• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Muramasa Rebirth |OT| Japanese-tastic 2D Vanillaware Action, Reborn in HD

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Vanillaware said they're still making it but... It's a bit surprising that not even the Nekomata is out in Japan yet. Makes me wonder what Aksys are doing, if anything, about getting the DLC out ASAP.
I'm pretty sure Dragon's Crown has swallowed Vanillaware whole. They just don't have a lot of people to work with...everyone remembers what happened with GKH, right? XSEED couldn't do anything then, and it's unlikely that Aksys can do anything now.

I'm not expecting to hear anything about the Muramasa DLC until DC goes gold in Japan, at the very earliest.

Noi

pardon my ignorance and lack of gaming skills but how hard is this game? i'm an old man and my reflexes aren't what they used to be. this game is downright beautiful and intriguing to me. i have been eyeing it since it came out on wii. seems like a perfect fit to download for my vita (small memory wise) but if it's super hard (like the ninja gaiden series, no offense) i'll just save my money. i don't like to much of a challenge these days (this from a person that beat the first ninja gaiden on nes years ago, that was a bitch) i just like to have fun and enjoy the ride (visuals and story). so muramasa experts, what would you compare it to. once again sorry for my ignorance.

Legend mode lets you parry a lot of incoming attacks just by attacking, and the game gives you a lot of stuff to use to avoid getting killed, so it's nowhere near as hard as games like Ninja Gaiden. I don't think you have much to worry about!

I'm pretty sure Dragon's Crown has swallowed Vanillaware whole. They just don't have a lot of people to work with...everyone remembers what happened with GKH, right? XSEED couldn't do anything then, and it's unlikely that Aksys can do anything now.

I'm not expecting to hear anything about the Muramasa DLC until DC goes gold in Japan, at the very earliest.

Oh, yeah, no doubt about that. I even wondered for a while of they were biting more than they could chew, seeing how it's four additional characters with different weapons and such when the original game only has 2 with shared weapons. But some of the characters look fun, so I hope we get it!

Sykotik

pardon my ignorance and lack of gaming skills but how hard is this game? i'm an old man and my reflexes aren't what they used to be. this game is downright beautiful and intriguing to me. i have been eyeing it since it came out on wii. seems like a perfect fit to download for my vita (small memory wise) but if it's super hard (like the ninja gaiden series, no offense) i'll just save my money. i don't like to much of a challenge these days (this from a person that beat the first ninja gaiden on nes years ago, that was a bitch) i just like to have fun and enjoy the ride (visuals and story). so muramasa experts, what would you compare it to. once again sorry for my ignorance.

In my opinion, the difficulty was never really an issue, except maybe on some of the later bosses. But, you can always grind to unlock more powerful swords and buy stacks of healing items.

legbone

thanks for the replies guys. i really want to play this. looks like i'll give it a shot. if i can grind to get more powerful that's cool. grinding in those gorgeous areas won't be as bad since the scenery will be so nice.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well I just got home from GameStop! I'll pop this in my Vita in a few minutes~!
xEvAad6l.jpg

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Just picked up mine from GS; I like this hard case, I can use it as a stand for my Vita :)

So do the DLC characters just replace Kisuke and Momohime in the main game?

From what we've heard, they get their own Senarios, and possibly their own bosses. So they each have their own tales to play through.

Pejo

For anyone that got in on the 29.99 Pre-order from Newegg, my card got charged this morning, and the status is now "Shipped". Joy of joys!

Requiem173

Neo Member
I just picked up the last copy of muramasa at the local gamestop. They were so understocked that all they had left was the gutted copy (to use the case for display). Does the retail come with anything besides the actual game card? Feels weird to buy a game new but already opened.

Yuterald

Played for about 45 minutes so far. First impressions are great. Game looks gorgeous still, controls better, and is more fun than I remembered. Forgot how amazing the OST is too. Already fell back in love with it. Localization seems much better at first glance, obviously. I'm following the game more than I ever did at this point in the Wii version so I guess that's a good thing, lol!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I just picked up the last copy of muramasa at the local gamestop. They were so understocked that all they had left was the gutted copy (to use the case for display). Does the retail come with anything besides the actual game card? Feels weird to buy a game new but already opened.

Could always go digital.

Giolon

I couldn't wait for my Limited Edition to arrive from Amazon (wtf is up with shipping out yesterday evening?) so I bought it on PSN. I do not regret it.

matmanx1

I caved and bought a digital copy. $34.99 is very fair for a game of this quality. I own Odin's Sphere digitally as well and I have a thing for Vanillaware so I have no problem keeping this one long term.

After playing the the first couple of stages I hereby request that all future Vanillaware titles appear on an OLED screen at some point in their life cycle. This game is incredibly gorgeous on the Vita.

TheMink

Holy crap this game, Odin Spheres combat made zero sense to me (not going to say it was bad because i really have no idea) this game though. Damn, its beautiful and awesome and fairly stat heavy which is awesome.

If Dragons Crown is anything like this i will incredibly happy.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Anyone have a track listing of the 5-track CD? Kind of bums me out when I get a bonus CD (either pre-order or LE) and it's under 10 tracks, but I'd like to add it to my collection for stuff to listen to in the car along with the CDs I got with BlazBlue CSE, P4 Arena, and Zone of the Enders.

& STILL on "Now Shipping" status. Starting to wonder if it'll still arrive tomorrow.

TheMink

But, lol at the default controls. Thank god i can change them XD

Yeah let's assign every single action to the same button, forget about this other 20 buttons.

Also the D-Pad is so amazing why would the default to the analog stick?

antibolo

Banned
I thought so. I recently imported project diva f and it had a good deal of stuff inside. The imports are throwing me off!

Japanese region Vita games do have stuff in them. Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus actually comes with a very nice manual.

The whole "no printed manual" bullshit is only in North America (and I assume Europe too??)

Noi

Anyone have a track listing of the 5-track CD? Kind of bums me out when I get a bonus CD (either pre-order or LE) and it's under 10 tracks, but I'd like to add it to my collection for stuff to listen to in the car along with the CDs I got with BlazBlue CSE, P4 Arena, and Zone of the Enders.

No one reads the OP confirmed. :p

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Finally. Got back in from mowing to find out it's changed to shipped and it's still estimated t arrive tomorrow. It'll be a nice break from PxZ that I've been playing over the last two days.

Acosta

Agh, the doubts of the modern importer: messing with the accounts to get this now or buying online a physical copy and waiting for days until it arrives.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Got home and found no change in the order status, so I ended up going to Gamestop and picked it up. Had to drive out to a store a bit far away, too, and they said I got the only copy they received.

And of course, AFTER I try to cancel the Amazon order, a shipping notification finally pops up, lol.

nikos

Found it at a "local" GameStop. Unfortunately, it was an open box item that was put on the shelf. Stickers came right off though, and it looks mint.

I put "local" in quotes because I'm staying in LA but live in NY. On another note, public transit here isn't the greatest.

Pein

Banned
I'm trying the tutorial and I can't get the square button to work, I made sure its not a hardware problem because I checked the button in other games and it works fine. This is a pain.

EDIT skipped the tutorial and it works fine now.

Noi

I'm trying the tutorial and I can't get the square button to work, I made sure its not a hardware problem because I checked the button in other games and it works fine. This is a pain.

EDIT skipped the tutorial and it works fine now.

The tutorial doesn't let you do any actions other than explicitly what it's asking for...

Elios83

Bought yeasterday (digital version on the US store), I'm already at act 7 :D
It's really fun and addicting.
I found the normal mode to be a bit easy (buttom smasher like) I prefer to play in chaos mode where you have to play a bit more stategically, especially in boss battles.
Graphics are amazing on the Vita screen.

Skilletor

Stuck in the first area. The game is telling me to go to Edo, but there's a yellow barrier blocking my way and it tells me I need a more powerful demon blade to get through. I have forged every blade I can equip at this point. I've been running around fighting ninjas and samurai for 30 minutes with no clue what to do. I feel like I missed something simple in the tutorial since I wasn't really paying attention. I watched a Let's Play of the Wii version, and the guy just got got through with a weaker blade than i'm using. Is it elemental? The first one I broke through was red, I think.

I feel super stupid right now, lol. :/

Halp?

Edit: I think I'm stupid. Missed an area to the right of where I thought I was stuck.

Top Bottom