• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need help: Anti-Virus is not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenchir

For some reason, anti-virus software just won't work on my brother's computer. I don't know what the idiot did to it. Something is stopping Norton Anti-Virus software, and even McAfee from even starting up. The programs start to load, but then shuts down automatically. I tried scanning it from safe-mode and it detected nothing, but that could be the result of not having updated virus definition since it can't launch+connect to the internet in normal mode. I tried Ad-Aware(updated) and it still doesn't detect anything. As far as I know, the PC isn't displaying any weird symptoms and it's not sending out anything to the net. Anyone have ever encounter this before? I don't want to spend hours reinstalling everything since I'm not using the PC(even though it's mine) in his room.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I actually had this problem about 4 months ago, something was stopping Norton from starting up every single time I tried using it. I used one of those online virus scans, got rid of some stuff, bought the newest version of Norton and the problem was solved. My virus subscriptions were about 6 months out of date because I didn't subscribe to the service after having the software for so long, so I just bought the newest version and plan on subscribing when my term runs out in 2005.

K

Kwokuen

Unconfirmed Member
If you're talking about Norton Auto-protect, I may have the solution for you. I was experiencing this problem a few months ago, so I decided to dink around with the startup programs. Go to:

Start menu -> Run -> Type in msconfig

After doing so, the System Configuration utility will pop up. Head to Services, and manage the "Manufacturer" names tab in order. Look for the ones under the "Symantec" moniker (The ones under my list included Norton Auto-protect, Speed Disk, etc.). If they're unchecked, recheck them, and restart.

A last resort option is to just reinstall Norton and/or Mcafee. I've done that once and it worked fine.

tenchir

Defensor said:
Try avast!

I actually had this problem about 4 months ago, something was stopping Norton from starting up every single time I tried using it. I used one of those online virus scans, got rid of some stuff, bought the newest version of Norton and the problem was solved. My virus subscriptions were about 6 months out of date because I didn't subscribe to the service after having the software for so long, so I just bought the newest version and plan on subscribing when my term runs out in 2005.

I realized I can just install other AV software and scan, but I haven't download them yet and will do it tommorow. I wanted some input first before I waste more time on it when it could be something simple.

I already tried Norton AntiVirus 2003 and 2004, but won't load up. McAfree 7/8 won't even install(it shuts up at setup) and when I tried to install it in safemode and scan, it detected nothing.

tenchir

Kwokuen said:
If you're talking about Norton Auto-protect, I may have the solution for you. I was experiencing this problem a few months ago, so I decided to dink around with the startup programs. Go to:

Start menu -> Run -> Type in msconfig

After doing so, the System Configuration utility will pop up. Head to Services, and manage the "Manufacturer" names tab in order. Look for the ones under the "Symantec" moniker (The ones under my list included Norton Auto-protect, Speed Disk, etc.). If they're unchecked, recheck them, and restart.

Already ahead of you. I thought it was startup problem at first and so I check startup stuff. But this happened to both Norton and McAfree.

A last resort option is to just reinstall Norton and/or Mcafee. I've done that once and it worked fine.

I did that a couple of time with each software, didn't work at all. I even clean the registries for Norton and McAfree and remove their traces..... still nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom