• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's "Let's Watch Anime" OT#7: The Future Diary a.k.a Mirai Nikki (11/31-12/26)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Episode 8

New school year, new class and new friends(?) for Yuki. Butler dude eating cup ramen and the dogs got steaks was kinda sad. By the way, that was young Hinata in the photo with the butler, right? It's also funny to think Yuno was always right, there is danger waiting for Yuki on every corner.

Kinda sad, but also kinda funny, lol. Damn Breeders Diary..

Cornbread78

Look at Yuiki trying to be such a big boy with that confession. I guess he has to man up going forward because like he said, there is no way out of it now.

Actually liked this episode, and we all knew #4 was a sneaky douche' and we finally got confirmation when he busted a cap in the back of #10's head. Poor girl lost her daddy for good....

Evilisk

Episode 9

This was surprisingly decent episode and hey, no stupid edgy moments for the sake of being edgy. The only other episode that's as restrained as this and 8, is episode 1. I just really hope they keep up this trend.

Anyway Akise's a great addition. I appreciate him manhandling and flustering Yuno, and that he's in this without even having a Future Diary too. I got a pretty good laugh out of Yuki immediately regretting his decision to make Yuno his girlfriend.

Yuno immediately ousting Akise was a dumb decision; you coulda interrogated him after (though it doesn't matter because everything turned out pretty well in the end). Wasn't surprised at cop being an asshole, or that Hinata and Mao seem to have something going on (since that conversation about boyfriends last episode, I kind of figured it might be like that)

Not dropped for the moment.

Episode 9
Why are they even bothering to go through these games? During the game, I figured that Akise wasn't a diary owner, though I hadn't realized it in the previous episode. I feel like this revelation about Yuki's diary contradicts something that happened before, but I'm not sure. Oh, I forgot that other guy was there with them.

It's kind of silly how everyone came out of this as friends. That said, I'm surprised that neither of the new girls died. I was about to say that I'm surprised that the butler guy didn't die, but then he did.

Kvik

Episode 9

Yukiteru, 0.02 seconds after his confession:

giphy.gif

Akise was quite crafty in exploiting Yuki's diary limitation, also he probably rolled LUCK 18 stat during character creation since he guessed right on both counts. Hinata and Mao are a gay couple, by the looks of it. Finally, one ice cold execution from Officer Kurusu. He probably playing the long con by this stage. 5 down, 7 to go.

phaze

Since you guys are getting close to the second cour, I feel it is my duty to tell you that you need to to absolutely skip and avoid the second opening. Not only is it an abortion of a song sung in an awful engrish but it also heavily hints and almost outright spoils the most important plot development of the story. So in short: avoid.

Cornbread78

Awe how cute, they make such a great couple. Akasi is a sneaky bastard, who definately knows more than he is leading on . Yuno is a complete walking mental disorder, "this is the first time you are over my house" wait, what? Damn 'dis chick in crazy, lol...

i promise to catch up this weekend cornbread

Yeah, yeah, yeah, marathon time, lol.

Episode 10

Wow, I don't think Akise understands the concept of privacy, breaking into a house and acting all smug after that. Wonder how he'll die later on as he's obviously going to betray Yuki. Getting crushed by a mecha after a long silence would be the most fitting death I guess.

JulianImp

For some unexplainable reason I ended up marathoning the whole freaking thing over the weekend, so I'll now have to step aside and comment as a spectator rather than posting daily episode reviews to avoid spoiling things by mistake.

It'll definitely be fun to see reactions to later episodes from those of you who still aren't aware of what's yet to come...

Evilisk

Since you guys are getting close to the second cour, I feel it is my duty to tell you that you need to to absolutely skip and avoid the second opening. Not only is it an abortion of a song sung in an awful engrish but it also heavily hints and almost outright spoils the most important plot development of the story. So in short: avoid.

Alright thanks for the warning

Episode 10

I had to double check I didn't skip an episode, because I was confused at the start of the episode. Theme of the episode seemed to be retcons, retcons everywhere.

The Third retroactively being made out to be stronger, and somehow bulletproof and bombproof is REALLY dumb. How would a teacher get a hold of stuff like that anyway. And the Third gunning for Minene is dumb because, how the hell would you figure out she's got an Escape Diary anyway? It seems like it'd be the hardest to track.

Speaking of which, Minene also got hit with a lot of these. Seems like the author really liked her being a tomboy and so introduced a really dumb reason as to why her first appearance had her in a gothic lolita dress (which still doesn't make sense, why would she wear it in that situation). Actually the whole segment felt like the author taking a liking to her and wanting to show off another side to her, but it honestly felt pretty forced. Her Escape Diary is also turning out to be really weak it seems.

Yuno also having a delicate emotional state, along with blocked out memories, seems kinda bullshit. I can understand the former, but the whole Happy End she keeps aiming for makes it really dumb that she's apparently suppressing memories.

Anyway, Akise tricking Yuki got a laugh out of me and Murmur redubbing their lines at the start was good too. I'm actually somewhat excited about the development at the end of the episode. I have a feeling Cop's wife is gonna play a part in the next set of episodes if they're introducing her here.

Episode 10
I didn't expect a flashback here. I guess this confirms that the other participants really did get their diaries before Yuki. The guy from the first episode really is a lot tougher than implied there. And suddenly Minene is acting all moe-moe, complete with an accidental boob grab. It's weird that Minene was introduced in that dress, and we're learning now that she only happened to be wearing it due to circumstance. And of course, she shoots that one guy, as if that invalidates the entire sequence before.

It's still weird how Yuki seemed to have forgotten about the dead bodies in Yuno's house, and is just focusing on how bothersome she is. Oh, now he remembers, but it's somehow a, "wait, why don't I like Yuno, again?" thing. Yuki, Yuno already knows you know about the bodies, so just ask her about them!

Oh, so that's what was with the hole digging at the start. And Yuno is crazy enough to erase her own memories. And sudden twist with the detective, of course he wouldn't be an ally forever.

Cornbread78

Damn, 4th's wife and son are involved now so I wo der how they get out of the hospital alive. Yuuki's whining is annoying, 9th is right! It's time for him to stop being a baby all the time. Also, crazy Yuno is still best Yuno, lol.

Episode 11
Wow, those policemen are idiots to allow themselves to be taken out by Yuno like that. I figured that the policeman was provoking Yuno into acting. Yuno has surprisingly bad aim, while Yuki has good aim. And how the hell did they survive that fall without injuries?

Peeing behind a box is not something I wanted to see.

I didn't expect the Minene encounter to turn into a comedy scene. Considering the explosions, the policeman's wife is surprisingly calm.

Evilisk

Episode 11

I thought this'd be an interesting development but this was played out in the most boring way possible, with Kurusu wanting to kill 'em because his sudden son that we had no idea about until now became sick, and with Yuno being in the right again (and Yuki's attempts to keep her in check being the wrong decision).

Minene is such a joke now. The way she ended up going against the cop was a complete joke. I can't believe this is the same character from episode 2.

Anyway, the Crime Diary feels pretty rigid if it can't provide him with anything unless they actually do a crime first. It makes me wonder though, whether not having info on Yuno and her mystery door was on oversight on the author's part, or because Yuno wasn't actually responsible for that.

Kinda boring episode all in all (even though it's obviously setting up the next one).

Yuno has surprisingly bad aim, while Yuki has good aim.

Well yeah, I mean, Yuki's been using darts this whole time. Not a surprise he'd actually be pretty accurate with a gun

JulianImp

Well yeah, I mean, Yuki's been using darts this whole time. Not a surprise he'd actually be pretty accurate with a gun

Having good aim with throwing darts has no correlation with being good at aiming guns though, since firing bullets and darts is done in completely different ways.

You've also made me notice
a pretty big plot hole
thanks to your post, but that's something that won't be mentioned for a while so I'll speak no more about it.

Episode 12

The hostage situation where Yuki finally got his shit together was pretty hype, soundtrack was on point at that scene. Too bad he immediately reverted to his former self afterwards.

