• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia S2 |OT| This is Going to Stain my Hero Record. No Manga Spoilers!!!

Pretty decent episode but I can't wait to see BAKUGOU KATSUKI: ORIGIN finally be animated. As a Bakugou fan I'm Super Hyped for it.
I'm probably going to draw some sketches of Bakugou and All Might before it airs.

Jintor

Only thing is I thought they added the smoke grenade so you'd see an outline of hagakure or something. Missed opportunity

caliph95

I laughed pretty hard at the Hakuna joke. Poor snipe sensei.

I wish midnight was a tad more professional. Lol.
giphy.gif

I think with that pervert Snipe and Midnight the school will have several lawsuits and scandals in the future

NSESN

he stinks. his gimmick was cute the first time I guess, but he shoulda been kicked down to B class during those first exams

There's no difference between classes A and B. In fact manga spoilers
The 3 best students are from class 3-B and were from class 1-B when they entered UA

Laiza

Mineta's motivation for becoming a hero alone is pretty pathetic and incel-y. Honestly, if this guy came to my rescue I'd do everything in my power to keep him at arm's length.

Sexual Harassment Hero ain't no hero of mine.

In contrast, Jirou remains the best part of the show for me. Too bad her screen time is so limited. She at least got a decent showing this time, I suppose. Also, goddamn, that looked painful. Her ears...

Meanwhile, poor Koda will be relegated to the same fate as Aquaman: a nobody sideshow who can be endearing on-screen but otherwise has few fans. At least he has a cute voice!

Speaking of 'nobody' characters - Sugarman strikes me as someone who could easily have been genderswapped to even out the gender ratio a bit. He's so uninteresting as it is that I actually forget he exists a lot of the time. Considering we have no direct physical combatant heroines in the class, it could've filled a hole. Ah, well. Just another missed opportunity.

Jintor

i was hoping they would expand on the jirou battle just with her blasting back stuff against present mic

one thing i thought was funny was when she fires back a cancel wave it just ruffles his hair a little. The effect on that was nice

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Does Hagakure have a special outfit that reacts to her invisibility (like Violet's in The Incredibles), with her gloves and shoes only acting as an indicator to her teammates where she is, or is she really walking around in the buff?

Frimaire

Does Hagakure have a special outfit that reacts to her invisibility (like Violet's in The Incredibles), with her gloves and shoes only acting as an indicator to her teammates where she is, or is she really walking around in the buff?

Pretty sure it's the latter.

NSESN

Mineta's motivation for becoming a hero alone is pretty pathetic and incel-y. Honestly, if this guy came to my rescue I'd do everything in my power to keep him at arm's length.

In contrast, Jirou remains the best part of the show for me. Too bad her screen time is so limited. She at least got a decent showing this time, I suppose. Also, goddamn, that looked painful. Her ears...

Meanwhile, poor Koda will be relegated to the same fate as Aquaman: a nobody sideshow who can be endearing on-screen but otherwise has few fans. At least he has a cute voice!

Speaking of 'nobody' characters - Sugarman strikes me as someone who could easily have been genderswapped to even out the gender ratio a bit. He's so uninteresting as it is that I actually forget he exists a lot of the time. Considering we have no direct physical combatant heroines in the class, it could've filled a hole. Ah, well. Just another missed opportunity.
I think you missed the point of Mineta's fight. He wanted to be cool to pick up girls, and he find heroes the coolest. But he realized that to be a hero you need to be a cool person to begin with. He even thought of Deku at the moment. I think it was good moment of growth for him and expands his character beyond being the pervy guy. The problem is that this moment isn't near enough to make him a decent character.

Koda is awesome! Waiting for his arc if he ever gets one!

And agree about sugar guy, his power is really uninteresting, the design is meh and yeah, could've made space for another female chara.

caliph95

Sugar is kinda made redundant by Kirishima (who is as well but at least collosus is in another class and it's a joke how similar they are) and Deku with both of them having more interesting powers.

