• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Official Nintendo DS Collecting, Appreciation, and Nostalgia Thread

batrush

As a fellow DS Lite fan, I personally prefer the form factor and pixel density of the original 3DS vs. the XL. I don't love the d-pad but games rarely make much use of it compared to the circle pad. It's a more portable size for me and I just really like how it feels. The XL feels like a bit too big of a handheld for me personally. (FWIW I find the GB Micro to be way too small.)

Thanks for the response. I bought a Micro a few weeks back and feel the same. It really doesn't offer much to grip and I'm not a fan of the material used for the console's body.

How are DS and VC games on the standard 3DS when compared to the XL?

Recently i have been trying to expand my ds collection , right now I have :

Castlevania Order of Eclessia, Portrait of Ruin and Dawn of Sorrow
Spirit Tracks
Kirby Canvas Curse
Ace Attorney 1 and 2
Ghost Trick
Chrono Trigger
Mario and Luigi Bowser Inside Story
Elite Beat Agents
Pokemon Black 2
Ninja Gaiden
Advance Days of Ruin
The world Ends with You
Picross 3D
Meteos
Alice in Wonderland
Metal Slug 7
Megaman ZX
GTA Chinatown Wars

Im looking for action platformers or action rpgs and some hidden gem to get before they spike in price .

maxcriden

Thanks for the response. I bought a Micro a few weeks back and feel the same. It really doesn't offer much to grip and I'm not a fan of the material used for the console's body.

How are DS and VC games on the standard 3DS when compared to the XL?

My pleasure! I got a great deal on a Micro personally a few months back but ended up selling it to a fellow GAFer since it just didn't float my (or my wife's) boat. Just wayy too small for the hands and especially for the eyes. It's too bad because the screen itself is just gorgeous on that system. Anyway, as to your question, I prefer DS games on a DS Lite for better or for worse because they actually look better on a DS Lite than on the 3DS. There's a thread or two floating around on GAF about this but in a nutshell they just run and look best on their native system. They're by no means bad on 3DS, though, and I'd imagine they're a bit blurrier/stretched on an XL. VC games I think look a bit better on a 3DS, for similar reasons to other games, I just prefer the crisper look and relatively smaller handheld to a less crisp look for a larger screen. It all comes down to the comfort and crispness of the screen for me.

I do tend to play DS games on my DS Lite still, though. I just feel like they're designed for the DS so the d-pad works much better than the circle pad. Where the d-pad is positioned on the OG 3DS it's just not ideal for use, and regardless it has a bit of a click-y, firm quality to it. The circle pad is terrific for 3DS games and works well enough for DS and VC games, though. I just love the DS Lite d-pad in general.

daydream

Banned
Im looking for action platformers or action rpgs and some hidden gem to get before they spike in price .

Mega Man Zero Collection (unless you have the GBA games, of course), Inazuma Eleven series (first one is on the eShop, though), Kirby Mass Attack + Super Star Ultra, Monster Tale, the Kingdom Hearts games, etc.

Hidden gems there are a lot, so here's some random recommendations instead. :p Do you like tower defence btw? If so, I would recommend Lock's Quest and Ninjatown. Some other stuff off the top of my head: Aliens Infestation (metroidvania-ish), Touch Detective (quirky adventure game), Tetris DS (so good), Geometry Wars: Galaxies (great GW game for a handheld).

Happy hunting! :)

I bit the bullet and imported Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey last week for ... 45 freaking € (including shipping) .

Oh well, I would have paid the same if Atlus bothered to release it here. *shrug*

Can´t wait for some european devil fusion action !

Shizuka

I bit the bullet and imported Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey last week for ... 45 freaking € (including shipping) .

Oh well, I would have paid the same if Atlus bothered to release it here. *shrug*

Can´t wait for some european devil fusion action !

Didn't Play-Asia had it for $30 with free shipping when you bought it?

Mega Man Zero Collection (unless you have the GBA games, of course), Inazuma Eleven series (first one is on the eShop, though), Kirby Mass Attack + Super Star Ultra, Monster Tale, the Kingdom Hearts games, etc.

Hidden gems there are a lot, so here's some random recommendations instead. :p Do you like tower defence btw? If so, I would recommend Lock's Quest and Ninjatown. Some other stuff off the top of my head: Aliens Infestation (metroidvania-ish), Touch Detective (quirky adventure game), Tetris DS (so good), Geometry Wars: Galaxies (great GW game for a handheld).

