• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog release list of their 12 favorite games of the year

AJUMP23

Gold Member
In these 3 years they had multiple releases, and nowadays you don't make a new big AAA game in 3 years at all, you need like twice that. And unlike MS, Sony doesn't show their games until close to release.

They are working on at least 3 new games + a remasters, plus overviewing -at least- a tv shown and a movie adaptation of their IPs.

Druckman has entered the chat.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
TLOU 2 destroys RE4Remake in all metrics
For you maybe but I bought this day one
3vzUa3e.jpg

And this area is the last thing I remember
PoDbb36.jpg

Because I never returned back to it, I probably got a little further but it's all so vague and uninteresting compared to the original were I wanted to know what happens next, but I just ended up doing other stuff like looking on my phone, the game just wasn't pulling me in like the first did.
I can see the improvements in gameplay so I ain't disagreeing on that.
but it takes more to drive you from start to finish than good mechanics.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
3vzUa3e.jpg

PoDbb36.jpg

Because I never returned back to it, I probably got a little further but it's all so vague and uninteresting compared to the original were I wanted to know what happens next, but I just ended up doing other stuff like looking on my phone, the game just wasn't pulling me in like the first did.
I’ll admit that’s the shittiest part of the game. But it shouldn’t take longer than an hour. Just drop the difficulty and skip any puzzles and you’ll be out of there in no time. The rest of the game is all linear with great gameplay and story. You should absolutely continue.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: TGO

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
It’s the safest, most curated, most by-committee list of the year.
Even the TGA nominees were more daring.
And the complete lack of Hogwarts in any list from relevant outlets speaks volumes. Not even ONE mention for the biggest game ever made with an IP 90% of today’s devs are guaranteed to have grown up with? Come on.
You complain about the list being safe, curated and by-committee, then lament the exclusion of a Harry Potter game?

Soodanim

Gold Member
Look friend, you're free to believe whatever you want.
Or ignore there's ND influence in every Capcom RE remakes (and before that, starting with Revelations 2 which could have been almost sued for plagiarism indeed, T Three ) and it's not even subtle or limited, to the point one could wonder how is even possible to pretend there isn't.
Saying RE2R (one of my favorite survival ever, a wet dream kinda game when it comes to game loop for me) was just RE7 in third person is, well, just not something I can agree with.

And there's nothing outlandish about it, Naughty Dog was heavily inspired by what Capcom did, and Capcom certainly couldn't ignore one of the most successful and better reviewed games ever (in a time they were struggling with the series and their games perception in general), inspired by what they did first while presenting many successfully delevoped elements.

And that's not my personal feeling only or something..

It came straight from Capcom, if you remember the leaks which did the rounds because of "woke elements":

I just wish Capcom inspiration was limited to certain gameplay elements, atmosphere and production values however.. and not an inch more. Some think differently:

I'm sorry merely acknowledging this pisses off to no ends a huge percentage of this place, but I'm deluded into thinking present gaming history as it happens uncaring of what some people feel about "exclusive games" should be the proper course of action for a supposed "enthusiast" gaming Forum.

You're also free to believe whatever you want, but if you assert an opinion as a fact then people will respond. I was inclined to agree with T Three , because your base opinion didn't appear to be much more than "I prefer TLOU2 to RE4R". Then you doubled down.

1. Influence covers a lot of ground, and I think you're giving too much credit to single sources and as a result it all comes up short.
It does a disservice to both franchises to give that much credit to the other for what either is doing. Any dev is going to pay attention to what other games do right, that goes without saying. Shoulders of giants and all that. But that's not what you said. When you single out 4R as being a bootleg TLOU2 then post 10 clips that only showcase how the gameplay is vastly different and more appropriately compared to any number of other games, don't be surprised when someone disagrees with your opinions.

2. At no point did I say 2R was just 7 in third person.
Seriously, I didn't say even anything close to that. You focused only on a middle sentence and ignored everything around it. Context matters.

3. That TrueTrophies link is either a spoof article or the biggest load of shit I've ever read.
Either way, it doesn't deserve to be quoted as some sort of trusted source to make a point. Did you read any of it? I don't even know where to start with it, so I'll just say that if it's serious it looks at two games in a very small bubble and ignores anything outside of that - with ridiculous results like "4R copied the circular health bar HUD from TLOU2". Onion-lite is my hopeful guess without having read other pieces by that site/author.

4. The inspiration referenced in that Reddit link, as far as I can find at this point, is that Capcom used TLOU2 and Tomb Raider as examples of positive representations of female characters.
That Reddit post is a cherry pick of a cherry pick of a wider presentation about how Capcom wanted to change how it approached many different things, not how TLOU2 is their idol for gameplay. All it shows is that TLOU2 is one of two examples given regarding one unrelated aspect of game design. It confirms nothing except that Capcom are aware TLOU2 exists.