NSESN

Satou actualy appears more than Hagakure (a genderbent character). In fact Horikoshi forgets to draw her all the time. I think almost all the scenes with her are anime original.

MilkBeard

Funnily enough, the thread some poster made whining about the main character got me into this show.

Enjoying it quite a bit, although there are some annoying tropes that aren't necessary.

However, that aside, this show makes me feel excited like a kid again. Can't wait to keep watching.

Lakuza

Funnily enough, the thread some poster made whining about the main character got me into this show.

Enjoying it quite a bit, although there are some annoying tropes that aren't necessary.

However, that aside, this show makes me feel excited like a kid again. Can't wait to keep watching.

I take it was the thread that complained about deku being an obnoxious dweeb?
Its a shame since he's really growing with the story, sure he'll cry every now and then when he's upset about something but I personally like that over someone who's a badass from episode 1.
I also haven't watched many anime where a character so young/inexperienced in combat is always analyzing his opponents and allies at every opportunity.

Laiza

I think you missed the point of Mineta's fight. He wanted to be cool to pick up girls, and he find heroes the coolest. But he realized that to be a hero you need to be a cool person to begin with. He even thought of Deku at the moment. I think it was good moment of growth for him and expands his character beyond being the pervy guy. The problem is that this moment isn't near enough to make him a decent character.
No, I understood the point well enough.

The fact is, that doesn't change his core motivation. I can't respect a "hero" whose sole motivation for "being cool" is to get close to hot women. As long as his motivation boils down to "I wanna smash" I'll continue to view him more as a potential threat than as a savior.

And it also really sucks because, frankly, I can see a number of heroes having a similar motivation to him in this incredibly sexist society we live in, so y'know, not something I want to be reminded of when I'm just trying to sit down and have fun watching some generic superhero shounen animu.
But if he became a female character, we'd see him even less!
He will have a different personality as well
I hate how true these statements are. :/

NSESN

No, I understood the point well enough.

The fact is, that doesn't change his core motivation. I can't respect a "hero" whose sole motivation for "being cool" is to get close to hot women. As long as his motivation boils down to "I wanna smash" I'll continue to view him more as a potential threat than as a savior.

And it also really sucks because, frankly, I can see a number of heroes having a similar motivation to him in this incredibly sexist society we live in, so y'know, not something I want to be reminded of when I'm just trying to sit down and have fun watching some generic superhero shounen animu.

I hate how true these statements are. :/
Maybe I am not getting it. He wants to be cool to pick girls, that's true, but he understood thathe first needs to be cool to become a hero. And in that part he undesrtood that he needed to be serious about the exam. I think it is a cool moment that shows that the series can make Mineta a likeable character if it wanted.

I'm not sure what's sexist about wanting to achieve something in order to get women, unless you resort to harassment along the way (which Mineta already has done though so yah).
It's a goal, as long as he saves folks what's the problem?
And it's not as though Mineta's some sociopath who won't care about saving people.

Laiza

Well, you guys must have far more faith in your fellow man to restrain themselves than I do.

I don't trust anyone in a position of power to not abuse that power when given sufficient motivation to do so. And something as base as sexual desire being that motivation makes anyone who subscribes to it extremely circumspect in my view.

It also doesn't help that it's a very narrow view of what women are like, which is itself a form of sexism. Being 'cool' is not, for example, suddenly going to make him physically attractive, which is a problem he has from the off. I know that sounds terrible, but that let's be honest - there's not many people who are going to be interested in him that way just because of that aspect of his character. Which, naturally, leads me to the understanding that he may, at some point, become desperate enough to pull some seriously questionable bullshit down the line.

So yeah, not giving him the benefit of the doubt. Doubly so for how he's been portrayed in the series thus far.

