• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NASA Sets Launch Date for Artemis I Moon Mission - August 29th

MastaKiiLA

Hydrolox is such a pain in the ass to work with, relative to other fuels. It's performant, but the gains in specific impulse seem to be outweighed by the added complexity and bulk.

akimbo009

Gold Member
And yet, it's amazing what SpaceX and private industry was able to do with a fraction of the budget of NASA....

This is such disingenuous bullshit. I dunno what the compulsion is that makes people wanna bag on NASA, but boy do they and and then proceed to say the stupidest shit.

Not to take away too much from Space X, cause they've done some cool shit, but the mission requirements here at well beyond their ability to serve, nevermind whether it's "cost effective". SpaceX does plan on building Starship, but that's years away from launch and not even known to be viable commercially.

And that's the problem. 95% of the shit NASA does has nothing to do with commerical applicability or at at least not directly. To apply normal P&L and market forces to them is super weird. Meanwhile they recently had an amazing success with Webb - but let's not talk about that if we can build a narrative to talk shit in hopes for an even less advanced society (I guess - I don't understand the motives of folks who love to suddenly become frugal when space exploration comes up).

This is such disingenuous bullshit. I dunno what the compulsion is that makes people wanna bag on NASA, but boy do they and and then proceed to say the stupidest shit.

Not to take away too much from Space X, cause they've done some cool shit, but the mission requirements here at well beyond their ability to serve, nevermind whether it's "cost effective". SpaceX does plan on building Starship, but that's years away from launch and not even known to be viable commercially.

And that's the problem. 95% of the shit NASA does has nothing to do with commerical applicability or at at least not directly. To apply normal P&L and market forces to them is super weird. Meanwhile they recently had an amazing success with Webb - but let's not talk about that if we can build a narrative to talk shit in hopes for an even less advanced society (I guess - I don't understand the motives of folks who love to suddenly become frugal when space exploration comes up).

"Disingenuous bullshit" Wow... Well, I hazard responding since you clearly know much more than me about this.

That said, I'm data driven and would like to point out the following:

• SpaceX has launched 33 missions in 2022 and is almost on pace for nearly 60 Falcon 9 launches this year, including 6 over a 17 day period. Far surpassing NASA.
  • There were about 4,852 active satellites orbiting the Earth on January 1, 2022. 2,944 belong to the United States. China had 499 satellites at the start of this year. There are now nearly 6000 satellites and SpaceX makes up about half of the satellites.
  • SpaceX could finish 2023 with about 7700-8000 Starlink satellites in orbit. This would be about three times as much as today. SpaceX would be able to service about 20 million Starlink users around the world in 2023, NASA as far as I know doesn't provide a service for terrestrial broadband?
  • NASA has selected SpaceX to return humans to the moon: https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/...a-picks-spacex-to-land-next-americans-on-moon

What NASA has done with Webb is great, but NASA is somewhat incompetent. I'm sure based on your knowledge you're familiar with how the NRO sold NASA two state-of-the-art spy satellites for a dollar (based Boeing's Future Imagery Architecture) that included all optics, main mirrors, avionics, and other basic systems and NASA has done nothing with them. I'm sure learning about this now, the Google searches will hastily commence for an answer that suites you!

NASA does good work and research, but they went off course in the 1970s and never recovered. The Space Shuttle was a nightmare of a design that set up back decades and should have never been subsidized by taxpayers for decades while putting American astronauts at risk. IMHO, they are a bureaucracy that is dying and outdated, they should be blown up and built a new. And no amount of edgy teens wearing NASA t-shirts to signal will change that.

EDIT: And, just to clarify, Hubble was basically a Keyhole-11 design that points upward. Webb is a little different because of the spectrum it images, but the main point stands.

EDIT2: Question I just thought up: If the Nunn-McCurdy Act applied to NASA, what would they have?!

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
sad the launch was scrubbed. Wish I could stay in florida for the retry on Friday, but sadly work calls. still got to enjoy a great beach in Cocoa Beach :)

Also a lot of celebrities were walking around here.

Last edited:

Hugare

Some guys on the 50's were capable of successfully launching a rocket to the moon, but NASA in 2022 arent able to even leave orbit?

Pff, bunch of amateurs

akimbo009

Gold Member
"Disingenuous bullshit" Wow... Well, I hazard responding since you clearly know much more than me about this.

