• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS Earnings Call - FY23Q3 | 4% decline for MS Gaming, Xbox HW down 30%

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Microsoft now:
crying-wiping-tears-with-money.gif

feynoob

Phil being Phil is making people say crazy things.

Having looked at their guidance they are sandbagging yet again.
The situation would be the same or worse for hardware units, if xsx starts to stock up.

Currently, Xss is carrying the brand, which makes the revenue down.

GHG

Imagine if Phil was Don though.

7yDgyYQ.gif

People like to ignore this, but Phil was right there with Don when all the shit around the Xbox One launch was going on. He even admitted it himself, he only got the job because he was the only on that managed to survive and/or chose to stick around.

Everything that's happened to their first party studios over the last decade+ falls squarely on his shoulders.

bender

What time is it?
People like to ignore this, but Phil was right there with Don when all the shit around the Xbox One launch was going on. He even admitted it himself, he only got the job because he was the only on that managed to survive and/or chose to stick around.

Everything that's happened to their first party studios over the last decade+ falls squarely on his shoulders.

Chain of command doesn't mean subordinates share the same vision as their superiors.

fermcr

Can I buy used games still? Yes I can. Am I forced to pay extra for bullshit Kinect nonsense? No I am not. Xbox One cost $100 more than PS4 and sabotaged Xbox for years due to these bullshit "ideas" Mattrick came up with.

I don't own a Xbox... I'm a PC gamer. I see this console war from a different perspective.

I'm going to ask you a honest question. Do you actually fell happy about the present state of the Xbox Series and don't you think Sony is doing a better job with the PS5?

feynoob

While has some sort of blame, it all falls on Don.

Phil this gen managed to buy alot of 1st party studios for Xbox, while don slacked during his tenure. Though he made alot of great games for Xbox, he is still neglected the most important aspect, which was 1st party studios that make compeling games for Xbox,

He had the chance for Bioware, cdpr and alot of studios.

feynoob

I don't own a Xbox... I'm a PC gamer. I see this console war from a different perspective.

I'm going to ask you a honest question. Do you actually fell happy about the present state of the Xbox Series and don't you think Sony is doing a better job with the PS5?
This will be their full roaster after activision deal. Compare this list to Xbox one or X360.
Xbox-First-Party-Studios-1024x715.jpg

Regardless of the Don vs Phil debate...

Considering the sales trajectory, the Series consoles combined will have a hard time surpassing the 51M of Xbox One, that was considered a terrible console made by an idiot....

Think about that for a second....

Phil this gen managed to buy alot of 1st party studios for Xbox, while don slacked during his tenure. Though he made alot of great games for Xbox, he is still neglected the most important aspect, which was 1st party studios that make compeling games for Xbox,

Phil spencer is buying them? Lol

Microsoft is, not Phil spencer. Phil spencer is a disposable employee just like mattrick was. He has no power and does what his superiors tell him to do.

Honestly, I am happy with what xbox is doing with game pass and releasing unique games. They could do better with AAA games, but they didn't start really investing sadly until 2018. With that said, I did enjoyed Halo infinite, Forza Horizon 3, and Gears Tactics (hope we get a sequel).

I truly think MSFT is doing better than Sony in regards to gaming investments and Xbox in general as they are setting up to own more studios and more big time IPS.

Think about it, they will own the biggest FPS and MMO soon which they can leverage not just xbox, but their cloud service significantly. My biggest complaint is MSFT should've done this during the 360 era. They could've gotten Activision and Bethesda games a lot earlier.

Last edited:

feynoob

Considering the sales trajectory, the Series consoles combined will have a hard time surpassing the 51M of Xbox One, that was considered a terrible console made by an idiot....

XbS sold around 20m by now. That is a better trajectory than Xbox one.

It will pass 51m easily and has better first party studio than Xbox one.

Topher

Gold Member

You switched gears dramatically, dude, but ok. I game on all platforms. PC, PS5, XSX, Switch.

To answer your question, Sony is absolutely doing a better job with PS5 than Microsoft is with Xbox Series. I'll go further and say I don't think Xbox would even be a thing if an idiot like Don Mattrick were left in charge. Phil Spencer has had an nearly impossible job and he has done remarkably well. That's my opinion and, frankly, I favor PlayStation more than Xbox because I like PS games more. I think everyone knows that about me and I've never said otherwise.

So.....there it is.

Last edited:

jm89

Phil has been in charge for Xbox for almost a decade, and even with acquisitons is still fucking up. They needed daddy Satya to bail him out with abk.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Xbox and PlayStation are done for, only Nintendo will remain. The war is over!
No, you don't get it.

MS and especially Sony are not over.Far from it. They are changing their focus, and moving their gaze elsewhere where they think they will find more success and thus money.

Nintendo is doing the same thing, but their expansion is more focused on levering their IP on other industries(movies and theme parks) rather than moving away from consoles.

feynoob

That's because of Microsoft big pockets, not because of Phil Spencer...

It's like gloating about buying a big house with your dad's money....
That is what Ceo does. Make parent company invest on their platform.
Its not phils job to run Xbox without funding from their parent company.

Phil has been in charge for Xbox almost decade, and even with a acquisitons is still fucking up. They needed daddy Satya to bail him out with abk.
I am not gonna have this conversation again. Check the end of this gen, whether XbS is bad or not.

XbS sold around 20m by now. That is a better trajectory than Xbox one.

It will pass 51m easily and has better first party studio than Xbox one.
It is doing better than the Xbox 360 as well. Keep in mind MSFT is supporting more platforms than the 360 generation. Cloud, PC, and even Nintendo at this point.

Pedro Motta

No, you don't get it.

MS and especially Sony are not over.Far from it. They are changing their focus, and moving their gaze elsewhere where they think they will find more success and thus money.

Nintendo is doing the same thing, but their expansion is more focused on levering their IP on other industries(movies and theme parks) rather than moving away from consoles.
Leveraging their IP in other mediums is exactly what Sony is doing.

30% down in 3rd year is awful. No way to spin this. Even more worrying is how do they improve this? Starfield alone will not change anything. What do Microsoft do if console sales keep declining?
Use it as ammo to buy activision. Regardless of not being number one, they make billions in the gaming space. It’s not like they will fold any time soon.

They still have so many games coming that will be worth a damn. Hellblade 2, Avowed, Starfield, Forza, Stalker 2, Fable, even maybe a new Quake.

Last edited:

GHG

Chain of command doesn't mean subordinates share the same vision as their superiors.

I'm questioning whether Phil has a vision at all to be honest. I've never seen a huge brand more lacking in identy than Xbox is currently.

Phil was head of first party throughout all of Mattrick's tenure and all he managed to do was shut down studios/teams, approve substandard releases and screw up external partnerships.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?

Hardware doesn't seem to be the aim of Microsoft's gaming division. Services and publishing is the pivot we are witnessing.

I'm questioning whether Phil has a vision at all to be honest. I've never seen a huge brand more lacking in identy than Xbox is currently.

See above.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
MS and especially Sony are not over.Far from it. They are changing their focus, and moving their gaze elsewhere where they think they will find more success and thus money. It seems pretty clear that they think that having a platform(Somewhere you buy your games from, a storefront in a sense, is more profitable. That can be downloaded from any device, be it a PC, a gaming dedicated hardware, or smart tvs) is more important and profitable than focusing on a hardware, an ecosystem that you have 100% control. Are they right? Who knows.Only time will tell, but I can certainly see the logic behind it.

ulantan

No, you don't get it.

I could have sworn I just watched Halo and the Last of Us.

Top Bottom