• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Official Nintendo DS Collecting, Appreciation, and Nostalgia Thread

Impotaku

Couple of new arrivals today, my Level 5 premium silver demo cart. I finally have all 3 of them now to complete the set, bonus points for it still been sealed. Will remedy that later lol.
IMG_0635%20res.jpg

Also the DS TV adapter arrived, thankfully with the box not been crushed in the post.
IMG_0636%20res.jpg

Played around with it, yup no 1seg TV signal in the UK lol. Went searching the Japanese websites to see how the game and watch games were unlocked. Seems depending on the region of Japan you are in when you turn it on for the first time will determine what one of the 3 main games you will get unlocked. The others are unlocked when you travel around Japan with it. If you fill in so many regions on the map then the games will unlock at set totals, yeah that's not going to be happening from the UK lol. It's a really neat bit of hardware though, typical Nintendo fashion it has lots of little silly things like TV yan he must me the relative of play yan on the GBA. When you watch a program you can switch to TV yans house and have them all comment about what you are watching. I imagine all the feature would be rather cool if i had it working, well i'll save it for a trip to Japan someday.

After a lot of searching in Japanese i was lucky enough to discover someone had found action replay codes to unlock all 6 G&W games, the tricky part was making the cart activate an auto save so the games would remain unlocked once to power was turned off. Seems getting a high score on one of the games was enough to trigger it :) Now have all 6 games unlocked YAY sometimes my resourcefulness at unlocking stuff suprises even me hehe.
IMG_0637%20res.jpg

leroidys

Anyone want to weigh in on the veracity of this Contact cart I just got off of ebay?

It saves, it boots on my 3ds xl, the contacts look good, the cart color, build, everything look fine, but there are two things that are bothering me. One is that there is no serial number printed on the back. Every single one of my DS games has this. The weird thing is though, usually even fakes have them as well. The second thing is that the nintendo seal doesn't shine like any of my other games under light. The cart is more worn than any of the DS games in my collection though, so maybe it just lost it's luster or something?

HUgvFyr.jpg

a22L657.jpg

I used Zelda, which I 100% know is legit, as a point of reference.

Impotaku

Looked at my copy of contact, as i have a USA version that i know to be genuine. The serial on your PCB matches the one on mine, the only thing missing is the printed serial on the back but that ink can come off as it has on a few of my carts if it gets well handled or greasy the ink will start to smudge and lift off but it always leaves a faint trace of the letters. If someone was a bit heavy handed with cleaning fluid they could have wiped it off and it would also explain the dull sticker.

Have a look at the back under a really strong light, it looks like there might be very faint traces of the ink where the printed serial number was in your pic, also look at the the small text on the ESRB logo it should be clear, looks blurry in your pic but that could be just the camera not been able to pick it up clearly.

jonno394

Hey guys, out of the DS Harvest Moon games, which one would you say is the best?

I haven't played a Harvest Moon in a long time..

Gamestop is clearancing out their new DSi stock. $47 for the blue and red consoles.

Picked up one of each today at my local store.

Just opened up the Red DSi. Holy shit is this console nice. The dark matte red is great.

LOVE the matte finish, slimmer design, screen seems clearer and brighter than my DS lite, and the speakers are fantastic! Great click d-pad too! Immediately turned off wi-fi, should give the system a nice battery life boost.

Think I am going to snap another one of these just in case.

U7Udaqu.jpg

leroidys

Looked at my copy of contact, as i have a USA version that i know to be genuine. The serial on your PCB matches the one on mine, the only thing missing is the printed serial on the back but that ink can come off as it has on a few of my carts if it gets well handled or greasy the ink will start to smudge and lift off but it always leaves a faint trace of the letters. If someone was a bit heavy handed with cleaning fluid they could have wiped it off and it would also explain the dull sticker.

Have a look at the back under a really strong light, it looks like there might be very faint traces of the ink where the printed serial number was in your pic, also look at the the small text on the ESRB logo it should be clear, looks blurry in your pic but that could be just the camera not been able to pick it up clearly.

Thanks a lot for checking, I really appreciate it! I don't see any trace of the serial number on the back, but the cart was really dirty.

Blues1990

These are the games that are in my DS collection:

Pokemon: HeartGold Version
Pokemon: White Version
Tetris DS
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Hotel Dusk: Room 216
Mega Man Zero Collection
Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time
Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
Chrono Trigger
Dragon Quest IV/V/VI

What other essential games would you guys recommend me getting?

jonno394

Forgot to post my latest grabs!

Great time to pickup MMZC for cheap (sub $20) since it has been reprinted last month :)

Yeah I picked up MMZ collection from USA last week too. It's harder than I thought :/

My DS binge over the last couple weeks has been too much, gone from zero games to 17.....

Mzo

The Zero games basically encourage no damage speed runs of the levels. It's really a lot of fun to learn and not particularly hard to pull off after you're familiar with the levels.

If you want to just brute force it you can eat the cyber elves like a savage and become pretty much invincible.

These are the games that are in my DS collection:

Pokemon: HeartGold Version
Pokemon: White Version
Tetris DS
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Hotel Dusk: Room 216
Mega Man Zero Collection
Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time
Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
Chrono Trigger
Dragon Quest IV/V/VI

What other essential games would you guys recommend me getting?

