• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog Lied, TLOU 2 Does Force Dog Killing

joe_zazen

Naughty Dog confirms you wont have to kill dogs to progress

You must kill a dog to progress in tlou2.

urJNLK2.png

Neil Druckman surprise subversion gif:
tumblr_mwqonyj6T61szd98eo1_500.gif

Stuart360

It was funny watching CohhCarnage stream when he got to the first dog kill. He had literally hacked a woman 3 times, and slit her throat (no probnlem), then a dog was running for him a second later and he's like 'no, no....no,....NO, please dont make me do it Naughty Dog, please, PLEASE!' lol.
I have to admit though, i'm the same.

ebevan91

It was funny watching CohhCarnage stream when he got to the first dog kill. He had literally hacked a woman 3 times, and slit her throat (no probnlem), then a dog was running for him a second later and he's like 'no, no....no,....NO, please dont make me do it Naughty Dog, please, PLEASE!' lol.

I reloaded my save numerous times to try and sneak through that first big area with the dogs without having to kill them but I kept screwing up so I said fuck it and threw Molotovs at them when they ran towards me.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Anytime I had the opportunity to kill the person who had the dog leash I would go out of my way to do that so the dog can't move and therefore I don't have to kill the dog.

Eliciel

you can avoid most dogs, did it myself, BUT: It is very very tedious to do so and astonishingly realistic to accomplish it.

Real Life:
A Dog is Not so easy to trick, especially when they are trained. They can find their "target" (odour/scent) for hours and hours and miles away. That even counts for a well trained private dog Independent of breed, but do you believe you would be getting away from a trained Military/Police/Hunting Dog(breed) so easily? I haven't tried it myself, but I can Imagine it being very hard to accomplish.
They didn't lie, at best, maybe they could have clarify that it would be stupid hard to avoid them.

Remember other examples of accomplishing differentiated Goals:
it was never easy to not kill anyone in MGS V, but IT IS possible and If you are a true pacifist maybe you did it.

For me:
I have a dog myself and I can say I avoided dogs ingame, but I also killed them. Let's Not be too pretencious in morale here while critizising ND all the time for being too moralistic. Let's not preach Water and drink Wine friends, right?

Last edited:

jimbojim

Banned
In RDR 2 i've killed bunch of animals. In FC5 i've ripped them apart. In Days Gone i've killed them A LOT! So, what's the problem anyway.

iorek21

Probably killed hundreds of dogs in Souls games

Killed Sam in The Walking Dead Season 2

Not to mention all those Assassins Creed, Far Cry, etc

TLOU2 is a game that features murder, torture and other stuff, and killing dogs is suddenly something bad?

VAL0R

Banned
In Minecraft Dungeons I slaughter countless cows, sheep and pigs for their fleshmeat and loot. I laugh as I slay. You mad?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
you can avoid most dogs, did it myself, BUT: It is very very tedious to do so and astonishingly realistic to accomplish it.

Real Life:
A Dog is Not so easy to trick, especially when they are trained. They can find their "target" (odour/scent) for hours and hours and miles away. That even counts for a well trained private dog Independent of breed, but do you believe you would be getting away from a trained Military/Police/Hunting Dog(breed) so easily? I haven't tried it myself, but I can Imagine it being very hard to accomplish.
They didn't lie, at best, maybe they could have clarify that it would be stupid hard to avoid them.

Remember other examples of accomplishing differentiated Goals:
it was never easy to not kill anyone in MGS V, but IT IS possible and If you are a true pacifist maybe you did it.

For me:
I have a dog myself and I can say I avoided dogs ingame, but I also killed them. Let's Not be too pretencious in morale here while critizising ND all the time for being too moralistic. Let's not preach Water and drink Wine friends, right?

Agreed on all points except pacificst MGSV being difficult. The tranquilizer is the best gun for stealth in mgs2, 3, and 4. V is no different haha even when it introduces the armored guards.

And yea the dogs in tlou2 are difficult to sneak past but fairly "nice" to the player compared to real life where even a domesticated small house dog will easily notice you sneaking around. There would be ZERO chance for Ellie, or even Joel in fact, to sneak through some of these scenarios in real life.

Self

Naughty Dog you cheating motherfunckin' liers!

I specifically bought this game... to.. well... not kill dogs!
1OPH1EP.gif

Eliciel

Agreed on all points except pacificst MGSV being difficult. The tranquilizer is the best gun for stealth in mgs2, 3, and 4. V is no different haha even when it introduces the armored guards.

And yea the dogs in tlou2 are difficult to sneak past but fairly "nice" to the player compared to real life where even a domesticated small house dog will easily notice you sneaking around. There would be ZERO chance for Ellie, or even Joel in fact, to sneak through some of these scenarios in real life.

Dear Madam or Sir! just kidding, well, if we can agree on so many levels in todays' world, you are basically my best friend. Welcome to the family. :lollipop_grinning_eyes:
True, the tranquilizer gun was indeed very well done for that !

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
My girlfriend was legit upset when it happened lol

She had a sandy vag for a few mins at least and threatend to complain to the manger. But then she quickly moved on with her life when she remembered that it's a videogame.

She now enjoys throwing Molotov Cocktails at the dogs 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Yeah I killed many of them .. damn they were tough and no I don’t care if people get upset because you can kill a dog , it’s a game for god sake and while kids play gta and kill “ people “ with every gun they can get no one actually say something .. oh wait ! It’s not naughty dog ..

Man stfu

Last edited:
I feel like they had to lie because if they admitted there was a dog you had to kill that would signal the people that there's some kind of story important reason for you to kill a dog. instead they related the actual fact that most of the time you can get out of killing dogs.

GlockSaint

Why is this a big issue again? I don't care if you have a dog or whatever, you probably have a friend, a spouse a family member and i can safely bet that they're human so is it okay to kill humans? It's just a game mechanic ffs, to make stealth a little bit more interesting.
So many games allow you to hunt (like most open world games with crafting) and no one complains in all resident evil games you have to kill zombified dogs, in dark souls games you kill dog like creatures it dogs, mgs games also have plenty of dogs that are almost impossible to avoid i could go on and on.
So again what's the a big deal? Or is it because it's a big release then everyone is looking for ways to hate it?

Vawn

Banned
But nevertheless, animal is an animal. Dog isn't endangered animal, unlike wolves, snakes, eagles etc. Well, nobody complains when you kill an endangered species then. :D

If anyone complains about killing a snake, I'll slap them. Virtual or otherwise.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I've killed them in about 5 different ways so far without really trying. Sorry pooches.

Vawn

Banned
I've killed them in about 5 different ways so far without really trying. Sorry pooches.

Same, except I try. I'll reload checkpoints just to kill a dog a different way. Each kill I try to be more gruesome than the last in hopes that some PETA member somewhere can sense it happening.

Then, I run around shouting "Michael VIIIIIIIIIIIIICK!!!!".

I'm actually a big dog person in real life. This is just such a stupid "controversy". In a game where you murder actual people and sometimes it is pretty grey if they actually deserve it.

Oh noooooooo not the digital dogos! Fuck those digital humans they're useless racist assholes that need to die, but not my sweet pixle doggy that's where I draw the fucking line!

Last edited:
S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Can't say that it bothers me. Been killing all of the dogs anyway. Leaving bombs in the scent trail, hitting both them & their human companions with molotovs to create a diversion... It's been a wild ride so far.

Anytime I had the opportunity to kill the person who had the dog leash I would go out of my way to do that so the dog can't move and therefore I don't have to kill the dog.
I haven’t even reach a part where they introduce dogs, but do the dogs become passive once you kill their owners ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom