• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF SEGA Community Thread |OT| To be this good takes AGES

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Sonic 2 seems to have good legs even after the switch to Paramount +. It grossed 10 million last week reaching $385 million dollars.

Nathan and Sullivan from Uncharted are a bit concerned right now... 😎

M1Ha.gif

Fat Frog

Yu Suzuki just announced Air Twister on Apple Arcade.(planet harrier like with goose ???).

Why not... But after Shenmue 3, Yu Suzuki should stop to hire developers from Bangladesh... This is ugly seriously.

Kazza

Good to see the Mega CD finally getting some love. Fingers crossed for Snatcher and Lunar!

Last edited:

Kazza

I personally prefer the model 1 Mega Drive, but does anyone here have a preference for the model 2?

In a huge Sega nostalgia mood! Played some Sonic Gems Collection yesterday, Sonic the Fighters, Sonic R, and Sonic CD! Huge trip down memory lane! My plan now is to channel that nostalgia into a Sega All Stars kind of mashup project

Fat Frog

Kazza Kazza

The megadrive 2 is a disgrace. Bad design, bad IQ...

The Megadrive Mini 2 ? With the Sega CD, it's much more appealing to me than the first one. On top of that, it's filled with rare games.

Kruza

I'm always on the Sega nostalgia kick since I still frequently play Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown!

I've also been playing Gun Valkyrie recently.

I am going to guess we are not getting the Mega Drive Mini 2 despite fans begging for the other console minis since the first one came out.

I wanted to play some of those MEGA CD games for so long that I may just import one from Japan and pray that M2 have added the English copies as well.

Kazza

I am going to guess we are not getting the Mega Drive Mini 2 despite fans begging for the other console minis since the first one came out.

I wanted to play some of those MEGA CD games for so long that I may just import one from Japan and pray that M2 have added the English copies as well.

It'd be strange if they don't release the console in its most popular regions. I personally like the model 1, but I bet there are lots of people who have most nostalgia for the model 2.

lachesis

I've started watching "Uncle from Another World" on Netflix... and omg. The anime really brought some Sega fanboy inside me.

Not a biggest fan of "Isekai" stuff - so I wasn't going to watch, but I did hear how the main guy was a fan of Sega, so I gave 1st episode a go... and it's been a good Sega fan service all over the place. BGM, or sound effects, or visual style etc - many from Sega arcade games, Mega Drive and mostly Saturn era. I wonder how he'll react about Dreamcast, if it ever gets mentioned... :)

But look at this mid-episode "Eye Catch" title screen. lol.

rCihMg3.jpg

Kazza

That's good news! I thought I might have to eventually buy a PS4 just to play it. I'll still probably need to do that if I ever want to play the Fist of the North Start game though.

I guess that whole thing of his agent not wanting the game on PC was false then.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Huh.
Here is The Sacred Pools, an unreleased FMV game by Sega planned for release in 1997. The game was a new arrival to the FMV market that was pushed as an “erotic thriller” for older audiences. With a reported budget of 2-3 million dollars, Sega’s new division SegaSoft aimed to expand the experiences available on Saturn, PC, Macintosh, and PSX(!). Although Sacred Pools made a legendary debut at E3 1996, the press panned the game for its quality and it was quietly pushed aside to never be heard from again.

Last edited:

Alexios

So I finally got around to playing Skies of Arcadia and making some progress.

I first went with Dreamcast emulation but it seems to still have some minor glitches in Flycast, the dof or whatever effect in the intro is broken and there were some transprency issues in a single area. Very minor but eventually I also was unable to save after rescuing Fina, it said that the save was corrupt so I then tried to save on the second slot and the game hanged so I lost some progress there. If I knew this is possible I guess I could be using save states instead though I generally don't utilize such things. After rsetting the save that was supposedly corrupt could be loaded though.

I googled about the issue and saw that the original game could actually corrupt saves itself, I couldn't find anything regarding Flycast specifically to know if there's anything I can do to avoid it in the future.

At that point and also considering the QOL changes and additional content, as well as not caring that much about the reduced audio quality everyone agrees about, I switched to playing Legends on Dolphin and eventually reached the same part but I feel like the game kinda looks worse. Character textures seem more obviously low res and more importantly the draw distance in the sky overworld may be the same or better but there is a very clear and distracting line some distance ahead where things come into view. I feel on Dreamcast, even though objects seem to draw in less gradually and more per chunk or something, they did a better job of making things appear as if they come into view from a fog (without the additional area fog before the first arcwhale scene, that seemed more or less the same on both versions).

Or is this just me? Or is it a side effect of generally crisper visuals (I tend to play games at native settings this period, with CRT shaders on RA/Flycast but since I use stand alone Dolphin there's no equivalent that I've been able to find and use there)?

Last edited:

Kazza

So I finally got around to playing Skies of Arcadia and making some progress.

I first went with Dreamcast emulation but it seems to still have some minor glitches in Flycast, the dof or whatever effect in the intro is broken and there were some transprency issues in a single area. Very minor but eventually I also was unable to save after rescuing Fina, it said that the save was corrupt so I then tried to save on the second slot and the game hanged so I lost some progress there. If I knew this is possible I guess I could be using save states instead though I generally don't utilize such things. After rsetting the save that was supposedly corrupt could be loaded though.

I googled about the issue and saw that the original game could actually corrupt saves itself, I couldn't find anything regarding Flycast specifically to know if there's anything I can do to avoid it in the future.

At that point and also considering the QOL changes and additional content, as well as not caring that much about the reduced audio quality everyone agrees about, I switched to playing Legends on Dolphin and eventually reached the same part but I feel like the game kinda looks worse. Character textures seem more obviously low res and more importantly the draw distance in the sky overworld may be the same or better but there is a very clear and distracting line some distance ahead where things come into view. I feel on Dreamcast, even though objects seem to draw in less gradually and more per chunk or something, they did a better job of making things appear as if they come into view from a fog (without the additional area fog before the first arcwhale scene, that seemed more or less the same on both versions).

Or is this just me? Or is it a side effect of generally crisper visuals (I tend to play games at native settings this period, with CRT shaders on RA/Flycast but since I use stand alone Dolphin there's no equivalent that I've been able to find and use there)?

I've never played, but plan to fairly soon. I was debating which version to play. I was leaning towards the GameCube version, as I hear that it is less grindy in terms of random battles. I also assumed it would look better graphically, but from what you say it seems that may not be true.

Alexios

I've never played, but plan to fairly soon. I was debating which version to play. I was leaning towards the GameCube version, as I hear that it is less grindy in terms of random battles. I also assumed it would look better graphically, but from what you say it seems that may not be true.
Idk, you can compare videos but it's hard to get the exact same conditions and be sure it's a good quality upload. Info online indicates GameCube graphics are enhanced but details are limited. Major characters get defined fingers but far from everyone.

Going by these videos I think it's the cloud boundaries of the overworld that make it an obvious line more than anything, objects still seem to fade in. I dunno. Many areas also have a more washed out look, like the indoors they reach past the timestamp.

Last edited:

Kazza

I'm sure I will already have pretty much all they are going to give away, but let's see! Can't argue with Christmas giveaways!

Fat Frog

Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio are matching the Bloomberg's reports and the previous Sammy Financial summary.

Nights, Altered Beast didn't show up again. Golden Axe and Shinobi made it...

Outrun and After Burner are the new comers of 2022's report 🤞🤞🤞

After Burner and Outrun are also making the cut in the horrible mobile game from Yoko Taro. Another clue...

Last edited:

Kazza

I think there was a separate thread on this at the time, but I can't find it now. Remember that book about the Mega Drive that Sega issued a cease and desist on? Well, the author has released the PDF for free. Download it here:

I wish I could buy a physical copy, but it's better than nothing for sure!

Last edited:

Fat Frog

A few days before the JAEPO, VF's current producer is having a tea with Yu Suzuki...

Last edited:

cireza

Hey everyone,

I have been working on a brand new Game Gear game for around a year, and thought I would share the very first video on the topic. It was recorded by Tom from smspower.

It is a narrative adventure game. It will contain 7 chapters and a story that I hope will be interesting for you.

Last edited:

RayBoy

Hey everyone,

I have been working on a brand new Game Gear game for around a year, and thought I would share the very first video on the topic. It was recorded by Tom from smspower.

It is a narrative adventure game. It will contain 7 chapters and a story that I hope will be interesting for you.

Well done. Looks great :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Top Bottom