• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PSN account was permanently banned for no apparent reason (100+ Games/DLC lost)

bootski

if this played out the way it's being described, it's distressing to say the least. i've avoided going digital with my ps3 for precisely this reason with the exception of a couple $1 games i picked up in a psn sale.

for some reason, i feel a lot more comfortable trusting my digital future with Valve than i would with Sony. hope it works out for you OP.

Cbajd5

Nah. You're just asking for trouble using a credit card or PayPal when gift cards, both digital and physical, are easily avalible.

That said Sony's policy on charge backs is atrocious. But its not different than any other service.

What we really need is a better charge back policy and two step authentication to make accounts more secure. And thats not just Sony.

Well it's not Valve's policy anymore with Steam and apparently it's not Nintendo's policy either.

Also, why are so many people blaming PayPal for this? He already was supposed to have already resolved that problem by following instructions given to him by Sony.

but yeah everyone needs two step authentication because it is literally the coolest thing ever if they do it like google

Caayn

I thought that Microsoft put a "cheater" label on your account if you cheated achievements etc...and basically it's pretty horrible but it's right, at least all people will know that person is a cheater.
If you cheat achievements your achievement score will be reset to zero, you'll be unable to earn those achievements again and you can't remove those games from your achievement history.

Ascenion

After reading the Lince thread, and the "I pirated 360 games and MS banned me" thread. I gotta say I'm slighty disappointed that this one seems to be on the up and up.

OT, good luck OP I think PayPal has screwed us all in one way or another. I love to use it, but never for important stuff.

Red_Kop

Neo Member
Enable password at checkout from PlayStation Store ?

The problem with this is if you are hacked (in whatever way), they already have your password.

This is really only useful to stop people making accidental purchases etc etc.

Instead of password at checkout...there should be a 'pin' or 'secondary password' at checkout. As well as this, which I think the poster was referring to...an option to confirm the purchase via email would be useful. Something along the lines of...'you have purchased xxxx from the PS store, click here and enter pin to confirm these purchases' etc etc.

Mithos

The problem with this is if you are hacked (in whatever way), they already have your password.

This is really only useful to stop people making accidental purchases etc etc.

Ah, I have never used it myself, I didn't know it was using the same password as your PSN account, so that kinda sucked then.

Instead of password at checkout...there should be a 'pin' or 'secondary password' at checkout. As well as this, which I think the poster was referring to...an option to confirm the purchase via email would be useful. Something along the lines of...'you have purchased xxxx from the PS store, click here and enter pin to confirm these purchases' etc etc.

Sony should add Google authenticator support to it, I use it for all places that supports it.

I had my old PSN account banned after asking for a refund when my son bought somethjng while the tv was off and he was just pushing buttons on the dual shock controller. If I knew that a $10 refund would get my account banned I would have just let it slide. Live and learn.

Edit: and you won't get anywhere with support. They just repeat the same script over and over even if you escalate up to a a manager.

They ban you for asking for a refund? What the fuck?

i-Jest

Moral of the story, don't use PayPal when it comes to digital gaming services. The charge back will screw you. I will learn from this.

OP, I'm sorry this had to happen to you. Customer Service needs to be revamped to handle these kinds of situations. I'm sure if enough attention is brought to this issue by gamers, changes will happen.

#PayMePal
#PayPalisNotMyPal
#ShittySonyCustomerService
#ChargeBackPermaban
#BadBusiness
#AllDigitalFutureSucks

Loomba

I was a victim of the Sony banhammer before. A Sony rep said my psn id was against their terms of service, and is what led to my ban. They acknowledged that I invested over a thousand dollars into my account, so they allowed me to change my psn id so I could keep my purchases. The problem with having your name changed though, is you lose all of your leaderboard stats in all of your games, trophies, and cloud saves etc. It was even more heartbreaking because I had over 18 levels in the LittleBigPlanet series that would all get deleted as well, one of my levels were "Team Picked" on top of that.

