• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

National Geographic: The Amazing Dinosaur Found (Accidentally) by Miners in Canada

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2017/06/dinosaur-nodosaur-fossil-discovery/

nodosaur-fossil-canadian-mine-face.adapt.1190.1.jpg

Some 110 million years ago, this armored plant-eater lumbered through what is now western Canada, until a flooded river swept it into open sea. The dinosaur’s undersea burial preserved its armor in exquisite detail. Its skull still bears tile-like plates and a gray patina of fossilized skins.

nodosaur-fossils-herbivore-puzzle.adapt.1190.1.jpg

In life this imposing herbivore—called a nodosaur—stretched 18 feet long and weighed nearly 3,000 pounds. Researchers suspect it initially fossilized whole, but when it was found in 2011, only the front half, from the snout to the hips, was intact enough to recover. The specimen is the best fossil of a nodosaur ever found.

My inner archaeologist screamed with joy at this article crossing my feed. The thing has fossilized skin.

Apathy

Canada winning again

Also, looks like it could be blizzard cross promotion for un'goro. Thing looks a lot like some of the dinos in the set

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
So how close were paleontologists to predicting its armor plating based solely on fossilized bones?

What an amazing find.

Seriously, I couldn't imagine the thrill of finding something like this. I really hope one day soon a large Theropod is found in such an amazing state.

And not a feather in sight!

#teamscales

So this is what happened to the Jackals and Skirmishers.

Machina

Banned
If any middle school Biology teachers wanna blow their students minds, take them on an excursion to see this thing

Neat... dinosaur.

But this means the coloring will also be known, right? Because that's still one of those topics that is in need of settling: how did non-avian dinosaurs use colors?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
And not a feather in sight!

#teamscales

100% explains dragon myths too. Like, zero doubt.

Its thought that the idea of cyclops from myth is because ancient people discovered mammoth skeletons and assumed the large nasal cavity was in fact a single eye socket. That and they assumed that the Skeleton was set up like an upright biped like themselves and not a four legged animal like it really was.

Top Bottom