5. Not reading that Game Rant link, I'm not done with 8 yet.
I'm trying to avoid anything to do with late game events, but even from the tiny amount I read it's almost certainly your run of the mill content farm piece more interested in the search engine hits from referencing multiple franchises with some light fan-theory-crafting from a site whose YouTube channel is an endless mess of list videos. "Here's what could maybe possibly happen one day!"

6. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that odd last point was a general scattershot and not aimed directly at me simply for disagreeing with your opinion.
I'm not entirely sure what the sentence was supposed to say in the second half. But based on the first half, I can't imagine people view TLOU as a Resident Evil fan's shame. They just disagree, and perhaps take more issue with the delivery of the opinion. But that's just a guess - you'll have to ask one of the "huge percentage" that's pissed off to no end.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Lmfao. With that story TLOU2 doesn't clear diddly squat XD
Best story in gaming only matched by RDR 2 and Bioshock, both of which dont have as good production values however

... Am I supposed to believe RE4 has a better story?
kaz.png

with a bland as hell ashley, a generic ass leon, and an even more generic villain? that plot screams VIDEO GAME story

3vzUa3e.jpg

PoDbb36.jpg

Add me to the list of last of us 2 is boring and badly written

Reactions: TGO
Best story in gaming only matched by RDR 2 and Bioshock, both of which dont have as good production values however

kaz.png

with a bland as hell ashley, a generic ass leon, and an even more generic villain? that plot screams VIDEO GAME story
As dumb as re4’s story is, last of us 2 is worse because the writers thought it was smart and well written.

fersnake

Why is there always a laugh emoji. Seriously, every first post on this forum has a laugh emoji.

Whoever did it, please elaborate what is so hilarious about this list.
always wonder about it kinda get annoyed by it but at the same time im the first to laught at some silly post xD

Vick

2. At no point did I say 2R was just 7 in third person.
Seriously, I didn't say even anything close to that. You focused only on a middle sentence and ignored everything around it. Context matters.
Apparently it does not, at all:

When you single out 4R as being a bootleg TLOU2 then post 10 clips that only showcase how the gameplay is vastly different and more appropriately compared to any number of other games, don't be surprised when someone disagrees with your opinions.

titanic-leonardo-di-caprio.gif

Here explained to you by someone else:

If you don't isolate just those words from the post and read the whole thing with context it's not a bad take either as to why it likely wasn't included here.

And the reason why it didn't matter in the whole Thread, starting with Hero_Select Hero_Select reply and likely most agreeing with him, lies in this:

"huge percentage" that's pissed off to no end.

But we can all pretend this isn't a thing. Makes no difference.

Couldn't manage to read the rest of your post as anything but a verbose equivalent of this:

Tc4e6ar.jpg

As again, we can all pretend the two games don't share the base for the almost totality of gameplay mechanics, we can pretend Capcom didn't bordeline plagiarized TLOU with Revelations 2, we can pretend they only "are aware TLOU2 exists" when citing the game as an inspiration, or that said inspiration lies in the "examples of positive representations of female characters" only, or pretend discussions around certain games and Naughty Dog ones in particular are bias free..

Hero_Select

we can pretend Capcom didn't bordeline plagiarized TLOU with Revelations 2
New Girl Facepalm GIF by HULU

No no no you were doing so well there for a while. What an absolutely ridiculous thing to say.

Revelations 2 "plagiarized" TLOU as much as TLOU "plagiarized" The Walking Dead and The Road.

TLOU1/2 have the same exact zombie/survivor tropes as the majority of games/movie/tv etc etc.

Anyway. Here's a cool gif of a game that's more fun and actually has an enjoyable story when compared to TLOU2:

Vick

No no no you were doing so well there for a while. What an absolutely ridiculous thing to say.
Debating the obvious in here with you lot.. as pleasurable as stubbing your toe.
Whatever guys you won, Capcom rules and Naughty Dog sucks. There never was a time when a game called Revelations 2 was released where two studios where simultaneously known by the entire Internet as CrapCom and Naughty Gods.
RE4R has better combat, animations, AI, stealth, companion etc. etc., there, bye now.

200.gif

Hero_Select

Debating the obvious in here with you lot.. as pleasurable as stubbing your toe.
Whatever guys you won, Capcom rules and Naughty Dog sucks. There never was a time when a game called Revelations 2 was released where two studios where simultaneously known by the entire Internet as CrapCom and Naughty Gods.
RE4R has better combat, animations, AI, stealth, companion etc. etc., there, bye now.

200.gif
done its over GIF

Soodanim

Gold Member

200.gif
I attempted an exchange of ideas and you either can't or won't read. Don't blame anyone else for you not backing your point.

You like TLOU2 gameplay more then 4R's? Great, no contest for that opinion, TLOU2 is worthy of praise.
4R likely took inspiration from TLOU2 stealth? Completely plausible and entirely likely, I never once contested that. I can't think of anything else that may have directly inspired it.
4R gameplay is largely a bootleg of TLOU2? That's a bold claim, and one you didn't back up.

Last edited:

Yoboman

It’s the safest, most curated, most by-committee list of the year.
Even the TGA nominees were more daring.
And the complete lack of Hogwarts in any list from relevant outlets speaks volumes. Not even ONE mention for the biggest game ever made with an IP 90% of today’s devs are guaranteed to have grown up with? Come on.
Bro the game was ass except for the graphics

You use curated, by-commitee as a negative seconds before complaining the most curated, by-commitee designed game of the year isn't featured

EDMIX

No RE4, no star wars.

yoda-fail.gif

FF16 and Starfield i can understand were flawed but what the fuck is wrong with Star wars or RE4? THAT is the kind of metroidvania they should be making as a first person studio. Cant believe they picked some indie games over those masterpieces in game design. GTFO with this bullshit indie worship.

I don't think anything is wrong with those games and shit even I forgot to list some of those games this year and its not like I hate them or something.

This might just be a situation where its a packed year and not everyone has all the time to go thru all the games (let alone a developer literally working on 3 games)

Hero_Select

I attempted an exchange of ideas and you either can't or won't read. Don't blame anyone else for you not backing your point.

You like TLOU2 gameplay more then 4R's? Great, no contest for that opinion, TLOU2 is worth of praise.
4R likely took inspiration from TLOU2 stealth? Completely plausible and even likely, I never once contested that. I can't think of anything else that may have directly inspired it.
4R gameplay is largely a bootleg of TLOU2? That's a bold claim, and one you didn't back up.
he reduced his argument in the end as essentially people saying Capcom is better than Naughty Dog somehow.

Then says RE:R2 plagiarized TLOU with no backup and calls RE4:R a bootleg of TLOU2.

Fucking lol.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Revelations 2 "plagiarized" TLOU as much as TLOU "plagiarized" The Walking Dead and The Road.

TLOU1/2 have the same exact zombie/survivor tropes as the majority of games/movie/tv etc etc.

Anyway. Here's a cool gif of a game that's more fun and actually has an enjoyable story when compared to TLOU2:

The combat in Resident Evil 4 Remake is dated.
Stunning an enemy with either a head or leg shot and then pressing X to kick them is not nearly as satisfying as all the melee options available in TLOU2.

They are probably making a conscious effort to not list remakes, original games only, because that is a decent standard to have and probably also because they don't want people thinking about their string of remakes/remasters.

Studio is obviously too inundated with culture warriors to ever put Hogwarts in a list like this. I doubt Octopath 2 makes even 1% of the industry top 10 lists, so acting like it was excluded is weird.

FF16 is a decent exclusion to note. I mean they couldn't keep it to 10, had to go to 12, why not go to 13 and list it?

I think it is a good list tho. I would cut Lies of P, am just super over Soulslike games unless they are like completely amazing.

According to many Souls hardcore fans, Lies of P is truly incredible. I've played the first two areas and can def see how it is easily the most polished Souls like. Visually and mechanically for sure. Good variety of enemies.

Just saying it IS probably that game..

Lets trade tags. TLOU 2 destroys RE4Remake in all metrics

One area Remake blows LoU2 away in is VARIETY. Glaring weakness of LoU2 is how there is TOO much of a good thing that it can become an issue. In thus case its the combat encounters. While the gameplay, ai and level design remain excellent you're still doing the same type of encounter in the first hour that you're doing 25 hours later. You know this is true man.

Re4 mixes it up. You're still primarily having gunfights but you're having to do them within a time limit, while riding on a mining track, while being bombarded by canons, while having to protect the girl, etc etc. They also mix in some non shooting stuff like when u play as Ashley. There are puzzles too unlike LoU2.

I love LoU2 but I hope they mix things up more next time.

GymWolf

kaz.png

Not sure what is worse, tlou2 having best story ever or rdr2 not having as good production values when the game is the single player game with the biggest budget of all times before gta6 and a number of microdetails that trump tlou2 100 to 1 in a gigantic open world map...

Last edited:

Synless

A flashy anime ass action game and another fucking remake. the horror
I’ll give you FFXVI.

However there is a small fucking irony that ND, a company that has remade two of their games, one that released only last last gen, didn’t pick a game that has been critically acclaimed for decades and whose remake released to critical acclaim as well.

Top Bottom