• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2015 Awards

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Someone posted the statistics on ballots that had only one game on them few pages back. You guess what the statistics were? Bloodborne had 19 of those while Witcher 3 had 17. So yeah I am not sure if your suggestion would have changed anything.
Secret Bloodborne cabal also voted for The Witcher 3 to hide their evil scheme.

Ultimadrago

Kudos as always to all the voters and everyone involved in parsing and presenting the data. Brilliant community effort that gets better every year.

So, with the full understanding that it's a collection of votes from an extremely diverse set of viewpoints and preferences and experiences and not a curated list, meaning that it's not like there's really anything to argue about in particular or anyone to argue with, just an interesting data set to examine and appreciate... all that being said and taken into account, as well as noting that complaining about any sort of entertainment media ranking is very much a fruitless, hollow effort...

The list is in the wrong order to the point of travesty. I don't have any strong feelings in reaction to the placement of anything else in the top 20 -- or top 100 for that matter -- and can readily accept how they all ended up in the spots that they did regardless of my personal preferences about the video games of 2015.

But.

It doesn't even feel vaguely plausible on any level to any synapse in my brain that what is something of an alternate universe followup to Demon's Souls where all the refinements of Dark Souls never happened, that also retains extremely problematic and fundamentally and continually painful unresolved technical issues that all contribute to placing it firmly beneath one if not two other games in its lineage, could ever conceivably beat The Witcher 3 in this list. It's sort of existentially painful to witness. I'll just leave it at that.

The call for my prediction post was a bit later than I expected, but I've got you covered, Evil!

Don't worry. I'm sure when Bloodborne wins on GAF, the remainder of the Internet will conveniently and magically "poof" out of existence.

These later pages have reflected the phenomenon aptly.

I think it's very suspect that many people came in and voted for only 1 game, which was Bloodborne. This is like ballot stuffing, where they only vote for one game so they can be sure that no other game gets points which could potentially raise their placement

In the future if someone just lists 1 game it should only be worth 1 point IMO

And I think it's very suspect that many people came in and voted for only 1 game, which was The Witcher 3. This is like ballot stuffing, where they only vote for one game so they can be sure that no other game gets points which could potentially raise their placement

Koh

I think it's very suspect that many people came in and voted for only 1 game, which was Bloodborne. This is like ballot stuffing, where they only vote for one game so they can be sure that no other game gets points which could potentially raise their placement

This is a pretty sad excuse. Go look at which titles had 1 vote ballots in their name. The distribution is hardly one sided.

Dude

what if the next souls project is in a scifi setting and gets released alongside cyberpunk.....

see you guys in 2017-18

To be honest I would kill for a Souls like game that wasn't in a medieval setting.

To be honest I would like a From Soft game taking place in a modern setting, taking place in a city that is being taken over by a cosmic horror or some shit.

It would be rad.

Lingitiz

True, but my vote was concerned with the open-world mainly. I think just that sense of adventure and the influence of slavic tales really pulled it ahead for me, but if there's one thing I didn't appreciate it was the story. I don't even care about the combat debacle, because none of the previous Witcher games combats were good anyways, so the fact that the combat was serviceable was a pleasant surprise. But if there is one thing I knew CDPR would not screw up it would be the main story, what happened was... the other way around. Everything was excellent except the main story (and the combat I geuss, but like I said I wasn't expecting it to be mindblowing anyways).

I agree with all the other villains you mentioned though, except Imlerith, he was like Eredin in that regard. I am surprised you like the Wild Hunt so much though, considering CDPR themselves have admitted that they were bad. Its partly the reason Gaunter is so excellent and why they also really emphasizing the villain in Blood and Wine.
God I really loved the main story in TW3. Yes the villains were a little lack luster but they were still menacing as fuck. Plus how often do you fight elves that are these giant muscle bound jacked looking monsters instead of your generic Legolas clones?

Also I thought the characters on Geralt's side were perfectly done. All the interactions with Ciri in the second half of the game were so rewarding.

True, but my vote was concerned with the open-world mainly. I think just that sense of adventure and the influence of slavic tales really pulled it ahead for me, but if there's one thing I didn't appreciate it was the story. I don't even care about the combat debacle, because none of the previous Witcher games combats were good anyways, so the fact that the combat was serviceable was a pleasant surprise. But if there is one thing I knew CDPR would not screw up it would be the main story, what happened was... the other way around. Everything was excellent except the main story (and the combat I geuss, but like I said I wasn't expecting it to be mindblowing anyways).

I agree with all the other villains you mentioned though, except Imlerith, he was like Eredin in that regard. I am surprised you like the Wild Hunt so much though, considering CDPR themselves have admitted that they were bad. Its partly the reason Gaunter is so excellent and why they also really emphasizing the villain in Blood and Wine.

Yes, the open world was incredible and it brought me back to the sense of adventure I felt in TW1, but on a much grander scale.

Idk I just don't see what you do with the main story. I totally get why you don't like Eredin, but I don't think a ton of exposition was needed there. The build-ups to the fights with Imlerith and Eredin satiated me in a minimalistic way that was a refreshing change of pace for a game mostly built around maximalism. It helped that they were pretty intimidating, especially Imlerith. Even if you didn't like that particular aspect, there were a ton of great moments in the main story. If anything you should be disappointed by the
Reasons of State quest.

To be honest in the case of TW3 and villains, I don't think they were really that important.

I guess there function wasn't who they were but how Geralt and the hero characters reacted to them.

That said I agree they aren't the most memorable villains, but Hearts of Stone really made up for that in that front.

Fhtagn

I just scrolled through 11 pages of the voting to check and it is absurd how intense the BB v TW3 arguing is getting when they both show up as 1 & 2 or 2 & 1 on so many lists (and both show up in various places on even more.)

They are clearly both well loved, there's no conspiracies happening here.

This is interesting.. I guess I was wrong.

I still think if you only vote for 1 it should get 1 point though.. but not sure if that would even matter?

That would be rather unfair. There can be a couple of reasons why someone would or could vote for one game only.
I was one of the few who voted for Bloodborne only, because I haven't played enough of any other game released in 2015 to give it a legit vote (in my opinion). I barely reached Velen in Witcher 3 and only did like 11 missions in MGS5.
The only other new release I finished this year was The Order 1886 but didn't want to list it as my number 2 because even from the little time I had with Witcher 3 and MGS5 it was more fun than the entirety of Order 1886.

This is interesting.. I guess I was wrong.

I still think if you only vote for 1 it should get 1 point though.. but not sure if that would even matter?
Why? I primarily played older games in 2015. I had to scrounge to even get 5 or 6 games in my list.

And several of those occurred in December. Near the end of the year I had only played maybe 3 games from 2015... I don't see why you should punish those who don't play many modern games.

benny_a

Let people vote for one game. This was already brought up in the voting thread but there are many reasons why one would not vote for many or even just one game.

In a year where the results are close, like this year. We're talking about a ~90-person conspiracy to swing a vote. In more usual years that number gets much higher.
This is not the US election equivalent where permed or temp banned accounts can vote without their consent. ;-)

Azzanadra

Yes, the open world was incredible and it brought me back to the sense of adventure I felt in TW1, but on a much grander scale.

Idk I just don't see what you do with the main story. I totally get why you don't like Eredin, but I don't think a ton of exposition was needed there. The build-ups to the fights with Imlerith and Eredin satiated me in a minimalistic way that was a refreshing change of pace for a game mostly built around maximalism. It helped that they were pretty intimidating, especially Imlerith. Even if you didn't like that particular aspect, there were a ton of great moments in the main story. If anything you should be disappointed by the
Reasons of State quest.

I tried to forget Reasons of State. Sigismund Dijkstra was like, my favorite character up until that point.
Quest was clearly rushed and the politics of The Witcher 3 were pretty weak all around compared to The Witcher 2.

JeTmAn81

If someone wants to vote for one game, they're giving up their right to influence other games getting on the list so that's a fair trade.

Artdayne

nope nothing controversial about this. Bottomline is gameplay should be above else when judging a game by. And Bloodborne is way league, head and shoulder above TW3 in that department

I disagree. I think the totality of the game should be above all else. IMO, Witcher 3 was simply a better game than Bloodborne, though I did really enjoy Bloodborne.

iz.podpolja

Neo Member
Let people vote for one game. This was already brought up in the voting thread but there are many reasons why one would not vote for many or even just one game.

In a year where the results are close, like this year. We're talking about a ~90-person conspiracy to swing a vote. In more usual years that number gets much higher.
This is not the US election equivalent where permed or temp banned accounts can vote without their consent. ;-)

Yeah, it's not like this is an actual problem, however it is a testament to hmm... how strongly people feel about their games.
With this kind of rivalry as we see this year with TW3 & BB, portions of those games' communities behave a bit like football fans (with even a smaller fraction becoming ... ultra-hools), which is kind of disheartening.

Sicious

Neo Member
Aren't we taking this BB vs TW3 argument a little too seriously?

In any case, if you really played only one game in a year, i don't think you should vote, because you literally have no other game to compare it with, meaning you can't really say that game deserves GOTY or not. But then again, who cares? It's not like this list aims to be professional or whatever, it's just the result of Gaf's opinions regarding 2015.

Let us step back and remind ourselves that this thread and the opinions within it don't actually matter in the long run, besides making people buy the games listed of course.

In any case, if you really played only one game in a year, i don't think you should vote, because you literally have no other game to compare it with, meaning you can't really say that game deserves GOTY or not. But then again, who cares? It's not like this list aims to be professional or whatever, it's just the result of Gaf's opinions regarding 2015.

So now 1 game voters have only played 1 game?
I have played tons of games this year and only incorporated 3 games in my voting. should have been 2 actually, 3rd vote got the same points as the 2nd vote, but I think one game is vastly superior to the other.

myco666

How many games would you require person to have played? IMO if you know your gaming tastes by having played multiple games in the past you should know if the game is something you would consider GOTY or no. Yes you might like some game more but then you would have to play every single release for you to know if there is something better than what you currently think is your GOTY and I would assume none of here has the time to play every release of the year within that year.

Haunted

what if they can only afford one game? are you saying poor people opinion worth less?
Wait, how would someone who only played one game that year be able to tell if it's the best game of the year without a frame of reference?

edit: I'm fine with people voting for however many games they deem worthy.

Nah i was going for more of a head to head type deal. Top 5 going by gaf darlings from what i learned would definitely be something like..

Uncharted 4
Zelda
The last guardian
Dark souls 3
Persona 5
Bookmark it one of these wins

Assuming Mass Effect is delayed, I predict:

1. Uncharted 4
2. Dark Souls 3
3. Persona 5
4. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
5. The Last Guardian
6. Zelda

spekkeh

Banned
How many games would you require person to have played? IMO if you know your gaming tastes by having played multiple games in the past you should know if the game is something you would consider GOTY or no. Yes you might like some game more but then you would have to play every single release for you to know if there is something better than what you currently think is your GOTY and I would assume none of here has the time to play every release of the year within that year.

Obviously your question can only be answered with some kind of heuristic of what feels right. Reductions to only one game or all games ever rightly feel absurd. Personally I'd say at least a triangulation of what are considered some of the bigger games, but from five or more games released that year, the ballot starts to become credible.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Nah i was going for more of a head to head type deal. Top 5 going by gaf darlings from what i learned would definitely be something like..

Uncharted 4
Zelda
The last guardian
Dark souls 3
Persona 5
Bookmark it one of these wins

You are taking the easy route. Stick your neck out and predict which one among these will win :)

Haunted

As long as we're still allowed to call out people who shit on the spirit of the whole thing by voting for ten games exclusive to one manufacturer.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Uncharted 4.

Strong choice. I think you will end up being right.

As long as we're still allowed to call out people who shit on the spirit of the whole thing by voting for ten games exclusive to one manufacturer.

I think for people who game only on Nintendo platforms, most games being mentioned end up as exclusives. Cannot fault them for that.

yurinka

kcDHmwG.png
So PS exclusive games + multiplatform were 70%+ of the games that Gaf voted as goty for 2014 and 2015.

And people still say that PS4 and Vita didn't have games and some wonder why PS4 sold like that.

Megatron

what if they can only afford one game? are you saying poor people opinion worth less?

Yes. Of course that opinion is worth less. How can you argue otherwise? If the only game you played all year is Tony Hawk 5, that's the best game you played in 2015. If you played 29 other games in addition to that, it's likely the 30th best game. I think if you don't put in a full ballot, your votes should drop a little. if you put in 8 it should look like:

1.X
2.X
3.Game 1
4. Game 2
5. Game 3
etc down the list. So your 1 would get the points of game 3 in a ten game list.

If you only vote for 5 games it should be
1.X
2.X
3.X
4.X
5.X
6. Game 1
7. Game 2
etc.

Just my opinion, but ultimately it doesn't matter all that much. It's just a fun exercise for forum posters.

The "rivalry" only exists because the games launched relatively close. For many who played Bloodborne before The Witcher 3, the combat in the latter fell very flat. It wasn't so much that they wanted Bloodborne combat transplanted into The Witcher 3, it simply felt lacking and less satisfying in comparison to them. Since they released a little less than two months apart, Bloodborne was still fresh in the minds of gamers who played both titles, so it was only natural for that to be the point of comparison.

A decent number of threads and comments regarding combat in The Witcher 3 began to surface—and have persisted—where this specific comparison is brought up. After a certain point, a lot of the more fervent Witchas began to take exception to it and lashed back at the Bournes. This all came to a head when the VGAs robbed Papa Bourne of a win and the Witchas ridiculed the Bournes suggesting they were an insufferable cult. A meme was born and Poe's law came into effect in many threads.

While this certainly riled up a few posters, it was merely a vocal minority. Many people who've played both titles tend to rank them highly and respect the opinions of one another. Looking at the submissions, this seems to hold true.

benny_a

I hope Megatron's idea never becomes reality. I voted for 8 titles, not because I only played 8 titles but because I don't think the other 20 titles deserved to be on my list.

Padding my list just to satisfy people that don't think I have the proper frame of reference for my own personal list and my vote counts less is very exclusionary.

I have to imagine the people calling for a change of "you need to play more than one game to vote" are new like me. Otherwise i see no need for anybody who's been thru this goty stuff before to want it to all of a sudden change now other than being mad what they wanted didn't win

Top Bottom