• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth Performance Mode Visual Update on the Way, Director States

GHthT0ZbwAENwhc

According to outlet One More Game, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth director Naoki Hamaguchi has stated that an update patch for the game is in the works, with at least part of its intention consisting of a fix for the visual quality in performance mode. No precise date for the arrival was stated, other than Hamaguchi believing it would arrive soon. This update is being done on feedback from players, particularly regarding how some of the facial lighting is inadequate.

You can view Hamagcuhi’s comments quoted below:

We’ve received a lot of feedback on whether the graphics in the performance mode will be improved or not. We hear you, and we are currently working on an update patch to improve that aspect. I don’t think the release date would be far away from now.

We have heard from players that in certain situations, the facial lighting makes some character shadows look very scary. So that’s one part of the update that we are working on.

Thanks to Genki on Twitter for sharing this news.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
I hope they look at some of those questionable textures too whilst they're at it. I've not got the game yet but want to pick it up at some point in the near future. Seems like waiting might be the best option.
Agreed. I’m holding off for now. The textures will be fixed, but whether that’s down to the PS5 pro or PS5 remains to be seen.
I’m sure the issue will be resolved.

It's just too low res.
I regularly game at 1080-1440p on PC and Performance mode in Rebirth is noticeably lower than native 1080. I know DF said it averages out to like 1200p or some shit but the only time I've seen Performance reach near native image quality was during a cutscene, not actual gameplay.

FingerBang

The game has ups and downs graphically. It's definitely a last-gen title, but overall I'd take it since they managed to release it in 4 years and that's commendable.

That said, I'm pretty sure we can get a good compromise for VRR or at least 40hz at around 1440p.

It's just too low res.
I regularly game at 1080-1440p on PC and Performance mode in Rebirth is noticeably lower than native 1080. I know DF said it averages out to like 1200p or some shit but the only time I've seen Performance reach near native image quality was during a cutscene, not actual gameplay.
There something wrong with the upscaler for sure, if you try remote play the performance mode isn't as blurry on lower res

vkbest

It's just too low res.
The problem is not the resolution, the resolution is over 1080p the most time, and you can see something is wrong with their filters even in Full HD native tv

tommycronin

Banned
I'm on my way to pick this game up right now. Should I wait a little bit before jumping in, is performance mode really that bad?

Markio128

I‘ve only tried performance mode on the TV for a couple of hours while my Portal was charging. It does look a bit soft, but to be honest, I find the visuals charming and very pretty at times, and because the game is so engaging, it doesn’t really matter.

Still, if they are happy to improve performance mode, then great, but I can‘t imagine that the resolution will improve (and I’m not bothered if that’s the case) - maybe just lighting and shadows.

Been playing in Performance from the start, 25 hours in now. More often than not the game is gorgeous, I've gotten used to the softer look though an improvement is obviously welcome (assuming it doesn't fuck the framerate which has been super solid). Lighting is a bigger issue which can swing wildly from too dark to overexposed. None of this is diminishing my overall enjoyment though, it's another instant classic and god-tier Final Fantasy.

saintjules

There's something wrong with the audio mixing for 5.1 surround.

What is it that you're hearing in the mixdown / mastering of the sound?

Edit: I saw someone mention the bg music can drown out the character dialogue. But I believe that's just poor automation / programming.

Last edited:

Comandr

Levels are all over the place. I’m regularly getting centre channel party dialogue drowned out by music or NPC chatter in the rear channels.

I’ve had crystal clear voices from an NPC behind me, swung the camera around and can barely hear them.
This is honestly one of my biggest gripes with the game. So often dialogue is just completely drowned out by overwhelmingly loud music or environmental sounds. Had to turn my music down to 6 to compensate. Needs to be fixed.

This stuff and the graphical issues really makes me wish they’d sit on a game and more fully test and bug fix before release. Having already completed the game, the promise of future fixes means little to me, but does sour my experience with it as it was on release. You only get one first impression after all.

saintjules

I'm on my way to pick this game up right now. Should I wait a little bit before jumping in, is performance mode really that bad?

We don't know when these issues will get fixed, but it's good to know that the devs are commenting about it.

