• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

N.C. Court Blocks Attempt By State Lawmakers To Limit Incoming Governor's Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...hare&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

A three-judge panel in North Carolina has issued a temporary restraining order blocking a law that strips the state's new governor of some powers.

The law was signed by outgoing Republican Gov. Pat McCrory and requires state Senate approval for Cabinet nominees of the new Democratic administration, something that was not required for McCrory's own nominees.

The Republican-controlled state Legislature passed the measure after McCrory lost November's election to Democrat Roy Cooper. Democrats called it a "power grab."

Republicans still hold large majorities in both chambers of the Legislature.

On Wednesday, the court issued a temporary restraining order until a hearing on Friday, effectively blocking Senate confirmation hearings until the end of the week.

bonus quote:
Republican leaders called the ruling a blatant overstep,

the gall of these people.

searched, claim i blatantly overstepped if old.

hR5dPjNAQMfx.gif

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Judicial branch for the win.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Great! All the wins in court are coming in today.

Just wow! What a day!

this was actually yesterday, which is why i was surprised i couldnt find a thread. I searched 3 times.

Two mis-steps out of the hundred other ways they're killing this country isn't worth celebrating IMO.

thats some nice defeatist attitude you got there. Care to share some with the rest of us?

theWB27

Two mis-steps out of the hundred other ways they're killing this country isn't worth celebrating IMO.

Then how do start a comeback if not with small victories?

Football= one play at a time
Bball= one possession at a time

See where I'm going?

Wish that someone would do the same towards Trump right now, because he & his administration is getting away with almost everything, & there's no one to keep them in check.

Mathieran

Banned
NCGOP is brazenly evil so I'm not surprised at their response. I really love living in the triangle and at least we can shield ourselves from some of their shittiness, but it really is disheartening to live in the state of one of the shittiest republican parties this country has to offer. And that's saying a lot.

Ponn

Banned
Is this our judicial branch?

1OzHvuO.jpg

Oh god I can't wait for FFXII HD.

On topic I have no idea whats going on in NC and how they are getting away with so much shit. It's about time someone finally steps into do something. The people their voting just give no fucks, even the threats of losing so much money and putting their economy under didn't help them purge all the shitheads out of power.

BlackJet

What the hell does legislate from the bench mean?

Nice try assholes, but your dumb actions are hurting the people of the state.

Praise the Sun. I had been wondering about this since I heard of it.

It's the damned transparency and attitude that pisses me off the most.

Savitar

Nice to hear some good news.

Though can't help but wonder what Trump and co will do, for some reason not sure they'll take the judges not bending over lightly. You know how they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom