• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's "Let's Watch Anime" OT#7: The Future Diary a.k.a Mirai Nikki (11/31-12/26)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yomidi

Episode 21
11th detah was pretty lame and I can't say I ever cared for 9th, I really have no idea why she got so more screentime compared to the rest of the Diary Holders( barring Yuki and Yuno, of course).
I love that we have three remaining Diary Holders and one of them barely had any lines.
Looking forward to know Yuno's real identity.
I bet it's something stupid

Episode 21
Wouldn't demanding the release of the mayor's hostages, the school friends, in this method ruin their lives, since they'd be known as allies of these murderers? Why would the police take an hour to get into the building? And a convenient connection between the mayor and the Gasai family.

How did Yuki get away from Minene? OK, backstory, it's time for her to die. Oh what the hell, Minene is from the Middle East?! Why is killing Eighth a priority, since her server diary hasn't come up at all this episode? And suddenly Akise is working with Eighth. That was a dumb way for Minene to die.

The solution the entire time was just to use a bomb to break through the vault? Then why not do that in the first place without the sacrifice? OK, good, that wasn't the way to break in.

So we had the plot twist that Yuno is fake, but now another plot twist that she's real, I guess. I'm surprised that Eleventh is dead already, leaving only the two leads and Eighth, so I guess weird stuff is going to happen with Yuno. And of course, boob grab.

So, no explanation for why Akise stopped Yuno from killing Eighth, and Yuki and the others can safely go home? And weird stuff is already happening with the world ending.

Episode 22

mXiJuDR.jpg

But why?

Cornbread78

My goodness, death, death everywhere. Yuki is a cold blooded killer now and it appears Murmur is acting as the second Yuno, that has to be it. This episode was a bloody mess just in time before the ending that is coming up soon. So confused...

Kvik

So, I actually visited the place shown in episode 13 of The Future Diary earlier this year. I've posted some pictures here if anybody want to check it out :p

Cool pics, MikeH. It's curious that some of the places looks abandoned with overgrowth, seems a bit... post-apocalyptical.

Episode 22

The episode where they started killing everybody wholesale. Well, the supporting cast, to be exact. That revelation about Akise came out of nowhere, him being Deus' agent, and his affections for Yuki. Murmur probably made a copy of Yuno (incl. the future diary), but for what purpose and how did she hide it from Deus?

Cool pics, MikeH. It's curious that some of the places looks abandoned with overgrowth, seems a bit... post-apocalyptical.

It's a resort town that had a building boom in the 70s but it got into problems because of the 90s recession + some other stuff, so there's a lot of abandoned hotels and other buildings there. Basically similar to how it's depicted in the show, except that it's happened to other hotels and not the one they're at in episode 13 and 14.

I'll be waiting for everyone to finish and retroactively like the series.

A-yup.

Just gonna...sit here and...wait it out.

Yup.

Episode 22
This twist that Akise was created by Deus is weird. If he just needs to provide one autonomous action, then wouldn't confronting Deus like this count? And the Kaworu comparisons continue with random love. So, Akise proved this by... getting a diary to observe, his original purpose?

The knife clearly went into Akise, so how did he survive? You'd think someone would have asked Deus whether he can actually bring people back to life before. Honestly, I'm surprised that Hinata and the others survived this long, so them dying gets more of an "it's about time" reaction.

Haha @ Akise being able to walk and lift up the phone with his head cut off. I'm guessing that Yuno has a diary for each of her personalities for some dumb reason.

Episode 23

But how did Yuki not notice the fact that there's an AXE in the bed?

It wasn't even hidden or anything.

Wonder how they'll drag this on for more episodes

-------

Also a dominatrix Yuno in the ending gag, I can already see the tidal wave of blood coming from Norway.

Cornbread78

Ok, wtf just happened? That was pretty damn interesting. Yuki climbs the ladder to manhood with Yuno finally and everything is all lovey dovey, then it all goes downhill in an instant . At least we finally have confirmation that Murmur is trying to become God herself. I have no idea how they are going to get rid of her and close things out in the last 3 episodes, but shit it going down towards the end of the world.

Yomidi

Episode 23
I can't take Murmur as a villain seriously (not like I can take the rest of this show seriously...).
Didn't expect Yuki to get laid, that's a rare thing in anime.

