• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2015 Awards

kpaadet

The thing is we don't even have to compare them to old games. Let's take a look at the current list. I'd say most, if not all of the games above DD and Divinity have worse combat. (To various degrees obviously) Combat is not the only factor that can make make an RPG great. Nier, New Vegas, Persona 3/4, Undertale, Mass Effect, Earthbound, Planescape, etc. are generally not well regarded because of their combat even if you personally enjoy them.

I'd say The Witcher 3 easily gets more praise for it's combat than any of those titles do. In what world does Persona 3/4 have better combat than something like SMT: Nocturne? It is hilarious how some of you are trying to rewrite history to make it seem like combat is the only thing that matters and that just because you personally don't like a combat system it's the "worst" or we're making excuses. Give the hyperbole a break. Many people enjoyed the combat.
I don't remember saying combat was the only thing that mattered, only that it's possible to combine both good combat and RPG mechanics. And I don't think Witcher is as successful as Bloodborne is when it comes to that as well as many others.

I don't remember saying combat was the only thing that mattered, only that it's possible to combine both good combat and RPG mechanics. And I don't think Witcher is as successful as Bloodborne is when it comes to that as well as many others.

Okay that's fine, but many clearly felt that TW3 was able to do that so there was no need for the condescending tone about how we're making "excuses."

Robert7lee

Neo Member
The witcher v Bloodborne debate is one thing, both well made games, IMO what wasn't well made or polished is fallout 4. This should never have made the top 10, full of bugs, looks horrible and once again it gets praised. I hate the fact they get away with this EVERYTIME.

tuxfool

Banned
It is funny that some of these post act like just because GAF has ranked Bloodborne the game of the year it is now the only website that matters.

It could be to them, but then they needn't be quoting any other sites. They quickly would become disreputable the minute their worldview misaligned.

myco666

Shoulda also pointed out how the first half is heavily weighted toward strength weapons and the back half is insanely weighted toward skill weapons.

Oddly enough, the DLC has the same exact set up: floods you with strength weapons right off the bat, and gives you almost nothing but skill weapons in the second half.

That being said, Bloodborne was still my GOTY.

Weapon distribution was pretty balanced in the main game for Skill and Strength IMO. Pretty much equal amounts of choice at any point of the game with maybe one more choice for Strength. DLC is pretty much balanced as Strength first Skill last though. You get pretty much every Strength weapon in the first area.

Well, we don't really have to play every game, since we all have different preferences, so if someone has RPG's as their favourite genre it's kind of pointless for such a person to play a genre he dislikes or have no feelings at all(like sports or racing games in my case) just for getting more info about his possible GOTY, and that's simply because no matter how someone tries, a GOTY choice will always be subjective. So I think the GOTY choice should be made from a mix of games that share a preference with the player(favourite genres, developers, ips, whatever you want) and bigger games(and with bigger i don't mean necessarily hype, AAA games, just games that people are talking about a lot) just to see what's their deal.

This is also the reason I personally didn't vote. I've played like only 5-6 games this years and i missed some pretty big ones (MGSV started yesterday, Undertale, other shit), so i didn't feel like voting, since i aknowledged that some of them,according to my preferences, could have made a difference.

Well that is pretty reasonable.

joecanada

The witcher v Bloodborne debate is one thing, both well made games, IMO what wasn't well made or polished is fallout 4. This should never have made the top 10, full of bugs, looks horrible and once again it gets praised. I hate the fact they get away with this EVERYTIME.

Actually the witcher has its own share of bugs I have a whole list of vids saved on my hard drive of. Clipping in environment, gameplay bugs, getting stuck in environment. The real difference is that fallout 4 is more fun to play and mess around

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yep, Bloodborne's similarity to Souls is way too overemphasized. You may as well make the claim that Call of Duty and Battlefield are actually the same IP.

You strip the name from the box and title screen of all these games and I would load up Bloodborne and go, "oh, a Souls game by From Software" from the first second of controlling the character onward.

Now, strip the names from Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2, and Bloodborne, allow for a PC version of Demon's Souls in service of graphical ambiguity, and then have me tell you which order they were released in, and that would be much more difficult to confidently ascertain.

mstevens

People are really getting way to upset about things like this.