So if you've been waiting to play this game, jump right in. Just now that some of the textures and visuals can be subpar at times.

Killjoy-NL

What is it that you're hearing in the mixdown / mastering of the sound?

Edit: I saw someone mention the bg music can drown out the character dialogue. But I believe that's just poor automation / programming.
I think the audio overall is drowning out the dialogue. Also, the rear-speakers seem to loud.
Something seems off.

Saw someone on YT saying it can be solved by going to PS5 settings and set 5.1 to 2 channels.
Seems to work.

NekoFever

This is honestly one of my biggest gripes with the game. So often dialogue is just completely drowned out by overwhelmingly loud music or environmental sounds. Had to turn my music down to 6 to compensate. Needs to be fixed.

This stuff and the graphical issues really makes me wish they’d sit on a game and more fully test and bug fix before release. Having already completed the game, the promise of future fixes means little to me, but does sour my experience with it as it was on release. You only get one first impression after all.
Surround mixing in games is so consistently bad that I’m convinced it’s just not tested because testers are using either TV speakers or headphones.

Remember that phase in the 360/PS3 generation when HUD elements were unreadably small all the time because they looked fine when you’re sat 3 feet from the screen like in a typical testing setup?

Did a quick search before posting but it appears I failed, lol.

Why is everyone talking shit??

Horizon Forbidden West took months and multiple patches to be playable on Performance Mode PS5.

This will obviously be fixed.

Killer8

I don't know what they were thinking when they thought nearest neighbor scaling would be acceptable in 2024.

saintjules

Could be my imagination but when taking DF's advice on switching to 1440 on the PS5's settings, I can see an improvement in the fidelity aspect.

I'm in the Mines right now so I'll have to see when I'm out in the world map.

Fabieter

Thankfully it was less than 4 and thank god. The game looks amazing in graphics mode and I don’t want games developed for 7+ years. 4 is plenty enough and I am happy with it.
And the game has this good hand crafted feel.

Many believe AAA games aren't sustainable, yet when compromises are made, those same individuals criticize the non-sustainable AAA games. Furthermore, these critics often turn to CD keys, purchasing games at half the full price, contributing to the challenges in the gaming industry. Gamers, too, share responsibility for the industry's current state.

Mahavastu

This... but it's the same with the original. It's driving me nuts, the main cutscenes are super clear and loud, and then the in-game (gameplay) cutscenes the voices are so quiet
the same problem (loud effects, quite voice) was also known during the DVD times for movies, back then I had to increase the volume of the center speaker :pie_eyeroll:

proandrad

Why is everyone talking shit??

Horizon Forbidden West took months and multiple patches to be playable on Performance Mode PS5.

This will obviously be fixed.
Really not obvious, given SE's track record so far on PS5. FF16 performance mode is still a mess . Publishers once again releasing games that aren't ready for primetime. Forget crossplay, Sony and Xbox should get together and set higher standards for game releases, especially with the cost increase we have received in new titles. 120 VRR 40fps should be minimum standard for all new $70 releases. FF7 Rebirth doesn't even officially support VRR at 60Hz, you have to force it to apply to unsupported titles in the PS5 system menu. If consumers don't complain then we will continue to receive early access titles pawned off as official release.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Levels are all over the place. I’m regularly getting centre channel party dialogue drowned out by music or NPC chatter in the rear channels.

I’ve had crystal clear voices from an NPC behind me, swung the camera around and can barely hear them.
Ok, I thought I was alone in this. It’s all kinds of messed up.

Fabieter

Really not obvious, given SE's track record so far on PS5. FF16 performance mode is still a mess . Publishers once again releasing games that aren't ready for primetime. Forget crossplay, Sony and Xbox should get together and set higher standards for game releases, especially with the cost increase we have received in new titles. 120 VRR 40fps should be minimum standard for all new $70 releases. FF7 Rebirth doesn't even officially support VRR at 60Hz, you have to force it to apply to unsupported titles in the PS5 system menu. If consumers don't complain then we will continue to receive early access titles pawned off as official release.

It also shows that they can't go back on budgets because consumers don't accept it. This was made in four years which is insane considering the scale.

And you never played an early access title if you think this is one. Jesus!

Top Bottom