• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf OLED owners thread

Kurotri

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to the whole OLED business. My laggy Samsung RU 7179 has been pissing me off for a while now and I want to replace it at some point, so I remembered this thread. Is the "LG OLED 42 C27 LA" good? Any of you guys have it? I plan to use it as my sole TV for everything basically, and especially gaming of course. I don't need anything especially fancy, but I really would love a TV that's snappy and quick when I'm cycling through menus, opening apps and stuff.

rofif

Banned
Heads UP
With windows 11 22H2, there is finally HDR calibration tool.

Additionally, You can go to system - display - advanced display
and there you can see your max luminance. Mine was 1500 nits and I calibrated to 800 (with hgig).
Not sure what will use this calibration but it is there.

Also, I noticed that AUTO HDR is in system level hdr settings. I only enable HDR for hdr enabled games since I never liked auto hdr but maybe it's better now ?

For the LG owners, are you running your console inputs on ‘pc’ or game console?
LG CX, all inputs set to PC.
i've found the PC input setting resolves faint detail the best.

for example, i was playing some mario game on the switch (super mario 3d world, i think), and some of the menu backgrounds (e.g., pause menu, i think) have a slight texture.
you could only see the texture when the input was set to PC; when set to game console, the texture was completely gone.

though when set to PC, you disable a lot of other settings, like gradient smoothing... but whatever.
disclaimer: i dont have a ps5/xbox series x, only older consoles and PC.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I’ve been into OLED for some time now. Started with a 55” B8 (which has become my basement TV), upgraded to a 65” C9, and finally I’ve now upgraded to a 77” C2, which has been freaking incredible.

I won’t be upgrading again for many years now. Maybe in 6-7 years when the next Xbox/PS6 come out, if there’s anything worthwhile to upgrade to then.

DonJorginho

Banned
Welp, my LG C1 has officially kicked the bucket after about 6/7 months.

Turned it on this morning and noticed I had the black line of doom on my panel, luckily I'm still under warranty so have already raised this with LG support, and tbh sometimes I forget it's there but damn I was hoping I'd be lucky and avoid any issues.

At least it's happened whilst I'm still under warranty!

aHQPM4k.jpg

GHG

Gold Member
Welp, my LG C1 has officially kicked the bucket after about 6/7 months.

Turned it on this morning and noticed I had the black line of doom on my panel, luckily I'm still under warranty so have already raised this with LG support, and tbh sometimes I forget it's there but damn I was hoping I'd be lucky and avoid any issues.

At least it's happened whilst I'm still under warranty!

aHQPM4k.jpg

You tried a manual pixel refresh? Might be worth a shot, but tbh if you're still under warranty it's probably best to get a new panel.

DonJorginho

Banned
You tried a manual pixel refresh? Might be worth a shot, but tbh if you're still under warranty it's probably best to get a new panel.
Yeah man thanks for the suggestion, already did that this morning but didn't fix it, only thing i could do now is probably unplug the TV and let the capacitors drain but I'm happy to wait for the LG Team to come and replace my panel.

I'm in no immediate rush as my warranty runs till April 23 but have already opened the support ticket so hopefully will have updates within the next week or so.

Reactions: GHG

Thanofski88

Neo Member
Game console, using C2 42"
The game optimiser mode is rubbish though, dims the screen way too much. I'm using standard HDR mode.
What?? Is there a source for that? Im switching between game opt. And standard but is see no difference ...both modes have the exact same settings ...

rofif

Banned
What?? Is there a source for that? Im switching between game opt. And standard but is see no difference ...both modes have the exact same settings ...
maybe waquzy waquzy don't know that every mode on every input and in sdr/hdr have different settings memory.
So maybe it switches to HGIG and it looks darker.
I confirm on lg c1 that game optimizer is not darker. Pc input is also not darker

DonJorginho

Banned
Not that anyone cared but I'm a boring fecker so just updating on my LG C1's early funeral.

After coming to a deal with the supplier which I bought the TV from (Very UK), they are sending me out a brand new replacement TV and will be collecting the old one upon it's arrival so I have upgraded and have gone for a 42" LG C2 OLED, which is albeit a little smaller than my previous C1 48" OLED but I prefer the smaller size and have heard great things about the C2's brightness which is great for me being in a very bright room with lots of natural sun light. It arrives tomorrow and I can't wait to boot up ol' Ragnarok on it!

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Just got the Sony A80J 77”. Wanted the A90J, but the 83” was over my budget and 65” was the only other choice, wish they had a 77” option. Either way, the A80J looks stunning to me. Any advice? I’m running eARC through an Onkyo RZ50 receiver which gives me more 2.1 ports, but I’m afraid it might introduce lag.

Just got the Sony A80J 77”. Wanted the A90J, but the 83” was over my budget and 65” was the only other choice, wish they had a 77” option. Either way, the A80J looks stunning to me. Any advice? I’m running eARC through an Onkyo RZ50 receiver which gives me more 2.1 ports, but I’m afraid it might introduce lag.
Great choice. A80J is a killer tv.

You can get an HDMI 2.1 switch for HDMI 4 if you’re concerned about lag and have the need. It’s obviously not ideal, but great if you have multiple 2.1 devices.

Celcius

°Temp. member
There are some great deals on OLED TV's this month but how long after CES in January do the new models usually come out? Aka when can we expect the C3 to release?

Still a skeptic about the longevity of OLED TVs, but damn if they aren’t amazing to enjoy while they last. The contrast and viewing angles really are stunning.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Well I will finally get my OLED monitor on Friday so it’s gonna be my 6th OLED screen at home lol
LG55C7 LG55C8 LG65CX Switch OLED IPhone 13 Pro and now my aw3423dw 💪

graywolf323

My toddler threw a toy at my ks8000 and I was thinking of s95 or a c1 since c1 here is much cheaper and still available, is it night and day from ks8000?
Ks8000 was an absolute monster tv of its time
I'm hoping to really break it in over the Thanksgiving weekend once I'm back home from my parents' but it's very pretty so far and being able to take advantage of all the fancy new features of the PS5 & XBSX has been nice even if i haven't really had time/energy to play anything with how busy work has been this past month

I got lucky and scored an open box from Best Buy for $900 back before Halloween and it's actually gone up in price since then :messenger_hushed:

DanEON

how are the LG OLED TVs handling the gamma curve when using the PS5 in 120hz+VRR mode?
I am playing GoW Ragnarok in 120hz+VRR mode and I wonder if I need to use this setting:

Lone Wolf

I decided to jump in to the OLED world and just ordered a 77 inch B2. I considered the C2, but it was about $600 more expensive, and didn’t seem to offer much more. Should I have went C2? This tv will be replacing a 75 inch TCL 635 series.

I decided to jump in to the OLED world and just ordered a 77 inch B2. I considered the C2, but it was about $600 more expensive, and didn’t seem to offer much more. Should I have went C2? This tv will be replacing a 75 inch TCL 635 series.
If u ask me tvs should be with u for atleast half a decade even more if they still are working
So a little bit brighter and faster chip I think would go along way in those 5 6 years
But if ur the type of guy who changes tv every year or 2 then I would suggest wait for c3

how are the LG OLED TVs handling the gamma curve when using the PS5 in 120hz+VRR mode?
I am playing GoW Ragnarok in 120hz+VRR mode and I wonder if I need to use this setting:

You’d need to use that fine tune gamma setting. How am I handling it? I’m not. I’m skipping out on VRR mode, which pains me as a Gsync snob on PC. But I just can’t justify having to tweak the setting manually for every game, and choosing a locked frame rate of 60 or 30 with 4K visuals has been preferable to me over dealing with a degraded, washed out image that completely defeats the point of buying an OLED. VRR in all forms hurts image quality too much to be useful, especially when games are better optimized for stable frame rates on consoles. PC is a different story and I wouldn’t game without Gsync, but I also don’t have an OLED monitor so any effect isn’t as noticeable.

rofif

Banned

They doesn't handle it at all.
Everything that is not 120hz with vrr, is more washed out.
I could not notice anything in Ragnarok thout.

