• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia S2 |OT| This is Going to Stain my Hero Record. No Manga Spoilers!!!

Lakuza

Aizawa just seemed to let Momo run in the opposite direction. She managed to get to Todoroki faster than him, and even freed him before he arrived.

He should have more experience in catching up with a girl in a skimpy suit.

Momo had zero confidence after the sports festival and todoroki was known to go solo for most of it and not rely on others, which is why Aizawa chose to fix those problems/weaknesses instead of outright crushing them (and breaking the rules a little for what this exam was meant to be for). What he did was important for the long term for their development as future heroes.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Context matters lol

DJSZrp0X0AAiyHm.jpg:large

NEO0MJ

Except for Za Hando!

tumblr_oa9ppl1YWk1s9hagko2_540.gif

I like that she just stares in the first scene trying to process what's going on.

Momo had zero confidence after the sports festival and todoroki was known to go solo for most of it and not rely on others, which is why Aizawa chose to fix those problems/weaknesses instead of outright crushing them (and breaking the rules a little for what this exam was meant to be for). What he did was important for the long term for their development as future heroes.

Yeah. He didn't want to simply give them the win so he kept pushing them in certain ways until they started to think about what they were doing wrong.

I haven't read the manga, but I really don't care about this arc, mostly because I don't care about many these side characters. It's not interesting on any level.
I don't know how obvious it was in the anime, but from the moment Mono lost in the tournament in the manga,I (and others) could tell that it would obviously be leading to something, an then Horikoshi just kept adding on more and more momen5s that supported that, so this focus felt like the logical conclusion.

LotusHD

Banned
Lmao at Froppy having no weaknesses, but having to be emotional support for Tokoyami, she was the main one being clutch lol

Man, every time I look at Momo's outfit, I'm like, "How unfortunate" lol

Anyways, she is going to be a beast once she's fully confident in her abilities, she did very well here, best team-up shown so far.

Am I the only one who actually wasn't paying attention to Momo's outfit much? Aizawa's line didn't come off as anything but caring.

I mean, I noticed it, but yea I agree that there was nothing weird about Aizawa's comment. He's the best teacher after all.

Neoxon

Solid episode. I enjoyed the team-work between Tenya & Tailman and how Froppy & Tsukoyomi won their match. Creati getting her confidence back was also nice.

Poor Uravity, though. She's always getting teased about her & Deku. Though I think this was the first time she was directly called out on it.

NEO0MJ

I mean, I noticed it, but yea I agree that there was nothing weird about Aizawa's comment. He's the best teacher after all.

I was going to counter with "But All Might!" but then I thought more about the teacher part and remembered how much he sucks at that role, lol.

dickroach

is there anything in manga that explains her costume?

when she was creating that ribbon stuff it looked like she was doing it from her chest somehow

when she was creating that ribbon stuff it looked like she was doing it from her chest somehow

Basically, she can only create things with as large of a cross-section as she has bare skin available. So more bare skin = more stuff.

It's dumb. I hope they give her a better costume soon.

caliph95

I don't know how you can't be confident in yourself when you constantly expose your chest that way.

giphy.gif

It's supposed gives her space for to materialize funny enough when she unbuttoned her shirt and was going running with her chest and bra exposed and sports bra will be more practical

So partly fanservice

Ezalc

It's pretty stupid if stop and consider that it's infinitely easier for her to just pull shit from her back, like a classic cartoon character, rather flash everybody every time for it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Her quirk transmutes lipids into material, and her lipids are concentrated on her chest.

It makes "sense".

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
So is Todoroki's outfit just his tournament school attire modified? If so I guess it's understandable. People recognize him anyway as the son of Endeavor so a unique outfit isn't needed.

Blues1990

So is Todoroki's outfit just his tournament school attire modified? If so I guess it's understandable. People recognize him anyway as the son of Endeavor so a unique outfit isn't needed.

He might get his own outfit to distance himself from his father down the road, if their relationship is anything to go by.

kirblar

Todoroki's whole thing is about him needing to learn to embrace his privileges and use them for good instead of feeling guilty and running from them. Him picking the plain school outfit ties right into that.

Eraserhead is such a badass

2017-09-0921_16_53-bo2tsit.png

I always felt this was kind of a joke and pointless match, like those spikes on the ground are really supposed to be painful to Todoroki and something he couldnt for defenses again, or even getting caught, like he could havent have made a Ice clone and escaped it?Horikoshi always sees to find silly ways to ruin his own stories and oddly they always seem to involve the best characters in the series.

There's a sort of connection there. An omake page revealed that all of the costumes were made by support companies that UA sends the students' requests to. Some have distinctive design elements based on the designer at the company and some will have no distinct style. Todoroki and Deku's were both apparently designed by the same person (which is funny since Deku's original costume was designed by himself and made by his mom) but you can see how similar his and Todoroki's are in terms of simplicity and utility.

(For reference, the other costumes that share a designer that Horikoshi mentioned are: Kaminari and Jirou; Momo, Ashido, Tsuyu, and Mineta; and Bakugou and Uraraka, who both have two prominent black dots on their chest that their designer apparently loves to leave on costumes as a trademark.)

Neoxon

It's an entirely new outfit, likely due to Todoroki now using his fire. The old costume was only made to withstand his ice.

These extended matches and the changed order is making me confused as to where the season is going to end, it also seems like they're going to be switching around what the last fight was as well which is disappointing, and them not having the fights all take place at the same time is ruining a bit of the tension/running clock the manga had.
I love the animation though, it's all still good.

I just hope the season ends on THAT chapter.

ShadyK54

These extended matches and the changed order is making me confused as to where the season is going to end, it also seems like they're going to be switching around what the last fight was as well which is disappointing, and them not having the fights all take place at the same time is ruining a bit of the tension/running clock the manga had.
I love the animation though, it's all still good.

I just hope the season ends on THAT chapter.

The safe answer is probably Deku/Bakugo vs. All Might since a lot transpires from what I remember. And because duh, it's Deku & Bakugo being forced to team up.

Gonna have to refresh on the chapter you're alluding to, though. :p

It's hard to expect the audience to take Momo seriously when they treat her as a fanservice joke, even during her "breakthrough" moments.

Laiza

I really want to like Momo, but that costume... that bloody costume...!

And yeah, some of the logic in Tsuyu and Tokoyami's fight felt a bit contrived (especially since they only managed to cuff one leg, which doesn't seem especially debilitating). Ah, well. At least they still have room to grow.

Iida and Ojiro really work well together, though to be fair, I'm pretty sure the only one who could have stopped them would be Aizawa. They'd just be too fast as a pair for anyone else to catch.

All-in-all, a decent enough episode. Looking forward to what comes next.

caliph95

giphy.gif

The safe answer is probably Deku/Bakugo vs. All Might since a lot transpires from what I remember. And because duh, it's Deku & Bakugo being forced to team up.

Gonna have to refresh on the chapter you're alluding to, though. :p
Guessing it's Deku
reuniting with best boy with hands

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I hope you're joking.

Frederick is an adult, and his characterization and design aren't solely focused on sexuality at the expense of everything else.

I'm joking, i know nothing about this Frederick guy but i found it funny how "fan service"- ish his shirt is damaged.

But honestly i don't have a problem with Momo's outfit, because i don't really focus on it... i rather read the pretty fast subtitles than look at dem tittays.

Nightbird

I don't really have a problem with Momos costume. Her reason for it is not as stupid as "she breathes trough her skin", and it's not the most revealing thing.

I'm sure other authors would have her run around in a string bikini if they had the opportunity to use that excuse.

Its tame in context for me...

Meffer

There's a sort of connection there. An omake page revealed that all of the costumes were made by support companies that UA sends the students' requests to. Some have distinctive design elements based on the designer at the company and some will have no distinct style. Todoroki and Deku's were both apparently designed by the same person (which is funny since Deku's original costume was designed by himself and made by his mom) but you can see how similar his and Todoroki's are in terms of simplicity and utility.

(For reference, the other costumes that share a designer that Horikoshi mentioned are: Kaminari and Jirou; Momo, Ashido, Tsuyu, and Mineta; and Bakugou and Uraraka, who both have two prominent black dots on their chest that their designer apparently loves to leave on costumes as a trademark.)

Todoroki and Deku's were apparently designed and modified by Hatsume.

ShadyK54

But honestly i don't have a problem with Momo's outfit, because i don't really focus on it... i rather read the pretty fast subtitles than look at dem tittays.

Pretty much. Coincidentally, the only times I focus on it is when it's brought up/criticized in this thread. :p

caliph95

Eh it's not the worst and it has a justification but could be better especially for a physical activity as heroes

Still not the worst thing
Pretty much. Coincidentally, the only times I focus on it is when it's brought up/criticized in this thread. :p
I learn to ignore ages ago it helps that the fanservice is tame for a shonen not that is high bar

Laiza

Good for you if you don't really notice it.