I was on the phone with a Sony representative the entire time, and he was trying to help me pick a new screen name, which is a HUGE pain in the ass, since every good name has been taken, and picking a name over the phone made me feel like I had to rush. I kept trying to pick a different screen name, including several that included my last name (which were also already taken) when the rep stopped me. "Hold on a second" he said. "I just checked your credit card you have on file and realized your last name is the same that your profile uses, I'll go ahead and reverse the ban we had in place, we apologize for the inconvenience." I was extremely happy to hear the good news, but it has definitely made me nervous about the "all digital" future we are living in. The fact that you can have a lifetime of purchases, game saves, achievements, stats and everything else vanish with a push of a button scares the hell out of me.

What's your surname? Hyman?

I don't think anybody wants a digital only console market. Digital just doesn't mesh with the walled garden approach, at least for consumers. It's the perfect storm of anti-consumer practices.

Exactly right. But, its scary how many gamers slobbering for all digital simply dont understanf this. Frankly, Im still amazed that enough gamers "got it" and raised their voices to force MS to bscktrack on their launch plans.

Moral of the story, don't use PayPal when it comes to digital gaming services. The charge back will screw you. I will learn from this.

OP, I'm sorry this had to happen to you. Customer Service needs to be revamped to handle these kinds of situations. I'm sure if enough attention is brought to this issue by gamers, changes will happen.

#PayMePal
#PayPalisNotMyPal
#ShittySonyCustomerService
#ChargeBackPermaban
#BadBusiness
#AllDigitalFutureSucks

Ive had Paypal attached to my Steam and XBL accounts for quite a while without any trouble. But reading about all this has me thinking about switching to prepaid gift cards for future purchases. PP sucks a bag of dicks for plenty of other reasons so its not like Ill shed a tear for not using them.

What Im not quite clear on is why would PP suddenly do a chargeback on an account that had previously conducted business with Sony? Unless in the OP's case it was his first purchase or maybe he made the purchase on his PC while using a VPN and the location difference tripped the security chargeback?

DC1

For those that might have missed this very important piece of information from the OP, please see below.

"I used the PayPal option to buy a $50 card, but PayPal thought it was an unusual purchase from me, suspected it was fraud, and reversed the charge."

Yeah, that would do it.

The OP needs to continue to call with a respectful request for appeal, mediation or escalation.

He should assume that the ban was caused by his admitted PayPal reversals.
Did he call Sony to make this right?
Is the OP confident that Sony knows or understands that he would like to reconcile any discrepancies that may have been overlooked?

Lastly, judgment is a mother and facts are important..... we don't have all of the facts.

Enable password at checkout from PlayStation Store ?

As others have pointed out, this really doesn't help if your account is compromised. I for one, am a fan of the authentication system that Google, Steam and Facebook have. Anytime you log in, you have to input a code from your email or SMS. I don't think it should be required, but it'd be a nice option.

The supervisor repeatedly told me that they don't have any other information as to why my account was banned other than Violation of the TOS. They told me accounting only sends them this information and that's all the information they have to provide. Customer Service is a dead end.

Sorry if this has been said, but it would be a reasonable request to ask for the contact details of "accounting" if this is what they're trying to fob you off with.

vg260

Everyone needs to stop using PayPal. They are the absolute worst. It's not worth the risk for convenience.

This is a reminder to not use PayPal on digital services. Buy prepaid cards even if it's an extra step.

Kssio_Aug

Thats what worries me the most on a Playstation system. Its really stupid how you dont have freedom to change your region, and if you move out or anything you just have to create a brand new account (and Vita doesnt even recognise multiple accounts). Thats just super stupid!!

i-Jest

Ive had Paypal attached to my Steam and XBL accounts for quite a while without any trouble. But reading about all this has me thinking about switching to prepaid gift cards for future purchases. PP sucks a bag of dicks for plenty of other reasons so its not like Ill shed a tear for not using them.

What Im not quite clear on is why would PP suddenly do a chargeback on an account that had previously conducted business with Sony? Unless in the OP's case it was his first purchase or maybe he made the purchase on his PC while using a VPN and the location difference tripped the security chargeback?

We may never truly know. However, using prepaid is by no means a deal breaker. In light of OP's event, it's a safer option. It maybe less convenient compared to PP or credit cards though.

Cudder

I was a victim of the Sony banhammer before. A Sony rep said my psn id was against their terms of service, and is what led to my ban. They acknowledged that I invested over a thousand dollars into my account, so they allowed me to change my psn id so I could keep my purchases. The problem with having your name changed though, is you lose all of your leaderboard stats in all of your games, trophies, and cloud saves etc. It was even more heartbreaking because I had over 18 levels in the LittleBigPlanet series that would all get deleted as well, one of my levels were "Team Picked" on top of that.

I was on the phone with a Sony representative the entire time, and he was trying to help me pick a new screen name, which is a HUGE pain in the ass, since every good name has been taken, and picking a name over the phone made me feel like I had to rush. I kept trying to pick a different screen name, including several that included my last name (which were also already taken) when the rep stopped me. "Hold on a second" he said. "I just checked your credit card you have on file and realized your last name is the same that your profile uses, I'll go ahead and reverse the ban we had in place, we apologize for the inconvenience." I was extremely happy to hear the good news, but it has definitely made me nervous about the "all digital" future we are living in. The fact that you can have a lifetime of purchases, game saves, achievements, stats and everything else vanish with a push of a button scares the hell out of me.

So it is possible..

Mithos

As others have pointed out, this really doesn't help if your account is compromised. I for one, am a fan of the authentication system that Google, Steam and Facebook have. Anytime you log in, you have to input a code from your email or SMS. I don't think it should be required, but it'd be a nice option.

Ah, I have never used it myself, I didn't know it was using the same password as your PSN account, so that kinda sucked then.

Sony should add Google authenticator support to it, I use it for all places that supports it.

What I said to them.

How is it that a Sony ban involves cutting you off from all your games?

Is it the same on the other consoles?

Sony should really answer for this policy. I can see banning people from interacting online but to take away usage of games you paid for should be called out....loudly.

spwolf

For those that might have missed this very important piece of information from the OP, please see below.

The OP needs to continue to call with a respectful request for appeal, mediation or escalation.

Did he call Sony to make this right?
Is the OP confident that Sony knows or understands that he would like to reconcile any discrepancies that may have been overlooked?

Lastly, judgment is a mother and facts are important..... we don't have all of the facts.

If it was indeed a chargeback, Paypal does take up to $20 from the seller...

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Chargebacks are the easiest way to lose access to any digital account/service you use. Sounds like PayPal screwed you.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Chargebacks are the easiest way to lose access to any digital account/service you use. Sounds like PayPal screwed you.

this.

paypal is notorious for making such decisions and not giving a fuck about the consequence to the user.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sorry man, that sucks. And yeah, I bet it's related to the PayPal issue. I will never use that service if I have a choice, I always pay directly with my VISA debit card on PSN.

Mithos

Sorry man, that sucks. And yeah, I bet it's related to the PayPal issue. I will never use that service if I have a choice, I always pay directly with my VISA debit card on PSN.

Sony don't even allow me to add my VISA debit card to my account, so I'm stuck to getting PSN cards, have not tried to add my VISA through the webpages though.

Kiote

Honestly, you should just keep calling Customer Service until someone helps you. It's a pain in the ass, but that's the solution. Eventually you will get an unjaded CS worker and they will help you fix the problem.

TheJLC

Sony don't even allow me to add my VISA debit card to my account, so I'm stuck to getting PSN cards, have not tried to add my VISA through the webpages though.

It accepted mine, when I used to have one. Took a while to accept it because apparently my information has to match the bank's information perfectly. Any period, space, or abbreviation and it doesn't get accepted.

baconcow

Why? It's great and handy if handled correctly, just quit using Paypal.

