• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nanostray DS new trailer

Ironclad

The game is looking great. Music is alright, nothing special there though. July 19? Just around the corner then. I'll be picking this up.

How come you doucheclowns weren't shitting your capri pants for Iridion 2, another second-tier Euro shooter by the same company? Heck, it puts graphics over any nuance as a shooter, as well! Same lame bosses, same simple bullet patterns, same unbalanced weapons, same clumsy mechanics!

A few visual nods to Radiant Silvergun doesn't put it any where near the same class.

WAIT -- Iridion 2 wasn't a title for a content-starved platform! Silly me; I always forget about First Year Syndrome, where people get hyped for shit that wouldn't fly in an established system's library, like Luigi's Mansion and Silpheed. Whoops!

it looks good. I dont know who was bashing this but you're stupid.

EDIT: I dont really care for the graphics, there are very obvious and interesting gameplay mechanics that can be observed.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I still play Iridion II all the time. Nice try. :)

Fuck, I even imported the soundtrack from Shin'en directly from Germany.

Edit - Also, as awesome as Iridion II was, it was a sequel to one of the most unfortunate shooters ever created... Iridion 3D sucked to hell and back.

olimario

Banned
Oh, Drinky... You always find a way to downplay an interesting title.
And since when do we judge a game by its predecessors?

Ironclad

Iridion II was cool. Played it a lot when it came out and quite a time later. Haven't played it a while though. Well, I have an excuse now.

Drinky logic: "Do you own said console and said game? If not your opinion is worthless and you should shut the fuck up right now before I wet my pants and lock this thread."

olimario

Banned
MrAngryFace said:
Oh olimario, you always find a way to sound like a fucking idiot.

Judging a game on its own merits should be common sense. UNLESS THE GAME IS ON THE DS!

I have a PS2. I'll pick up Gradius V since I have some money to blow. As a rule I love shooters.

Drinky trolling another DS game thread? GASP! What a surprise. His memory must be failing him because I recall quite a few threads here discussing Iridion II around its release date. I actually found out about the title from GAF, so as mentioned above, nice try.

olimario, common sense says a European developer with a pattern of aping better shooters with mediocre results will turn out more of the same.

Speevy

Banned
I wish I cared more about shooters. The truth is that I'm not very good at them, regardless of platform.

olimario

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
olimario, common sense says a European developer with a pattern of aping better shooters with mediocre results will turn out more of the same.

Nobody knows how much they've improved since their decent showing with Iridion II. They made a nice leap there from the first Iridion and Nanostray seems to be getting more positive impressions than their previous titles.

We'll see. I'm hoping for an all around solid shooter this time.

Drinky Crow said:

If it comes from Europe, it's BADD!! I mean Europe doesn't include 30 something countries filled with vastly different cultures and people, like NORTH AMERICA. Or is that the other way around??

If it's a shooter and it ain't made by Cave, Psikyo, Raizing, Taito, IREM, or Treasure, my faith in it being anything better than mediocre is NIL.

Unison

That trailer makes the game look pretty awesome...

I'm not expecting Gradius V, but I did like Iridion 2 well enough, so this is probably a game I'll end up buying.

Taichu

Same old trolls in every DS thread. Will you guys still be doing this 2 years down the road? If so... that's pretty sad.

Edit: Trailer is pretty cool!

Nintendo is actually doing pretty good. You pals should know since I'm assuming drinky was responsible for locking the DS sales thread. Maybe not, maybe you missed it. Apparently the DS is outselling even the PS2 in Japan these days. Incredible!

Ironclad

Drinky Crow said:
If it's a shooter and it ain't made by Cave, Psikyo, Raizing, Taito, IREM, or Treasure, my faith in it being anything better than mediocre is NIL.
Even though I can understand your reasoning here, and I pretty much agree, I enjoyed Iridion II and as long as they improved on that in anyway, I am sure I will enjoy Nanostray. I'm not necessarilly saying that it's going to be brilliant, but enjoyable nonetheless.

ziran

looks very good.

european developers can create great shooters, hybris is a testament to this; i think i will enjoy nanostray.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Since graphics are not longer an issue, sound is going to be the major selling point for NDS games who game play impresses me. The sound in this game seems ok, far better than the audible rape in Tak.

I do not see how gamers who stood by the graphically inferior consoles of last gen and this gen can openly mock graphics in the DS. Sure the PSP produces amazing visuals, but how can one champion it's visuals when PSx and PS2 were so graphically inferior.
Maybe all those years of having the bar set low on them has finally made them go crazy..

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
The music for this game sounds pretty well composed with catchy tunes and soundtracks are very important in any vertical shooters. The game looks fantastic in its native screen resolution and I see they fixed the animation to not be as jerky as it used to be. I can't wait to see what IGN and Gamespot give it because this may end up on my DS buy list when I get one later this year along with Castlevania, Sonic Rush, Advance Wars, Jump Superstars and Kirby.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
ziran said:
looks very good.

european developers can create great shooters, hybris is a testament to this; i think i will enjoy nanostray.

