• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Couch PC Gamers - How do you do it?

Celcius

°Temp. member
I've always just had a single PC in my bedroom and then I use it for my gaming, watching movies, work-type stuff, etc... However, I'm getting more interested in the idea of being able to play my PC games in the living room on a big TV. For those of you that currently do this, what's your setup like?

Does your living room PC have the most powerful hardware in the house to run games but then you have a weaker/older office PC or laptop in your office to do non-gaming PC stuff? or is the office PC also powerful but built for non-gaming, i.e. CPU with lots of cores and maybe a low-end GPU? Or maybe you buy powerful hardware for the living room and then repurpose the old hardware for the office?

Do you just do ALL your PC stuff on the living room PC?

What if you like to play some games with mb + mouse and monitor but others with a controller and TV - do you have 2 gaming PCs: 1 in the living room and 1 in the office? Do you keep both at the same power level and/or upgrade them around the same time?

If you have multiple gaming PCs, does Steam keep the game saves in sync as long as it's all the same account?

Do you just run a long usb cable from the TV PC to your controller (i.e. dualshock 4 or dualsense) or do you use the controller completely wirelessly (xbox controller)? I've never had much luck getting Sony controllers to connect to my PCs wirelessly via Bluetooth and so I've always used a cable.

Is your living room PC a full sized regular PC? or is it a Small Form Factor (SFF) PC? or do you use a horizontal media box styled case?

Kenpachii

Super scuffed

Living alone atm, didn't use the living room much, so just dropt my laptop connected to my tv with a hdmi cable and chilling out. I ended up liking it so much i just kept doing it. love it.

Don't mind the left scuffed PC, its my streaming PC i am messing around with lol.

H7vWih2.jpg

Last edited:

Lux R7

So my gaming pc (gpu 3090) is in a cube-shaped case (Corsair carbide air 240) under my oled, i do everything wireless.
I also have a laptop (gpu 1050) for work and for some games (mostly strategy or isometric rpgs) that i prefer to play with mouse and keyboard, and it works fine for me.
Yeah Steam keeps the saves in sync.
I think it's perfect.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
The living room is adjacent to my office so I just pass a 16" HDMI cable through the wall. I game less and less on couch though. That Alienware OLED monitor is just so much better than my miserable Samsung TV.

Last edited:

Schmick

Easy.... i use a Steam Link (the old dedicated hardware Steam Link). My PC is in the office (several rooms away) whilst the Steam Link is directly connected to the TV in the lounge. The Link is hardwired (the only way to do it).

The Link supports both my PS4 and Xbox controllers and any keyboard and mouse.

Nowadays you actually cant buy the Steam Link from Valve anymore, but all you need to do is have a Smart TV (Android TV) and download the Steam Link app to it.

Again, if you use this system always go for hardwired (use Pwerline Adaptors if you have to).

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
My office simply has multiple screens on the desk, 1 tv and two monitors, the monitors are used for browsing/text stuff, and the tv is used for gaming/movies/productivity.
It's raised and on a swivel stand and I have a couch slightly behind my chair, to the side, so I just swivel the tv to face me when I sit on the couch.

I couldn’t get it to work reliably so I gave up.
I use a 5 meter long HDMI cable between my PC and OLED.

For controllers I bought two Xbox controllers with the USB Bluetooth stick.

Works mostly flawlessly.

The works mostly flawlessly is why I quit pc gaming. Couldn’t get my controller to stay connected the same way a console can. A console will never drop you controller connection. A pc will and then I have to reboot. Maybe I have to uninstall the controller and reinstall to much trouble.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

I have a regular desktop KBM+3monitor setup that i use mostly, but i often use steam link/moonlight to remotely stream to my gyms tv downstairs, not really a couch as i either stand or sit on a bench/tower seat, i use controller to play hades during long rests. It works well and i barely notice the latency because its on the same network.

Last edited:

GHG

4090 PC is strictly a desktop (desk chair also reclines though so is comfortable if I'm playing games with a controller on it), 4080 for my sim rig, and my laptop doubles as my "PC" for the living room. 3070 mobile so it's plenty strong enough for most games (although not at max or at native res). I have a compartment in the entertainment cabinet that I just place it in and run a hdmi cable from it to the TV.
I use one of these to control any mouse/keyboard functions from the sofa:

Rii (Upgrade) i4 Mini Bluetooth Keyboard with Touchpad, Blacklit Portable Wireless Keyboard with 2.4G USB Dongle for Smartphones, PC, Tablet, Laptop TV Box iOS Android Windows Mac.Black https://a.co/d/8R5hKyE

The works mostly flawlessly is why I quit pc gaming. Couldn’t get my controller to stay connected the same way a console can. A console will never drop you controller connection. A pc will and then I have to reboot. Maybe I have to uninstall the controller and reinstall to much trouble.

Honestly I've had nothing but issues with the newest Xbox controller on PC. Disconnect issues just like you said.

You'd be better off trying an 8bitdo or PS5 controller, not had any issues with either.

Last edited:

John Bilbo

I recommend using the Xbox USB stick for connection. It is plug and play.

John Bilbo

You shouldn't have to use an extra dongle to get a controller working on PC, it should just work with Bluetooth.

If he's going to have to spend money on that he's better off just buying/using a different controller.
That's fair. I don't have Bluetooth in my computer other than the stick.

Schmendrick

Long HDMI Cable + wireless peripherals + a couchmaster (if I want to continue using M&KB)

CYCON%C2%B2_Black_4-1.jpg

Switching is as easy as pressing a button.
However since upgrading to a 57" UW Monitor I actually rarely bother with my 77" OLED.

Last edited:
I just plug the PC straight into the TV, most games I play use a controller and those that don't have a wireless KB/M. really simple these days. Haven't used a monitor at a desk for over a decade now

reinking

Gold Member
I have always move the older PC to the TV and use an HDMI cable. I used to use VGA port back when TVs came with those. I have a wireless KB/Mouse and controller. I have been doing this going back to when they first added VGA ports to TVs but I rarely use the TV PC anymore.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I'm a 100% couch PC gamer on a high-end PC solely dedicated to gaming. Works great for me.
  • Playnite to bring all of my launchers/game library into one console friendly interface.
  • ReWASD to configure a hot key on my controller to essentially turn it into a virtual mouse. This is extremely useful in those small instances where you need to mouse through a notification or splash screen or whatever
  • I use an app called Wolow on my phone to turn on my PC right from my phone using Wake on LAN. This is optional but it's nice as it means you don't have to get up & press the power button to turn on your PC
  • I also have a Logitech K400 Plus lap keyboard/trackpad combo, because there's always going to be instances where you need to type something or just need the ease-of-use of a kb/trackpad. In the end you're still on a PC and you're never going to be able to just use only controller 100% of the time

With this combination, I'm able to couch game very, very comfortably, and it truly does feel like a console experience 90% of the time. It's also crazy to be able to access all of my PC games as well as all of my emulated games from one UI with a controller. Essentially playing NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, PS1, PS2, Dreamcast, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4, Switch, Xbox Series, PS5, and PC level games all from one system.

Here's a little crappy video I made just to show the experience a bit:

And here's a few photos of my setup:

53446607901_b660894724_o.jpg

53446988640_fb2beb7469_o.jpg

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I've dreamed of this for years. Moving the PC to the living room never seemed practical for me. Finally, I decided to bring the couch to the room where the PC is and placed it behind my chair. When I play on the couch, I use a gamepad and bring the monitor closer to the edge of the desk, moving the chair to the side. I wish I had tried it sooner.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
You shouldn't have to use an extra dongle to get a controller working on PC, it should just work with Bluetooth.

If he's going to have to spend money on that he's better off just buying/using a different controller.

Bluetooth via Windows is very laggy compared to the dedicated wireless Xbox dongle.

thuGG_pl

I have a long 12m (or 15m) HDMI optical fibre cable running from my PC to the TV. I also use wireless mouse and keyboard in case I want to use those in some games.

Last edited:

Denton

questions

I have been primarily PC TV gaming since 2013.

My PC is in the living room, in Silent Base 802 case (5800X3D, 3080Ti). This PC is connected to 55" Panasonic plasma and 24" NEC LCD.
For work I use company laptop.

For everything else (incl. writing this post) I use my PC+TV+Logitech K400 combo.

For 99% of my gaming I use wireless Xbone controller and TV. For 1% (last year, it was only for Industria and Command and Conquer Remastered) I use the LCD monitor and keyboard and mouse.

I have Steam Deck for gaming outside of home, and Steam syncs my savegames when I want to switch from PC to SD.

For me this setup is best of both worlds. Comfortable, and I get to enjoy all the perks of PC gaming (60fps in every game, mods, better graphics, steam features, customizability).

GHG

Bluetooth via Windows is very laggy compared to the dedicated wireless Xbox dongle.

*if you're using an Xbox controller.

There are no such issues with other controllers, although YMMV dependant on what you're using for Bluetooth on your PC. I've had no issues using the in-built WiFi/bluetooth that's on my motherboards/laptop.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member

There are no such issues with other controllers, although YMMV dependant on what you're using for Bluetooth on your PC. I've had no issues using the in-built WiFi/bluetooth that's on my motherboards/laptop.

