• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 |OT| Finally, Tenten's Turn To Shine!

Josh7289

eosos said:
What picture? And that european CE only thing is dumb :(
In the European Collector's Edition.

Also.

Whoa, holy crap, 39/40? What did the first game get? I liked the first one a bit but it was just too simple, just mashing the same button over and over, basically. Unless I wasn't playing it right?

EDIT: I found some person on a forum say UNS1 got a 35/40. That's still a high score but 39 is quite a bit higher. I think I may get this game. The fact that it now has online battles is a huge plus.

1138 said:
My collectors edition was shipped 2 days ago, but it would probarly take some time for it to arrive from Australia. http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/ was the only site i was able to find where they had the collectors edition with an english cover. They still got some left if anyone is interested.

they work on US ps3s?

also, I'm reading that it takes about 4 weeks shipping time usually from austrailia to the US?

If thats the case fuck that. But if not, I would def. buy the CE.

DihcarEM

Shitty OT. I'm guessing that banner is the Naruto/Sakura hug scene.
I will be getting the Euro ps3 CE today or tomorrow(more likely).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This game looks better than the first one in almost every way... but, the shift from free-roaming 3D stages to 2D backdrops saddens me... :(... Instead of expanding on the "adventure" elements of the first one, they marginalized it... a filler between fights...

Skilletor

Panajev2001a said:
This game looks better than the first one in almost every way... but, the shift from free-roaming 3D stages to 2D backdrops saddens me... :(... Instead of expanding on the "adventure" elements of the first one, they marginalized it... a filler between fights...

I think it looks amazing. Prerendered backdrops <3 <3 <3

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Skilletor said:
I think it looks amazing. Prerendered backdrops <3 <3 <3

You could make 3D elements backdrops very lovely and true to the anime (see the quality Level 5 is pushing with their Studio Ghibli game).

I prefer to interact with the game, even outside of fights... I would like to explore the world of Naruto and progress the story beside the fighting stages. UNS was not purely a fighting game, while the second one is moving to a Tekken style approach. If this trend continues, you will have FMV's between fights in UNS3 :p. Would you be happy with amazing FMV's and fights alone?

Pein

Banned
Probably getting the 360 version if its good. Unless the PS3 is dramatically better.

Game is a must have now since it has online battles, thats what killed the first one for me even though I still loved it.

Panajev2001a said:
You could make 3D elements backdrops very lovely and true to the anime (see the quality Level 5 is pushing with their Studio Ghibli game).

I prefer to interact with the game, even outside of fights... I would like to explore the world of Naruto and progress the story beside the fighting stages. UNS was not purely a fighting game, while the second one is moving to a Tekken style approach. If this trend continues, you will have FMV's between fights in UNS3 :p. Would you be happy with amazing FMV's and fights alone?

wait, have you played UNS2 or is this just your guess about UNS2 adventure mode? I also want to have free roaming adventure mode but the way UNS1 did it is the wrong way to do it. you're stuck in the leaf village, it's completely separate from the story mode. nothing change in the village other than boring scroll collecting and occasional minigames like hide and seek. it's the ultimate filler in between the story mission, which you access from a menu instead of talking to some npc.

the way I see it, they're actually improving the adventure mode in UNS2 by allowing you to go out to other village, hopefully it's now fully integrated to the story.

also, no reason prerendered backdrop can't give you interaction and exploration. most ps1 rpg use static background and there's plenty of interaction there.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Callibretto said:
also, no reason prerendered backdrop can't give you interaction and exploration. most ps1 rpg use static background and there's plenty of interaction there.

Wait... PS1 RPG's with pre-rendered backgrounds are now an example of "interaction and exploration"?

Yes, the "roaming" mode of UNS1 was not perfect, but are you telling me that a series of static backdrops which bring the PS1 RPG's heydays are better than expanding the 3D approach to other stages beyond Konoha?

I think that devs prioritized the new characters and boss battles, refinements to the fighting stages, an online battle component, multiplatform development (you do not pull the Xbox 360 version out of thin air), etc... and they did not have the time or manpower (or the budget) to bring the "adventure" elements to the level they wanted while dealing with considerably more locations than the first one provided.