Agreed, Europe can indeed produce fine shooters. I especially liked X-out and Z-out back during the c64/amiga days (think they were developed in Europe anyway). X2 was also cool.

Anyway, I can understand judging a developer on its past efforts, but judging a whole continent just like that is a bit over the top. :p

jarrod

Banned
Looks/sounds pretty good. Iridion II was okay, but it was a gigantic fucking leap over Iridion 3D... hopefully we see as dramatic a refinement here.

Looks lightyears better than the Hudson/X-Nauts shareware-esque PSP shooters however. Funny that DS would have the best looking handheld shooter yet.

Agent X

The newest trailer looks quite nice. I was a big fan of Iridion II for the Game Boy Advance, so I'd like to try this one, too.

Drinky Crow said:
How come you doucheclowns weren't shitting your capri pants for Iridion 2, another second-tier Euro shooter by the same company? Heck, it puts graphics over any nuance as a shooter, as well! Same lame bosses, same simple bullet patterns, same unbalanced weapons, same clumsy mechanics!

A few visual nods to Radiant Silvergun doesn't put it any where near the same class.

WAIT -- Iridion 2 wasn't a title for a content-starved platform! Silly me; I always forget about First Year Syndrome, where people get hyped for shit that wouldn't fly in an established system's library, like Luigi's Mansion and Silpheed. Whoops!
Sooo.... you are saying this game must be put on PSP because that system also has nice graphics and no gameplay?

I thought you always said that the DS cannot show good graphics?! :)

Juice

Society said:
I do not see how gamers who stood by the graphically inferior consoles of last gen and this gen can openly mock graphics in the DS. Sure the PSP produces amazing visuals, but how can one champion it's visuals when PSx and PS2 were so graphically inferior.
Maybe all those years of having the bar set low on them has finally made them go crazy..

It's good to be on the winning team.

Hah, that's a great point. I hadn't thought of that before. Drinky, response?

Varian

Had Shin'en used the dual screens for a proper vert shooter it'd be a must-buy. As it stands now it's a tech demo for their middleware. The touch screen controls look ridiculous.

Varian said:
Had Shin'en used the dual screens for a proper vert shooter it'd be a must-buy. As it stands now it's a tech demo for their middleware. The touch screen controls look ridiculous.

what touch screen controls?... isn't it just a weapons switch? That'll probably be attributed to buttons as well (like the Nitros in NFSU). Other than that it's just a screen for radar and scores.

The game is looking great. I hope it plays as good as it looks.

shuri

Banned
The music is awesome, but the gameplay itself from that video and other videos I saw looks pretty pedestriant. The bullets patterns look :|. At least the music is awesome! If there's a thing that euro devs are awesome for, its certainly the chip tune music

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Society said:
Since graphics are not longer an issue, sound is going to be the major selling point for NDS games who game play impresses me. The sound in this game seems ok, far better than the audible rape in Tak.

Whoa whoa whoa, hold your horses there...

The difference between PS2, XBOX, and GC is simply not that large. You'll often see games on all three platforms, and the differences between them usually come in the form of image quality and additional slowdown. When each is at the top of their game, they've also proven that they can do some things that the others struggle with. All three clearly belong in the same generation. I supported PS2, but that was for its original content (where it often did very well). When it came to multiplatform stuff, I always chose the best version (usually the XBOX version).

The DS is a much different case. The hardware is substantially weaker than the PSP. The difference between the two is similar to N64 vs the DC. You can't possibly believe that the difference between DS and PSP is the same as the difference between PS2 and XBOX...can you?

Varian

radioheadrule83 said:
what touch screen controls?... isn't it just a weapons switch? That'll probably be attributed to buttons as well (like the Nitros in NFSU). Other than that it's just a screen for radar and scores.

The game is looking great. I hope it plays as good as it looks.
Dude, I think that counts as controls. And it's an idiotic use of the touchscreen.

Ruzbeh

Banned
Varian said:
Dude, I think that counts as controls. And it's an idiotic use of the touchscreen.
Nope. You can use the second screen as a radar and scan for enemies. Also, there are a few buttons so you can switch some stuff. It's not the most awesome use of the touchscreen but it definately is not idiotic.

StRaNgE

Banned
Fuckin cool!! it is IKARUGA in portable form!!!

did Ikaruga have another name that you all are referring to up top?

some of the same exact scenes are in the cube version but different colors seem to be in this. is this a straight port or does it just borrow some of the ships and backgrounds and animations from it's gamecube version?

Flakster99

Thanks for the trailer, that was impressive stuff! Thus far, the sound, graphics, and game play look very good. :)

I never played Iridion II, I had the first one and thought it was kind of bleh. That said, Nanostray looks pretty effin' good and I thought Iridion II reviewed pretty good so I used Gamerankings and looked it up...

Iridion II
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/915030.asp

Ikaruga
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/914452.asp

Gradius V
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/589460.asp?q=Gradius V

(blahblahblah, I know, not statistically valid blablah)

Nanostray looks awfully nice in trailers, and I'm looking forward to some portable schmup-ing.

Top Bottom