• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need Bluetooth adapter recommendation for PS5 controller useage PC

I’d like to start using my PS5 controller for PC games from my recliner instead of an Xbox controller since I play PC games on my TV at times. The PC is roughly 7 feet from my recliner so hopefully that is not too far for a signal.

I hear Bluetooth adapters are generally not great but if someone could recommend me one for my use I’d appreciate it!

After much fucking around trying get PS controllers working on various PC games I recommend using a Series controller. Not as good as the DS as a controller but worth it for the time saved not fucking around

Three

Just get one with Bluetooth 5.2 or above. I've not heard of any latency difference between adapters and pcie cards for controller use but the pcie might give you more bandwidth maybe, depending on what else you plan to do with it.

Honestly though I think this would suffice

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I've tried using Bluetooth dongle for controllers for some years already and they always have input lag, no matter how close I get since any surface in between can obstruct the signal even if just the desk table or my own feet.

I solved it by using a Xbox PC official dongle which uses the same communication protocol than the console and it's been great so far, the only issue is it randomly stops working every now and then, like every few weeks, it seems to be a firmware issue because an update helped some people fix it.

For DS IDK, but it's suggest going Xbox controller for PC anyway for more global support, 8bitdo has some Bluetooth dongles that seem to be great though, but as I have enough bad experiences with Bluetooth I avoid it like a plague so never tried it.

Sleepwalker

Check if your mobo has compatibility and get a wifi/bt antenna. Mine works awesome I use my PS5 controller from about 20 feet from my PC when gaming at the living room.

Svejk

The official Sony wireless USB adapter supposedly connects to a PC with all the features; headphone jack and everything... Problem is, they're no longer made and people jack the price up on eBay.

Three

I've tried using Bluetooth dongle for controllers for some years already and they always have input lag, no matter how close I get since any surface in between can obstruct the signal even if just the desk table or my own feet.

I solved it by using a Xbox PC official dongle which uses the same communication protocol than the console and it's been great so far, the only issue is it randomly stops working every now and then, like every few weeks, it seems to be a firmware issue because an update helped some people fix it.

For DS IDK, but it's suggest going Xbox controller for PC anyway for more global support, 8bitdo has some Bluetooth dongles that seem to be great though, but as I have enough bad experiences with Bluetooth I avoid it like a plague so never tried it.
The dongle and xbox controller has higher latency than a dualsense over bluetooth. You can run tests using the tool mentioned here.
Any BT 5.2+ dongle would offer good latency.

Kataploom

Gold Member
The dongle and xbox controller has higher latency than a dualsense over bluetooth. You can run tests using the tool mentioned here.
Any BT 5.2+ dongle would offer good latency.
IDK about dual sense, but I don't mean a couple tens miliseconds, I meant actual unplayable latency, like it felt 400 or 800 miliseconds when even my feet got in the way when I stretched them, it would add that much latency, the it was randomly showing some latency on normal gameplay.

I'm sure even Dual Sense would show that latency if you had same dongles I had, they were supposedly 5.0 but then I learned that 5.0 standard requirements lowered so most BT dongles are basically 4.0 or lesser quality.

Maybe the 8bitdo ones are good enough tho, I've seen only good comments about it, it's just that I'm tired of trying BT myself.

Crayon

You can fit more Bluetooth into a card compared to a dongle. Don't get me started on those micro USB adapters, they hold barely any Bluetooth.

I've only got like an eighth of bluetooth to hold, tho. What do you think?

Sony needs to release a dongle for the controller similar to what xbox did. I've had no issues with the xbox on PC, but the DS controllers work, but usually have issues or missing features. That might have changed as I think the DS is better supported now than when I messed with them.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Just buy a USB Bluetooth dongle. I have a tplink one that works fine. Just know that Sony either suck at drivers or they somehow think shitty support of their controller will make people buy a PS5.

GreatnessRD

The official Sony wireless USB adapter supposedly connects to a PC with all the features; headphone jack and everything... Problem is, they're no longer made and people jack the price up on eBay.
Which is crazy as I wanted to get a second one for my living room PC. Went to eBay and saw everyone was smoking big dope with the prices, lmao.

roxya

Most USB dongles BT5.2+ should be fine, the main issue I found is that there can be a lot of interference near the ports. If experiencing issues I'd recommend putting the dongle on a usb extension to get it away from the case.

Top Bottom