MilkBeard

I take it was the thread that complained about deku being an obnoxious dweeb?
Its a shame since he's really growing with the story, sure he'll cry every now and then when he's upset about something but I personally like that over someone who's a badass from episode 1.
I also haven't watched many anime where a character so young/inexperienced in combat is always analyzing his opponents and allies at every opportunity.
Yeah, it was that thread. I found my interests do not align with the op in that thread. I like Deku because he's the kind of character that can have a lot of room for character development. Badass characters are cool, but there is a place for them in stories, and it just depends on how the story is written. This story works well with Deku as the main character. And we all know he will become a badass eventually.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
The little perv character needs to go. It doesn't really matter his reasoning, he is a trash character at the core because of it.

NSESN

Well, you guys must have far more faith in your fellow man to restrain themselves than I do.

I don't trust anyone in a position of power to not abuse that power when given sufficient motivation to do so. And something as base as sexual desire being that motivation makes anyone who subscribes to it extremely circumspect in my view.

It also doesn't help that it's a very narrow view of what women are like, which is itself a form of sexism. Being 'cool' is not, for example, suddenly going to make him physically attractive, which is a problem he has from the off. I know that sounds terrible, but that let's be honest - there's not many people who are going to be interested in him that way just because of that aspect of his character. Which, naturally, leads me to the understanding that he may, at some point, become desperate enough to pull some seriously questionable bullshit down the line.

So yeah, not giving him the benefit of the doubt. Doubly so for how he's been portrayed in the series thus far.

Well that goes beyond what the manga is about.
And I also don't see how you come to this conclusion, but I don't how he would become desperate to do something questionable.

BADMAN

Over analysing Mineta's character is pointless. He's too absurd to apply his character to the world's actual rules. The character might as well not even exist in the story itself. He's a comic relief tool, albeit not a very good one, and that's all he is. Sure, he gets a few moments of humanization, but he's a joke character just like Aoyama or Hagakure. The only reason Mineta gets more screen time is because Horikoshi is a perv.

Would Mineta ever sexually assault someone he's saving from a life or death situation? No, because it's unlikely he'll ever get the chance in the series to do something actually meaningful.

Sou Da

The Present Mic scenes were damn good but also am I supposed to believe that Snipe was missing on purpose or somethin?

Edit: Switched to my phone and completely forgot I had a post here already.

Over analysing Mineta's character is pointless. He's too absurd to apply his character to the world's actual rules. The character might as well not even exist in the story itself. He's a comic relief tool, albeit not a very good one, and that's all he is. Sure, he gets a few moments of humanization, but he's a joke character just like Aoyama or Hagakure. The only reason Mineta gets more screen time is because Horikoshi is a perv.

Would Mineta ever sexually assault someone he's saving from a life or death situation? No, because it's unlikely he'll ever get the chance in the series to do something actually meaningful.

Aoyama absolutely isn't. Can say anything, though.

All the characters are full of surprises.

Jintor

The Present Mic scenes were damn good but also am I supposed to believe that Snipe was missing on purpose or somethin?

Considering his trick shots back at usj, he must not have been trying super hard

Ezalc

Considering the dude's name is Snipe, has a quirk that makes him super accurate, and isn't really looking to kill kids. I think we can safely assume that yes, he was missing on purpose. Giving them a bunch of warning shots showing that he knew where they were.

Going by that logic though, the kids could just try to say fuck it and bum rush him knowing he wouldn't kill them or seriously harm them, but I don't think it's exactly a smart thing to try.

Frimaire

I mean, there are a couple teachers that really can't do much against students.
Snipe can't just shoot students, so he can basically only fire warning shots.
I have no idea what Thirteen's plan was, considering they explicitly state "Hey, my quirk's really dangerous and can easily kill people if I'm not careful."
There's no middle ground between getting sucked into a black hole and not.
I guess All Might could also easily kill students, but at least he can like, pull his punches. You can't pull your bullets....

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Thirteen and Snipe likely were planning on doing a principle and going to let time ran out but stalling the students.

Top Bottom