I think you need Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors in your life.

Edit: Have you played the Layton series? I think you might like those too. The first one is a little expensive brand new right now I think.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Are the "Feel the Magic" games still worth playing or were they just DS launch curiosities?

Khaz

Are the "Feel the Magic" games still worth playing or were they just DS launch curiosities?

It's a collection of minigames based on the various capabilities of the DS. It's fun and I like the style. They're not very long though, but they are dirt cheap. I enjoyed it when I played it at launch.

Mzo

It's a collection of minigames based on the various capabilities of the DS. It's fun and I like the style. They're not very long though, but they are dirt cheap. I enjoyed it when I played it at launch.

The games aren't particularly imaginative. Nowhere near even Wario Ware Touched, which is pretty far down the WW pole.

One of the mini games was an LCD calculator. Whee.

Just picked up a good copy of Kirby Squeak Squad, and with that my Kirby DS collection is complete. :)

Which are the best Kirby's for DS? I already have Canvas Curse, which is a great game.

I'm thinking of picking up Triple Deluxe for 3DS, but I know there's Mass Attack, Super Star Ultra, and Squeak Squad...

jonno394

It's rather amazing how easy and how cheap it is to get a good ds collection up and running. I've only started a few weeks back and already up to 25 games, most of those costing between £3-6 each.

Tbh my DS collecting had made me forget gba collecting for a while as it's just a lot cheaper and a lot more games I want to buy!

Currently playing Okamiden on my DSi XL and I'm blown away by how good this game looks at times. Sure the combat isnt as smooth or fast as the original, but it's still enjoyabld!

Which are the best Kirby's for DS? I already have Canvas Curse, which is a great game.

I'm thinking of picking up Triple Deluxe for 3DS, but I know there's Mass Attack, Super Star Ultra, and Squeak Squad...

Triple deluxe is a great game but I think Mass Attack is more of a must have & and its dirt cheap right now.

It's rather amazing how easy and how cheap it is to get a good ds collection up and running. I've only started a few weeks back and already up to 25 games, most of those costing between £3-6 each.

Tbh my DS collecting had made me forget gba collecting for a while as it's just a lot cheaper and a lot more games I want to buy!

Now is a great time to collect for the DS. A lot of stuff is super cheap and easy to find.

I wonder if in a few years time prices will start soaring or if the success of the DS doubled with the plastic cases will see CIB costs stay relatively low?

Depends a lot on how many desirable titles had surprisingly tiny print runs. There's already quite a few games that'll run you > $50 for a "new" copy, and far more so than most recent disc systems a non-sealed copy is typically cart-only. There's a number of things I've picked up cheap recently (including Solatorobo, which apparently was kind of a get) but there's a lot of minor RPGs and assorted randomness that are just gonna go up from here.

Depends a lot on how many desirable titles had surprisingly tiny print runs. There's already quite a few games that'll run you > $50 for a "new" copy, and far more so than most recent disc systems a non-sealed copy is typically cart-only. There's a number of things I've picked up cheap recently (including Solatorobo, which apparently was kind of a get) but there's a lot of minor RPGs and assorted randomness that are just gonna go up from here.

how is that? the US copy seems insanely priced, but maybe the UK one.... (same translation i assume?)

leroidys

Has anyone played the Okaeri! Chibi Robo Japan only game? Wondering if it's worth importing. Big fan of 1 and enjoying 2 so far. Thought the 3DS game was pretty poor. I read Japanese OK.

TheMoon

Has anyone played the Okaeri! Chibi Robo Japan only game? Wondering if it's worth importing. Big fan of 1 and enjoying 2 so far. Thought the 3DS game was pretty poor. I read Japanese OK.

That game was a return to form in terms of gameplay style of the first game. So if you can read Japanese, go for it! I envy you.

Impotaku

Can get a bit tricky in places if you can't read Japanese but it's well worth playing and i think there are walkthroughs on youtube, it's pretty impressive they managed to squeeze a huge house into the DS, it's got a lot to do and Chibi has a lot of new moves and you can upgrade the rooms in the house by finding money and using the home shopping channel on the tv. Story follows on from the first game with Jenny all grown up and with hew own son, not sure if Chibi is the same one from the original Sanderson household.

Loved playing every second of it, wish there was a 3rd game.

jonno394

Trying to work my way through my DS backlog. Was enjoying okamiden and thought I was about to fight the final boss when BAM
fight all the bosses Again after finding each partner in a puzzle room

Nah.

Stated layton and the lost future instead. Really good so far.

Managed to buy Lunar knights and Kingdom Hearts xxx/2 days for quite cheap. They'll be next I think.

Impotaku

Spectrobes collectors edition arrived, woudln't usually touch a UK DS release with a 10 foot barge pole however the spectrobes cards that work with the game were originally given away as promos making a full set hard to complete. However the collectors edition comes with a complete set of cards so i bought it for those only as i plan on picking up a super cheap Japanese copy of the game later on. No idea what i'm going to do with the box game and crappy poster lol.

