• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"MS has read the market wrong regardless correcting their mistake with Xbox One" WhatCulture Gaming

feynoob

Banned
Fox Tv Popcorn GIF by The Four

Kurotri

I'm not going to pretend that they didn't manage to sell me the Series X on pure hopium. A lot of people probably feel the same in that regard. If I didn't already have my PS5 I would probably hate myself.

If Starfield doesn't hit I'm probably going to sell it and be done with Xbox tbh. My role as a consumer is to be rewarded for exchanging my money for products and not making some weird excuses for years on end for them not being able to do that.

I mean, really? A piece of paper on the back of the box telling me it's not launching with 60 fps?

😂

RGB'D

I'm not going to pretend that they didn't manage to sell me the Series X on pure hopium. A lot of people probably feel the same in that regard. If I didn't already have my PS5 I would probably hate myself.

If Starfield doesn't hit I'm probably going to sell it and be done with Xbox tbh. My role as a consumer is to be rewarded for exchanging my money for products and not making some weird excuses for years on end for them not being able to do that.

I mean, really? A piece of paper on the back of the box telling me it's not launching with 60 fps?

😂
Avowed is what I'm still hanging on for. They still have great devs like Obsidian, Double Fine, Bethesda and even Arkane (minus Redfall).

FunkMiller

Gold Member

I don't regret buying my Series X at all, even with the poor showing. I've discovered many games on GP I wouldn't have otherwise, the emulation capabilities are great, it acts as a decent media centre, and I can actually travel with the XSX, something that's impossible with that stupid big Playstation bitch.

But I use it a lot less than I do my Ps5, no doubt about it.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
This Redfall release has really screwed Microsoft. They absolutely cannot afford to release software in an unfinished state.

Given that everyone expects Bethesda games to be a little bit rough around the edges. I think they're in a pretty bad spot now.

If Starfield isn't looking so good right now, they're in a bit of a damned if they do/don't situation with releasing or delaying it. People will be furious if it's delayed. People will say the brand is synonymous with failure if they put it out.

Wow.

Should've delayed Redfall.

Last edited:

MikeM

There is no reason to own an Xbox if you have a PC, or want to get one. There are no console exclusives anymore. Whereas there are plenty of reasons to own a PS5 even with a PC.

I find it weird how they do this. Don’t you want people in your ecosystem?

Last edited:

Kurotri

There is no reason to own an Xbox if you have a PC, or want to get one. There are no console exclusives anymore. Whereas there are plenty of reasons to own a PS5 even with a PC.
How much does a decent PC cost to build nowadays? I'd be pretty happy if it could do 60fps on 1080p myself.

Leaving market means bad for gamers.

Changing means people need to be patient, as it's going to be a painful process.
Yes very bad. To me really bad news for Xbox is that PS5 is beating Xbox Series X in performance as well even that Xbox has higher raw performance. Some people will say it is due to API but it is not. It's due to market share and priority base development.

Last edited:
What gets me if they sorted out the things people are talking about, the fans having a go at negativity are the type to be the first to champion improvements all the while having a dig at people who wanted to see it being better in the first fucking place!

feynoob

Banned
Yes very bad. To me really bad news for Xbox is that PS5 is beating Xbox Series X in performance as well even that Xbox has higher raw performance. Some people will say it is due to API but it is not. It's due to market share and priority base development.
Power and performance ties to how much can you utilize the system.

Most powerful devices are limited to the people that are using them.

PS5 is easy to develop, which means you can utilize the hardware efficiency.

geary

Leaving market means bad for gamers.

Changing means people need to be patient, as it's going to be a painful process.
Not to mention that change requires capable people with experience and expertise and we all know those are growing on trees right now.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
They simply do no not make quality games. Plus abysmal studio management.

20+ years in the game and what.. 1.. maybe 2 GOTY contenders in that timespan?

That speaks volumes. You're lying to yourself if you say its a coincidence.

They simply do not know what quality games look like.

They are all about "value", "being able to play everywhere" and "services"

Phil has made it painfully obvious.

Last edited:

aries_71

Well, you have splits close to 80% vs 20%. It‘s the least you could expect. Next step would be directly not bothering to port it.

Tg89

I think Xbox is still a good platform if you're a super casual gamer who just wants to dabble sometimes. Get a Series S and sign up to gamepass, it'll satisfy you just nicely.

Would also be great if you're younger/early teens and don't really have your own income yet. As a kid, having access to all that content for $20 a month would have been great. But eventually you get to a point where time is more valuable than money and it just loses the value. Especially if you have a PC.

I have enjoyed my series x, but mostly for last gen games (had no ps4 or xbone). The quality of the new games is fine but there is not that much interesting with a release date.

Gamepass is awesome, especially since going to 150meg fttp making streaming a pleasure.

But that isn't going to carry me for a generation. If Forza and Starfield disappoint I will probably be looking to jump over to a ps5 slim.

Three

I think this idea that gamepass is only 15% of their revenue and so not fundamental to their strategy is not seeing the entire picture. Most of the rest isn't made up from premium game sales. The rest is made up of hardware (at a loss) and mtx/dlc. Both of which rely to a good degree on gamepass.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I have never made a $500 sympathy purchase.

Xbox needs a killer game. Maybe Starfield will do it, but who knows. Halo should have been it, but while it was fun, it was not enough. SW sells HW.

Thirty7ven

Banned
They need a banger summer Xbox showcase. None of that CG crap either. AAA games that draw attention take a long time, so it’s going to set the tone for the next two or three years of the console.

Microsoft has made a number of mistakes. Lacklustester 1st party support, stronger system on paper that routinely performs worse than PS5, no real exclusive games since you can build a cheap PC and play all MS 1st party games on day one, and Game Pass cannibalizes software sales which is probably a big reason why 3rd party support isn't as strong as what Sony has. There is no remedy here without backpedaling. PC and Xbox day and date releases devalues the need for an Xbox, and Game Pass makes the platform a less attractive place for non-1st party studios in many cases.

Last edited:
Top Bottom