Happy hunting! :)

Maybe I should check out Galaxies, I quite liked the XBLA games. Sad Bizarre Creations is no more.

prateeko

Hey guys, so for the first time ever I bought used DS games (on eBay no less). What are ways to tell if they cartridges are real or fake? I can spot a fake GBA cart like nobody's business but I'm newer to DS since I had most games back n the day before my house got robbed... :'(

Hey guys, so for the first time ever I bought used DS games (on eBay no less). What are ways to tell if they cartridges are real or fake? I can spot a fake GBA cart like nobody's business but I'm newer to DS since I had most games back n the day before my house got robbed... :'(

I would love to know this also, as I've been starting to rebuild my own DS collection. I know one way I've spotted fakes is the text font at the bottom of the cartridge which reads the "serial number".
I'm not sure what it's called lol!
The font will look generic or just out of place compared to my other games. I have been able to tell by that with the Pokemon games at least...so far lol!

Edit: I'm sorry you were robbed, that must be such an awful and insecure feeling for you after happening. I hope no one was hurt!

prateeko

I would love to know this also, as I've been starting to rebuild my own DS collection. I know one way I've spotted fakes is the text font at the bottom of the cartridge which reads the "serial number".
I'm not sure what it's called lol!
The font will look generic or just out of place compared to my other games. I have been able to tell by that with the Pokemon games at least...so far lol!

Edit: I'm sorry you were robbed, that must be such an awful and insecure feeling for you after happening. I hope no one was hurt!

Yeah, it was my parents place where I'd stored my games since I was in college. Happened back in 2009 and they mostly got all my portable stuff (GB/GBC/GBA/NDS/PSP), fortunately no one was home (folks were on vacation) but it was quite violating seeing the pics from far away of my room trashed... Many titles I purchased quickly sealed (and have kept most of them sealed, opting to use a flash cart instead but I love collecting). Some titles now are dangerous to buy sealed or too hard to get sealed and I in the process of buying some GBA games (which the sure fire way I've found is to open them up with a triwing screwdriver and the stamp on the chip will match the game code) I bought some DS games from the same seller.

They all work in by DSi/DSi XL which have the latest firmware so I figure that's good and I found some info in terms of the light stamp on the back should include the 4 letter game code (as well as the PCB should be green and have letters lining up in the grooves, etc), but no definitive guides and it seems that opening up a DS cart will ruin it. (One other thing I remembered seeing is the front of the game should be flat, nothing poking up through or into the sticker)

I'm fairly confident the ones I bought are legit (small time seller in the US/Oregon, all had real saves on them), but at the same time he may have received and sold fakes without knowing it...

I'll try them on my 3DS later since that still have even more active firmware updates and I'm sure nintendo releases updates designed to detect fake games...

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
If only you had asked, I'd have told you. I'm sorry about your money, but the game should be worth it.

Speaking of cheap games, any idea where I could get Kirby Squeak Squad, Super Princess Peach or Metroid Pinball for a decent price? Those are pretty much the only DS games missing in my collection.

Chopper

I haven't chipped away at my beloved DS collection for a long time. I think the last few games I need are:

Avalon Code
Etrian Odyssey I
Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals
Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis
Master of the Monster Lair
Mr. Driller Drill Spirits
Nanostray
Pokémon SoulSilver
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon
Rune Factory 2: A Fantasy Harvest Moon
Scribblenauts
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2
Slide Adventures: Mag Kid
Space Invaders Extreme
Star Fox Command
Trackmania Turbo: Build to Race
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

I say last. It never really ends.

Magnus

I remember being blown Away by the mini games on Super Mario 64 3DS. They got a ton more playtime than the core game itself.

Touch was such a fun gameplay mechanic. Felt so futuristic at the time.

Shizuka

Speaking of cheap games, any idea where I could get Kirby Squeak Squad, Super Princess Peach or Metroid Pinball for a decent price? Those are pretty much the only DS games missing in my collection.

You got me there, I have no clue on where to find those three games. I'm sorry.

I've been growing my DS game collection recently. When I was younger I would always sell my games to get new ones, so I barely had any left. I recently picked up the first two DS Castlevania's, Rocket Slime, and Kirby Canvas Curse which were some of my favorites.

If you're looking online, they it isn't too hard to find on places like ebay.