I'm glad Bloodborne won because it was my favorite game of the year, but I wouldn't be upset at all if the Witcher 3 won. Obviously tons of people liked it so I'm sure it's great.

Ridesh

Banned
Lol he said GAF would look funny if we didn't follow the majority, Whatever that majority is. Honestly looking at TW3 GOTY list, its hard to pick reputable sites from the list.

whisky.gif

Dude, don't do it, even if you ignore the 200+ awards that TW3 has so far, it has won like 70 reader's choice more than Bloodborne, you know, reader's choice like this one.

I mean, if GAF had not chosen Bloodborne, it wouldn't be in your 'reputable site' list anymore?

Teletraan1

Banned
Always interesting and thanks to all those who run this.

Interesting that I am in nobody's top 10 for affinity and my top 10 is not much of a match other than 1 person at 81 and it falls off to 60s after that. Although I did have a pretty niche list and did not include much that is in the top 10 outside of Bloodborne.

I agree with this 100%, so what if your game is huge you should have enough experience with the this style of game by now and that's not even taking into account the amount of times you have built other games using the exact same engine.

Fhtagn

You strip the name from the box and title screen of all these games and I would load up Bloodborne and go, "oh, a Souls game by From Software" from the first second of controlling the character onward.

Now, strip the names from Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2, and Bloodborne, allow for a PC version of Demon's Souls in service of graphical ambiguity, and then have me tell you which order they were released in, and that would be much more difficult to confidently ascertain.

Does this mean Shadow Tower is a King's Field game? Eternal Ring? Making divergent IPs with the same core engine but significant variations in gameplay mechanics is pretty much one of From Software's hallmarks. Bloodborne is a Soulslike, for sure, but so is Lords of the Fallen... which controls about as differently from Dark Souls as Bloodborne does.

As to the second point, I dunno if I agree: Demon's so by far the shortest of the four, and Dark Souls 2 has mechanical changes that make sense as an evolution of Dark 1 (and much like King's field 3 is a step back on the interlocking world design of King's Field 2 (just King's Field in USA) so there's precedent for that kind of backstep) and Bloodborne feels like a Shadow Tower; same core engine but important changes to the mechanics make it its own beast (no pun intended.)

Calabria

Banned
whisky.gif

Dude, don't do it, even if you ignore the 200+ awards that TW3 has so far, it has won like 70 reader's choice more than Bloodborne, you know, reader's choice like this one.

The difference is that this site is transparent about the voting methodology, point system, polls stats, the parser script being used, etc. Also voters are encouraged to voice their reasoning for each vote. And this site is very strict about users having multiple accounts and such.

Do you see any other readers choice have their polling system as transparent as this one? I'd like to see one

Majmun

Bloodborne is a solid Souls game. Not the best entry in the franchise, but still worthy of the Souls name.

It's a Souls-type game, but no Souls game. A totally different franchise.

It's like saying Lost Odyssey is a solid Final Fantasy game. Not the best entry in the franchise, but still worthy of the Final Fantasy name.

Eusis

I hope Megatron's idea never becomes reality. I voted for 8 titles, not because I only played 8 titles but because I don't think the other 20 titles deserved to be on my list.

Padding my list just to satisfy people that don't think I have the proper frame of reference for my own personal list and my vote counts less is very exclusionary.
Well, I can see the rationale for JUST one vote, but I'd think as long as someone had, like, 3 then tabulating normally should be just fine.

But I also think it's unfair to people who only really cared about one game that year. And given how it actually unfolded I think it won't make much of a real difference whether they're 4 points or 1, so may as well respect them. And maybe show a "what if" version where lists that only had one game were tossed.

tuxfool

Banned
The difference is that this site is transparent about the voting methodology, point system, polls stats, the parser script being used, etc. Also voters are encouraged to voice their reasoning for each vote. And this site is very strict about users having multiple accounts and such.

Do you see any other readers choice have their polling system as transparent as this one? I'd like to see one

SMH. In an earlier post you were condemning somebody for fanboy induced nonsense, yet here you are with insinuations of sites fixing the votes?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Does this mean Shadow Tower is a King's Field game? Eternal Ring? Making divergent IPs with the same core engine but significant variations in gameplay mechanics is pretty much one of From Software's hallmarks. Bloodborne is a Soulslike, for sure, but so is Lords of the Fallen... which controls about as differently from Dark Souls as Bloodborne does.

Did people start drinking some sort of brain poison while I wasn't looking

I think it's very suspect that many people came in and voted for only 1 game, which was Bloodborne. This is like ballot stuffing, where they only vote for one game so they can be sure that no other game gets points which could potentially raise their placement

In the future if someone just lists 1 game it should only be worth 1 point IMO

It's fine, we're only voting about games here. I just admired those one-vote Bloodborne posts for the humour they provided =D

Steel

Banned
Weapon distribution was pretty balanced in the main game for Skill and Strength IMO. Pretty much equal amounts of choice at any point of the game with maybe one more choice for Strength. DLC is pretty much balanced as Strength first Skill last though. You get pretty much every Strength weapon in the first area.

Pre-Rom Strength weapons:
Kirkhammer, saw cleaver, the ax, Tonitrus, Ludwig's(almost a balanced stat weapon, but does lean toward strength).

Pre-Rom Skills weapons:
Rifle Spear, Saw Spear(Saw cleaver copy), Threaded cane

So 2 weapon difference in favor of strength here, 1 of the weapons between them is pretty much a copy. I suppose my opinion here is tinged by the fact that I hate the threaded cane and think the Rifle spear is boring, while all the strength weapons pre-rom are the most interesting str weapons in the game.

Post Rom: 3 skill weapons, 1 skill weapon in NG+, 1 strength weapon in the main game, and one strength weapon hidden in a chalice.

Then in post rom you get all the cool skill weapons. And, on the other hand, if you don't particulary like Chalices, you get a god damned wooden wheel as a strength weapon. The beast claws are great but the amount of chalice diving you have to do to get them is... Yeah.

But, again, despite this problem BB is still my GOTY.

Isendurl

Lol he said GAF would look funny if we didn't follow the majority, Whatever that majority is. Honestly looking at TW3 GOTY list, its hard to pick reputable sites from the list.

rolleyes.gif

Guess we have a new Majestad now.

Fanboys....... fanboys never change.

Ridesh

Banned

But, why you voted for nothing more than PS exclusives? you play nothing more than PS exclusives? I mean, you clearly care so much about the importance and reputation of this voting while your participation in it was clearly biased.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=191619377&postcount=2071

myco666

Pre-Rom Strength weapons:
Kirkhammer, saw cleaver, the ax, Tonitrus, Ludwig's(almost a balanced stat weapon, but does lean toward strength).

Pre-Rom Skills weapons:
Rifle Spear, Saw Spear(Saw cleaver copy), Threaded cane

So 2 weapon difference in favor of strength here, 1 of the weapons between them is pretty much a copy. I suppose my opinion here is tinged by the fact that I hate the threaded cane and think the Rifle spear is boring, while all the strength weapons pre-rom are the most interesting str weapons in the game.

Post Rom: 3 skill weapons, 1 skill weapon in NG+, 1 strength weapon in the main game, and one strength weapon hidden in a chalice.

Then in post rom you get all the cool skill weapons. And, on the other hand, if you don't particulary like Chalices, you get a god damned wooden wheel as a strength weapon. The beast claws are great but the amount of chalice diving you have to do to get them is... Yeah.

But, again, despite this problem BB is still my GOTY.

Reiterpallasch is also pre-Rom and LHB isn't really Strength weapon either as it has B scaling in Skill also. Then you can also get BoM before fighting any boss if you know what to do.

But yeah by not liking two of those early weapons you might be disappointed for sure.

Interesting that there are comments regarding BB being a step back from Dark Souls. Admittedly I haven't followed the discussion on BB, and I'm lttp so I haven't finished the game yet, but most everything seems better than Dark Souls...

Bloodborne does a lot better than Dark Souls imo. The level design is much better to me, the combat game feel is way fucking dramatically better with harder hitting weapons and increased feedback, and I enjoy the bosses more. I also think Bloodborne's art style also blows the other games in the series away, not to mention Bloodborne's quality doesn't drop off a cliff after the halfway point; it remains consistently great throughout for the first time in the series since Demon's.

Nif

But, why you voted for nothing more than PS exclusives? you play nothing more than PS exclusives? I mean, you clearly care so much about the importance and reputation of this voting while your participation in it was clearly biased.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=191619377&postcount=2071

5. The Order 1886 ; I'm gonna give it points just because it's so undeservingly hated

Yeah, I see what he means about transparency being important now.

Steel

Banned
Reiterpallasch is also pre-Rom and LHB isn't really Strength weapon either as it has B scaling in Skill also. Then you can also get BoM before fighting any boss if you know what to do.

But yeah by not liking two of those early weapons you might be disappointed for sure.

Technically Chikage would also be pre-rom if we're talking Cainhurst. Hell, by that logic, the Beast Claws are also pre-Rom, perhaps I should have worded that divider better. In either case, Ludwig leans toward strength even if the letters are the same, you can see it as you level it up that the strength scaling goes up faster than the skill scaling. Having the same letter != same amount of scaling.

whisky.gif

That doesn't make it a better game for me. Nor does it make GAF (or media like Gametrailers, Edge, Eurogamer, Polygon, The New Yorker or The Guardian) look funny because they didn't pick The Witcher, as someone here claimed.

An indie game will rarely top any of those lists for example, no matter how good it is. Most of the time these awards go to heavily marketed AAA games played by millions. And very rarely they go to Japanese games.

It was refreshing to see GAF pick a fairly niche game like Bayonetta 2 last year for example, when most went for Dragon Age or Shadow of Mordor. Bloodborne isn't niche of course, but compared to the budget and player counts of The Witcher 3, Phantom Pain and Fallout it is a much smaller, more hardcore game and it's refreshing to see games like that topping lists as well.

That doesn't make it a better game for me. Nor does it make GAF (or media like Gametrailers, Edge, Eurogamer, Polygon, The New Yorker or The Guardian) look funny because they didn't pick The Witcher, as someone here claimed.

An indie game will rarely top any of those lists for example, no matter how good it is. Most of the time these awards go to heavily marketed AAA games played by millions. And very rarely they go to Japanese games.

It was refreshing to see GAF pick a fairly niche game like Bayonetta 2 last year for example, when most went for Dragon Age or Shadow of Mordor. Bloodborne isn't niche of course, but compared to the budget and player counts of The Witcher 3, Phantom Pain and Fallout it is a much smaller, more hardcore game and it's refreshing to see games like that topping lists as well.
Speaking of how'd that thread go? Id like to see responses in that one. Were people more accepting of bayonetta winning

Lingitiz

It's a Souls-type game, but no Souls game. A totally different franchise.

It's like saying Lost Odyssey is a solid Final Fantasy game. Not the best entry in the franchise, but still worthy of the Final Fantasy name.

Nah Bloodborne has way too many renamed Souls mechanics to not be considered one of those games. It's actually a big complaint I have with the game: it doesn't differentiate enough from that series (still the basic structure of souls and recollecting them, same exact world progression structure, same leveling system although vastly stripped down) and in doing so also doesn't carry over some of the progressive changes that Dark Souls 1 and 2 already solved.

myco666

Technically Chikage would also be pre-rom if we're talking Cainhurst. Hell, by that logic, the Beast Claws are also pre-Rom, perhaps I should have worded that divider better. In either case, Ludwig leans toward strength even if the letters are the same, you can see it as you level it up that the strength scaling goes up faster than the skill scaling. Having the same letter != same amount of scaling.

Well with Reiterpallasch you just need to enter the castle and pick it up. No need to fight anything if you want to get it. With Chikage you have fight ML which is more of a late game boss so I wouldn't say it is the same logic. Also Beast Claws are way too deep for pre-Rom IMO.

Also LHB gets equal amount of damage points up until 30 with both Skill and Strength after that Strength gives 5 damage with two points and Skill gives 4 with two points. Yes it has small lean towards Strength but not that much.

Bloodborne is definitely better than Dark Souls in my mind, and it seems disingenuous to disregard its quality just to write it off as "just another From game". Not only does the game do enough unique things with its story, themes, aesthetic, and mechanics to justify its existence, but it seems silly to ignore its superlative level design, encounters, bosses...well, everything, just because its part of a series of similar, amazing games. It's not the same as Call of Duty because these games maintain an incredibly high standard of quality between each release (well, maybe not quite as high with Dark Souls 2).

Top Bottom