You've also made me notice
a pretty big plot hole
thanks to your post, but that's something that won't be mentioned for a while so I'll speak no more about it.

Plotholes in this tightly written narrative? Surely you jest!

Cornbread78

Nice shot Yuki. Pretty good conclusion to Yuuki's situation in the hospital. As always psycho Yuno is best Yandere, lol. That ending though, did Yuno kill Yuuki's father? What's in that bag Yuno?

Episode 12
"There are still many patients inside." But wait, why did no one react to the explosions, then? And now Yuno can completely overtake SWAT with perfect aim? Wait, that guy from Minene's flashback didn't die? And Yuno is capable of avoiding bullets now. Kurusu, just kill them already!

And somehow love is able to improve Yuki's aim. And despite everything, no one knows that Yuno and Yuki are criminals. Though I guess Yuno is wanted, but not enough for the same level of surveillance as before.

Kvik

Had to do Christmas related stuff this weekend, I'm a bit behind on my anime. :-\

Episode 10

So Yuno has selective memory loss, or something.

Episode 11

A precinct full of armed police officers and they can't handle a couple of kids?

Episode 12

Wasn't really impressed by Kurusu's real motives here. 6 more players to go.

Wait, that guy from Minene's flashback didn't die?

I'm pretty sure that person already appeared in episode one investigating Mineme. You see him questioning Yuki. At the end of the episode he shows up again in those flashbacks.

Episode 13

Akise is the better Main Character.

Also a super lewd ending sequence, why??

Evilisk

Episode 12

This was such a booring episode.

Yuno expertly killing police without a problem was dumb as hell. Kurusu not being aware of Yuno already being under surveillance by the cops was even dumber though. Speaking of Kurusu.

Kurusu ended up being such a shallow character. So he really just was a good guy that got desperate (which basically made dog butler's warnings pointless/bullshit).

His plan was the dumbest shit ever; he had most of the remaining Diary Holders on his side. Why not hunt down the remaining ones first before turning on the others? Even if he was successful he'd still have to find the others with his Diary (which he even admitted, was pretty weak for finding non-lawbreakers)

His Crime Diary being nullified by his actions was interesting. Too bad that it didn't play out in any meaningful way (he was practically in a no-win situation anyway, the Diary wouldn't have helped regardless)

Episode 13

And suddenly Murmur has plot relevance. Murmur actually meddling with Kurusu is interesting, but it doesn't make his actions any less stupid (you still coulda waited until later to turn on them). Akise and Nishijima working together was interesting but expected, though it was super dumb that Akise didn't pop up in the last two episodes. Now it seems Nishijima is in on the situation and they're finally moving in on Yuno (though it feels a bit premature with how there are still a few Diary Users left).

Kousaka is such a bloody idiot. What part of hold the door open is so hard to understand. Hinata looks like she's not gonna make it past the next episode. And I'm not sure Yuno is doing all of this without activating her Bad End with Yuki but whatever, let's see how this plays out.

Kvik

Episode 13

It's an onsen episode! Also probably a kidnapping since Yuno systematically eliminating any hindrance in order for her relationship with Yuki to progress (for better or worse). I suppose she drugged Yuki, installed trap all over the holiday resort town, and basically kicking back half naked in the video surveillance room, kicking back with a couple of skulls and a kill switch.

Also an oversight by Akise in entrusting Kosaka to attend one overtly complicated task such as holding the door open. I suppose his luck has run out.

Cornbread78

Wait, Yuno lost this one? Well, not for long I assume. What the hell are "apprentice diary holders?" Also, how the hell did Kousouka become one? Is Murmur really trying to mess with things?

Kvik

Episode 14

Yuki finally outmanoeuvred Yuno. Who's the owner of the 3rd skeleton? Yuno's imouto? I didn't expect Kousaka to be an "apprentice" diary holder. I hope this isn't going to be some "diary holder academy" situation, or something like that. Also, never mind the skeletons in the closet the big hole in the earth, shouldn't they take Yuno into custody, etc?

JulianImp

Episode 14

Yuki finally outmanoeuvred Yuno. Who's the owner of the 3rd skeleton? Yuno's imouto? I didn't expect Kousaka to be an "apprentice" diary holder. I hope this isn't going to be some "diary holder academy" situation, or something like that. Also, never mind the skeletons in the closet the big hole in the earth, shouldn't they take Yuno into custody, etc?

That last part you mentioned makes me wonder why didn't Cruz just issue Yuno an order of restraint (and perhaps even some police custody on Yukiteru) to keep her away from him and weaken both of them in the process. Then if Yuno went and broke the order she'd have become an elegible target for his crime diary without having to needlessly endanger his staff and other people... but I guess that wouldn't be edgy enough for this show...

Kvik

I'm gonna wager Yuno's previous boyfriend.

Also her goal will probably be trying to revive her parents.

There must be some explanation for Yuno's memory overwrites, involving her parents in some way. Unfortunately it's all still a mystery.

That last part you mentioned makes me wonder why didn't Cruz just issue Yuno an order of restraint (and perhaps even some police custody on Yukiteru) to keep her away from him and weaken both of them in the process. Then if Yuno went and broke the order she'd have become an elegible target for his crime diary without having to needlessly endanger his staff and other people... but I guess that wouldn't be edgy enough for this show...

I wish the show is more willing to tell a coherent story, rather than filling its quota for edginess per episode.

Episode 13
I figured that Murmur was more than she seemed, but it's odd that apparently even Deus doesn't seem to know what she's up to. The prize to take his place really doesn't seem worth it. I was wondering when the two new classmates would appear again, and I figured it would either to provide fanservice or kill them off, since they don't have story relevance anymore. The former guess turned out to be right. I mean, they're doing stuff now, but they're not really going to do anything except provide fanservice and die.

Wow, you fucking idiot, Akise told you to hold the door for a reason! OK, I get why Yuki would be restrained, but why is Yuno in her underwear? In the post-credits scene, I did find it funny when Murmur went through the exact same routine with Hinata and Mao, despite the fanservice.

Episode 14
I figured the opening would change here, but not so. Yuno is back to remembering the dead bodies? I suppose Yuno was overdue for a crazy laugh. And Yuno forgot about everyone while simultaneously turning up the gas, her memory is truly magical. Oh no, that boring guy has a Future Diary now! They really would have never considered using the vents without the diary?

Arrow to the knee, etc. I didn't expect Hinata to help save Yuki. Good on Yuki for telling Yuno to piss off, but I'm guessing that won't last.

I knew that there had to be a way to drag out the series despite there only being three enemy diary holders left, and I figured that they might introduce other diary holders, but I didn't expect for there to be an underling system. Of course one of the diary holders takes care of a bunch of children. Those underlings in the car have pretty bad designs.

Evilisk

Episode 14

This whole episode played out in the dumbest way tbqh. Yuno's magic amnesia was really bloody stupid. And Yuno's diary not telling her Yuki would get handcuffs is bullshit; earlier in the show she was using it to spy on Rape Priestess and Yuki even though they were just talking in general. If it picks up even little details or intereactions like that, then how the hell would Yuki getting hold of handcuff keys NOT show up on her Diary.

Oh and Yuno is half naked for reasons. Well I guess that at least it's a bit better than Yuno being suspicious and magically being correct about them, or the show trying to push her yandere shenanigans as the best option for Yuki.

Other than that Kousaka was pretty hilarious with his Brilliance Diary, Kousaka kick and taking an arrow
to the knee
. The Apprentice Diary stuff is fairly interesting, I'm guessing that's part of Murmur's meddling. I got confused by one of the Apprentice Holders having the exact same eye and hair color as Minene.

Kinda interesting we're only halfway through but almost all of the Diary Holders are already dead.

Episode 15

The Seventh Squad is the best team, the fighting in the fire was also nice, well the music at least. It was kinda badly animated.

I also fully trust Akise right now

Cornbread78

Yuno is a psycho, lol. With that being said, holy crap, she was beaten! It's a shame that the crazy couple has their diaries now though... they are screwed! With #7 &8 being partners, there is no beating them at this game.... I noticed the new ED as well. I kinda dig the OP music and the ED was pretty good before, so I'm not sure about this new one...

Yuno is a psycho, lol. With that being said, holy crap, she was beaten! It's a shame that the crazy couple has their diaries now though... they are screwed! With #7 &8 being partners, there is no beating them at this game.... I noticed the new ED as well. I kinda dig the OP music and the ED was pretty good before, so I'm not sure about this new one...

#7 & #8 are partners? Aren't the couple both the seventh or something? I figured they just got one of those fake diaries as well, even though it's a dumb disguise.

"haha! you thought we were fake diary owners that you're probably going to kill, but it turns out we are actual real diary owners that you're probably going to kill even more!!"

Cornbread78

#7 & #8 are partners? Aren't the couple both the seventh or something? I figured they just got one of those fake diaries as well, even though it's a dumb disguise.

"haha! you thought we were fake diary owners that you're probably going to kill, but it turns out we are actual real diary owners that you're probably going to kill even more!!"

That's the thing. There were three "apprentice" diary holders for #8, but that couple was also a true diary holder themselves (#7). MAybe #8 wasn;t aware that they were also #7?

You're watching the bits after the ED as well, right?

For some reason I keep skipping the Murmor bits. Is there actually relevant info in them, or just the normal comedy minute stuff?

Kvik

Well, it shows how people got recruited and expands on some details sometimes.

The funniest one is still the one where Murmur was trying to cook for Yuki and his mom.

Episode 15

Akise's plan failed miserably. His luck has truly ran out. Where I wish Yuki has learned how to fight by this stage (or just taking advantage of Yuno's fighting prowess), but no, he ended up crying again with his 'I'm so helpless' spiel. I know they're going for some realistic potrayal of a 15-year old, but it is a bit jarring if everything else was so edgy.

Evilisk

Episode 15

This was a nice change of pace. For once, Yuno's shenanigans were insufficient to save the day (in fact, her meddling pretty much screwed up everything). Yuki was really disappointing though, was that really the best you could do? After all of that you've been through, is that seriously the best you could do in that situation? Come on.

Yuno being able to deflect knives that well is kinda ridiculous, and I laughed at how they ran away after running out of knives. With Yuno and Yuki's diaries out of action, I've got a strong feeling we'll be seeing a Minene centric episode next.

The Exchange Diary users are pretty cool, but I feel bad for them because they're probably gonna die horribly even if they did win this episode. I kinda what to know what happened to the third Apprentice Diary holder since he seemed to disappear.

Murmur bit was hilarious. And yeah what the hell is up with her anatomy. It's ridiculous

Cornbread78

Episode 15

This was a nice change of pace. For once, Yuno's shenanigans were insufficient to save the day (in fact, her meddling pretty much screwed up everything). Yuki was really disappointing though, was that really the best you could do? After all of that you've been through, is that seriously the best you could do in that situation? Come on.

Yuno being able to deflect knives that well is kinda ridiculous, and I laughed at how they ran away after running out of knives. With Yuno and Yuki's diaries out of action, I've got a strong feeling we'll be seeing a Minene centric episode next.

The Exchange Diary users are pretty cool, but I feel bad for them because they're probably gonna die horribly even if they did win this episode. I kinda what to know what happened to the third Apprentice Diary holder since he seemed to disappear.

Murmur bit was hilarious. And yeah what the hell is up with her anatomy. It's ridiculous

#3 was killed by Yuki in the first episode.

Episode 15
Deus just sends emails? Skipping the opening like that guy said.

Yuki's mom is way more understanding about the police thing than she has any right to be. Jeez, Nishijima really is just doing exactly what Kurusu would be doing if he didn't turn evil. I didn't expect Yuno to appear in person already.

Kind of clever that they hid that these guys were real diary holders by changing the hair of the guy with the pompadour, so we wouldn't recognize his silhouette. Though considering that they're good at fighting in the first place, wouldn't it have been better to hide their diaries entirely?

And Yuki is right back to depending on Yuno. I'm glad that the two enemies won, since it would have been far beyond reason for them not to, but why just take the diaries instead of destroying them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom