• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need Help Deciding On Either a DLP or LCD Front Projector

Leguna

Banned
I’m building a theater room and so I’m buying a front projector to play my next gen videogames and watch my DVD movies on a 100” picture (I don't plan on ever watching TV on it), but I can’t decide whether to go DLP or LCD.

I am planning on playing mostly next generation videogames (PS3, Xbox360, Revo) on the projector, so should I go DLP or LCD??? Thanks in advance.

teiresias

DLPs have better blacks and less screen door effect than LCDs, though the newer, higher resolution LCDs are mitigating the screen door issues and many are coming with adjustable irises that are helping the black levels.

If you're going with DLP I'd recommend at least seeing the one you're considering buying first to make sure you don't see rainbows easily - that's why I can't use DLPs, headache city.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
The best advice is to just go to a high-end home theater store and watch both for a while yourself. That's the only way you can tell what looks best for you.

Leguna

Banned
teiresias:
What do I look for on the spec sheet of an LCD projector to see if the "screen door" and "black level" adjustment thing is of the newer/high resolution?

Nerevar:
Yeah, i need to, but I don't have any locally.

teiresias

Leguna said:
teiresias:
What do I look for on the spec sheet of an LCD projector to see if the "screen door" and "black level" adjustment thing is of the newer/high resolution?

The higher the resolution the smaller the pixels necessarily have to be and, generally, the smaller the gaps between the pixels (though not always).

I have no idea what your budget is, but some of the current "hot projectors" in the LCD realm are the Sanyo PL-Z3 and the Panasonic AE700. I think they're in the realm of $2500. I know very little about the latest DLP offerings though.

I think the LCDs are just now getting to resolution that will natively support 720p (the previous models were only like 500-something vertical lines of resolution).

As was said, getting to a HT-centric store and seeing some offerings for yourself is the best thing - just be aware you'll probably be screening them under optimal (no ambient light) conditions at the store and need to take into consideration where you'll be using the projector - how much light control you have, etc.

Rainbows and screendoor effect are very subjective image quality issues. Usually, to get rid of screendoor on LCDs it is recommended to sit at least 1.5x the screen width away from the screen. There's not really any such advice for rainbows, rainbows are aided by getting DLPs with faster color wheels however.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
and take a console. DLP lag is a problem - it's a delay caused by scaling 480i and sometimes 480p signals. But it is easily tested. Take an HD console and a fighting game. Test 480i and 480p - the 720p and 1080i stuff "should" be fine. If there's a delay when you press kick, that's lag.

AB 101

Banned
Well, I have a Sammy DLP and just love it. There do seem to be a couple of new LCD projectors that have been getting a fair bit of talk.

When I bought 6 months ago, the DLP just had the better picture to me at least.

Leguna

Banned
TO ALL:
My budget is $1000-$2500, no more, no less. Sounds like i should be going LCD. Seems the technology with LCD is about to surpass the DLP technology.

acidviper

Banned
Nerevar said:
The best advice is to just go to a high-end home theater store and watch both for a while yourself. That's the only way you can tell what looks best for you.

Exactly. If you can't preview it ask a large chain to have them bring in a demo. If its a quality company they will gladly do it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Leguna said:
teiresias:

Panasonic AE700 on the spec sheet :p

GeoNeo

I disagree.
You should wait until after the Cedia 2005 Expo. It runs from Sept. 6. - 10. The new models will be shown, and prices on the old models might fall.

newsguy

teiresias said:
Are there still vertical banding issues on the AE700?

Yes. I recently upgraded to a Z3 and while the High Def image is brilliant, DVD's looked sharper on my lower resolution Z1. The iris control is hot and the screendoor is not an issue beyond about 7 ft. of a 92" image (YMMV of course). People at AVS swear upon the infocus 4805 for it's awesome contrast and black levels, but at your budget I would look at a 720p projector. Also, for a 100" image you will need complete light control in this price range.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
sp7205-front-large.jpg

This will be mine in November. Period. Ridge Racer 6, PGR3, OR2, F-zeroGX, HERE I CUM!

MSRP (USD) : $ 6,999
Brightness (Lumens) : 1100 ANSI
Eco-Mode (Lumens): 970 ANSI
Contrast: ANSI:
450:1
Full On/Off: 2800:1
Weight: 9.5 lbs.
Size (inches) (HxWxD) : 4.3 x 13.8 x 12.8
Throw Dist (feet) : InFocus ScreenPlay 7210 Projection Calculator 5.0 - 25.0
Image Size (inches) : 33.1 - 206.1
Lens: Focus:
Manual
Zoom: Manual, 1.25:1
Optional Lenses: No
Digital Zoom: No
Keystone Correction: Digital H+V
Lens Shift: No
Compatibility: HDTV:
1080p, 1080i, 720p
576p, 576i
EDTV/480p: Yes
SDTV/480i: Yes
Component Video: Yes
Video: Yes
Digital Input: M1-DA(P&D)
Personal Computers: Yes
Networking: Wired:
No
Wireless: No

