• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: On April 14th, We've Got Movie Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
"Thing needs to be exactly like it was during the very specific time I was introduced to it or you can go straight to hell."

Don't forget the t-shirt, coffee mug, stickers, postcards and keychain

It's actually not bad if you look at it as $5 an episode and $40 for a bunch of swag provided they make 12 of them. It's a better deal than Lootcrate, I guess.

I don't want swag. Swag is junk that clutters up my house until I throw it away (and feel bad for contributing to a landfill). I want the damn episodes for less than a Franklin.

Sanjuro

A hundred bucks just to own digital copies of the 3-12 episodes they're making? Am I reading that right? What is it with these kickstarters and massively overpricing a basic copy of the product? First Dragon's Lair and now this.

Huh. I was about to believe you, then I decided to use my eyes and see just what $100 gets you for this campaign.

• All of the 3-12 episodes DRM free in HD
  • MST3K Info Club card
  • Access to the live-streaming premiere w/Joel
  • MST3K wallpapers and ringtones
  • Thank you message on Twitter
  • MST3K Set of Postcards
  • MST3K T-Shirt
  • MST3K Stickers
  • MST3K Coffee Mug
  • MST3K Keychain
Considering how much the old merchandise cost back in the day, this is a great deal!

I don't want swag. Swag is junk that clutters up my house until I throw it away (and feel bad for contributing to a landfill). I want the damn episodes for less than a Franklin.

Oh, then don't support them and purchase the episodes if they happen to raise enough money. Simple as that.

BigDug13

"Thing needs to be exactly like it was during the very specific time I was introduced to it or you can go straight to hell."

When you're talking about an era where shit is funded by consumers BEFORE it even makes it to air because of Kickstarter, people are of course going to be apprehensive. Its success or failure is a risk no longer taken by a studio but a risk taken by individual donors.

Scrutiny IS called for here.

All music from after I was twelve is really awful when is anybody going to do anything that great again

image.php

xsarien

daedsiluap
A hundred bucks just to own digital copies of the 3-12 episodes they're making? Am I reading that right? What is it with these kickstarters and massively overpricing a basic copy of the product? First Dragon's Lair and now this.

It's a Kickstarter. You're actively helping fund the overall production of these episodes, not just buying them.

morningbus

When you're talking about an era where shit is funded by consumers BEFORE it even makes it to air because of Kickstarter, people are of course going to be apprehensive. Its success or failure is a risk no longer taken by a studio but a risk taken by individual donors.

Scrutiny IS called for here.
For better or for worse, you're backing Joel with this project. That may not be enough for some people and I even guarantee you that the new episodes won't be what some people want, but it's enough for me.

I'd back Joel's kickstarter to bring back TV Wheel, for god's sake.

Enk

makes good threads.
Finally happy to see the rights have been sorted out and Joel attempting a revival, but there's still a lot of blanks missing with this that needs to be filled before I start getting all giddy. With Rifftrax now releasing MST3K episodes I'm sure they'll be involved in some compactly, especially considering how much more successful Mike, Kevin, and Bill's spiritual successor has been compared to Cinematic Titanic.

I get it, but cast changes are a part of MST3K.

Yes, but there was usually an old cast member or two around to help ease us into the change. A complete change will make it feel like someone else parading around in MST3K's skin.

Obviously Joel is behind this and I really think he should start off as host again. Simply saying Joel is back on the Satellite of Love would be enough to get most people on board. Also he is in still good connections with Trace so I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to get him back as Crow for a bit.

Draft

I'm not clear on whether kickstarter rewards are early access/DRM free HD downloads, or if we are actually buying access period. Based on the pricing I kind of feel like the episodes go up on Youtube, Netflix, and the rest, but backers get better quality, copies to download, and maybe get to see the content before non-backers.

I'm not necessarily adverse to a new cast but the host and general dynamic will make or break it for me. It's hard to get excited for this blind.

Huh. I was about to believe you, then I decided to use my eyes and see just what $100 gets you for this campaign.

• All of the 3-12 episodes DRM free in HD
  • MST3K Info Club card
  • Access to the live-streaming premiere w/Joel
  • MST3K wallpapers and ringtones
  • Thank you message on Twitter
  • MST3K Set of Postcards
  • MST3K T-Shirt
  • MST3K Stickers
  • MST3K Coffee Mug
  • MST3K Keychain
Considering how much the old merchandise cost back in the day, this is a great deal!

You get a ton of other stuff other than the episodes.

To clarify, when I said "a hundred bucks just to own digital copies," I didn't mean "just" in the sense that all you get is the digital copies. I mean "just" the way you might say "I had to climb a tree just to see where the trail was." The point isn't that the only benefit of climbing the tree was to see where the trail was (you also got exercise and perhaps enjoyment out of climbing the tree). The point is that you had to climb all the way to the top of the tree before you could see the trail. And you have to fork over $100 before they'll actually give you copies of the product you're here to support.

Oh, then don't support them and purchase the episodes if they happen to raise enough money. Simple as that.

Well yes, you're right, it is.

BigDug13

Each episode is an entire 1.5 hour movie correct? Currently Rifftrax B Movies are $9.99 an episode for about 1.5 hours of movie video and audio. That equates to 10 episodes for $100. MST3K DVD's are usually 2 episodes for $20.

If you're getting something close to 10 episodes of MST3K for $100, it seems justified based on historical pricing of similar items. If it is indeed some small number like 3-7 episodes however, your complaint is justified.

Sanjuro

To clarify, when I said "a hundred bucks just to own digital copies," I didn't mean "just" in the sense that all you get is the digital copies. I mean "just" the way you might say "I had to climb a tree just to see where the trail was." The point isn't that the only benefit of climbing the tree was to see where the trail was (you also got exercise and perhaps enjoyment out of climbing the tree). The point is that you had to climb all the way to the top of the tree before you could see the trail. And you have to fork over $100 before they'll actually give you copies of the product you're here to support.

Well yes, you're right, it is.

No. Actually, you can fork over whatever you can spare. You are assigning value to something which is right now undefined.

If everything goes the way we assume, you are spending less than $10 for twelve feature length films. That would be the best guess in value if you are still confused.

I got into MST3K during the MKB era, and I was pretty adverse to the Joel episodes for a really long time. In recent years though, I've come to embrace Joel and Trace, and even Josh. While it'd obviously be great if MKB were a part of this, it certainly isn't a dealbreaker for me. I trust Joel to make the right decisions. More MST3K can only be a good thing.

Tobor

This sucks. I've never been so happy and sad about the same thing simultaneously.

Hopefully Joel gets feedback and brings back at least some of the original cast.

opoth

Banned
They will make the target - and fast at that :) I can see it hitting the 12 episode tier at the end.

I'm cautiously optimistic about it, Kickstarters always seem to start off well and sputter out quickly and then pick up a bit in the end. I hope his Turkey Day presentation this year gives it a nice shot in the arm midway to the deadline.

Looking at this, sounds like the rifftrax crew has nothing to do with it.

It's not MST3K without them.

My thoughts exactly. Nelson was head writer for most of the show's run (and I grew to like his "whipping boy" character over Joel's father figure character...not that I didn't also love Joel), Murphy is Tom Servo, and Corbett's acerbic Crow has really grown on me over the years, to the point that the original seems kind of lame in comparison.

If the Rifftrax crew aren't involved in at least writing some jokes, I'm out. Without them, it's just Cinematic Titanic with puppets (and god knows who in front of the camera), which doesn't interest me.

God fucking damn it, I was hoping that was just a placeholder type deal and they'd have the actual cast introduced later. Those voices sucked.

Rymuth

=o

No mention of Trace? I love Joel but it was Trace and especially Kevin who sold MST3K for me.

I'll see about funding this when I get some money on hand.

I don't even know if they were approached, but I can't blame the Rifftrax guys for not wanting to jump into this with both feet. They have spent years building up their own brand. It'd be a big risk to set it aside and commit themselves fully to this.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member

Because the nature of kickstarter isn't supposed to be "pre order" -- it's supposed to give them money to fund it, while you get "rewards" for doing it.

You're paying for it to make a comeback, not to get them. I'm sure they'll be for sale for a reasonable price once they're released.

And #BringBackMST3K just passed the RiffTrax month-long campaign record of $265,011 in just under 3 hours. Apples and oranges, but still.

I backed $300. New host and new writing staff is peachy with me, since Joel is going to be there too. His hopes is to ultimately see the show go another 100 episodes, so refreshing the team strikes me as a good idea. The jokes were always very current, and there's a lot of talent out there... and we know Joel understands what to look for in writing talent.

After all, he assembled the original writing team from talented locals. With the internet, I'm sure his reach, and the available talent, will be even wider.

Skeletron

Last I checked Mike and the robots were doing Rifftrax and Joel and the others were doing Cinematic Titanic. Are they getting together for this?

Tobor

Actually I misread the tweet. Neither Trace or Frank are involved.

I hope this turns out great. I'll be happy to buy the episodes if they do.

That said, I can't back this in advance with this many unknowns.

Last I checked Mike and the robots were doing Rifftrax and Joel and the others were doing Cinematic Titanic. Are they getting together for this?

Well technically the "robots" were with Cinematic Titanic too, as the original Servo and Crow were on CT, though Kevin Murphy is probably the definitive Servo for a lot of folks and he was with Rifftrax. Bill Corbett only voiced Crow for 2 seasons, Trace had done the voice of Crow for most of the run.

bengraven

That sounds like Jonah Ray as the "host" in the intro video. I'm actually almost 100% sure it's him.

I would be okay with this.

HOLY shit, yes, and get Matt Mira to do one of the robot voices...and hell, bring in what's his fucking face, because kids love him and he's done voices in the past and we need more support through his massive Nerd network.

morningbus

I feel like Jeff Ross would be a good host
Someone in the MST3K thread suggested Jon Benjamin, which would have been amazing in a way very different from Joel or Mike.

But Jonah Ray, if it is him, I think is actually a pretty good choice as a continuation of that same style of host.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom