• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nearly a million Metal Gear games were sold in the last quarter of 2023

MASTER-COLLECTION-Vol.1_lineup-800x445.jpg

Konami has updated the total lifetime sales of the Metal Gear series, and as of the end of December 2023, over 61.1 million games were sold. That’s up 900,000 from their previous number, which was 60.2 as of the end of September.
Metal-Gear-Series-Total-Sales-December-2023-1024x201.png

It’s a significant boost from the usual numbers, the series generally sells between 200,000 and 500,000 copies per quarter. The reason, of course, is the release of the Master Collection in October of last year, which has been fairly successful.

This success should continue with Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater supposedly planned for sometime later this year (according to PlayStation, Konami itself still gives it a TBD release window), and possibly the release of Master Collection Vol. 2, although nothing has been confirmed yet on that front. Furthermore, a physical release for the PS4 version of Vol. 1 is coming out next month, but only in the EMEA regions.

When MGS4 is released in Collection Vol. 2 it will take the edge off not having Ps3 backwards compatibility on Ps5....But i wonder what chinese company konami hired to get it sorted out

Beechos

They are counting each copy of the collection as an individual sale for the games in it?
Prob on the xbox store you can buy each game for $20 individually without buying the whole collection. Most of the legacy MG games are also dirt cheap so I'm not surprised it sold so much.

Deerock71

FUCK YOU, THREAD!!! Because of this, I piled on and ordered the PATHETIC Switch physical copy. I just hope it removes the DREADED 'checking if the software can be played, Daddy...' message.

Ozriel

M$FT
The game people really want is MGS4, when that one is finally freed from PS3 purgatory it's going to be a sales monster

They’d have to remake it, though, with significant changes. A simple port might not light the world on fire in sales.
PC folks have been playing it via PS3 emulator at 4K for a while.

Sojiro

FUCK YOU, THREAD!!! Because of this, I piled on and ordered the PATHETIC Switch physical copy. I just hope it removes the DREADED 'checking if the software can be played, Daddy...' message.
Lol yeah it really sucks for us switch owners. If vol. 2 is on the OG switch watch the physical version just be a launcher for the cloud version of MGS 4 lol. It's such a shame what they did with this.

They’d have to remake it, though, with significant changes. A simple port might not light the world on fire in sales.
PC folks have been playing it via PS3 emulator at 4K for a while.
I bet its going to be a hastily emulated version of the canned xbox 360 beta….probably with worse performance than the native ps3 version

Gojiira

Lol should never have stopped being a PlayStation exclusive franchise. Just think, if Sony had funded MGSV like they did for 4, the game would have been finished and not the husk it is…

StueyDuck

I hate I bought the mgs collection because we shouldn't stand for shoddy work.

But... its metal gear, I loved every second replaying them.

Even MG2 which I don't think I ever actually played other than maybe a rom for a few minutes back in uni

Top Bottom