• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2013 Awards

inky

Mario over Zelda is surprising, but it was so damn close I guess it doesn't really matter. Also, you failed Dota GAF, you failed miserably :p

Now to check the rest of the stats.

Gartooth

Great results and an even greater job by those who put it together! I think everyone saw TLOU winning by a mile, but it was well deserved.

Fellow tastemakers who I do not recognise as our paths cross rarely, but who in turn chose wisely (those with Dark Arisen on their list get special treatment):

This recommendations list is interesting:

Wonderful 101 not making my top ten recommendations is the beginning of the Platinum Bro Alliance divide. Clearly I should skip it.
That's how I felt about this zelda before I had a friend literally beg me to play it.

It's really good.

So 3/10 of GAF's games were on my list and in reverse order too. Well could be worse I guess.

High Quality Award list seems a lot more palatable.

1. [360][PS3] Grand Theft Auto V (Adventure) = 14 points
2. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (Adventure) = 10 points
3. [NWU] Super Mario 3D World (Platform) = 8 points
4. [PC] Dota 2 (Strategy) = 6 points, 1 honorable mention
5. [360][PS3][PC] DmC: Devil May Cry (Action) = 6 points
6. [360][PS3][PC] Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (Adventure) = 5 points, 1 honorable mention
7. [3DS] Fire Emblem Awakening (RPG) = 4 points, 1 honorable mention
8. [NWU] The Wonderful 101 (Action) = 4 points, 1 honorable mention
9. [PS3] Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix (RPG) = 4 points
10. [360][PS3][PC] Rocksmith 2014 (Rhythm) = 4 points

This is a surprisingly good recommendation list. I played some of these games already and while not putting them on my GOTY list I certainly wasn't absolutely disgusted by what I played. A lot of safe picks for something I might think is ok.

Although it includes Nintendo franchises, which I never play.

Happy to see Bioshock Infinite at #2 - I wasn't sure how it would do on GAF with all the backlash over the last half of the year. I guess it was just a loud vocal minority. :p

Bioshock Infinite was my GOTY.

Empty

love all the data in gaf goty stuff. great work.

personal recs

1. [360][PS3] Grand Theft Auto V (Adventure) = 11 points
2. [PS4] Resogun (Shooter) = 7 points
3. [PS3] Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (RPG) = 6 points
4. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][NWU][PC] Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Adventure) = 6 points
5. [PS3] Puppeteer (Platform) = 5 points
6. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (Adventure) = 5 points
7. [360][PS3][PC] Tomb Raider (Adventure) = 5 points
8. [PSV] Killzone: Mercenary (FPS) = 5 points
9. [PS4] Killzone: Shadow Fall (FPS) = 4 points, 1 honorable mention
10. [PS3][PSV][PC] Hotline Miami (Action) = 4 points

some interesting stuff. i bought ninokuni in the psn sales, just need to clear some space for it (in both senses heh). don't really have much interest in gta, maybe i should. love the look of resogun but don't own a ps4 yet. hate assassins creed. played hotline miami, loved it. playing zelda, loving it. keep forgetting about pupeteer (ps+ plz), would like to try tomb raider (ps+ plz), and the vita killzone (p...you get the picture).

Gartooth

I'm stunned that Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon didn't get more nominations with only 161 points. It might have been because there was a plethora of great 3DS / Nintendo games this year which kept the community divided, but for me that was one of the standout 3DS games.
Luigi can't even win in his own year. :p

How did I totally miss the voting?! No Metro Last Light on this list makes me sad :(

Otherwise, great list GAF!

It was the 2nd best FPS of the year! I'm not surprised it didn't make the list. Quite depressing mood, need a good graphics card for it, not really a pick-up-and-play kind of game, more methodical and stealthy playstyle recommended.

antitrop

Guess the Bioshock Infinite backlash really is just the vocal minority. Great game, and great pick for #2, as #1 was never in question.

Really nice list all around.

so1337

Holy shit, the top 4 of my recommendations are games that I own and wanted to play but didn't get to in time. That's kind of scary. :D

so1337
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97451090&postcount=1690
1. [3DS] Fire Emblem Awakening (RPG) = 13 points
2. [3DS] Pokémon X/Y (RPG) = 10 points, 1 honorable mention
3. [NWU] Pikmin 3 (Strategy) = 9 points, 1 honorable mention
4. [3DS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies (Adventure) = 7 points, 1

My recommended list:

1. [NWU] The Wonderful 101 (Action) = 11 points
2. [NWU] Super Mario 3D World (Platform) = 9 points Nah
3. [360][PS3] Grand Theft Auto V (Adventure) = 9 points Currently playing
4. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (Adventure) = 8 points Someday I'm gonna buy a 3DS for this, Fire Emblem, Tensei IV and all the other JRPG goodness
5. [PS3] Tales of Xillia (RPG) = 7 points Bought on the last sale
6. [PSV] Tearaway (Platform) = 6 points Was already on my wishlist, next EU sale I'm gonna bite so I don't get depressed
7. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][NWU][PC] Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Adventure) = 4 points Got AC3 during the Hong Kong leak and I still regret it
8. [PC] Gone Home (Adventure) = 4 points Was already on my wishlist, next Steam sale it is
9. [360][XB1][PS3][PSV][PS4][NWU][PC] Rayman Legends (Platform) = 4 points Nah
10. [360][PS3] Anarchy Reigns (Action) = 3 points, 1 honorable mention Currently playin-THIS MY THIS MY CITY ALL MY GANGSTAS MAYNE ARE YOU WITH ME

A few years from now, when prices go down, I'm gonna buy a WiiU just to play 101. I promise.

And again, awesome work guys.

Diamond

Some good fellows on my list, including Mr. Kabouter who had a cool top 10 presentation. You all have refined tastes guys, congrats ! I noted that I also appear on the lists of fine people like Rez or Lime who I enjoy reading on GAF.

We can agree or disagree on the choices, but this year's thread was, in any case, particularly interesting to read and watch, I hope the trend continues in 2014.

Tuck

Glad to see Fire Emblem get the recognition it deserved. Agree with TLOU for the top spot. Seems like a solid list, though if GTA 5 is anything like GTA 4, it shouldn't be on there.

Yawnier

Banned
I'm a bit surprised that Bioshock Infinite got #2 after some of the backlash it got last year, must just be a loud vocal minority akin to MGS4 or whatever. I also had a sinking feeling that TLOU would come in first but not with a landslide victory like that. Nice and good on you ND for creating such as a great game, also I'm a bit surprised that GTA V didn't give it more of a run for it's money either plus considering it was on two platforms with huge install bases.

Fire Emblem ranking that high definitely makes me a happy camper too, and looks like I need to play ALBW sometime.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm honestly surprised Bioshock made it into the top 5. Seemed to fall off the face of the earth after The Last of Us came out. Nobody cared about it or sung its praises just three months after launch.

There were 512 Dota 2 recommendations to 1027 people who didn't vote for it, a rate of 49.8%.
Tusen takk

Wonder how many people will actually try it.

Actually there is a project for someone. I'm sure it'll be a pain in the ass but you could compare the 2012 lttp votes to what the same users got in their recommendations list and get some sort of follow through percent to see how effective the recommendations list is.

So my top ten recommendations, and my comments in bold.

1. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (Adventure) = 16 points, 1 honorable mention Not a fan of the 3D Zeldas nor the NES Zeldas, but the series always managed to tempt me. I have ALttP installed on my Wii U, so if I like that one, I might try this one
2. [PS3] The Last of Us (Horror) = 15 points, 1 honorable mention Don't have a PS3
3. [3DS] Fire Emblem Awakening (RPG) = 12 points, 1 honorable mention Played it for 10 hours, loved it, dropped it, never touched it again, sold it. Now I want to play it again
4. [PSV] Tearaway (Platform) = 8 points Don't have a Vita
5. [360][PS3] Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Action) = 7 points Playing the Steam version, still don't have the hang of it, but I like it
6. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (Horror) = 5 points Didn't click with me
7. [360][XB1][PS3][PSV][PS4][NWU][PC] Rayman Legends (Platform) = 5 points Not sure if I'll get it on Steam or Wii U
8. [PC] The Stanley Parable (Adventure) = 4 points I thought it was alright
9. [PC] Dota 2 (Strategy) = 4 points I like it, but I don't play it much
10. [360][PS3] Grand Theft Auto V (Adventure) = 3 points, 2 honorable mentions Holding out for a PC port

Sanic

Surprised to see Bioshock at #2 (given the backlash and lack of staying power), and more impressed that enough people played Tearaway to get it into the top 10.

That said, list aligns closely to what I would have picked (if not in the same order). More people need to try Dota 2.

Actually there is a project for someone. I'm sure it'll be a pain in the ass but you could compare the 2012 lttp votes to what the same users got in their recommendations list and get some sort of follow through percent to see how effective the recommendations list is.

The data is there if anyone wants to analyze it further.

I'm honestly surprised Bioshock made it into the top 5. Seemed to fall off the face of the earth after The Last of Us came out. Nobody cared about it or sung its praises just three months after launch.
Maybe it would have kept some mind share if they released the DLC in a timely fashion.

Marc

Didn't see the affinity stats post!

Wow, amazing job compiling this.

And shout out to my GAF Bros:

Marc
1. LiquidSolid (89)
2. Deadceptor (88)
3. Valerie Cherish (84)
4. acevans2 (83)
5. BrainZEROX (79)
5. Skid 4 Dead (79)
7. Grisby (78)
8. Beysus (77)
8. SxP (77)
10. Lady Gaia (75)

Love the recommendations list as well, a lot are on my to do list or I am currently playing. In fact if I had gotten Ni No Kuni earlier I think it may have gone into my top ten list, at the expense of Tearaway likely.

Marc
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=96080950&postcount=1359
1. Guacamelee! - Own it, struggle with some platforming sections and kinda got pushed to the side.
2. Tomb Raider - Play some of a friends, pretty good but not really interesting to me. Seemed like a cookie cutter game.
3. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch - As I said, excellent game, looks amazing, character work is great, writing is very special but the combat sucks balls and drags the game down. Need to finish, but grind may kill my love.
4. BioShock Infinite - Finished it, awful game, relied heavily on its plot which had more holes than a cheese grater. I really don't get the love for this game, opinions man, how do they work?
5. Persona 4 Golden - Own it, lost interest a bit in it. Never been a big jPRG fan so this and Ni No Kuni even though great in most areas really do nothing for me with turn based combat and grinding.
6. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon - Own it, played like an hour and got bored, On my list of things to go back to and complete.
7. Spelunky - Not interested.
8. Gone Home - Watched a lets play of it, I would be pissed if I paid the money they asked for it. An hour and a half game with no game portions, incredibly easy puzzles and a predictable outcome although I thought they were going to go further and have a suicide.
9. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - Own it, pretty poor game, same as AC3 for me.
10. The Wonderful 101 - No WIiU and no plans on buying one, hardware is terrible anyway I look at it and I was very interested when they first announced. I haven't played a Nintendo game since the Snes/DS.
11. Dragon's Crown - On my to buy list, waiting for a price drop to justify it as I have so many vita games I need to complete.
12. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - No 3DS, no plan to buy one.
13. Killzone: Shadow Fall - Own it, terrible campaign, great looking although after playing Beyond I realised its not that great looking. Very fun multiplayer.
14. Remember Me - PS Plus'd but no time to start it yet.
15. Puppeteer - Played the demo and thought it was terrible, especially that fookin' cat voice... annoyed me after 5 minutes. No way am I putting up with it for a whole game. Rain is by far the game from what I have played, deserved more attention.

GQman2121

Banned
So TLoU ran away with it. Well deserved.

Shocked so many thought so highly of Tomb Raider.

Good job Cheese Time! Appreciate your work on this!!

BeesEight

BeesEight
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97599890&postcount=1872
1. [360][PS3][PC] BioShock Infinite (FPS) = 10 points
2. [PS3] The Last of Us (Horror) = 10 points

You don't know me at all, gaf. :\

3. [PC] Europa Universalis IV (Strategy) = 8 points
4. [PS3][PSV][PC] Spelunky (Platform) = 8 points
5. [PC] The Stanley Parable (Adventure) = 8 points
6. [360][PS3][PC] Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (Adventure) = 7 points
7. [PC] Rogue Legacy (Platform) = 7 points
8. [PC] Papers, Please (Simulation) = 6 points

9. [360][PS3] Grand Theft Auto V (Adventure) = 5 points, 1 honorable mention
10. [360][XB1][PS3][PSV][PS4][NWU][PC] Rayman Legends (Platform) = 5 points

Ah, now you're speaking my language.

It's a pity I won't get to play Europa Universalis IV for like four years because of Paradox's stupid DLC policies. But when I do, I expect it will be glorious. I'm a little surprised by the poor show from Saint's Row to be honest.

As always, timetokill and Cheesemeister, you slammed it out of the park.

eot

Banned
Not a particularly interesting list in my opinion, don't care for most of those games.

Passion Award
The top 20 games ranked by quantity of scores of "4" awarded in ballots.

Someone explain to me what that means.

A shame Metro didn't make it.
Would've loved to see Murasama make it at least into the vita-only list. More Vita owners need to check it out, without a doubt one of the very best games on the system.

Amir0x

Banned

Depending on how someone ranks their game on the list, a game receives more points. Therefore, that list shows the games which were given highest spots on the lists of the most amount of people. In other words, a list of games which most inspired people to give them top honors.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Not a particularly interesting list in my opinion, don't care for most of those games.

Maybe you could post calling attention to some of the games you do care for, or what you think would make an interesting list.

Had you done so, you'd have probably read how voting worked. Users submit a ranked ballot from #1 to #10. Games in first receive 4 points to the overall count; games in second and third receive 3 points; games in 4th, 5th, or 6th receive 2 points; games in 7th, 8th, 9th, or 10th receive 1 point.

Therefor that list represents games that people were very enthusiastic about. It's a counterbalance to titles that are very widely played but tend to get most of their points from just being on a lot of peoples lists, and reflect people's absolutely favourite games.

Ashtar

Terrible list, see that's why I don't vote!
j/p
Actually a pretty good list, I guess Bioshock was more popular than I thought I wouldn't vote that game for anything but I guess GAFFERS loved it

traveler

Not Wario
So much data. Thanks for putting all this together, Cheese and time.

Can't say I'm particularly surprised with the results. I am very happy to see W101 on the top list, despite its pathetic sales. Seems the passion of a few, relatively speaking, actually was enough.

TLoU in first and, for once, I'm not particularly bothered by the mass market title winning.

Dota 2 was lower than I thought it'd end up, given the number of people who dropped by just to first place it, but it is a PC exclusive, so I guess that didn't help. Both Dota and W101 are higher on the passion/quality lists than they are on the main list, which sounds about right given the dedicated fanbases.

My affinity list:

traveler
1. ShockingAlberto (118) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=96395012&postcount=1413
2. Magic Mushroom (117) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=95957458&postcount=1322
3. Struct09 (111) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=95738446&postcount=1247
4. EatChildren (110) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=95473987&postcount=1120
5. The Xtortionist (107) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94734775&postcount=812
6. AdmiralMikey (103) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97464305&postcount=1700
6. Papercuts (103) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97272995&postcount=1609
8. Creamium (100) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97594187&postcount=1848
8. JinjoUnchained (100) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94160566&postcount=406
8. LGom09 (100) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94092466&postcount=107

I actually recognize nearly everyone on here. Also saw myself on a few other lists while ctrl+f'ing down from posters I usually feel pretty aligned to in taste. While my list doesn't shy away from popular choices in general (I do have TLoU, Zelda, BioShock, and Mario on it after all) guessing some of the more "second tier" choices decided this- W101, Antichamber, and so on.

Recommendations:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97626932&postcount=1994
1. [360][PS3] Grand Theft Auto V (Adventure) = 9 points
2. [PC] Gone Home (Adventure) = 6 points
3. [360][PS3][PC] DmC: Devil May Cry (Action) = 3 points, 1 honorable mention
4. [NWU] Pikmin 3 (Strategy) = 3 points, 1 honorable mention
5. [3DS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies (Adventure) = 3 points
6. [360][PS3][PC] Saints Row IV (Adventure) = 3 points
7. [360][PS3][PC] Call of Juarez: Gunslinger (FPS) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
8. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (Horror) = 2 points
9. [PC] Gunpoint (Puzzle) = 2 points
10. [3DS] Mario and Luigi: Dream Team (RPG) = 2 points
11. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Simulation) = 2 points
12. [360][XB1][PS3][PSV][PS4][NWU][PC] Rayman Legends (Platform) = 2 points
13. [360][PC] State of Decay (Horror) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention
14. [360][PS3][PC] Tomb Raider (Adventure) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention
15. [PC] Volgarr the Viking (Platform) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention
16. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][NWU][PC] Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Adventure) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention
17. [PSV] Tearaway (Platform) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention
18. [3DS] Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move (Puzzle) = 1 point
19. [XB1] Dead Rising 3 (Horror) = 1 point
20. [PS3] Puppeteer (Platform) = 1 point
21. [IOS] Device 6 (Adventure) = 1 point
22. [PC] Rogue Legacy (Platform) = 1 point
23. [PC] The Swapper (Puzzle) = 1 point
24. [PS3][PSV][PC] Spelunky (Platform) = 1 point
25. [360][PS3][PC] Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (FPS) = 0 points, 2 honorable mentions
26. [PS3] God of War: Ascension (Action) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
27. [360][PS3][PC] Remember Me (Adventure) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
28. [360][PS3][NWU][PC] Batman: Arkham Origins (Adventure) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
29. [XB1] Killer Instinct (Fighting) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
30. [PS3] Tales of Xillia (RPG) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
31. [PC] The Stanley Parable (Adventure) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
32. [NWU] Lego City Undercover (Adventure) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
33. [3DS] Fire Emblem Awakening (RPG) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention

Not super surprising given the prevalence of these games on the list. GTAV is not my thing, to put it mildly, but there are plenty on here I've actually got on my to do list and Volgarr/Pikmin 3 especially would have probably made top 10 had I worked through the rest of those games.

Top Bottom