• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Pokémon League | There are 18 badges in GAF; Gary Oak has 20

He was actually the former grass gym leader.

That's why it's hard to implement E4 and champion at this stage. There's a lot of formats available here and it's not easy to tell who is better than who overall.

I said that because he won the VGC tournament earlier >_>

anyway, I bet the dragon gym would be the hardest, assuming equal skill levels across the board

Usobuko

Banned

anyway, I bet the dragon gym would be the hardest, assuming equal skill levels across the board

I know :)

That was just a common address to folks ( both challengers and potential gym leaders in future ) who wanted E4/Champion to be implemented. Also, I beta-tested with some of the gym leaders here for their team preparations. I would just say some of the apparently weakest types actually has some tricks to it that are not easy to navigate around, if you're not prepared for it.

I decided to dedicate my Pokemon time to both completing the National dex (slowly but surely) and improving at the VGC format. So if I did this and didn't want to interfere with that time I'd have to sacrifice other things.

Just for anyone wondering why I dropped at the last minute. ;_;

spiritfox

Woo it's up!

BTW Wichu, use this for my trainer photo:
cUbXrsH.png

edit: Also, I will not be free on the weekdays for the next 2 weeks. Sorry guys, any challenges will have to be on the weekends.

Zantar

Neo Member
Love this idea, might challenge some of the gym leaders some time :)

For 6v6, most leaders are offering VGC style doubles though.

Well we did just have a doubles tournament, we could use the final 4 from that.

Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to be one of the e4 as much as I'd like to. My time is getting limited due to other commitments (I have barely enough time to practice VGC!), and there are time zone issues as well (I'm in Australia).

Hmm...

I feel like I can do the Grass type gym.

Then again, I would like to challenge every gym doing Smogon rules until I get a team that are VGC acceptable.

It's likely that the positions will only be offered to players who acquire all 18 badges, similarly to how you can't enter the Pokémon League without all the badges in-game.

Interesting.

Wichu

Updated the OP with some extra rules (remembered to ban Mewtwo this time!) and a new Gym Leader!

Elite Four/Champion have been discussed, but since we're just getting started, we're not worrying about them for now. It's likely that the positions will only be offered to players who acquire all 18 badges, similarly to how you can't enter the Pokémon League without all the badges in-game.

EDIT:
Hmm...

I feel like I can do the Grass type gym.

Then again, I would like to challenge every gym doing Smogon rules until I get a team that are VGC acceptable.

Sorry, I forgot to update that paragraph when we got our Grass Gym Leader, shunxsato. If you really want to be a Gym Leader, you can challenge the current Gym Leader to a best-of-five match using a same-type team ;)

Sorry, I forgot to update that paragraph when we got our Grass Gym Leader, shunxsato. If you really want to be a Gym Leader, you can challenge the current Gym Leader to a best-of-five match using a same-type team ;)

My dream died before it started.

Well, people need fun challengers, so I can deliver that. :]

You can become a gym leader if you take them on with the same type.

Nah, I should challenge first. I have Pokemon in boxes that create good synergy already. A few additions and breeds and I can create a solid team.

I'm more busy this month and the next anyway.

Quest1

Yesss. Make sure you post in the thread if you PM for challenges.

I'm completely ready.

Edit: Wichu you did a great job with the OP. It looks great and the badges are awesome. A billion props to you!

Shun

My gym will be open soon, just reformulating my team!

Don't expect that getting the Azalea Badge and beating the Grass Gym will be easy, I'll make sure of that.

I pray to Erika that my gym
not
be flooded with requests.

Don't expect that getting the Azalea Badge and beating the Grass Gym will be easy, I'll make sure of that.

not

hmm
Grass Gym seems like the easiest to build a hard counter for.....
:p

Zeppeli

Banned
Edit: Nevermind, ALBW isn't eligible!

On topic, I'll start challenging some of you guys soon enough. Finishing up my team. Great idea, guys!

Flowmoney

not

All I need is one pokemon and I challenge you on...
TalonFlame

Not really serious as I don't have X and Y but isn't grass type really limited in what can be done with it?

beat Grass gym-->switch out one, then beat Ice (?) gym--->switch out another, beat Bug gym, etc.

also if you really need to, couldn't you throw a match to switch out two?
True, but if a team actually needs to change itself drastically for a specific gym then the team probably sucks to begin with. :/

spiritfox

beat Grass gym-->switch out one, then beat Ice (?) gym--->switch out another, beat Bug gym, etc.

We are relying on the challenger's integrity for the matches. If you wish to cheapen the matches, go ahead and cheese the system. But we may revoke the badges if we see something like that.

We are relying on the challenger's integrity for the matches. If you wish to cheapen the matches, go ahead and cheese the system. But we may revoke the badges if we see something like that.

That's well within the rules.

Having a team to wipe grass, then going straight to ice with (nearly) that same team isn't exactly going to net you an easy win. They only share one type disadvantage.

The real challenge is creating a team of 6 and defeating every gym with that team. We allow you to switch because we would never want to set up the challengers for a no win situation.

Yeah, grass--->bug was probably a better example, but whatever.

Having a team to wipe grass, then going straight to ice with (nearly) that same team isn't exactly going to net you an easy win. They only share one type disadvantage.

The real challenge is creating a team of 6 and defeating every gym with that team. We allow you to switch because we would never want to set up the challengers for a no win situation.

Teknoman

This is such a fantastic idea. Highest of fives to everyone involved

Its crazy awesome that it finally came to fruition! I think this idea has been kicking around since D/P/Pl? At least I remember it being brought up. The real question is...when will the GE4 + Champion hit the scene.

I'll try this eventually but I'll likely get my ass kicked since I don't have the patience to get perfect nature, IV's, EV's etc. Also I'll be too tempted to use Pokémon I like instead of really good ones. :/

Shun

Its crazy awesome that it finally came to fruition! I think this idea has been kicking around since D/P/Pl? At least I remember it being brought up. The real question is...when will the GE4 + Champion hit the scene.

Maybe the first 4 people to beat every gym without a loss? Those would become the Elite 4 with a type specialty of choice and then when all gym leaders and the E4 are beaten, we get a Champion who has a wild card team.

This is assuming no one quits or revokes gym leadership.

It also makes things interesting and gives incentive to win.

Maybe you'll get a badge cause the Leader likes you, that's how Ash wins half his badges anyway :p

Maybe the first 4 people to beat every gym without a loss? Those would become the Elite 4 with a type specialty of choice and then when all gym leaders and the E4 are beaten, we get a Champion who has a wild card team.

This is assuming no one quits or revokes gym leadership.

It also makes things interesting and gives incentive to win.

Maybe you'll get a badge cause the Leader likes you, that's how Ash wins half his badges anyway :p

Ash is a fraud anyway :p

also that still leaves someone to be Gary Oak

Usobuko

Banned
Switching just one pokemon after you win by building a dedicated team don't necessary meant the next one will be easy despite being the same weakness and such. Different gym leaders offer different format, some of them are more prone to uncertainty than the others or simply given much more leeway to deal against common threats. Besides, the number of changes can be traced and recorded which is why I said this.

It doesn't look as good and impressive if you have to keep changing your teams just to acquire all 18 badges.

Ultimately, if there is going to be a E4/Champion thing, it won't be the one who has to switch say 436218 times just to acquire 18 badges ( It's just an example! ). It doesn't matter how fast you acquire those badges at this point. I'm sure this is will be somewhat agreed between gym leaders.

MicH

Very excited to get this rolling. Here is my avatar, Wichu:
zzndVxV.png

Gonna try and work on a new avatar, and I'm very excited to take on challengers :D

Clefargle

Will there be a GAF E4 + champ eventually? I intend to net all these here badges and it would be rad to have 5 of the best on the boards with no type restrictions to test our mettle against afterwards.

Shun

Very nice thread Wichu.

My leadership is already getting I see contested, I obviously picked a good type. *Start fine tuning his team*

If I knew about this sooner I would have totally nabbed steel. My actual team uses steel pretty heavily and I love it.

Grass is a nice challenge though and I'm lucky I get to be a gym leader. Forces me to get super creative with grass.

Team almost ready, just waiting on some questions and approval from Wichu and the rest of the gym leaders.

Top Bottom