• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

National Geographic: The Amazing Dinosaur Found (Accidentally) by Miners in Canada

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Arent they all dragons? I didnt know there was a difference between dragons and drakes and wyverns.

In general, dragons are the four-legged dinosaurian monsters with wings, drakes are smaller or younger dragons (or sometimes just large lizards with draconian characteristics), and wyverns have two legs and two wings which may double as forelimbs. Wyverns are obscure but do have a distinct definition due to their common usage in heraldry. As an example, in the book of The Hobbit, Smaug is a dragon (four legs, two wings). In the terrible movies, he is a wyvern (two legs, two wings).

Xe4

Banned
Fuck, that's an amazing fossil. Up there with the greats for sure.

Can someone explain why this species or genus have no feathers?

Not all dinosaurs have/had feathers.

Persons-and-Currie-feather-figure.png

Amir0x

Banned
just imagine if this was found, how many thousands upon thousands of other insane pristine finds of majestic fantasy beast are waiting for us somewhere on Earth

ah to live another 5000 years

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Fascinating really. Fucking 110 million years ago...

Human civilisation is only 5000-6000 years old and modern humans have been on Earth for 200k years. Dinosaurs lived on Earth for 150 million years. We may be the only species to become extinct in record time.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
In general, dragons are the four-legged dinosaurian monsters with wings, drakes are smaller or younger dragons (or sometimes just large lizards with draconian characteristics), and wyverns have two legs and two wings which may double as forelimbs. Wyverns are obscure but do have a distinct definition due to their common usage in heraldry. As an example, in the book of The Hobbit, Smaug is a dragon (four legs, two wings). In the terrible movies, he is a wyvern (two legs, two wings).
Khaleesi doesn't have dragons, she has wyverns?

"I am the mother of wyverns!"

Yeah fuck that. A giant reptile that shoots out fire and flies, is a dragon. I don't care if it has 4 legs or two lol. Mother of wyverns...hahaha.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Also hard scales kinda make feathers pointless unlike other dinosaurs with no "hard scales"

Arent they all dragons? I didnt know there was a difference between dragons and drakes and wyverns.

dragons = four limbs + 2 wings
drakes = four limbs
wyverns = two limbs + 2 wings (with the wings acting like the missing limbs)
wyrms = snake-like

Khaleesi doesn't have dragons, she has wyverns?

"I am the mother of wyverns!"

Yeah fuck that. A giant reptile that shoots out fire and flies, is a dragon. I don't care if it has 4 legs or two lol. Mother of wyverns...hahaha.

Better than that old Final Fantasy translation

"Y Burn"

On the dragon talk, it's just a distinction to qualify particular aesthetic traits. Parallel use in heraldry drove up a desire to distinguish the two, but fantasy works in particular pushed the idea of a difference by introducing differing tiers and types of dragons, with wyverns usually coming out as the lesser beasts.

In contrast, the oldest depictions of Saint George fighting a dragon? More resemble the depiction of a wyvern. While the ancient greeks generally just imagined dragons as especially big lizards and snakes, though one variant they believed to exist in Ethiopia was said to have wings and hunted elephants.

So yeah, if anyone discovered shit like this several thousand years ago, I think they'd have just screamed whatever their equivalent for the concept of 'dragon!' was. Does that make such discoveries the only or more probable cause for thinking dragons existed? Not really; for the western conception at least, bear in mind that the crocodile existed but wasn't really a thing in Europe. Not hard to add fire and wings to spice up the iconography from there.

Though, I do wanna see someone use this as inspiration for a dragon design...

Top Bottom