• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Official Nintendo DS Collecting, Appreciation, and Nostalgia Thread

neist

Neo Member
So... Pic Pic.

I finally tracked down a copy for a reasonable price, but low and behold.... it's not a multi-language cart like I thought it was.

I ended up with an Italian copy. It looks like there are three modes to play, how do they work exactly?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/pic-pic-review

You might check out the Eurogamer review. They have fairly decent descriptions with images. It's probably better than what I could do, honestly.

Also, anyone here ever buy from videogamesupply on eBay? The account's reputation is iffy at best, but I found a cheap copy of Battle Network 5 DS that I jumped on, as a gamble. So, the game came in, and I'm not sure what to think. The Y-fold "new" seal seems fake, to be honest, and the case is one of the modern, thinner, eco-friendly DS cases. But, the game, if it's a fake, is the best I've ever seen, and the cover art is also flawless. Came with no manual.

Not sure what to think. The game was worth what I paid, even if it was a loose cart, but who would go through all the trouble to repackage a 15 dollar game? Seems a wasted effort.

Impotaku

Hmm that is weird, all DS games came with a manual they didn't start doing that till way into the 3DS cycle.

My copy of ghost trick on it's way is from the same ebay seller, will be curious to see if mine has a manual.

Xhorder

Hmm that is weird, all DS games came with a manual they didn't start doing that till way into the 3DS cycle.

My copy of ghost trick on it's way is from the same ebay seller, will be curious to see if mine has a manual.

This reminds me I need to get Ghost Trick. Played it on iPad when it was released, but I always wanted to play it on DS. This game is fun!

Joqu

^ It's pretty low res, I think the portraits might be slightly better but it's all pretty blurry overall. It's a free download with in-app purchases for the additional chapters though, so you can check it out for yourself. It plays great, not a bad version at all!

---

Man, I love collecting DS games. Prices are still reasonable for the most part and no shitty cardboard boxes so getting them in good condition is easy enough. And what a library that system has. I love the 3DS but it really can't compete.

I think I own pretty much all the major titles nowadays so it's mostly obscure stuff nowadays. That's been going slow because I tend to buy these local while it's still possible, but it's all good. I still need to play loads of them.

I still don't have a DSi XL though so I should get to that already. Should make for a nice upgrade.

Oh and I gotta say American DS cases are weird as hell to me. They look nice but they all seem to be a pain to open and the manuals are so cramped? EU boxes are ugly but they feel solid as hell in comparison. :p

neist

Neo Member

Let me know! I'm curious if mine was an outlier.

Oh and I gotta say American DS cases are weird as hell to me. They look nice but they all seem to be a pain to open and the manuals are so cramped? EU boxes are ugly but they feel solid as hell in comparison. :p

Well, to NA's credit, we usually only have to print the manual in one language. That reduces the manual size quite a bit. :)

Joqu

Well, to NA's credit, we usually only have to print the manual in one language. That reduces the manual size quite a bit. :)

Heh the ones I imported were Canadian so it must've been the french that caused issues. I can barely close SMT: Strange Journey's cover!

... I miss manuals. :(

Impotaku

Let me know! I'm curious if mine was an outlier.

IMG_0607%20res.jpg

Just arrived this morning, it was sealed with that flimsy plastic but my copy of Ace attourney also had this same seal so i know it's not a repack, it has the manual and precautions leaflet. It appears to be genuine as i have inspected everything thoroughly, looks like i got lucky.

Was suprised to see the manual in B&W i'm used to seeing coloured ones, Japanese gaming has spoiled me lol. Still there's no way i'd manage to understand all the story in Japanese so i'm glad i got the American version.

Think i have all the games i'm after in english now, i may pick up monster tale as i have heard that one is pretty good and that never got a Japanese release, that will probably be my last english game.

I'll play anything except sports. I'm especially fond of RPG's, adventure, and platforms though.

Inazuma 11 is quite a funky Football rpg.
Lots of footballers to collect and it uses the touch screen quite nicely.

If you do go for it, try not to hate the second chapter.
Its hard as nails.
Once you beat that section its all good again.

Dragon Quest 9 and Golden Sun Dark dawn.
Puzzle Quest was quite good for the time.

Impotaku

Currently trying to get hold of this
There's a copy on ebay for $124 but there's no way i'm paying that ripoff price, spotted a copy elsewhere hoping that i can get it. Always wanted it because it holds a special demo copy of ninokuni and the demo is different to the finished game there's quite a few differences, the intro is unique too it's a nice thing to own. Pretty rare as it was only given out at the Level 5 booth at the TGS.

Impotaku

And i managed to win it on yahoo auctions, just goes to show you how much of a piss take ebay is sometime, on ebay some joker was selling it for $124.

Managed to snag the exact same demo for 500 yen and it looks in pristine condition.
jfngw144-img600x450-1428777848x1r5hj15268.jpg

jfngw144-img600x450-1428777848tuhtdu15268.jpg

And i managed to win it on yahoo auctions, just goes to show you how much of a piss take ebay is sometime, on ebay some joker was selling it for $124.

Managed to snag the exact same demo for 500 yen and it looks in pristine condition.
jfngw144-img600x450-1428777848x1r5hj15268.jpg

jfngw144-img600x450-1428777848tuhtdu15268.jpg

Nice one,
Even sweeter that its better.
I am hoping out on ebay selling heart gold with pokewalker in UK for cheap.

A man can dream.

Impotaku

Thanks, pretty stoked to finally get hold of it was something i have wanted for ages but at the time of it coming out the prices were pretty high for it even in Japan. Seems nobody is that focused on DS anymore over there as nobody else bid on the auction lol.

Still would love the gold and silver Level 5 demo carts, they have nice demos of Inazuma 11 and the Layton games. What i love about the carts is they have unlockables if you complete all the 3 demos on the platinum cart for example, it unlocks a 4th secret demo.

I booted up Mario Kart DS for the first time in... 7 years, maybe? Turns out I never got around to unlocking any of the 150cc tracks. I have everything for 50cc and 100cc, but nothing unlocked for 150cc. Considering the 100 or so hours I put into the game this is pretty surprising. I'm playing it now to see if I can't right this decade-old wrong.

Thanks, pretty stoked to finally get hold of it was something i have wanted for ages but at the time of it coming out the prices were pretty high for it even in Japan. Seems nobody is that focused on DS anymore over there as nobody else bid on the auction lol.

Still would love the gold and silver Level 5 demo carts, they have nice demos of Inazuma 11 and the Layton games. What i love about the carts is they have unlockables if you complete all the 3 demos on the platinum cart for example, it unlocks a 4th secret demo.

What is the secret demo?

Also its nice that that level 5 have that attention to detail and reward their fans in demos for what some people would consider meaningless.

Thoraxes

This is most of what's left of my collection.

Played and shared a lot of games while in college, so the last title I bought was Tactics A2 or Pokemon Black, I can't remember. Either way, There's about double this amount in a bin under my house somewhere too!

I won all three Guitar Hero games in a contest that I won lol.

Mzo

Did they ever update iOS Ghost Trick to work with the latest update? I remember it was broken like TWEWY.

edit: yeah, that's what I figured. At least you can try it out before paying anything so nobody should lose money on it.

Impotaku

What is the secret demo?

Also its nice that that level 5 have that attention to detail and reward their fans in demos for what some people would consider meaningless.

If i remember correctly it's something Layton related, however i'm still struggling to complete the Layton part of the demo as it requires a pretty high level of Japanese comprehension to solve the puzzles.

This is most of what's left of my collection.

Played and shared a lot of games while in college, so the last title I bought was Tactics A2 or Pokemon Black, I can't remember. Either way, There's about double this amount in a bin under my house somewhere too!

I won all three Guitar Hero games in a contest that I won lol.

Those boxes look cool.
Really like the look of the new super mario bros one

UK however...

Lets play spot my imports.

7OuA5zyl.jpg

Xhorder

I really dig NA's DS boxes. It's really the first boxes that NOA got right for any system.

Yeah half of my collection is EU and the other half is mostly imported Canadian/US editions. I prefer the latter. I really hate the EU boxes, they're so big and no logo's on the side. I'm glad Nintendo moved to the smaller boxes for the 3DS.

TheMoon

Yeah half of my collection is EU and the other half is mostly imported Canadian/US editions. I prefer the latter. I really hate the EU boxes, they're so big and no logo's on the side. I'm glad Nintendo moved to the smaller boxes for the 3DS.

EU actually still has thicker boxes for 3DS games. NA, AU, and JP use slightly thinner versions. You'll only notice if you put them side-by-side, though. It's nowhere near as dramatic as with DS cases.

Impotaku

American cases sure are nice and colourful on the spines, makes it easy to spot titles when wanting to play a game. Nearly all my Japanese games have that black uniform spine but it's hard to find a game quickly unless you are good are reading Japanese quickly, the do look nice on a shelf all together though. Would love to have some dedicated shelves for all of them to go together stacked properly rather than some stacked sideways to save space.

Pretty much all my DS collection apart from the consoles and acessories they are stored all over my room.
col1%20res.jpg

col2%20res.jpg

col3%20res.jpg

col4%20res.jpg

col5%20res.jpg

Impotaku

Managed to win the gold level 5 premium demo cart for 500 yen just the silver one to try and get hold of now.
shintani_bp-img600x450-14174243767er4sh15470.jpg

Also managed to finally complete the platinum demo i went online and looked for a Japanese wiki to help me with Layton in Japanese to solve the 7 puzzles in the demo. Looks like the secret demo on the cart was a version of London life.

Impotaku

Another game from the list acquired, already have this one but my copy is in beat up condition. Finally can replace it with one that has a nice manual instead of the heavily worn and creased one i have made do with.

Simple DS series dental torture simulator lol
sheratan_hamal-img600x450-14004237251nsolj52214.jpg

The simple DS series of games have some great hidden gems in there, have a few of these. The bomb squad, the fireman are 2 particularly good ones.

leroidys

So what's the final verdict on Contact? Was always interested in that game, but the mixed-to-average reviews kept me away.

Impotaku

Got as far as the desert part and then got distracted by other games that coming out and kind of put it to one side and haven't been back, maybe i'll get it completed one day, it's very much an average rpg, depends on how many DS rpgs you have played to how much you'd enjoy it.

If you can find it dirt cheap you may get some fun out of it, the problem is the ds has so many good rpgs it's kind of drowned out by better ones. It's not bad but it is very average.

Impotaku

Finally my crayon shin chan games arrived, not easy nowdays to find DS games in sealed condition but the only way to gaurantee that the manuals haven't been mauled to death by some hyperactive kid. Eventually i would like all 5 games but got the 2 best ones for the moment, the others i'll track down in time.
IMG_0620%20res.jpg

I just got my new factory sealed copy of Phantom Hourglass only to find out that it was a $50 sham. I mean it came with cooking game instruction book and fake non glossy art everywhere. Why? Just why????

daydream

Banned
I just got my new factory sealed copy of Phantom Hourglass only to find out that it was a $50 sham. I mean it came with cooking game instruction book and fake non glossy art everywhere. Why? Just why????

Any pics? :p Having a hard time painting a picture of this in my mind.

Teknoman

Return that asap, but yeah pictures would be nice just to see whats going on.

Also anyone have thoughts on Away: Shuffle Dungeon, The Dark Spire, or Deep Labyrinth?

Oh and color wise... DSi LL Green or DSi XL Mario 25th edition?

jonno394

Collecting GB/GBC/GBA games has led me to collecting DS games too!

Bought myself a wine red DSi XL and The first two Layton games for £30. Already played the first one, so dove head first in to the second, and it's great fun.

Also just picked up Dragon Ball Origins as I have just finished Dragon Ball: Advanced Adventure and need to scratch my nostalgia itch. Heard it's similar to the likes of Okamiden and the DS zeldas, so can't wait to give it a try.

Impotaku

You have picked a good time to start as a lot of games can be picked up very cheap as most people have moved over to 3DS so there's not crazy demand as of yet for most DS stuff. Sure some titles still do pull in the money but if you are just starting out you will find a lot of great games for not much money at all.

jonno394

Yeah the prices are great, just got Partners in Time and Mario Slam Basketball for the combined price of £10! Superstar Saga (though the better game) alone cost me £15 CIB.

jonno394

Quick question regarding spotting fake DS games, should the code on the instruction manual match the code on the front of the cart?

I only ask because I've seen auctions where the game cart ends with an EUR code, but the manual ends with a UKV code.

TheMoon

I only ask because I've seen auctions where the game cart ends with an EUR code, but the manual ends with a UKV code.

That is normal because the manual is always the same but the box is country-specific in most cases, hence the different codes. UKV is UK-only as the the initials suggest. EUR would be on the back of a box or on manual if that exact box/manual has multiple languages on it and is sold across multiple countries in EU. The carts are the same across Europe save for very few exceptions that are monolingual and have specific releases for each country's language (Layton games).

This is my collect thus far. I have Dragon Quest V on the way any day now and have been thinking of picking more games up for this system because it's just so awesome.

j6guFQVfEdM6E.JPG

Impotaku

Picked up this off ebay, a curiosity that i have wanted for my DS collection but was usually high priced so i never bothered. Totally useless outside of Japan as 1seg doesn't work beyond it's borders but it was only £12 so i didn't mind at all. might take it with me when i go on holiday though, pick up those extra G&W games for it hehe.

$_57.JPG

That was released in 2007 for $60. I wonder how well that would have been received if it was released here in the states around the same time. Still cool addition to add to your collection.

Impotaku

Yeah it wasn't exactly cheap at retail originally, and a bit more awkward to get hold of as well because Nintendo only sold it online through their webstore. Unlike the older tv adapters that sadly stopped working because of the digital switch over, this one still works today but only if you are inside of Japan.

I'll just make do with the built in G&W game to mess about on, it's a fun curio if anything else.

Top Bottom