Personally, I like to get used DS games at local game stores in my area and Gamestop's also have pretty large sized used DS game displays (with the added benefit that you can check online if a Gamestop in your area has the game in stock or not.

If you're looking for new, that's a little more rare these days, but still check at local game stores or online. One not far from me had every DS Castlevania game new and sealed for the original $30.

maxcriden

CAG and B/S/T are my go-tos, with Amazon, eBay and GS used games as my backup. If cart only is okay you could see if your local GS has 'em, although you might be able to find better prices elsewhere.

Chopper

Man, Soul Silver is expensive. I just managed to pick up a near mint copy with the pokewalker for £36. That'll do.

I wonder what's the reason for that. Is it still the most "complete" Pokemon experience?

HG and SS held and increased value pretty quickly. Probably the best Pokémon to do that...you know, since they are the best Pokémon.

I've got a couple of outstanding DS games to grab yet; Ghost Trick, Radiant Historia, Lunar Knights...Heart Gold!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Now that I have reaquired Kirby Canvas Curse, Ouendan and 999 are on the way, I'm almost done with my collection as far as titles I'd like but my two most wanted titles are super expensive (CiB).

I was idiotic enough to sell my Retro Game Challenge US for €20 back then, now I want it back but it's costly -_-

The other one I missed back when it released and it's now over $100 which is the Umihara Kawase collection.
Game is incredible, I really want it! :(

107266_front.jpg

The other one I missed back when it released and it's now over $100 which is the Umiheara Kawase collection.

Just bought it for $70 a few weeks ago, don't think it's too hard to find others around that price. Plus, it's seriously an incredible package. Sooooo good. Worth every penny.

edit: Oh, unless you mean new. Dunno how much those cost, but the one I got was in great condition.

It's wild how quickly that Umihara Kawase DS compilarion exploded in price. I used to recommend it to folks as the cheap alternative to tracking down the SFC and PS1 games.

Chopper

Now that I have reaquired Kirby Canvas Curse, Ouendan and 999 are on the way, I'm almost done with my collection as far as titles I'd like but my two most wanted titles are super expensive (CiB).

I was idiotic enough to sell my Retro Game Challenge US for €20 back then, now I want it back but it's costly -_-

The other one I missed back when it released and it's now over $100 which is the Umihara Kawase collection.

107266_front.jpg

Just bought it for $70 a few weeks ago, don't think it's too hard to find others around that price. Plus, it's seriously an incredible package. Sooooo good. Worth every penny.

edit: Oh, unless you mean new. Dunno how much those cost, but the one I got was in great condition.
I've never even heard of this. Googling tells me that there is a 3DS version too, which comes with a bonus CD. Did the DS version ever have that too? I also see refernce to a "second edition". Was there ever a first, or is that just part of the game's title?!

I've never even heard of this. Googling tells me that there is a 3DS version too, which comes with a bonus CD. Did the DS version ever have that too? I also see refernce to a "second edition". Was there ever a first, or is that just part of the game's title?!

3DS version is a different game, Sayonara Umihara Kawase. The CD was a first print bonus, I think. I don't believe the DS one ever came with a soundtrack. But if you don't have a JP 3DS, it's available on the eShop as Yumi's Odd Odyssey in NA and Sayonara UmiharaKawase in EU. It's a really solid game.

The DS one called "Second Edition" because it's a remake of Umihara Kawase Shun Second Edition for PSX. There's only one version on DS, but there were two versions of Umihara Kawase Shun released for PSX, with the 2nd version including some extra levels and bug fixes. The DS version also includes the Super Famicom original.

A good introduction to the series is watching the Game Center CX episode on Umihara Kawase. That's how I first found out about it, at least.

Chopper

3DS version is a different game, Sayonara Umihara Kawase. The CD was a first print bonus, I think. I don't believe the DS one ever came with a soundtrack. But if you don't have a JP 3DS, it's available on the eShop as Yumi's Odd Odyssey in NA and Sayonara UmiharaKawase in EU. It's a really solid game.

The DS one called "Second Edition" because it's a remake of Umihara Kawase Shun Second Edition for PSX. There's only one version on DS, but there were two versions of Umihara Kawase Shun released for PSX, with the 2nd version including some extra levels and bug fixes. The DS version also includes the Super Famicom original.

A good introduction to the series is watching the Game Center CX episode on Umihara Kawase. That's how I first found out about it, at least.
Great knowledge. Thanks alot. I'll look into it.

