• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 survival mode + console = it is something else

keraj37

I used to try survival mode in Fallout 4 on my PC playthrough.
But I ended up adding mods after mods, like portable mattress for instant anywhere saving, adding fast travel etc, I just spoiled the intended by devs survival mode.
And I quickly lost interest in the game.

With new (very buggy) upgrade, I started fresh playthrough on my XSX and survival mode.

Man, it gives me the early childhood emotions, when I was playing some first ever games in 90s.

It can be frustrating a lot, since you will lose progress many times, just because you stumble upon strong enemies, and you couldn't find mattress or bed to save progress.
But also very rewarding when you achieve anything worthwhile.

The combat is very tactical for me now, I really look for best position and weapon before engaging enemies, since you can die easily, and lose a lot progress.
It is incomparable to what I experienced in non survival mode, you need to try and feel this adrenaline when you need to hide and wait 2 mins for your purified water and stimpak to fill some of your health, knowing how much progress, loot etc you risk if you die now.

Long story short - this is the mode this game was and should be played.
Recommended.

matthew perry GIF

Mooreberg

On my second play through of Fallout New Vegas, I enabled survival mode and found it to be a lot of fun. Other than the boss fight against Legate Lanius, which turned into such a protracted stalemate (he kept healing, and I had tons of stimpaks) that I used some bug where stacking mulitple land mines together would send him flying forty feet into the air, with his return landing providing the killing blow. Not sure I'd replay any of the other games in a survival mode, but it was pretty cool in New Vegas.

For those interested, the Fanatical Fallout Bundle has been extended, most likely due to the show's explosive popularity (another thing I need to catch up on). This time you can get it for $22.49 with the promo code OMEN10. Still on the fence with this one... I'd be starting from scratch with each game, but Steam does seem like the place to have a full franchise a click away, especially if going through everything might be a year plus endeavor. Although this would become the first time I can recall owning a single game on four "platforms" - I bought Fallout 76 on PlayStation for $10 back when it was in flop mode, just redeemed the Prime Gaming offers for a free copy on XBox and Windows Store (ugh), and would then own it on Steam as well. Sounds like the game has improved so I'll try it out, eventually.

In the meantime, I got Starfield for $24 from a third party seller on Walmart.com, and the expansion pass from Walmart brick and mortar for $20. I'll try to start that in June maybe. Everybody says that game is awesome, right?

2579989_1_lg.jpg

Dr.Morris79

And that is the beauty of it, the price is just few broken pads thrown on the wall, and waking up wife screaming insults in the middle of the night.
It's a nightmare! I swore of this game as I had a game breaking bug on the Series X last year, the whole east side of the map locked the console up, every save was knackered..

I tried this new patch, on a newer Series X.. and I'm hooked again.

Currently going between this and Stellar blade.

Strategize

On paper sure, but the game is just too unstable for me to play without the normal saving. If had confidence I wouldn't die to some unbalanced bullshit or some quest bugged out that I need console commands to fix or the game crashing or losing your companions randomly because they got stuck in a building or died from fall damage somewhere and you didn't pick them up etc.

Last edited:

Hemingwayoffbase

Gold Member
I’m also playing on survival right now and it is amazing.

Base game becomes boring because all of the junk around basically becomes worthless and you stop engaging with the world after like 12 levels.

On survival, every room, every piece of scrap, every fight matters. It’s incredible!

Last edited:

keraj37

I’m also playing on survival right now and it is amazing.

Base game becomes boring because all of the junk around basically becomes worthless and you stop engaging with the world after like 12 levels.

On survival, every room, every piece of scrap, every fight matters. It’s incredible!
jenn-jenn-robbins.gif

scydrex

Need to finish this game. First playthrough on survival in 2020 and stopped playing it.

Last edited:
Surival since the Jsawyer mod in Vegas has been the best way to play Fallout. Since starting in then, I've always played it that way. That said, you should absolutely be able to save whenever you want. Screw the system they chose for Fallout 4. Slight mods make the mode way better.

Gojiira

Banned
Nope, its easily cheesed. Sure its fine and definitely the best way to play F4…But its still F4 which is meh anyway so

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Damn, you guys are making me want to play this on survival now....can I switch at any point or does it have to be set at the beginning of the game?

Can't play it without survival mode. On normal modes it is way too easy and I lose interest right away. Although when you hit lvl40, survival mode is pretty easy too.

How is it when it comes to features like weather?

I liked Skyrim survival mode but my biggest gripe with it was that your character, regardless of racial choice or gear, was almost always on the verge of freezing to death. When it came to weather it felt like not much thought was put into it and instead it was just added over the entire map without considering much else. As someone who lives in a place that experiences winter, you become accustomed to the weather when in such an environment. A clear sunny sky on a 30F/-1C winter day, with barely any wind, would not be considered freezing weather when fully geared and constantly walking/running.

Top Bottom