It's not such a big deal in modern games..but when using Bluetooth for things like emulation, when pixel perfect platform jumping and timing are prerequisites...Bluetooth connections are just nasty.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

Senua

It all just depends how sensitive you are to input latency really, bluetooth works fine for most people.

simpatico

I did it for like 10 years, but bought a house last year that had an extra room for me to have an office. Went back to a desk and realized I missed it dearly. I had a hard time using KB&M on a couch despite a 75" screen and a bad ass KB&M set up. RTS and strategy games were just non starters. Maybe I need glasses.

TVexperto

Long HDMI Cable + wireless peripherals + a couchmaster (if I want to continue using M&KB)

CYCON%C2%B2_Black_4-1.jpg

Switching is as easy as pressing a button.
However since upgrading to a 57" UW Monitor I actually rarely bother with my 77" OLED.
but the wireless connection to pc in another room must be laggy or?

El Muerto

I use a PC as a steam link in my living room and have been since the steam link device discontinued. I dropped ethernet in my walls. Bought a old SFF workstation, popped a RX6400 for roms, and installed steam link on it. I play almost exclusively in my living room. I'm getting 5-10ms of lag which isnt bad, that's like having your game system go through 2 hdmi extenders, but i really never had problems in games. Beat several souls like games without issues. I have had good luck with powerline adapters if you are unable to run ethernet in your walls.

Not entirely the same as I have a dedicated mancave but I use a 5m hdmi cable to my couch TV. Pc is next to a desk in the same room. Bought a Asus 4090 especially because they have 2 hdmi outputs, so no switching between the slammer oled on the desk. Just a wireless keyboard and a mouse + xbox controller and you're off. I never have had one connection issue with the Xbox controller and I just use the Bluetooth from the motherboard.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Main PC 5800x and 6900XT is in the living room hooked up to the 65" QLED. Mainly use a combo of Xbox series, dualsense and wired 360 controllers. I have a coffee table that raises up if I want to play with mouse and keyboard. Racing wheel set-up is used purely with VR in a corner on the same wall as the TV. I have a 16" portable 1440p 120Hz monitor that I use if the family are using the TV. I can also stream to my old 1080p TV's upstairs with moonlight and sunshine.

StereoVsn

I have a fiber hdmi cable running from Office to my basement entertainment setup as the office is close.

It’s close enough that controllers work (Xbox One with MS dongle or 8bitdo with their dongle) and I have the wireless Razer turret KBM setup that I switch between PC and XSX.

Edit: Been thinking of building just living room setup and separate smaller PC mainly for strategy and FPS where I prefer full KBM setup.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

Long HDMI from office to living room.

Control the PC with another small low powered laptop, running Parsec, plugging a controller in and basically using that laptop as a controller. Works surprisingly perfect.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Personally I've had reliability issues with bluetooth controllers before, including non Xbox controllers. So if given the choice, like with my 8bitdo Ultimate, I'll use the dongle every time.

CJ_75

4090 PC connected to Sony TV 75X95L. I am a Apple fanboy, the PC is only used for gaming. I primarly use the Xbox controller (wired) but for Playstation Studios games I switch to the DualSense (also wired). I use a Bluetooth keyboard and mice just to log in and start a game.

I have just sold my Playstation 5 as I never touched it since I got the 4090 PC. I am done with console gaming now (or perhaps I will buy the next Nintendo console). PC allow me to play Playstation and Xbox games in much better quality.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Super scuffed

Living alone atm, didn't use the living room much, so just dropt my laptop connected to my tv with a hdmi cable and chilling out. I ended up liking it so much i just kept doing it. love it.

Don't mind the left scuffed PC, its my streaming PC i am messing around with lol.

H7vWih2.jpg
Is this the attic from Neverending Story?

MikeM

My computer desk is beside my living room TV. Run a 15ft HDMI cable to my TV from my monitor. Wireless mouse, keyboard and Xbox controller. All I do is couch game. Win!

GHG

Personally I've had reliability issues with bluetooth controllers before, including non Xbox controllers. So if given the choice, like with my 8bitdo Ultimate, I'll use the dongle every time.

The 8bitdo dongle is Bluetooth though FYI.

It's the recommended dongle to purchase if someone is having issues with their in-built Bluetooth.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
The 8bitdo dongle is Bluetooth though FYI.

It's the recommended dongle to purchase if someone is having issues with their in-built Bluetooth.

No, I'm talking about the one that comes with the 8bitdo Ultimate. It is 2.4ghz (well, so is bluetooth so maybe it is). The controller does have the option for bluetooth as well though. There is a switch on the back to move from one to the other.

02-xl.jpg

Last edited:

MagnesD3

I have a wooden office desk and chair in the middle of my living room in front of my wooden setup that holds my tv and my pc with room for my consoles.

flying_sq

LTT has a great set up using fiber optic to connect a USB extender that I plan to replicate when I get my house. Right now though, I just buy a gaming laptop.

Top Bottom