• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

National Geographic: The Amazing Dinosaur Found (Accidentally) by Miners in Canada

Neat... dinosaur.

But this means the coloring will also be known, right? Because that's still one of those topics that is in need of settling: how did non-avian dinosaurs use colors?

If they can even find traces from amongst the fossilised skin, yeah. It's a bit like how they reconstruct the colours of marble statues - no, they weren't sheer white in ancient Greece and Rome.

soldat7

skyrim_dragon.jpg

From another angle.

Madness

You just know if it was alive today some poachers would be killing it, somebody would make medicine out of it, a corporation wiuld want to make boots and belts out of the skin, and some would definitely want to eat it.

But that looks amazing. That much detail being preserved. I recently was watching Planet Earth II, won't be long till we have exterminated most non-domestic wildlife on the planet. Even today, thread about a guy beating a goose for attacking his son, and others saying geese are territorial and a menace, but no one ever thinks, where do you want them to go? Raze a forest and raise chickens and sheep on a farm and then kill wolves because they eat them. Build a mansion in a mountaintop and then kill grizzly cubs or cougars because they eat out of the garbage or attack your pet cat.

Also, finally #TeamNoFeathers

Is that the most well preserved dino remains?

Depends on what metric you use. It's technically an incomplete skeleton, and it is heavily calcified; but as a creature with all the insides represented within the portions we do have available, and with particular regards to exterior appearance itself, I'd heavily wager so, yeah.

WorldStar

Banned
love how it clearly doesn't have feathers, yet some still choose to believe that dinosaurs had feathers

regardless, very cool find

Wulfric

That's amazing! It looks like a Skyrim dragon.

It really is humbling to see fossils and realize we're fragile meat snacks in comparison.

Gravidee

With this find as well as that dinosaur tail and claw found in amber, I hope that someday we can find an even better specimen in a preserved state.

jett

D-Member
That's really interesting. It looks really close to our imagined depictions of dinosaurs.

And not a feather in sight!

#teamscales

100% explains dragon myths too. Like, zero doubt.

So in antiquity there were a bunch of fossilized dinosaurs lying around?

GhaleonEB

That's an amazing find. Stinkles is right in noting the dragon similarities, that first picture is pure fantasy, fossilized.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Wow, that is an amazing find. I'd absolutely love to see that in person!

Top Bottom