Didn't sound like it was mishandled at the users end, apart from any issues arising from geographical location. Saying to quit using one of Sony's offered payment types doesn't sound the like the answer to this issue.

Uh, he doesn't need to continue to call with a respectful request for appeal, mediation or escalation. Customer's have every right to be frustrated, it's Sony Customer Service's job to align with the customer then Sony needs to tell their customer why their account was banned, assume positive intent, and look for an answer to resolve this issue and satisfy the customer. If that CS rep cannot do it, they need to offer an escalation or forward to a higher tier of support to help the customer. If in fact they cannot reactivate the account, they need to give a clear reason why they are unable to lift the ban. This should all be done with empathy on top of it.

I promise you this is world class customer service 101.

Did he call Sony to make this right? / Is the OP confident that Sony knows or understands that he would like to reconcile any discrepancies that may have been overlooked?
What are you even implying here?
Lastly, judgment is a mother and facts are important..... we don't have all of the facts
They won't give him the facts, it's "not their policy" to reveal the facts of revoking access to a customer's account.

Wazzy

Banned
Yup keep hounding them. They have no grounds to suspend your account and customer service should be resolving this. There's no reason they should be saying there's nothing they can do about it.

DC1

Uh, he doesn't need to continue to call with a respectful request for appeal, mediation or escalation. Customer's have every right to be frustrated, it's Sony Customer Service's job to align with the customer then Sony needs to tell their customer why their account was banned, assume positive intent, and look for an answer to resolve this issue and satisfy the customer. If that CS rep cannot do it, they need to offer an escalation or forward to a higher tier of support to help the customer. If in fact they cannot reactivate the account, they need to give a clear reason why they are unable to lift the ban. This should all be done with empathy on top of it.

I promise you this is world class customer service 101.

What are you even implying here?

They won't give him the facts, it's "not their policy" to reveal the facts of revoking access to a customer's account.

Are you proposing that it's more productive for him to scream for immediate satisfaction and the first motherfu##er that answers the phone should escalate him a more important sumofabitch?

Are proposing that it's more productive for him to scream for immediate satisfaction and the first motherfu##er that answers the phone should escalate him a more important sumofabitch?
I'm not remotely saying he should be an asshole, I'm saying your post reads like he should bow to every whim and beg and plead they see the error of his ways. Customer's shouldn't fear customer service.

The best thing about this is I'm speaking from a Customer Service side wishing that all companies would treat their customer's with respect. I'd absolutely love if 100% of customer's didn't come in yelling and screaming for everything, but when it happens I expect to have to do exactly what I said in my last post.

Loakum

Banned
The one thing I learned reading this thread is to stay the hell away from Paypal, when it comes to PSN (SEN) purchases.

Jedi2016

...the first motherfu##er that answers the phone should escalate him a more important sumofabitch?
Well, the first motherfucker that answers the phone is not in any position to help him, so... yes. Asking for escalation given unusual circumstances does not equate to being an asshole.

<---- 15 years in call centers.

DC1

I'm not remotely saying he should be an asshole, I'm saying your post reads like he should bow to every whim and beg and plead they see the error of his ways. Customer's shouldn't fear customer service.

Fear enough.
However my post doesn't suggest that.
The OP is not in a position of strength here. He/she needs to understand that there may have been activities associated with his account that are fraudulent.

And
As true as the sun is bright, the OP (in his position) will get far more accomplished from being a persistent, yet cooperative customers than a butt hole.
His alternative is litigation and I'm not sure he is in a position to go that route, expecially if he is culpable.

DC1

Well, the first motherfucker that answers the phone is not in any position to help him, so... yes. Asking for escalation given unusual circumstances does not equate to being an asshole.

<---- 15 years in call centers.

I agree.. you didn't contradict my first statement.

<---- 4 years in health care appeals (although many many years ago)

Small world! :)

Love me some some Gaf!!

Top Bottom