I notice it because she's one of many, many, many female characters in manga and anime that get shoved into ridiculous outfits for transparently stupid reasons and I don't appreciate how indicative she is of how female characters get treated generally across the industry. I don't exactly have the option of not noticing it when it's fucking ubiquitous and only contributes to a problem that I really want to see end within my lifespan (but probably won't).

Hell, as stated before, she could have the exact same level of skin exposure if she just wore shorts and a sports bra, and yet here we are. Here we are again!

Reading about folks' general apathy about this stuff just drives me up the wall, too. I already know there's thousands of viewers who really couldn't give a shit, so what? Who does that help? Good for you, really. Good for you.

caliph95

I notice it because she's one of many, many, many female characters in manga and anime that get shoved into ridiculous outfits for transparently stupid reasons and I don't appreciate how indicative she is of how female characters get treated generally across the industry. I don't exactly have the option of not noticing it when it's fucking ubiquitous and only contributes to a problem that I really want to see end within my lifespan (but probably won't).

Hell, as stated before, she could have the exact same level of skin exposure if she just wore shorts and a sports bra, and yet here we are. Here we are again!

Reading about folks' general apathy about this stuff just drives me up the wall, too. I already know there's thousands of viewers who really couldn't give a shit, so what? Who does that help? Good for you, really. Good for you.
Her festival outfit is more practical funny enough, she doesn't have to worry about tearing her costume off when making a cloak like when the league invaded UA
It's hard not to notice it in the current ep when there's a shot of her chest running in slow motion.
And when she threw flashbacks

Shouta

Basically, she can only create things with as large of a cross-section as she has bare skin available. So more bare skin = more stuff.

It's dumb. I hope they give her a better costume soon.

There is. It isn't a very good explaination imo, but it does make sense.

Her quirk transmutes lipids into material, and her lipids are concentrated on her chest.

It makes "sense".

As haly points out, Momo's quirk transmutes lipids into whatever she wants as long as she can recall its full make-up. That's the reason why she's so book smart, she's studied everything to best utilize her quirk.

The other aspect to her quirk, as I recall, is that she has no control of where stuff comes out when she creates it. It just seems to have rules though where the bigger object, the higher the surface area required to make it materialize. If you notice during USJ, the giant blanket she used to protect her and Kyoka from Kaminari's lightning was pushed out through her back, ripping her clothes in the process, while the bolas she used to stop a villain was ejected from her elbow, I think? The animation for this currents episode does a weird job at it but the matryoshkas she makes in this episode were popping out of her arms randomly in the manga. So it seems smaller objects will auto-create in exposed areas while larger ones will default to other places as necessary.

Her in universe reason for the costume is the above basically and the fact she isn't really bothered by nudity all that much. From the author's side of it, it's fanservice and likely an additional check and balance on her abilities.

It's a bad costume. I still like her as a character quite a bit, but that's an argument in favor of replacing it more than anything else. Good characters should have good costumes, hers is not.

It stand out amongst the Class A girls too as one being primarily fanservice focused. The rest are pretty good.

Okay, technically, Hagakure is nude. But idk how that counts.

LotusHD

Banned
Out of all the class 1-A girls Momo and Tsuyu are the ones I like the most. I just wished Momo had a better costume.

It's all about Uraraka and Alien Queen for me lol

I don't really have a problem with Momos costume. Her reason for it is not as stupid as "she breathes trough her skin", and it's not the most revealing thing.

I'm sure other authors would have her run around in a string bikini if they had the opportunity to use that excuse.

Its tame in context for me...

I dunno, I just agree with something like a sports bra getting the job done just as well in terms of making it easy to access her abilities.

I always notice it, but I only bother to say something when everyone is talking about it.

Agree with the bolded.

Lets talk about the worst costume for fanservice though. Kirishima and his bare chest. Too much manliness to handle!

All jokes aside I've watched and read too many animes and mangas with far worse fanservice to this being even a blip on the radar.

If people truly care about the effects of fanservice. They need to make a group that can influence content such as anime and manga and give a good substitute for it in the current state of the industry.

I think everyone's costume is fine the way they are with maybe a couple improvements over the years as their control and power over their quirk increases. Minus of course people going through break downs due to events and changing as a person due to that.

Wouldn't surprise me if one of Class 1-A turns villainous for a while and
isn't the traitor.

Top Bottom