Kvik

Episode 23

You're in bed together with your girl with the lights on, and you somehow didn't notice an axe? Although if Yuno positioned herself right on top of it, it's kinda doable. Logistics aside, it's an interesting infodump episode. Why did Yuno bailed out of the double suicide, though? Now that Yuki knows the truth, it won't be just a simple matter of history repeating.

Post Script: BDSM Yuno is kinda sexy.

Episode 23
I would have expected Murmur taking over to also result in her getting a more serious design. Why are Yuki and Yuno just hanging around if all that's left is for one of them to die? It's annoying how we've seen no one else react to the world ending. Are Yuki and Yuno the only two people left? And now it's time for middle school sex; at least it's being done tastefully. Wait, how the fuck did Yuno hide that axe there?!

So Yuno already won the game once before. It's a good thing that both of them made sure to put clothes on after sex.

Murmur's taking a while to get to the point. Oh, time travel, that explains it. As much as time travel is capable of explaining things. But why was Eleventh so sure that this Yuno was a fake and wouldn't be able to unlock the safe? Shouldn't this Yuno have the same DNA? And I'm guessing that there has been internal dialogue in the past demonstrating unfamiliarity with diary holders when she should know all about them. Although I guess this actually does explain her magic ability to choose the right people to mistrust. Wasn't Murmur previously betting on Yuno winning? So why's she helping Yuki now?

Kvik

Episode 24

The world is ending, etc. but it feels kinda empty, no panic in the streets, or something like that. Now that Yuno's and Murmur's true endgame has been revealed, it's up to Yuki now to simply get rid of Yuno once and for all with Minene's help, right? Wrong. Apparently he still hung up on his parents (even though they were only illusion)

Cornbread78

So he wants to save Yuno that bad, huh? I guess it's true love. I still have no idea how they are going to save everything and stop the world's destruction.

Episode 24
To explain any plotholes with Yuno, Murmur erased some of her memories, but didn't explain which ones. Ugh, are they still pretending that there's some great love from Yuki for Yuno?

Oh what the hell?! But then again, I suppose Deus did something to Minene earlier. I expected time travel, but perhaps a third loop where Yuki gets alerted early. I didn't expect for the time travel to be to two years before the start of the game, and for Yuki to travel too.

Oh god, are we cutting to Tsubaki just to see her get raped? OK, I guess not. Though it's weird that we cut to just her and the mayor.

Minene keeps saying that this is a different world, but then wouldn't that mean it's fine to just call the police to come get younger Yuno? Though I suppose it is a dumb thing to do when you know world 1 Yuno is coming to kill her. It's odd that Yuno still has god powers after time traveling, when she didn't before.

Evilisk

Finally caught up to episode 24. Yeah I don't see how this show is gonna be retroactively good. I don't care if it's got the most mindblowing twist in the history of twists, this is some hot garbage that I've had to sit through, and no twist is gonna reverse how bad the writing has been so far.

Anyway, I thought it was really bloody stupid how the game was formed. Yeah I get that Deus wants a successor, but why the hell would you come up with a game, but then allow the guy who suggested the game to have the strongest diary? It's soo dumb. I mean I would have been okay with Deus scattering them randomly, and then 11th scheming to get it. But letting him design and have the strongest diary is sooo sooo stupid.

Minene and Cop II's sudden romance was the most cringe-y thing ever. I wish the author of this series would just make a romance at this point, instead of coming up with cool ideas like the Future Diaries and using them as a vehicle for this romantic schlock. Minene's dead after jobbing/looking pretty pathetic all episode, and now she's back. That was pretty cool of Deus actually, though I can't help but feel this is still some author favoritism at work here.

The time travel twist was kind of neat. It's not out of place given that the goal is to become God of Time and Space. Akise was too cool, it's super lame he's dead though. Yuki is still super annoying. Like holy crap, go make up your mind already. I'm getting real sick of all this wishy-washy nonsense.

I think the only thing I'm looking forward to, besides this show finishing, is possibly extra appearances from the other Diary Holders (especially 12th, please, please make another appearance)

Cornbread78

Well, I have no clue what the hell Murmur is.I mean, I laughed when 9th dropped her like a rag doll, then Murmur cones back with a super demon god power up? Also, portal to a 4th world for Yuki, wtf, Yuno...

Yuki just has to kill her in the 3rd world with Yuno alive and everything would go back to normal, right?

JulianImp

Akise was too cool, it's super lame he's dead though.

Welcome to Kaoru mk2.

Basically, this show is about making no sense and having Yuki change his mind a thousand times per episode for the sake of edgyness. Seriously, the whole story about how a spineless kid grows as he bonds with a psychotic, overly clingy, paranoid and murderous high school girl is downright pathetic (only it manages to underflow into the "so bad it's actually amusing" territory). Then the show keeps having her jealousy and paranoia be justified because hey, that girl who looked nice was totally out to get Yuki (because Rape As Backstory) and the other girl who looked like his first real friend and was also out to get him (because she only wanted her dad to like her) and so on. Then he lost both of his parents (sympathizing with his dad, who had just killed his mother in cold blood) and was cornered by someone he trusted, so he learned that there was a single ally for him out there: Yuno Gasai. The rest were all out to get him and should never be trusted, because it's obvious Yuki would rather trust the psycho girl that wanted to murder anyone who acted suspiciously around him.

The show focuses too much on making Yuno look good, but then everything about her is just wrong on so many levels I can't fathom anyone but a spineless Shinji wannabe liking her (while Shinji's character actually made sense in Eva, unlike Yuki's).

Kvik

Episode 25

So Upgraded Murmur is stronger than half the powers of Deus, huh. OK. Meanwhile Yuki is squandering precious opportunity again by sitting in that made up world where everything's perfect. Don't know how he'll get out of this one after Minene lost her hand (or Deus' hand) and all of his friends are dead. Oh, probably Kurusu and Nishijima now will show up at the 11th hours because reason o_O

What's next for Let's Watch, by the way?

Cornbread78

Episode 25

So Upgraded Murmur is stronger than half the powers of Deus, huh. OK. Meanwhile Yuki is squandering precious opportunity again by sitting in that made up world where everything's perfect. Don't know how he'll get out of this one after Minene lost her hand (or Deus' hand) and all of his friends are dead. Oh, probably Kurusu and Nishijima now will show up at the 11th hours because reason o_O

What's next for Let's Watch, by the way?

Rozen Maiden or Tsuritama.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/64/Rozen_Maiden

Or

http://myanimelist.net/anime/12883/Tsuritama

Thinking Rozen Maiden, but maybe something a little more upbeat after Future Diary, lol.

We have 3 day to decide, lol. New thread going up Monday.

Episode 25
And on this Christmas special episode of Future Diary, we have...

So only Yuno's mother is crazy? Murmur seemed to object to Yuno killing her father, but she's fine with destroying the school. That was nice of Minene to talk to Kurusu. Oh hey, the first ending theme. I guess the presence of the other diary holders somewhat justifies their presence in the opening.

I was expecting a part where Yuki gets trapped in a dream world. If going back in time still results in the previous world being destroyed, does that mean that the first world is gone? I guess that explains why Yuno and Yuki fell in love, if Yuki will just love anyone he has to depend on and Yuno will love anyone who is dependent on her. I'm surprised the Murmur is still tiny after her seal is released, and she just looks goofy.

OK, forget about what I said about only Yuno's mother being crazy, the post-credits scene shows that her father is a pedo.

Cornbread78

http://myanimelist.net/anime/18041/Rozen_Maiden_(2013)

Cornbread never learns :^)

Oh, I'll vote for Rozen Maiden I guess, just so we can get that out of the way since it's been floating around here for a while.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, lol. 2013 Rozen Maiden.

Episode 25
And on this Christmas special episode of Future Diary, we have...

OK, forget about what I said about only Yuno's mother being crazy, the post-credits scene shows that her father is a pedo.

Lol, what a Christmas special, lol.