So just browsing around as you do and I found out about the existence of this game:
193672_front.jpg

From what I understand it is a cheap robot dog that can barely move which interacts with the DS game from the masters of plastic, Activision (though the back of the box suggests it is a collaboration with segatoys*). Seems pretty basic

It is easy to find it for pretty cheap these days (prices could easily drop further as well or the well could dry up) but I must not because I will probably be killed for buying more crazy peripheral crap (though I love having these as display pieces) and honestly my only motivation is the outside chance of speculative buy of what if in about 30 years when DS collecting is a thing this might be like the SNES exercise bike or NES piano things though I have interest in profit or anything.

*-Yes despite only distributing the Homestar planetarium thing in Europe (it appears there is an R2D2 version in Japan) they do seem to be part of SEGA

It seems the game is coming out in Japan...as...a 3DS eShop download in a weeks time.

Are there any other interesting weird peripheral or otherwise quirky games? I can think of Slide Adventure Mag Kid, the DS game with slot 2 optical mouse add-on:
86788_front.jpg

And of course Magic Made Fun (the playing cards being Nintendo made might be of collector interest, it certainly is a bit hard to find ones with cards*)
*-Own Japanese version so in a sense getting an English version of the game without is not bad.

Hope you enjoyed that weird burst of research.

Shizuka

Starwolf, there is a Pokemon typing game that comes with a keyboard, it was released in Japan and Europe. Might want to get that.

Chopper

So just browsing around as you do and I found out about the existence of this game:
193672_front.jpg

From what I understand it is a cheap robot dog that can barely move which interacts with the DS game from the masters of plastic, Activision (though the back of the box suggests it is a collaboration with segatoys*). Seems pretty basic
Oh my god, I need this.

hazukash

I have a neighbour who owns Wappy Dog.

She's 7 years old and plays it on her 3DS. It's the only game she owns from what I could tell from streetpassing her. What a waste of SpotPass potential. I didn't know that game even existed before it showed up on Mii Plaza.

I'm missing.. Space Invaders Extreme 2, the two Mario VS Donkey Kong titles that came out for the system, Touch Golf, GTA: Chinatown Wars, and a few others.

I do have some games that I tend to hoard in my area: Mainly KORG DS-10, KORG DS-10 Plus, Jam Sessions 1, Jam Sessions 2, and so forth. I effectively removed three of those four from being in a 100 mile radius from me via GameStop. Bwa ha ha ha ha.

Actually, I have multiple DS and 3DS units, so I've been working on using them in tandem. Eventually, I would love to just build a plastic, guitar looking thing with clips for three or four 2DS units to be attached to it. 2DS, because -honestly- until they make a slightly larger 2DS, that's the best form factor for games like Jam Sessions and KORG. Thinking about it. Attach them all into a mixer, one 2DS would supply the back beat and other intstruments, one 2DS would supply the guitar, which would be played along with it. There's so much potential for instruments there...

Oh! I should probably post my Nintendo DS Collection here. Instead of irritating people with a long list in my comment.. I'll just post a LINK to it.

Yes. I do own almost 400 DS games. 25 away from that. I own multiples of some games like Solatorobo, Wizard of Oz, KORG DS-10, KORG DS-10 Plus, Lufia, Infinite Space, and a few others. I'm a bit of a predator for this stuff. Eventually, I would love to get a 2DS modified to be a capture unit. Then I would do video reviews of these games.

But yeah.

I have a 3DS XL and a 2DS. The games I carry around with me change from time to time except for one thing: I always have Chrono Trigger with me. It is the only DS game that I always have with me. I bought Chrono Trigger on the DS NEW FIVE times. I bought my youngest sister a copy. I bought my SO a copy. I bought two of my co-workers a copy for their birthdays. I own it on DS, SNES, and PSOne (both physical and digital). I have been hesitant to pick it up on a mobile device because the comments say it always has to be online. Always online DRM is just garbage. Also, I use my phone for calls and I have Chrono Trigger readily available on a device with sexy buttons to press. :)

Yasawas

My 3DS broke last month and to be honest there wasn't much on the horizon for it so I've done the sensible thing and sold all my 3DS games, bought a new DSi and will focus on fleshing out my DS collection because it's amazing, probably my second favourite console after the PS2. My original Lite and games were stolen back in about 2008 so I'd been reluctant to spend all that money again but I've been adding to it perdiodically and I've put this together so far:

9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors US
Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice GR
Advance Wars: Dark Conflict UK
Bangai-O Spirits UK
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow US
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia US
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin US
Chrono Trigger AU
Disgaea DS US
Elite Beat Agents US
Final Fantasy III UK
Game & Watch Collection UK
Game Center CX: Arino no Chousenjou JP
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective US
Gyakuten Saiban 2 JP
Gyakuten Saiban 3 JP
Hotel Dusk: Room 215 UK
Moero! Nekketsu Rhythm Damashii Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2 JP
New Super Mario Bros. JP
Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan JP
Professor Layton and the Curious Village UK
Rhythm Paradise UK
Super Mario 64 DS US
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass US
Touch! Kirby JP
Umihara Kawase Jun JP

And then the glorious Argos have had a bunch of Nintendo stuff on sale for a while now so I picked up this wee lot for about £17 this morning. Good times. It seems like a good time to be getting into this properly - my Super Famicom collection has stalled as the prices for those games are fucking nuts now, N64 is starting to go the same way, but good DS games can still be had for pennies right now as people clear them out on eBay.

MwX93ND.jpg

Good work. A collection that puts mine to shame is impressive indeed. Though there are a few games of questionable merit in there and some notable omissions!

Hmm.. please elaborate? I can justify every purchase on that list. Also, always looking to add more to it. Currently, I just added four more titles.

Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron - It's from N-Space and a Star Wars precursor to Heroes of Ruin in style. Pretty interesting engine.

Prince of Persia: The Fallen King
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sand - I added these to my collection to have them, also, they aren't terrible looking but they do have an awkward control scheme. Not bad though. They're weak on the DS, but they'd probably be considered amazing in the mobile market. Interesting games though.

Ultimate Band - Weird Music game from Disney. Not a bad game, just an average game with an odd selection of karaoke versions of popular music. It was less than $2 and I needed to hit a certain price point to get the rest of the items for much cheaper. So, eh. Why not. Turns out that it's not terrible, just not as good as a bunch of other -higher profile- games.

I have a list of titles that I'm hunting for, mainly the Mario VS Donkey Kong DS games, Grand Theft Auto, and others. Just hunting for deals on them.

I do have extras of games available for trade and sale though. I do make sure to nab every copy of games like Lufia or Solatorobo that I find, if I'm able to afford it at the time.

starmud

any thoughts regarding rhapsody musical adventure for DS? the charm seems enough to warrant a buy... im also torn on which (if any) of the two mana games to pick up for my DS collection.

the last game a have an opportunity to pick up is witches tale... outside of it being fairly expensive, its hard to locate any real impressions of the game itself.

any thoughts regarding rhapsody musical adventure for DS? the charm seems enough to warrant a buy... im also torn on which (if any) of the two mana games to pick up for my DS collection.

the last game a have an opportunity to pick up is witches tale... outside of it being fairly expensive, its hard to locate any real impressions of the game itself.

Well, they simplified the battles from the -already simple- PS One game. The graphics are decent, the story revolves around a young girl commanding her puppet armies
from the depths of Hell
to rescue a prince. There are also songs. I was disappointed that they didn't keep the original music translations, but I have a feeling that would be impossible considering the rights involved. Atlus made the original translation, NIS released the DS version.

If I were reviewing it, my quick opinion is that -if you like quirky RPGs and don't mind that it's not a 30 hour epic- the game is worthwhile. It's a must own for collectors who are interested in the world that Disgaea is set in. It's also good looking. The style makes me think of games like Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete. Also, the attacks are silly.

As for the Mana games? Heroes of Mana is an Strategy game with an epic story and ridiculous looking characters. It controls a bit like StarCraft or Cannon Fodder. Children of Mana is an action RPG which reminds me a bit of Mystery Dungeon games and is mostly fighting off hordes of enemies by quickly tapping your buttons into combos.

Out of the two, Heroes of Mana looks better and has a better story, but Children of Mana was more mindlessly fun.

Witch's Wish from Natsume is *looks at the name of the game again* not the game you asked about.... I had already typed out a long reason on why that should be the game you nab before I noticed you said "Tale" and not Wish. Well.....

Well. I don't own A Witch's Tale. I'll have to fix that oversight. Noted and added to my list to look out for.

Top Bottom