• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

N64 on MiSTer FPGA got massive improvements today including a totally playable Ocarina of Time. It's close to a real N64 in a lot of games

VGEsoterica

I still remember in the 90s when I got Ocarina of Time for Christmas. Seeing that game running on my tv as a kid felt like nothing short of magic. And those moments are hard to recapture. But today FPGAZumSpass updated the WIP build for N64 in FPGA and now the Master Quest version of Ocarina of Time is playable with saves. Along with DOZENS of other games that are working extremely well including F-Zero, Super Smash Bros, Super Mario 64, Sin and Punishment, Pokemon Snap and a TON more!

It really feels like the days of the OG Nintendo 64 emulators where they went from barely running anything to suddenly being viable alternatives to the real hardware. This N64 FPGA implementation has gone from "hello world" demos to playing a large majority of the retail library in about six weeks. The speed has been absolutely staggering any anyone who has a MiSTer should 100% check it out

So who's playing N64 in FPGA Gaf? I know some of you out there have MiSTers

The massive paint strokes he's taking on a daily basis are really impressive. I agree with your comment in the video that development will probably slow down later on when the big ticket items are out of the way and Robert starts diving into whatever bugs get flagged that may only impact a game or two. Still, pretty crazy the progress that's been made in such a short time for a core that was almost universally accepted as being impossible for MiSTer a year ago. He must be really talented.

I feel like VGEsoterica VGEsoterica and Robert are locked in a never-ending battle of writing code super fast and releasing a video about the code updates super fast, it's like a retro gaming baton race.

But dude, come on, stop playing lame 1980's non-jamma board games nobody has heard of and get some Blastcorps/Blastdozer N64 core action, I thought you were a cool guy when you had all the Waverace 64 music playing, but the lack of Blastcorps is making me doubt how cool you actually are!
just kidding, but seriously, your N64 game taste is questionable, I thought Bomberman was generally agreed to be trash on the machine!

In terms of what's left on the core, TLB would be quick to implement and get a dozen or so games working, so my theory is Robert is intentionally leaving it until last so GoldenEye springs to life with the 1.0 release, which judging by the speed this guy works will probably be in a few weeks.

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

I feel like VGEsoterica VGEsoterica and Robert are locked in a never-ending battle of writing code super fast and releasing a video about the code updates super fast, it's like a retro gaming baton race.

But dude, come on, stop playing lame 1980's non-jamma board games nobody has heard of and get some Blastcorps/Blastdozer N64 core action, I thought you were a cool guy when you had all the Waverace 64 music playing, but the lack of Blastcorps is making me doubt how cool you actually are!
just kidding, but seriously, your N64 game taste is questionable, I thought Bomberman was generally agreed to be trash on the machine!

In terms of what's left on the core, TLB would be quick to implement and get a dozen or so games working, so my theory is Robert is intentionally leaving it until last so GoldenEye springs to life with the 1.0 release, which judging by the speed this guy works will probably be in a few weeks.
Bomberman Hero is GOAT! I said what I said.

And yes keeping up with the releases is a ton of fun. Keeps me occupied while there are dual strikes on in my industry / production in general is horrible due to the economy.

Feast or famine in filmmaking

Top Bottom