Evilisk

Episode 25

Minene actually had her first cool moment in about twenty or so episodes (so basically since she was first introduced). Though I laughed the moment she wanted to pick on Yuno and then ended up getting btfo by unsealed Murmur. Like, hold your horses Minene, you're getting a cool moment, but you're not that cool lol

Looks like Rape Priestess isn't gonna get raped because her parents dying and getting raped just happened to coincide with this span of time (also is the implication that their accident was actually murder? It sorta seems like it). Actually it seems like it's going for a Happy End because Kurusu's also gonna be able to save his son, Yuno's father is still alive and even Murder Diary's victim ended up escaping (also I'm fully expecting Murder Diary guy to die the next episode just to continue the running joke of him always dying)

Yuno's finally calling out Yuki there about his motivations for sticking with her in the beginning, though she did it way way too late in the show to matter. Oh yeah, there's also a grant all of your desires/get raped sphere.

Well at least we got to see 12th again. And we're finally one episode away from completion now! (I don't think I'm gonna bother with the OVA)

Cornbread78

Is it possible to really like an anime, but hate it at the same time? The power of love leads to? Wait, how the? Yuki is god and lonely without Yuno? I'll have to watch the OVA now..

phaze

Is it possible to really like an anime, but hate it at the same time? The power of love leads to? Wait, how the? Yuki is god and lonely without Yuno? I'll have to watch the OVA now..

But the OVA ruins it.
tea5qkb6.png

(I don't even quite remember what happens there but I recall that being my sentiment.)

Kvik

Episode 26/End

How did Yuki actually break out of the dream world? Just by saying Yuno's name? And how did he actually changed the other diary holders' fates, since almost everyone got the good end? Even cycle #1 Yuki also hooks up with the class rep (with his parent chaperoning) Also how did cycle #2 Murmur broke free of her restraints? It's all being tidied up, but still makes little sense. Finally, Yuki returned to his timeline just to laze around for 10K years, kicking back with Murmur. I suppose there's little else to do since everyone is dead. But hang on, its SUDDEN GIRLFRIEND APPEARANCE! Did she survive that self-inflicted knife wound?

Series Impressions

Mirai_Nikki_26_BD_23_46.jpg

let's meditate on this

I feel like Mirai Nikki went too far out and tipped the scale after "being so bad it's so good", going to "making almost no sense, it actually makes sense", and ended up in "fuck it, let's go all the way in and see where the rabbit hole leads us". I almost felt the same way with Cross Ange, given the sheer craziness of the two. Cross Ange ending made more sense to me, however.

The animation quality was serviceable, but nothing to write home about. (I remember the early chapters of the manga wasn't so good either). The mangaka has since improved though, his current ongoing series, Big Order has much better illustrations, although I'm not so sure about the story.

As for the romance bits, of course Nishijima ended up with Minene (where is the cycle #1 Minene though?) And the mayor ended up with the orphanage inchou? lol.

I enjoyed my time watching Mirai Nikki for the most part, laughing at its sheer craziness. Especially for the past 3 episodes since this is a festive season and I am under the influence of alcohol in one way or another. It certainly helps.Now I got to watch the OVA in the hope that it all get explained, somehow. (probably not)

Yomidi

Episode 26-END
This ending didn't make any sense. But hey, everyone is happy now ( I admit I chuckled when I saw the mayor with the orphanage woman).
Anyway, I'll watch the OVA later and post my series impressions.

Chariot

Rozen Maiden 2013 without the previous entries? I don't think that's a good idea. The series depends on the viewer knowing what happened.

Chariot

I'm confused, everyone has said you don't need to watch the original. . .
Spoilers:

It starts out as an alternative path to the main story, but connects midway to it again when the Alternate!Protagonist communicates with the original one. The alternate and the original exist at the same time and the series expects you to know the characters. Episode 1 is a spped recap, but it tries to cover two full seasons of material. It's not independent.

Episode 26 - FINAL
I'm surprised we're getting the normal opening for the last episode.

Why the hell does Murmur care about causing a paradox with Yuno's father but not the chaos caused by the battle? Murmur, you really don't get that the battle is causing these changes?! Oh hey, Twelfth stopped Third. The dog butler really just became a killer in the other worlds because he didn't notice his daughter visiting? I get the other changes, but why is the mayor helping the orphanage?

Haha, oh wow, I didn't expect for Deus to realize that this survival game is stupid and to try something else. Oh, I didn't consider that there would be multiple Murmurs.

So Minene and Nishijima got right down to it, huh? Though wait, if killing every participant from the second world was so important, why was Minene allowed to live? Well, the mayor and Eighth are a random pair.

Oh wow, Yuki is the worst god ever. Well that was a depressing ending for the second world. Does this OVA I've been hearing about provide a resolution? I guess I'll check. Oh wait, there's the sequel bait.

Redial OVA
A unique opening for what appears to just be one episode? This opening was pretty bad.

I was about to ask how Yuno is in the same school as the school friends, but I guess what would have been her school was destroyed. Wait, isn't the crazy toddler older than he should be? I'm surprised to see the diary holders appearing on the beach like this, including Tsubaki being in love with Akise and Twelfth being a crazy shop owner.

Deus, Mayor, did you seriously have no good ideas besides the Future Diary survival game? Minene, why are you talking about Yuno's memories like she should have memories of Yuki? Did the first Yuno replace the third Yuno after all?

Oh, so the first Murmur was actually calling to third Yuno with first Yuno's memories. Gaining the memories of an insane person seems like a very bad idea. What, third Yuno's just abandoning her world?

Uh, so, is Yuki doing to do anything with his shithole dimension? Is the third dimension still screwed? That didn't provide much more of a resolution.

OVA SUMMARY:
Most of the OVA is comedy shenanigans in the third dimension, but during this, Yuno-3 feels like she had forgotten something. She's able to break into Deus's realm somehow, where Murmur-3 is fended off by Minene-2 and Akase-3 gives Yuno-3 a key. Yuno-3 discovers Murmur-1 locked in a cage. Murmur-1 had been calling Yuno-3 with Yuno-1's memories, and Yuno-3 decides to accept those memories. Due to these memories, she realizes that she needs to go see Yuki-2 and, presumably thanks to Deus, is able to go to the second dimension to see Yuki-2. We don't get a resolution to what happens in the second dimension after that, and despite all the talks about how Deus-3 still needs to find a replacement, we don't learn what happens to dimension 3.

Series thoughts
This was a dumb, dumb, series, but there were definitely points where it caught my attention, mainly to see where this ride would go. I wouldn't be opposed to watching this again if it shows up on Toonami, but I probably won't otherwise. The high point was definitely the music.

Yomidi

OVA
I like how in these openings they keep showing the other Diary Holders as if they where important characters in the show, when most of them were pretty useless.
The comedy bits are pretty bad, stuff like Tsubaki being in love with Akise doesn't even make sense.
12th was too good for this show.
I hate how they keep treating Yuno as a good person, when she's insane.

Series Impressions
Yeah, the best wasy to describe this show is this
The "Monster of the week" format is a horrible format for a battle royale-type show. Most of the Diary Holders are useless, even the ones who aren't that bad(like 12th) don't do anything interesting or relevant.
The romance is fucking stupid, mainly because Yuno is a psycopath.
But I have to admit: the series is hilarious in a "so bad it's so good" way, it's really entertaining to see where the ride goes.

END

Eh, show was pretty fun all things considered. I never really like it when anime endings go super over the top and take themselves too serious, which happened here. I can't say I was too invested in the characters so when there are dramatic scenes I just kinda zone out. The earlier parts were the best because it stayed grounded. A simple concept where every few episodes a new villian comes up and tries to mess with Yuno and Yuki, combined with Yandere shenanigans and a big spoon of bullshit things happening it was a good time. After Akise and his friends got destroyed it kinda stopped being fun for me.

I enjoyed it though. Good stuff as long as you're able to appreciate bad anime. Could've done without the random ecchi I guess.

So in the entirety of this show, what was the most stupid thing that happened in it guys? I'm quite fond of the random motorcycle appearing so Minene could escape.
Although my favourite thing has to be the part where Deus challenged Akise to say something that he did on his own will, even though the whole situation already fitted that criteria.

In short, Best song, Yuno was pretty great and I'll finally be able to relate to this video

Would recommend

Series Impressions
The "Monster of the week" format is a horrible format for a battle royale-type show.

It is? Of all the bad things I can't say that the structure of the first 20 episodes one of them, I have no clue as to how they could've improved it. What would be a better format?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom