• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Live 2005 info and screens

DMczaf

210612l9.jpg
210612l8.jpg
210612l7.jpg
210612l6.jpg
210612l5.jpg
210612l4.jpg

* Freestyle Air: EA SPORTS Freestyle Control with the right analog stick continues to revolutionize your ability to play simulation basketball—and, now more than ever, it’s about expressing your game in flight. Become an offensive star with sweet new moves that you’ll only see on the NBA hardwood, including all-new dunks, jaw-dropping alley-oops, and adjustable jump shots in mid-air. Think the Pro Hop took hoops to a new level last year? New user-controlled put-back and tip-in technologies reward players who box out, wipe the glass, and go back up for a quick bucket. On defense, take more control over shot blocking to own the paint.

* 10-man Freestyle: NBA LIVE’s new iteration of revolutionary 10-man motion capture technology yields authentic plant-and-cut animations, off-ball animations that offer new spacing and eliminate on-court crowding, backdoor cut scenarios, and new in-air collisions and box out scenarios.

* Enter the Creation Zone: Fulfill your hoop dreams in NBA LIVE’s Creation Zone, which allows you to customize players, teams, jerseys, and arenas with the most advanced modeling system ever. Build the ultimate baller, make him look just like yourself and then try to lead your favorite team to the title.

* Comprehensive Dynasty Mode: Be the architect of your own unstoppable dynasty, and watch your franchise flourish for 25 seasons. Jump into games with simulation intervention, enjoy all-new free agency logic that puts your skills at negotiating contracts and managing the salary cap to the test, and use the customizable PDA to stay up to date with important league news, team information, special announcements, and more.

* All-Star Graphics: With increased resolution on player faces, jerseys, shorts, skins and tattoos, NBA LIVE 2005 raises the bar and offers the most visually immersive NBA game to date.

* Announcers: No voice says NBA basketball like Marv Albert. Teamed with on-air TV partner Mike Fratello, these two hoops veterans pairdish out the most authentic commentary available.

Create new ankle-breaking dribble moves, gravity-defying highlight-reel dunks, and tenacious defensive plays that express your individual style—all with a touch of the right-analog stick. All-new 10-man Freestyle implementation enhances individual player movements and floor spacing, putting you right in the middle of the action for the most realistic simulation ever created. Enhanced player graphics vividly reproduce each NBA player with the most realistic faces, hairstyles, jerseys, and shoes ever produced. A comprehensive offering of incredibly deep game modes, including Dynasty Mode™ and EA SPORTS Online, put you in the middle of the action like never before. Levitate and create with NBA LIVE 2005.

Fatalah

Can somebody explain this game's complete turnaround? I mean, it looks good, and people are saying it actually makes basketball on a videogame fun--which is difficult.

Maybe their Street series rubbed off on them?

New developer?

Fifty

Well.....The Lakers are the league's most popular team and everyone loves Lebron, so we'll take 3rd place! Yes we will..

shpankey

not an idiot
DM, on a side note, do you and FMT play FIFA? I was thinking of getting FIFA 2005 to play online this year (unless PES4 comes out on Xbox this year and includes Live play - which is all doubtful) but I didn't know if we have any GAF'ers (<-- lol, doesn't that meaning something else in Europe? --like father or something?).

Anyways, I am definately moving to NBA Live this year, since ID is no longer. I hope it rawks! :)

P.S. Those shots look sick. Got any vids?

EekTheKat

This looks a lot better than the shots that came out earlier this year.

Do they have the 3 point contest anymore in Live games? The last one I owned (before I crossed over to the Sega side) had a split screen 3 point shootout that was pretty good fun.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Looks like the models got pulled from the 'Good Times' oil painting. Why do football games look so much better than just about any other sport, yet it has the most amount of players to render?

I never understood that. Having just gotten ESPN MLB Baseball makes me really wonder.

DMczaf

I think the models look great this year.

Here's what they looked like last year

914787_20030709_screen005.jpg

The facial features have been completely redone in 2005

Takuan

Yes! I can't wait.

BTW, I was just curious how many people used the freestyle control? I was more comfortable with the face buttons because I'm used to ESPN.

210612l6.jpg

Hahaha monster MASHED.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Ewww... Those pics do look better than last years, but it still looks blocky. After playing that POS called Live 2002, I don't think I'll play any Live game again.

Ristamar

Takuan said:
BTW, I was just curious how many people used the freestyle control? I was more comfortable with the face buttons because I'm used to ESPN.

I use them all the time. They're very effective against the CPU and other players when you have a good ball handler, especially if he's quick off the dribble. The triple threat freestyle is the shit.

I certainly hope EA's QA does a more thorough job this year. I enjoyed 2004, but I often wondered if they didn't see all the bugs and dumb nuances, if they ran out of time, or if they just didn't care. Regardless, none of the aforementioned excuses are acceptable.

2004 was a great game... with customart, you can get models superior to even these...

i suggest anyone who lost faith in basketball games a few years ago to try NBA Live 2004 out...

DMczaf

Ristamar said:
I certainly hope EA's QA does a more thorough job this year. I enjoyed 2004, but I often wondered if they did't see all the bugs and dumb nuances, if they ran out of time, or if they just didn't care. Regardless, none of the aforementioned excuses are acceptable.

The two buggy games from EA Sports are NBA Live and MVP Baseball, which are both made by EA Canada.

Blame Canada. :(

we don't take KINDLY to soccer round here BOY!

jk shpankey, but honestly nah no one really plays soccer here on the boards. it's pretty much just the 4 major sports: football, baseball, basketball and deathmatch

shpankey

not an idiot
FrenchMovieTheme said:
we don't take KINDLY to soccer round here BOY!

jk shpankey, but honestly nah no one really plays soccer here on the boards. it's pretty much just the 4 major sports: football, baseball, basketball and deathmatch

Heh, don't get me wrong. It's all a new experience to me as well. But in these dark summer times, there just isn't SHIT on for sports.. and I am such a sport junkie, I've had to look to fubol to get some kind of fix. I normally don't like soccer, except I got into the last World Cup and am now following the UEFA Euro 2004 because it's on HDTV and looks fucking sweet on my TV. Not to mention, it is actually pretty exciting.

So, being an American, which means I am very topical, I rented FIFA 2004 and have found it to be quite fun. So I have decided I will buy FIFA 2005 as just a changeup to my sports gaming. It's actually quite fun.

The summer months can be brutal for sports junkies like me though. No football or basketball and baseball is ok, but I need more. There is a pretty thrilling excitement with UEFA Euro, as countries are playing each other and damn, the fans go fucking ape shit. Just look in the stands and seeing every single person wearing their teams shirt is awesome. And hearing their chants is sweet. It reminds me of Kansas basketball at Allen Field House where they chant "rock chalk jayhawk" (usually when they are beating down my Sooners lol). I admire a fanbase that is that dedicated to their team. I have a strange attraction and respect for a team that has that many people that love them so obviously much.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
oakdunk.JPG

How come everyone else on his team plays for the Cavs???? OMG megaton trade coming!!!

Ramirez

Looks sweet as hell to me!

Hopefully they turned down the number of blocks cuz that was the only thing wrong with the game last year aside from graphics...

Ristamar

Ramirez said:
Looks sweet as hell to me!

Hopefully they turned down the number of blocks cuz that was the only thing wrong with the game last year aside from graphics...

-And stealing the ball is way too easy.

- And teams perennially failing to resign superstars in Dynasty mode, or even pick them up as free agents (Vince Carter available at the league minimum. IT'S A FUCKING STEAL! YET THE CPU STILL WON'T SIGN HIM!)

- And the occasional glitch where you get fouled and somehow they end up with the ball.

- Or better yet, when you foul them before the shot, they make the bucket and are inexplicably awarded the points (WTF?!?), and to add insult to injury they get to immediately inbound the ball.

- And when your big man skies for a rebound, and some puny guard jumps into him SENDING THE HUGE GOON 3+ FEET AWAY FROM THE BALL as it pops into the offending guard's hands.

- And it's also amusing to see these same guards consistently plow through the lane and knock over forwards and centers.

- And CALL SOME FUCKING FOULS, for god's sake. I mean consistently, the sliders won't fix that crap. I'll get MURDERED from behind when I go up for a shot, but the refs must be ogling cheerleaders or some shit, 'cause apparently they don't see it.

- And how training can cause your skills to atrophy. Again, WTF?!? So if I spend time and points on a player to have him practice his shooting, he may end up with poorer defensive skills, yet if he never practices at all these skills will never decrease except during the twilight of his career? Riiiigghtt...

- And the intermitent lag in playcalling when you hit the d-pad and your players stand around looking at you like you just spoke latin. Dammit, if I say 'post up,' DON'T JUST STAND THERE SCRATCHING YOUR NUTS, FUCKING POST UP ALREADY!!!

- And fix the problem of players randomly acheiving light speed when they take off for a lay-up or dunk, or while doing a freestyle move. What the fuck is that about?!

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy Live 2004, but a lot of what I mentioned can be extremely frustrating, tainting what can be an otherwise enjoyable game.

Blackace

"- And CALL SOME FUCKING FOULS, for god's sake. I mean consistently, the sliders won't fix that crap. I'll get MURDERED from behind when I go up for a shot, but the refs must be ogling cheerleaders or some shit, 'cause apparently they don't see it."

The worst part of that is the comment "And he tried to adjust his shot, but there was just too much contact"

Ramirez

Good points,I also hate how cpu players won't rebound...but overall it was so much better than the trash that was ESPN that I overlooked most of its flaws :p

Ristamar

Blackace said:
The worst part of that is the comment "And he tried to adjust his shot, but there was just too much contact"

Hah! Yeah, talk about rubbing salt in the wound...

Oh, that also reminds me, if you're starting to win by a large margin the CPU loves to cheat. The lowliest scrubs will start throwing up and making the craziest shit, stuff that'd make even Jordan envious.

Blackace

Ristamar said:
Hah! Yeah, talk about rubbing salt in the wound...

When I started playing on the harder levels, when the CPU was losing they would just hack you and get away with it...while as you said start making everything...

"The contact made him adjust his shot and miss"

Well if there was contact call a phucking foul then!!!!

Ristamar

Blackace said:
When I started playing on the harder levels, when the CPU was losing they would just hack you and get away with it...while as you said start making everything...

"The contact made him adjust his shot and miss"

Well if there was contact call a phucking foul then!!!!

I also play on Superstar, and what you said is so blatantly obvious, it's not even funny. I'll catch myself yelling the same thing at my TV. I generally don't lose my cool while playing video games, but this one just hits a nerve..

Blackace

You and me both!! hahah However, it was a great basketball game... just with a few minor flaws... I could overlook because it was so damn beautiful!!!

Ristamar

Blackace said:
You and me both!! hahah However, it was a great basketball game... just with a few minor flaws... I could overlook because it was so damn beautiful!!!

Agreed. As much as I bitch about it, I've definitely squeezed a staggering amount of playtime out of the game because it is very good.

BTW, have you gone through many years in a Dynasty? It's interesting to see which players grow and develop. Dirk Nowitzki is now rated a 99 overall in mine... Larry Bird reborn!

Blackace

Ristamar said:
Agreed. As much as I bitch about it, I've definitely squeezed a staggering amount of playtime out of the game because it is very good.

BTW, have you gone through many years in a Dynasty? It's interesting to see which players grow and develop. Dirk Nowitzki is now rated a 99 overall in mine... Larry Bird reborn!

Well he wasn't far from it when it starts! hahah James becomes a nut down the road... kind of sucks from the start too slow... but gets pretty crazy.. I wondered if how you play with them during the season affects how they grow... (somehow I really doubt it...)

Ristamar

Blackace said:
Well he wasn't far from it when it starts! hahah James becomes a nut down the road... kind of sucks from the start too slow... but gets pretty crazy.. I wondered if how you play with them during the season affects how they grow... (somehow I really doubt it...)

No, I don't think it does affect them (only training helps). And you brought up another issue that bothers me. Year after year, why does EA always underestimate rookies? Their top custom generated rookies from year to year are often rated in the mid 70's, so why do the likes of Carmello and LeBron get rated so poorly, especially considering the 2003 draft pool was so strong?

Blackace

Ristamar said:
No, I don't think it does affect them (only training helps). And you brought up another issue that bothers me. Year after year, why does EA always underestimate rookies? Their top custom generated rookies from year to year are often rated in the mid 70's, so why do the likes of Carmello and LeBron get rated so poorly, especially considering the 2003 draft pool was so strong?

Well Carmello owned other SFs because he was so fast and could throw down... but yeah I agree... totally off topic... want to see bad rookies import your players from NCAA to Madden and watch your players in the mid 90s turn in to high 60s....

Ristamar

Blackace said:
Well Carmello owned other SFs because he was so fast and could throw down... but yeah I agree... totally off topic... want to see bad rookies import your players from NCAA to Madden and watch your players in the mid 90s turn in to high 60s....

Haha, I never actually tried to import them. I imagine that has to be disheartening. :(

I have noticed Anthony handles a little better than James, despite his lower ratings. In fact, I controlled the Cavs for the first two years, then went to the Nuggets, and I can say with certainty that I like using Carmello more...

Blackace

Ristamar said:
Haha, I never actually tried to import them. I imagine that has to be disheartening. :(

I have noticed Anthony handles a little better than James, despite his lower ratings. In fact, I controlled the Cavs for the first two years, then went to the Nuggets, and I can say with certainty that I like using Carmello more...

Me too... Melo is the better of the 2 in the game from the Start... but do about 5 years... and James owns... Other PGs are just too quick for him... James does ok at SG or SF where most of the players are not that much quicker than him...

pilonv1

*lights a candle for Inside Drive*

That list of features that basically amounts to nothing after a few days playing the game. Wow new dunks, more freestyle. Dynasty mode is broken? OH NOS! No fouls? FFS! I had that problem in Live 99 on PC. They released a patch and it still didn't help.

Live is so predictable. At least VC surprise me and take away different things I enjoy and add others I hate every year. This year in ESPN - we'll give you back defensive strafe and playcalling, but take away your ability to set a screen or block a shot! Those wacky ESPN devs.

Someone is going to have to try very hard to get me to purchase a basketball game this year.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
At least VC surprise me and take away different things I enjoy and add others I hate every year. This year in ESPN - we'll give you back defensive strafe and playcalling, but take away your ability to set a screen or block a shot! Those wacky ESPN devs.

A man after my own heart. I thought I was the only one that was annoyed by those things. And for the love of all things good, give me back my camera control options!!! My favorite view (behind the ball carrier) was taken out last year and it really killed the game for me. The game just came off as being unfinished.

BojTrek

Banned
I am not going to buy an NBA game this year until I rent both ESPN NBA2K5 and NBA Live 2005 and give them both one week play time.

EA is finally getting the faces and bodies closer to ESPN... Gary Payton looks really cool... even though he is probably done playing in the NBA.

Top Bottom