Warranty: 2 Years
Lamp: Type:
250W UHP
Life: 2000 hours
Eco-Mode Life: 3000 hours
Quantity: 1
Display: Type:
DLP (1)
Color Wheel Segs: 7
Color Wheel Speed: 5x
Native: 1280x720 Pixels
Maximum: 1280x1024 Pixels
Aspect Ratio: 16:9 (WXGA)
Performance:
H-Sync Range: **
V-Sync Range: **
Pixel Clock: **
Speakers: **
Max Power: **
Voltage: 100V - 240V
FCC Class: B
Audible Noise: **
Special: **

"DC3 (DarkChip 3) DLP chip.Exclusive to InFocus ScreenPlay, the projector offers FLI2310(TM) DCDI, the latest generation of award-winning technology from Faroudja, which eliminates video image stuttering, scan lines & artifacts. HDMI via available adapter."

Are there still vertical banding issues on the AE700?

Been gaming on one for over 3 months and haven't noticed it at all. Many people report VB at first, then it seems to fade over time. And Soul Calibur II in 720p looks amazing on this thing - can't wait for next-gen games....

I DO notice the screen-door a bit, but it honestly very rarely stands out. The Z3 is also a great projector for this price range - it took me a long time to decide on the Panasonic. I don't think you can go far wrong with either of them. On more tip from someone who has spent months there: The AVSForum people will make you crazy if you pay too much attention to their niggling.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I was planning on getting a new TV...but after going through LCD, Plasma and all that jazz a projector seems like a wiser bet for me. I've come to the conclusion that Sanyo Z3 is the one I want, only heard good things about it and it's quite affordable. I'm a bit afraid of DLP, after hearing how people get motion sickness from the "rainbow" effect. Also, DLP is way, way more expensive, right?

Looking at the link you posted, Klee...even though the Toshiba MT700 came out first, it's like 2 times the price of #2, Sanyo Z3. I think Z3 is more suitable for my financial situation. :lol

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
best way to test for your perception of a rainbow effect on a DLP is to watch a subtitled movie. The constant up and down movement with your eyes will let you know if you're annoyed or even nauseated by the effect.

best way to test how nice the LCD is would be to watch a fast moving action film. Even sports actually.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Kleegamefan said:
isamu, you should also keep your eye on the Toshiba MT700/BenQ PE7700 twins as well as the Sharp XV-Z2000....both are a fraction of the Infocus 7205...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=549660

http://ultimateavmag.com/videoprojectors/405sharp/

Yeah I know. But the thing I'm wondering is if the DC3 chip in the 7210(which the 7205 does NOT have) makes a difference in image quality. According to Kraz over at AVS:

About 50% more real measured contrast - brightness maybe but lamp variance comes into play.

If you are striving for a 12ftL screen that translates into 12/1200 = 0.01 ftL black vs. 12/1800 = 0.006 ftL black. So unless you do a stellar job in light control - including your rack LED - you may lose any difference.

What you should notice is that the SP7210 is dead on calibration and the DC3 mirrors should have less motion artifacting, and the lens should not have any slight bowing. I have a customers SP7205 that I need to do my incoming burn-in tests on - I may be able to provide subjective comparisons - but not very valid as comparing a new lamp vs. burned in lamp.

Is the $2K difference worth the latest that will be state of the art longer than already obsolete last years model? That is up to you and your wallet. When you buy a PC do you get the latest Pentium - or last years? Same decision.

But yeah the ToshMT700 is very attractive at that price range!

newsguy

Cormacaroni said:
The AVSForum people will make you crazy if you pay too much attention to their niggling.

Yeah, if you research there keep in mind that many posters there are videophiles and nitpick even the slightest of issues.

shpankey

not an idiot
EDIT: you can disregard the below... just noticed you were talking about Front Projectors. Although I think there is some LCoS ones, but I can't compare them fairly as I haven't seen any of em.

Neither... get the new JVC D-ILA (LCoS technology). I am dead serious... they are better than DLP or LCD imo.

Check out this thread...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=6004447#post6004447

Their 1080p sets come out this month and are rumored to be incredible.

Price is about the same as DLP/LCD so no worries there.

If you want, you can wait on the Sony SXRD (uses the same technology) which is supposed to be a little better, image quality wise, but of course more expensive. I wouldn't wait though... I'd get the G series JVC D-ILA (which is 1080p) and be in love.

On thing about the D-ILA's are the amazing viewing angles, which spank CRT Rear Projection, DLP and LCD sets. They are near perfect in this area. Also, the colors are the most accurate of any set I've ever seen. People who have ISF'ed them report that their colors were actually 'perfect' and didn't need any adjustments.

If you can, go to Best Buy and view one of these (they have the 720p sets there now) and you will instantly notice it is superior that all the other DLP/LCD/Rear Projections in the store... I mean, you will NOTICE it immediately. It's a pretty big difference imo.

Top Bottom