That said, I'm data driven and would like to point out the following:

• SpaceX has launched 33 missions in 2022 and is almost on pace for nearly 60 Falcon 9 launches this year, including 6 over a 17 day period. Far surpassing NASA.
  • There were about 4,852 active satellites orbiting the Earth on January 1, 2022. 2,944 belong to the United States. China had 499 satellites at the start of this year. There are now nearly 6000 satellites and SpaceX makes up about half of the satellites.
  • SpaceX could finish 2023 with about 7700-8000 Starlink satellites in orbit. This would be about three times as much as today. SpaceX would be able to service about 20 million Starlink users around the world in 2023, NASA as far as I know doesn't provide a service for terrestrial broadband?
  • NASA has selected SpaceX to return humans to the moon: https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/...a-picks-spacex-to-land-next-americans-on-moon

What NASA has done with Webb is great, but NASA is somewhat incompetent. I'm sure based on your knowledge you're familiar with how the NRO sold NASA two state-of-the-art spy satellites for a dollar (based Boeing's Future Imagery Architecture) that included all optics, main mirrors, avionics, and other basic systems and NASA has done nothing with them. I'm sure learning about this now, the Google searches will hastily commence for an answer that suites you!

NASA does good work and research, but they went off course in the 1970s and never recovered. The Space Shuttle was a nightmare of a design that set up back decades and should have never been subsidized by taxpayers for decades while putting American astronauts at risk. IMHO, they are a bureaucracy that is dying and outdated, they should be blown up and built a new. And no amount of edgy teens wearing NASA t-shirts to signal will change that.

EDIT: And, just to clarify, Hubble was basically a Keyhole-11 design that points upward. Webb is a little different because of the spectrum it images, but the main point stands.

EDIT2: Question I just thought up: If the Nunn-McCurdy Act applied to NASA, what would they have?!

Looks like I found the Space-X fanboy. Nevermind that NASA & SpaceX have totally different missions, and SpaceX is a subcontractor to NASA missions just like Lockheed & Boeing, and other commercial rocket companies. All your post did was illustrate the dependency that NASA has on contractors - which is totally fine and OK - it's not like the Navy or Air Force build their own equipment to meet their own mission objectives. Besides, these companies all build off the shoulders of giants. And while NASA no longer has 5% GDP budgets, for the budgets it gets it still arguably achieves more than any other space agency on the planet.

Your random details around NRO or Hubble (what are you even going on about) are just bizarre - along with your random toss away about Webb, which is probably one of the most advanced machines ever built, and executed flawlessly. Dunno why people wearing NASA shirts is 'edgy'...

We can say the Government itself has mismanaged the shit out of NASA - sure - but that doesn't invalidate what they are doing, have done, and will continue to do - including Artemis I. I guess if you wanna go rail on how horrible they are, make a thread on it - but that's not on-topic - we're here to get hyped about getting a crew-compliant rocket to the Moon - the first time in 50 years.

Looks like another scrubbed launch attempt. I get the feeling we're getting delayed another month.
When you understand that the the only thing the SLS was designed to take to the moon were the weapons contractors bottom line the whole thing starts to make more sense.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Is there a live feed from the rocket? Do we have a camera on the ship looking out the window so we can watch it get to the moon and back.

Esca

It was beautiful, lit up the night sky. The rocket launchs truly are the only reason i like living down here

In my lifetime I'm going to see man walk on the moon again and they will likely have 4k footage of it too.

I just can't believe it.

It's really happening.

To say I'm excited is an understatement

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Of course. If it was Manned, they would have to change the name.
Reaction Confused GIF

Tams

It's unmanned? No wonder this wasn't hyped up on the news, people going back to the moon in person would have been historic.
Well, yeah, it's the first time* this rocket and spaceship are flying. Of course no one's on board.

*some of the components have been reused (and completely refurbished and updated).

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
he doesn't believe in space?

what are his thoughts on the sun and moon? does he think they are fake and the sky is just a giant tv screen?

anyone who doesn't believe in space is the complete opposite of smart. you need to be completely empty in the head.
he doesn't believe in space?

what are his thoughts on the sun and moon? does he think they are fake and the sky is just a giant tv screen?

anyone who doesn't believe in space is the complete opposite of smart. you need to be completely empty in the head.
BB3cyo9.gif

SJRB

Gold Member
Orion spacecraft just successfully emerged from its first orbit behind the moon. No signal loss, everything seems okay.

Outbound power flyby burn, took about 18 minutes. Closest approach to the moon, 80 miles above the lunar surface.

The livestream is still going, camera is pointed towards Earth which is of course rather remarkable to see.

Last edited:
Orion spacecraft just successfully emerged from its first orbit behind the moon. No signal loss, everything seems okay.

Outbound power flyby burn, took about 18 minutes. Closest approach to the moon, 80 miles above the lunar surface.

The livestream is still going, camera is pointed towards Earth which is of course rather remarkable to see.
Link PLEAASE?

Top Bottom