But if you launch some darker game on pc and swich 30,60,120, you will see black levels change. Look at the coat in the background of this transparent re2 menu:

What I don't know... is if playing at fixed 60hz without also have different gamma than fixed 120.
I know that vrr defaults gamma to 120hz and everything else is off... but when playing without vrr on fixed HZ, maybe 60hz is also producint good results?
What I want out of playstation is to allow 120hz fixed output always on. No matter if game is 30,40 or 60.

nashman

OMG, Playong GOW ragnorok there is a part a 6-8 hours in where you are fighting down in a near pitch black cave, and WOW the explosions of coulor when attacking and lighting the torches was absolutely insane. My jaw was literially dropped when playing. Eyegasm. OLEDs in dark scenes are just *chefs kiss*

dotnotbot

says evo right on the box

42 inch models were still getting older WBC panels despite being called "evo" on the box, because "evo" in reality is just a marketing term from LG Electronics (not the panel maker LG Display) and has no real meaning.

is there a way to check if its the one with the evo panel? and more doggo photos please

One of the letters in the serial number printed on the box mean the panel version.

download-9-jpg.3214549

• P - LGD OLED OBM/WBE
  • Q - LGD OLED OBM/WBC
  • W - LGD OLED OCM/WBE
  • Y - LGD OLED OCM/WBC"

download-10-jpg.3214553

WBE is the newest panel type (also note that WBE has 2 versions - older 2021 one and newer 2022 version called "EX" by LG Display, but I'm not sure if there is any way to tell which one you have, in general 2022 models should be equipped with EX but there are some exceptions like 42 inch C2 models)

Last edited:

ikbalCO

Hey folks.

Recently upgraded from lg 55b9 to sony 65a80k and unfortunately i didnt hit the panel lottery this time.

I notice this whilce watching barbarians on disney+ and i guess my tv has banding. I dont know if the banding i am seeing is the worst possible banding but it sure can get very disturbing if you know wehere to look at it.
tdAZlDr.jpg

So i have three questions,
Can it be fixed?
If not is it under waranty?
Is it really that big of a deal?

My phone applied a night vision so it doesnt look that bad in real life.

Imtjnotu

42 inch models were still getting older WBC panels despite being called "evo" on the box, because "evo" in reality is just a marketing term from LG Electronics (not the panel maker LG Display) and has no real meaning.

One of the letters in the serial number printed on the box mean the panel version.

[/URL]

WBE is the newest panel type (also note that WBE has 2 versions - older 2021 one and newer 2022 version called "EX" by LG Display, but I'm not sure if there is any way to tell which one you have, in general 2022 models should be equipped with EX but there are some exceptions like 42 inch C2 models)
Pretty sure in the oled thread I know the wbc and wbe versions lol. Don't we wall watch Vincent on YouTube

Hey folks.

Recently upgraded from lg 55b9 to sony 65a80k and unfortunately i didnt hit the panel lottery this time.

I notice this whilce watching barbarians on disney+ and i guess my tv has banding. I dont know if the banding i am seeing is the worst possible banding but it sure can get very disturbing if you know wehere to look at it.
tdAZlDr.jpg

Can it be fixed?

How long have you had it? Sometimes this will go away after some usage, you'll generally not really notice it unless testing for it

GHG

Gold Member
Hey folks.

tdAZlDr.jpg

Can it be fixed?

Had the same thing with my CX when I first purchased it and it's now perfect.

Talked about it here:

See if you can find something like the manual pixel refresher in the settings (not sure what Sony call it but it should be there somewhere).

rofif

Banned
lg oled and Callisto players.
Are you playing quality mode with vrr or 60hz fixed mode on ps5?
I know that lg c1 displays proper gamma only at 120hz.. an maybe at fixed 60hz.
But for sure not with vrr 30? right ?!

Gamezone

Gold Member
My aw3423dw is great, but what the hell is that fan curve? Anyone else having problemes with the fan making this breathing noise?

Top Bottom