IMG_0712%20res.jpg

Spectrobes collectors edition arrived, woudln't usually touch a UK DS release with a 10 foot barge pole however the spectrobes cards that work with the game were originally given away as promos making a full set hard to complete. However the collectors edition comes with a complete set of cards so i bought it for those only as i plan on picking up a super cheap Japanese copy of the game later on. No idea what i'm going to do with the box game and crappy poster lol.

IMG_0712%20res.jpg
Nice. Despite being in the UK, I used to buy North American DS games for the slimmer cases. I own a few PAL games now, I think. Maybe because they were exclusive or super-cheap (Jam with the Band, My Spanish Coach).

Impotaku

Yeah i don't like the thick EU cases we are stuck with in the UK much prefer the slimmer ones, think the clear ones are ugly. Usually i stick to Japan for DS games unless it's a game that is beyond my Japanese reading level then i buy the USA version. I only give into EU region if it's a game a i really want that wasn't released in the states in english like Tingle's rosy rupee land. Up until today that was my only euro game.

Looks like i'm still missing a card. Thought the 38 set in the collectos edition was it but i'm wrong as i have spotted at least 1 other geo card but i know where to get that one so it's been ordered. There's some that were released for the second DS game as well. Not sure how i'll get all those yet. They are impressive cards though i love the fact that they are clear and also lenticular, wish they made more as it's a fun gimmick at unlocking stuff.

Sorry for answering so late, but it all depends on what you want. Triple Deluxe is one of the best Kirby's ever made, so go ahead there. As for DS, Squeak Squad is really basic but fun. Triple Deluxe has a ton of content. But I'd probably recommend Mass Attack. It's just so unique, fun, and very challenging if you want to 100% it.

Hey guys, would anyone recommend Sonic Chronicles?

I enjoyed Sonic Chronicles about as much as I enjoy getting kicked in the nuts. It was sooooo bad.

As for today I got ahold of a copy of Mario & Luigi Partners in Time and Tales of the Abyss 3DS for cheap. Two more games off my checklist. :)

Teknoman

So i snagged a DSi from a thrift store...never really had to deal with cleaning once since my original was in great shape. Whats the best way to clean a matte black DSi?

Impotaku

Been offered this by a friend, finally the ability to play DS/GBA games and with it having built in hardware scaling the output should be amazingly sharp. Looking forward to turning my 51" tv into a giant DS hehe. Will do better pics when it turns up.

DSC_0029_zpsiic0lifj.jpg

Impotaku

Yay my Nitro capture arrived today :)

Sadly my TV is terrible at displaying composite or S video without it looking like a janky mess with tons of rainbowing and artifacts everywhere. I'm wondering if i could buy a scaler to make it look at least a bit better than the mess it's displaying now? Not sure if there are any scalers that accept S video or plain composite.

In the meantime i'm enjoying 51" DS fun even if it is janky :)
IMG_0734%20res.jpg

IMG_0733%20res.jpg

I found my old DS lite and I'm trying to get it ready to gift it to my 10 year old sister.

Does anyone know what's a good way to test if the shoulder buttons all work?

Impotaku

Seeing as i have money again YAY, currently filling the gaps of my DS collection. Even with the volume i have there's still games i have yet to pick up, bless Amazon Japan and their fantastic prices for new sealed import games.

Happy my sweets
61F4An1D7YL.jpg

Voice emotion scanning equipment heartscan, or as i know it as just plain old kokoro scan hehe.
51bBVfGtECL.jpg

The blandest cover art ever, machigai museum
41H755HFFHL.jpg

Fist of the north star
51zNF0a3KSL.jpg

Tokyo beatdown well the Japanese version of Tokyo beatdown for a wallet busting 500 yen hehe
51nE2rzd5iL.jpg

Spectrobes
61ocOK9ZaQL.jpg

Machigai museum 2
51fYWngftKL.jpg

Cadecus 2
518V9LlKrpL.jpg

The conveni
51fKhHqsQIL.jpg

Cheap used copy of Avalon code so i can use the cover insert to replace my new sunfaded copy and make it all complete.
61tOLigmp0L.jpg

Simple DS series vol 31 TAAAANKS
6133wtCK9CL.jpg

Will enjoy playing them when they eventually arrive, took a huge chunk from my wish list total.

batrush

Recent pick-ups:

Love the DSi. Stylish machine. Sold off my DSL a while ago and since then I've been using my n3DS XL for DS titles. Wanted something more comfortable to play Strange Journey and UK on the go.

Question from a total noob to this thread, does buying a sealed DS game greatly decrease the chances it's a pirate/bootleg? I bought a sealed copy of Dragon Quest V off eBay back in January and it had all the official inserts which I assume would be really hard to reproduce properly.

Question from a total noob to this thread, does buying a sealed DS game greatly decrease the chances it's a pirate/bootleg? I bought a sealed copy of Dragon Quest V off eBay back in January and it had all the official inserts which I assume would be really hard to reproduce properly.

depends on the type of seal. some can be forged easily, especially later Capcom releases since they use a regular-looking looking shrink wrap. I think Order of Ecclesia was the same way too.

Top Bottom