• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mueller teams up with New York attorney general in Manafort probe

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/30/manafort-mueller-probe-attorney-general-242191

Special counsel Robert Mueller’s team is working with New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman on its investigation into Paul Manafort and his financial transactions, according to several people familiar with the matter.

The cooperation is the latest indication that the federal probe into President Donald Trump’s former campaign chairman is intensifying. It also could potentially provide Mueller with additional leverage to get Manafort to cooperate in the larger investigation into Trump’s campaign, as Trump does not have pardon power over state crimes.

The two teams have shared evidence and talked frequently in recent weeks about a potential case, these people said. One of the people familiar with progress on the case said both Mueller’s and Schneiderman’s teams have collected evidence on financial crimes, including potential money laundering.

No decision has been made on where or whether to file charges. “Nothing is imminent,” said one of the people familiar with the case.

Manafort has not been accused of any wrongdoing and has previously denied it. A spokesman for Manafort didn’t return phone calls seeking comment

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Get Manafort with state charges and flip him. Flip him like that gif someone will hopefully post!

Smart to prepare for Trump trying to pardon everybody. One question I have is what is the earliest somebody can be pardoned by a president in the judicial process?

antonz

They kept talking about how Pardoning Arpaio was a message to Mueller.

This is a shot across the bow at Trump bigtime.

Smart to prepare for Trump trying to pardon everybody. One question I have is what is the earliest somebody can be pardoned by a president in the judicial process?

As long as a federal crime has already occurred can pardon them before anything happens in the system.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

He can do it at any time, the implications however are different when he would use the pardon.

Kahoona

Schneiderman is the man. He was the one who went after Trump University. He's also gone after political corruption in New York.

I hope this doesn't derail the thread too much, but what are the justifications for a president to be able to pardon anybody even before a conviction?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Trump showed his hand way too early with the Arpaio pardon.

GG

I think it has always been known Trump would pardon everyone and himself. This is why, I might be misremembering though, they are also looking at crimes done by Trump at the state level.

Joe

- FBI raid
- Former attorney subpoenaed
- Spokesperson subpoenaed
- New York State Attorney General cooperation

Mueller is trying to get Manafort to flip.

They're all gonna be pardoned anyway.

So it's not like they're gonna talk.

You can't pardon State charges. Also, once pardoned you don't have 5th amendment rights, so technically if Trump pardons Manafort and company they would be forced to testify or be held in contempt.

I've heard pundits say Trump could pardon people held in contempt after being pardoned for collusion charges, but that seems impossible. I cannot foresee a United States where a president can pardon everybody in a huge collision case against an enemy of America AND then pardon them again for not testifying. I know it's bad now but that seems unthinkable and even the sleaziest republicans would riot.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
You can't pardon State charges. Also, once pardoned you don't have 5th amendment rights, so technically if Trump pardons Manafort and company they would be forced to testify or be held in contempt.

I've heard pundits say Trump could pardon people held in contempt after being pardoned for collusion charges, but that seems impossible. I cannot foresee a United States where a president can pardon everybody in a huge collision case against an enemy of America AND then pardon them again for not testifying. I know it's bad now but that seems unthinkable and even the sleaziest republicans would riot.

Also the pendulum swings both ways.

Oh he will. He fired the last one Preet Bharara which got us the current one if I remember correctly.
Preet was the US Attorney for the southern district of NY which is a position appointed by the president. NY AG is elected by the state and the only thing Trump could do to him is tweet mean things.

Preet was the US Attorney for the southern district of NY - US Attorneys are appointed by the president and the president can fire them. NY AG is elected by the state and the only thing Trump could do to him is tweet mean things.

Ah thanks for clarifying. That's promising then. Trump will still try to ask if he can fire him though.

Joe

Oh shit. This whole time I thought the 'Arpaio pardon is a signal' take meant Trump signaling he's going to pardon people and not give a fuck (in a general sense). I never thought of it as a specific signal to Manafort and others to 'stay quiet and I'll pardon you too'.

d443ff9-520x245.gif

I would pause to note here that the NYAG is an elected position and is coming up in 2018. I wonder how much Trump and his cronies will spend to defeat him.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I would pause to note here that the NYAG is an elected position and is coming up in 2018. I wonder how much Trump and his cronies will spend to defeat him.

Oh, Christ. Now this is a curve ball.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Schniderman is going to be AG until Cuomo gives up the Governor's mansion and he can move on up.

Besides, everyone in NY hates Trump's guts. We've all hated him for years. If word got out he was trying to get Schniderman out we'd all vote for him just to spite Trump.

Schneiderman will be NY Governor one day. He's not losing next fall.

Yup.

dramatis

I mean, Trump can spend all he wants, but this is still New York. If he nationalizes the NYAG race, NYC is going to turn out.

el jacko

I mean, Trump can spend all he wants, but this is still New York. If he nationalizes the NYAG race, NYC is going to turn out.
Trump won the presidency bombing in NY state. There's no way a Republican can win a statewide election in NY state and still be a nationally viable candidate.

Trump was uniquely credible as a candidate in sections of upstate NY, but that appeal has largely disappeared over the past few months, and I suspect that by 2018 most of upstate NY will drift back into the Democrat field like it was in the late 2000s.

CDX

Good.

Hopefully the Virginia Attorney General will be doing the same. And honestly any other state where Trump and his acquaintances may have committed crimes in those states.

If they committed crimes. Overwhelm them in state charges that Trump can't magically pardon away.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
Oh he will. He fired the last one Preet Bharara which got us the current one if I remember correctly.

He couldn't fire Eric Schneiderman if he wanted to. Schneiderman is a state employee, not a federal one, like Bharara was...

Schneiderman will be NY Governor one day. He's not losing next fall.

Schniderman is going to be AG until Cuomo gives up the Governor's mansion and he can move on up.

Besides, everyone in NY hates Trump's guts. We've all hated him for years. If word got out he was trying to get Schniderman out we'd all vote for him just to spite Trump.

Yup.

Maybe. He only won his elections 55-45.

Top Bottom