• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naoki Hamaguchi: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth was made with the aim of achieving a rating of over 90 on Metacritic

You'd be surprised.
Many devs are run with a very tight budget/deadline with no room for perfectionism let alone great quality. Most of those just hope to hit their intended playerbase and nothing more.
If the budget is low enough, making a good 7/10 is all they need to recoup.
Right!!

Those devs don’t give a rat’s ass about metascore. Just a fun game for playerbase to enjoy.

As for perfectionism, it can be achieved in a lot of ways. A small game like W40k Boltgun achieves perfection in shooting mechanics on a shoestring budget. Doesn’t mean it will get high metascore.

They have to have these sorts of metrics internally for performance review purposes.
Internally, yes. But I would never comment on such a target publicly that specifically. Makes it appear like the entire project's focus lay on some artificial number appeasing some shareholders in a report rather than on just making a fun game for fans, a game he enjoys himself. It's basically the same goal but sounds very different and implies stuff he possibly did not even mean.

Last edited:
Right!!

Those devs don’t give a rat’s ass about metascore. Just a fun game for playerbase to enjoy.

As for perfectionism, it can be achieved in a lot of ways. A small game like W40k Boltgun achieves perfection in shooting mechanics on a shoestring budget. Doesn’t mean it will get high metascore.

Boltgun is a good game but let's keep it in our pants talking about perfect shooting mechanics. Probably one of the richest and most complex things to get right in gaming and I'm not sure it's perfect.

Boltgun is a good game but let's keep it in our pants talking about perfect shooting mechanics. Probably one of the richest and most complex things to get right in gaming and I'm not sure it's perfect.
Are we going to argue over definition of perfection 😂

Anyways, I feel its good enough shooting mechanics to include in great shooters. Don’t think its best, but very satisfying.

Top Bottom