.

Also I was thinking of finally buying myself a laptop (ive always only ever got them from employers). This will entertain me during the gap of my PC being shipped and me getting to the UK. Also something to entertain me on the 10 HOUR FLIGHT.

Can anyone recommend a laptop I could buy? Not into touch screen, would rather prioritize performance. Not I'd rather not spend more than $1000

Banjo64

cumsessed
If I were you I wouldn’t move back in with my mum and dad, I’d buy a small sail boat for a couple of £k and would live in between the harbours that tolerate live-aboards. Work remotely, power your electricity needs via solar panels, unlimited data sim - watch your savings rocket.

Top Bottom