PS1 style backdrops are a negative IMHO while having much more diverse locations is a plus so there is some balancing going on, but I feel that the balance is now leaning more and more towards the fighting aspect of the game.

Commercially they did the right choice: online play + multiplatform release are worth being spent their budget on and will give a better financial return than having a extended 3D roaming mode...

If Elder Scrolls V added more locations and characters, but moved to pre-rendered backdrops and a top-down view (yuck :(...) ... well... it would make for quite a thread ;).

Edit: Look, you are right that it is possible to create a VERY compelling adventure using pre-rendered backgrounds... I just preferred a free roaming 3D mode over them. I agree that if they expanded the 3D free roaming mode and tried to fit in many diverse locations that each location might have suffered, that can happen (see Shenmue I vs Shenmue II, the latter had more locations, but they were not as detailed and polished as each location was in the first game).

Skilletor

Panajev2001a said:

No, it wouldn't bother me at all. I'm playing this because of the fights. But, I'm a fighting game player. Really couldn't care less for the shitty, tacked on single player in this game or the first. This game is a guilty pleasure. The fighting isn't great, the single player isn't great, but dammit if i don't enjoy how amazing the fights feel and look.

I haven't seen much of the single player, but what's different in this game as opposed to being able to jump around on roofs collecting arbitrary items to progress the story as it was in the first?

Edit: I have no idea what the quality of the single player is in this game. Didn't mean to say it was shitty before playing it. Im expecting it to be pretty bad, but the amazing boss fits are bound to make up for that if the videos are any indication.

First game'x single player was very boring and repetitive. The only reason to play it is to unlock characters.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
geebee said:
I'd say that's a fair assumption due to the first game being a PS3 exclusive. There's an already established fan base. Maybe we can start a list of Gamer Tags and PSN IDs. Here's mine.. :D

PSN: BlueNocturne
I'd love to play with a tester!

PSN: B-Genius

Panajev2001a said:
Wait... PS1 RPG's with pre-rendered backgrounds are now an example of "interaction and exploration"?

Yes, the "roaming" mode of UNS1 was not perfect, but are you telling me that a series of static backdrops which bring the PS1 RPG's heydays are better than expanding the 3D approach to other stages beyond Konoha?

I think that devs prioritized the new characters and boss battles, refinements to the fighting stages, an online battle component, multiplatform development (you do not pull the Xbox 360 version out of thin air), etc... and they did not have the time or manpower (or the budget) to bring the "adventure" elements to the level they wanted while dealing with considerably more locations than the first one provided.

PS1 style backdrops are a negative IMHO while having much more diverse locations is a plus so there is some balancing going on, but I feel that the balance is now leaning more and more towards the fighting aspect of the game.

Commercially they did the right choice: online play + multiplatform release are worth being spent their budget on and will give a better financial return than having a extended 3D roaming mode...

If Elder Scrolls V added more locations and characters, but moved to pre-rendered backdrops and a top-down view (yuck :(...) ... well... it would make for quite a thread ;).

Edit: Look, you are right that it is possible to create a VERY compelling adventure using pre-rendered backgrounds... I just preferred a free roaming 3D mode over them. I agree that if they expanded the 3D free roaming mode and tried to fit in many diverse locations that each location might have suffered, that can happen (see Shenmue I vs Shenmue II, the latter had more locations, but they were not as detailed and polished as each location was in the first game).

sure in a perfect scenario I want full free roaming elemntal nations with 1:1 world map, multiple hidden villages and the various little town here and there. but let's be realistic here.

as far as I concern, what they have in UNS2 seems like a big improvement than UNS1. (in my imagination there will be lots of pre rendered background even for leaf village alone, there will be plenty of place to visit and search npc for hidden items, sidequest, mini games, unlockables etc)

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
holy shit !!

just saw the Sasuke vs Itachi Battle ...my god the graphics are so fuckin amazing. For me this game jumped from a "maybe" to "day one".

Im blown away.

Takuan

Sn4ke_911 said:
holy shit !!

just saw the Sasuke vs Itachi Battle ...my god the graphics are so fuckin amazing. For me this game jumped from a "maybe" to "day one".

Im blown away.
I'm pretty much sold on Pain and Fishface alone.

Sn4ke_911 said:
holy shit !!

Im blown away.

Hokage Naruto
vs. Yondaime looked incredible, I can't wait. Although it's just alternate outfit for Sage Naruto, it's still badass.

Coeliacus

Walked into a shopping centre today to see this game was on the shelves. So far a lot of the annoying single player stuff is gone and there is just more going on in general. I did get tired of the amount of loading screens though, not to mention the length of time it took for actual matches. I'm playing it on 360, not installed (don't have the space sadly).

I played a couple of games online, one was fairly smooth which was cool, another was laggy as dog crap, but in the same way that every other fighter is trying to play somebody on the other side of the world so I'll forgive it for that.

Online looks like it's pretty much trying to clone SF4 (vanilla). It's got ranked and player matches, bp count, no blind select etc. I didn't look at player to see if there are lobbies but I doubt it. One neat touch was the players icon which can be obtained in the single player game by buying into a trading/collector card system.

Does anyone know if there is a strat forum online for this or the previous game? I'd love to dabble in learning it with a bit more thought than mashing buttons and chakra dashing through projectiles but I have no idea where to start.
Posted from the old thread.

I should mention for the Aus people that I just walked into JB Hifi and all they had was the collectors edition which was $99AU. :(

I chose the 360 version hoping I'd see more people online with it (slight preference to it's analogue stick as well). I hope I don't have to buy the PS3 just to find people to play.

Lyonaz

Just got the Collector's Edition for PS3!

nsuns2.jpg

FUCK YEAH!!!

Not in the picture is the poster (same as the gamecover) signed by Kishimoto.

luffeN

Lyonaz said:

nsuns2.jpg

FUCK YEAH!!!

damn you, just had to buy it now! :D

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Are load times better in this or what? Drove me insane in part 1. Still interested...

Josh7289

Lyonaz said:

nsuns2.jpg

FUCK YEAH!!!

Whoa, is it legit signed or just a printed signature?

Lyonaz

There are still loading times, but pretty short. The install took long though. :lol Same as the first I think.

The game looks great, yeah jaggies are there, but the pre-rendered background makes Konoha Village look great. Also it's more populated and livelier. Can't wait to see other places.
Story mode plays like an rpg, I like it. Although I hope those filler missions aren't all too boring or repetitive. It's better than the first one's approach though. :lol

Now I just need to wait till more people have the game so I can fight online.

Josh7289 said:
Whoa, is it legit signed or just a printed signature?

Just mass produced printed signature and a drawn self-portrait for the CE.
With a message from him congratulating CC2 on their 15th anniversary, his love for Tekken and that he's looking forward to play Lars in the game.
Also that CC2 surpassed his manga-style and raised the bar.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Josh7289 said:
That first review is invalid for complaining about the dub.

EDIT: Crap, didn't mean to double post, but what's done is done.
Well, he beat out the second review just by sounding like he actually played the game. Seems like it's mostly fan-service.

Ezalc

I don't get the Tenten thing. Is she actually relevant in the game? I didn't play the first one so excuse me ignorance here.

Lyonaz

Online is awesome. Damn lots of Sasukes out there. :lol

I got trashed by a high ranked Akatsuki Sasuke and also lost to Killer Bee.:D
I fought some with lag, but hopefully when there are more players I can fight more people with better connections. When there is no lag the battles get intense and awesome.

KO'ing your opponent with ultimate jutsu while in Awakening mode (4-tailed fox) Naruto is soooo satisfying.:lol Take that Sasuke!! My finest victory of the day!

I was only made aware of how good this game is going to be just last week. I really want to get it, but unfortunately, I haven't watched any Shippuden, and I don't want this to spoil everything for me. I would have watched it by now, but I made the mistake of watching some of the filler arcs, and they were so godawful, I stopped watching, and didn't start again (it's been about a year since I stopped watching it now).

The release of this game will probably give me the kick up the ass I need to get up-to-date, but would you guys suggest watching the Shippuden anime, or reading it via manga instead?

Raw64life

So how far into the anime does this go? I'm a casual Naruto fan whose watching habits consist of watching 50-60 episodes at a time about once a year. I think episode 89 was the last one I watched.

Top Bottom