• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth Performance Mode Visual Update on the Way, Director States

Fbh

That's why you don't buy most games at launch.
Buy it a couple of months later for $40-50 when it's actually finished. If devs will whine about the price of games being too low they could at least start by offering a non subpar experience at launch instead of consistently showing consumers that waiting a few months is the way to go.

Why is everyone talking shit??

Horizon Forbidden West took months and multiple patches to be playable on Performance Mode PS5.

This will obviously be fixed.

Even with the shimmering issue at launch the performance mode on Forbidden west at launch looked way sharper than this. On a game that is overall a whole lot more graphically impressive that this one (specially outside of cutscenes)

Last edited:

proandrad

It also shows that they can't go back on budgets because consumers don't accept it. This was made in four years which is insane considering the scale.

And you never played an early access title if you think this is one. Jesus!
It's about the price. At $60 you expect less than at $70. And it's all about how they decide to use the budget. They could have just had maybe 1 less youtube ad and allocate those funds to hiring a technical expert. Maybe cut some stupid mini game and focus their work elsewhere. Only people who lack imagination would just throw the budget as an excuse.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I’ll platinum remake in the meantime. Already bought the double pack as it was a good offer to have intergrade digitally also. Have one of the physical intergrade copies that are apparently quite rare. No rush, I’ll wait for this patch 😀.

Fabieter

It's about the price. At $60 you expect less than at $70. And it's all about how they decide to use the budget. They could have just had maybe 1 less youtube ad and allocate those funds to hiring a technical expert. Maybe cut some stupid mini game and focus their work elsewhere. Only people who lack imagination would just throw the budget as an excuse.

Your point was dismissed because you labeled mini-games in a Final Fantasy game as "stupid." If Square Enix followed certain expectations, we could face a 10-year development cycle. While technical improvements are possible, the hyperbole surrounding this game highlights issues with the unsustainable AAA model. There's a desire for extensive content without a willingness to pay for it.

Accounting for inflation, this $60 and $70 pricing issue holds merit. The common but flawed argument is that today's games are rife with microtransactions. Point out the microtransactions in those single-player games. Gamers tend to be complainers.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
As NX Gamer pointed out, IQ problems in performance is way overblown, if people need to use zoomed in screenshots to make their points they are evidently looking for stuff to find fault with.

Flabagast

The game has ups and downs graphically. It's definitely a last-gen title, but overall I'd take it since they managed to release it in 4 years and that's commendable.

That said, I'm pretty sure we can get a good compromise for VRR or at least 40hz at around 1440p.
Some parts of the game definitely could not be done on last gen.

I did not see anything resembling upper level Junon on PS4 for instance, and you have quite a lot of NPC on the scene as well.

Some other parts look really last gen though, it's inconsistent. But you have so much wildly different settings and graphical assets that I dont mind. The game looks truly beautiful at times

Homie you have no idea what you talking about. Like how you gonna say they should spend their budget when you dont even know what their budget is

Fbh

The game is super fun and I'm not all that bothered by graphic imperfection in games that would make me skip it.

I have zero regret buying this game day one......If it was broken like Cyberpunk at launch then that would be different story.

I'm sure the game is fun and most people are enjoying it, but I'm fine waiting.
I'm not going to skip the game, I'm just saying if I can wait a few months, buy it for cheaper and potentially get a better experience then it seems like a no brainer to me.

It's not just a Square thing either, it's most non Nintendo/FROM big games. Devs complain about low margins and games being too cheap but every fucking new game that come out is just screaming "just wait a few months before your buy me"

NekoFever

This has been an issue with TV shows and movies too. No one knows how to mix anymore and the percentage of people using subtitles keeps going up per year.

I find surround sound helps with movies and TV — people can’t hear dialogue because it’s in the centre channel and they don’t have one and don’t have their setup configured to mix it down correctly.

It’s the opposite with games. The surround mixing is dreadful.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This is honestly one of my biggest gripes with the game. So often dialogue is just completely drowned out by overwhelmingly loud music or environmental sounds. Had to turn my music down to 6 to compensate. Needs to be fixed.

This stuff and the graphical issues really makes me wish they’d sit on a game and more fully test and bug fix before release. Having already completed the game, the promise of future fixes means little to me, but does sour my experience with it as it was on release. You only get one first impression after all.

Lower the effects to 7 and music to 8 and that's worked well for me. The speech mixing got real low so I had to change those to make sense. In the intro when Cloud and co are on the truck making their way to Neibleheim, it was barely audible what they were saying.

DeathGuise

IMG-0089.jpg
Jesus Christ I'm so glad this comes out on PC at some point

I bought Cyberpunk 2077 on it's launch day, and I started it just a while back. I bought Phantom and I'm about to get into it. The game is super awesome.

The OG FF7 is my goty so I'm going to wait that they patch Rebirth, which I also bought on it's release day. Hell I even might wait for PS5 Pro..
Even now while playing Cyberpunk I wish I didn't have to choose between framerate and ray tracing.

Dynasty8

PC is going to give you better framerate and resolution, Shading issues and terrible textures are not a console limitation I'm afraid.

Modders will solve that too along with a few other things. It's also crazy to me that SE didn't add an option to turn off motion blur again (16 didn't have it at launch either).

Modders will solve that too along with a few other things. It's also crazy to me that SE didn't add an option to turn off motion blur again (16 didn't have it at launch either).
There is no full screen motion blur in FF7 rebirth. This is why many OLED owners can't play this at 30fps.

hinch7

Ehhh, just lower internal res slightly in fidelity mode and give us 40fps option (120hz). An improved performance mode would be nice though.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

there i uneven quality especially lightning, shadow and textures on certain area compared to others. there is area feels like on PS5 gen but later on at other place feels like it a cross gen stuff or something possible on ps4. i hope they pay attention toward those things too. overall pretty game, as long nobody trying to zoom in to spot blurry texture. perhaps they could use a little bit more time polishing.

Last edited:
I hope they look at some of those questionable textures too whilst they're at it. I've not got the game yet but want to pick it up at some point in the near future. Seems like waiting might be the best option.
You can’t wait if you wanted the deluxe edition and I got it at launch due to an awesome military discount

Brock2621

Dude this game is so bonkers fun and the story so engaging I cannot believe the conversation is about some texture quality or mild fuzziness in one of the two available modes.

Seriously, when playing you are so engrossed with your objective or the music or level up goal you don’t notice this stuff.

Killjoy-NL

Dude this game is so bonkers fun and the story so engaging I cannot believe the conversation is about some texture quality or mild fuzziness in one of the two available modes.

Seriously, when playing you are so engrossed with your objective or the music or level up goal you don’t notice this stuff.
Except for the audio, which is trash.

It made me completely switch over to playing on Portal, which is a much better overall experience, tbh.

DeVeAn

I hope the really do fix the performance mode because I booted the game up and was like damn these are my only options?

Can’t do Graphics I’m on OLED and it’s very choppy gives me headache.

Glad I didn’t play this weekend. Hopefully next weekend it’s patched and performance isn’t smeared looking anymore.

Top Bottom