• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NASA - SpaceX Crew-2 Mission Launch

NASA - SpaceX Crew-2 Mission​

Sorry I did a search for a Launch Thread but did not find one if there is one please merge or delete

Live Stream

launch is in about 2 hours

SpaceX

NASA​

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
It's still insane to me that a) there's a private company successfully shooting people into space basically propelling space travel to a next level and b) everything is livestreamed on the internet in HD.

So cool.

It's still insane to me that a) there's a private company successfully shooting people into space basically propelling space travel to a next level and b) everything is livestreamed on the internet in HD.

So cool.
As much as I am a huge SpaceX fanboy I really was hoping for more private companies to be at this level right now.

Yeah still very cool

25 minutes

I hold my breath until max q everytime. I worry of course about the crew, but they have very good escape means.

I also worry since i know how important it is that every single one of these flights goes perfect for space travel to continue on this trajectory without major setbacks

So cool.
Theres plenty of smaller companies who are building interesting approaches to commercial rocketry. As for manned space flight however.....the real other competitor just hasnt pushed things or taken the chances needed to compete

Booster landed
giphy.gif

Man why they got to launch while I am dead ass asleep. Congrats though. Making it seem like just another day at the office.
I was dead ass asleep most of the week if I was not up last night working on something I would have not noticed the launch was delayed to this morning

It seems most of the launches to the ISS have a chance of being at weird times because the path they must take is extremely limited they can't risk dropping stuff over island nations near Florida so they fly to a north east direction. They also take the long slow right up 23+ hours because the Dragon is roomie so they don't have to rush and meet the ISS in 3 hours like they did with the Russian rocket because it was tiny and cramped.

Right now they are sleeping during the ride.

CloudNull

Banned
I was dead ass asleep most of the week if I was not up last night working on something I would have not noticed the launch was delayed to this morning

It seems most of the launches to the ISS have a chance of being at weird times because the path they must take is extremely limited they can't risk dropping stuff over island nations near Florida so they fly to a north east direction. They also take the long slow right up 23+ hours because the Dragon is roomie so they don't have to rush and meet the ISS in 3 hours like they did with the Russian rocket because it was tiny and cramped.

Right now they are sleeping during the ride.
I had no idea. That is awesome to know.

MastaKiiLA

Unless something tragic happens to SpaceX or Elon Musk, I think Starship will get it done in another 5-8 years.
I'm skeptical of that timeline. Specifically, I'm not sure how many people want to make a 1-way trip for a few weeks/months of remaining life. I say this, because I don't know if getting there is the biggest hurdle, so much as getting back. Ignoring the difficulty of surviving on the planet for the return window, they'd need to figure out a way to produce enough fuel for the return trip in that time. That means building any necessary infrastructure, and then getting production going without too many hurdles.

I'm hoping they can do it, but I think there are some enormous questions that need to be answered once they literally stick the landings.

Ballthyrm

That means building any necessary infrastructure, and then getting production going without too many hurdles.

Yeah, I tend to agree with that. We have seen a lot of technology on the rocket side but almost none on the robot side.
We are talking about industrial capacity with autonomous robot on another world with a arduous job of mining and transforming basic resource.

If they are serious about coming back, they should be starting right now on this.
I think that doable but it need serious brain power on that.

I'm skeptical of that timeline. Specifically, I'm not sure how many people want to make a 1-way trip for a few weeks/months of remaining life. I say this, because I don't know if getting there is the biggest hurdle, so much as getting back. Ignoring the difficulty of surviving on the planet for the return window, they'd need to figure out a way to produce enough fuel for the return trip in that time. That means building any necessary infrastructure, and then getting production going without too many hurdles.

I'm hoping they can do it, but I think there are some enormous questions that need to be answered once they literally stick the landings.

This is normal thinking, you would need to do a lot of research to change that perspective. Return-Fuel is the most basic of questions. These are extremely smart people hiring smarter people to work on these basic issues.

It is normal to doubt or question something that has never been done before. I hardly believe this is happening myself. Getting to Mars is Hard, Living there is Very Hard. What you should know is there are many companies set up for the sole purpose of answering the challenges that Mars has. Colony and infrastructure planning are part of the meetings Elon Musk has at SpaceX every week. He is not really out here joking about Mars. If you don't know what is being worked on you have are just not part of the crazy people engineering a Mars colony.

None of this is normal everyday thinking. MOXIE was used for the first time a few days ago. Whatever doubts or question you an I have there have been people who have been working on these things for most of their working lives. The colony is going to happen with or without SpaceX. SpaceX just makes it a real thing sooner. Mars is at least 100 times more difficult than you and I may think it is. So whatever doubts and questions we may have someone smarter is actively working on it and funded to do so.

Here is MOXIE

There are a number of companies who have working and proven digital printed shelters using Mars sand and dirt.

Every company Elon Musk runs has a Mars application. The Starship is big for a reason and even at that size Elon Musk knows it will that a thousand of them doing many trips to just get the foundation of the thing he has mapped out for his colony.

While we sit here with questions and doubts people like him have blueprints and layouts of full city sized colonies on Mars.

Top Bottom