• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Official Nintendo DS Collecting, Appreciation, and Nostalgia Thread

Weegee

My recent purchase just came in the mail today! What should I play first?
4KYowqK.jpg

I want to get my memories back for Blue Rescue Team and Explorers of Sky, but i cant find a decent deal anywhere.
Ebay really scare me.

inner-G

Banned
Picked up a few goodies for cheap this weekend, all CIB:

Kirby Superstar Ultra
Bowser's Inside Story
Henry Hatsworth
Bust-A-Move DS
Cooking Mama
and
Rhythm Heaven

I love the DS. Its limited 3D capacity forced developers to be creative, and a lot of games have that genuine charm that has been missing since the 16-bit era.

daydream

Banned
Added some major games to my collection, my DS wishlist is getting smaller and smaller.

Will post the titles once they've all arrived. One of them is AW: Dual Strike btw, so happy I own a copy now.

Gotta get the DS Dragon Quest games bofore they shoot up in price.

I own the 5th, the most expensive one already.....but it is the italian version (praise be ye, multi5 DS games !).

Game is rare here.

I copped DQ5 in a Best Buy sale for $10 after hearing it was the best DQ game.
IIRC it was definitely the most expensive, but thankfully got reprinted.

I've been very bad. Recently purchased DQIV,DQV,DQVI and Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon. I'm nearing to completing my DS wishlist. Still need to add Final Fantasy Tactics A2 and Revenant Wings. Also imported a copy of Puyo Puyo, the 20th anniversary version. I'm considering grabbing the Taiko no Tatsujin series since I've been addicted to the 3DS installments.

daydream

Banned
I've been very bad. Recently purchased DQIV,DQV,DQVI and Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon. I'm nearing to completing my DS wishlist. Still need to add Final Fantasy Tactics A2 and Revenant Wings. Also imported a copy of Puyo Puyo, the 20th anniversary version. I'm considering grabbing the Taiko no Tatsujin series since I've been addicted to the 3DS installments.

I already got all of those, thankfully. Rocket Slime is the only DQ game I'm missing. I think I have all the FF games for the platform, also.

A Taiko game isn't a bad idea, actually. I see there are three of them on DS, lol. Any one of them that stands out?

A Taiko game isn't a bad idea, actually. I see there are three of them on DS, lol. Any one of them that stands out?

They're all pretty comparable aside from different throwaway single-player story modes (or a lack thereof, in the case of the first). I'd just recommend checking out song lists for each of them and seeing if any strike your fancy, or choose whichever is cheapest because they're all kinda pricey.

daydream

Banned
They're all pretty comparable aside from different throwaway single-player story modes (or a lack thereof, in the case of the first). I'd just recommend checking out song lists for each of them and seeing if any strike your fancy, or choose whichever is cheapest because they're all kinda pricey.

I was hoping you'd show up. :p I'll look into the prices/songs then, thanks.

Impotaku

Loving this thread so far i never knew it existed, DS is probably my most loved & played console out of everything i own. Been avidly playing from the very launch in Japan right upto now, the library is just so diverse there is literally something in there for anyone, there are probably about 20 games left that i still would like to own but then that's pretty much it i have nearly everything i have ever wanted for it. The journey sure has been fun, might concentrate on the weird accessories that were released for it over the years.

This is quite an old pic but it covers about 80% of the collection, i have bought a lot more imports for it since then.
S6302644.jpg

Detailed pics can be found here but there are about 10 or so games i haven't added yet.
http://www.retrocollect.com/Members...ction-Photos/2588-Nintendo-DS-collection.html

Mzo

I'm not going to look through all of that, but if Solatorobo isn't in there I'm going to be VERY disappointed.

I was hoping you'd show up. :p I'll look into the prices/songs then, thanks.

Oh gosh if I had known that much stock would be put in my opinion I wouldn't have called the story modes "throwaway," ahaha. People seem to like them but they really don't do a whole lot for me.

The second game has a single player mode where you do a bunch of different challenges and boss battles, the latter of which are cool. The third game has an RPG mode, which can be kinda neat, but I found it to not a whole lot more than a novelty and the RPG part didn't amount to much. In the end I played through both of them once to unlock all the songs and never really looked back. If that sounds like something you'd be interested in then it's worth looking into.

The third Taiko DS game is amazing! It has a full RPG story mode and fun songs.
You can even get costumes to dress up the drum dudes. :p

Very nice, I'll start with the third one then. I love dressing up the little drums!

I already got all of those, thankfully. Rocket Slime is the only DQ game I'm missing. I think I have all the FF games for the platform, also.

I only have the mainline DQ games so far, and I have Final Fantasy IV and III. Those I think we're the hardest to find at first in sealed copies. Then I'll start getting the spin-offs. I'm not really going for a complete DS collection, just the ones that I'll be interested in replaying down the road :)

You might find this page useful then as it lists the passwords to unlock some exclusive costumes that you can't get any other way. Also unlocks the McDonalds colaboration song.

http://taikotime.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/taiko-ds3-secrets.html

Thanks! That link you gave me is great!
I just tried looking around all my usual shopping spots and it seems to be quite difficult finding any of the Taiko games. I'll have to keep searching around!

I never knew this thread existed!

I'm going to post here to bookmark it so that I can read through the thread when I have some time. The DS is my favourite gaming platform ever and I'd love to read and discuss the system with other fans and collectors.

Chopper

Loving this thread so far i never knew it existed, DS is probably my most loved & played console out of everything i own. Been avidly playing from the very launch in Japan right upto now, the library is just so diverse there is literally something in there for anyone, there are probably about 20 games left that i still would like to own but then that's pretty much it i have nearly everything i have ever wanted for it. The journey sure has been fun, might concentrate on the weird accessories that were released for it over the years.

This is quite an old pic but it covers about 80% of the collection, i have bought a lot more imports for it since then.
S6302644.jpg

Detailed pics can be found here but there are about 10 or so games i haven't added yet.
http://www.retrocollect.com/Members...ction-Photos/2588-Nintendo-DS-collection.html
Amazing.

I never knew this thread existed!

I'm going to post here to bookmark it so that I can read through the thread when I have some time. The DS is my favourite gaming platform ever and I'd love to read and discuss the system with other fans and collectors.
Subscription feature!

Guys, is Sands of Destruction worth picking up? I think I read somewhere it was a decent game, can´t remember where though.

I bought a few DS games this month, but haven´t received them yet so no pics. Managed to grab:

- brand new Hotel Dusk (without that horrible orange label on the cover)
- brand new The World Ends with You
- CIB Time Hollow

Next month I wanna get Final Fantasy Four Heroes of Light and maybe Sands of Destruction. At some point I might get both FF 3 and 4, but I´d rather play them on the PSP so not sure if I´m really picking them up, might as well pick up Revenant Wings and Tactics A2 instead.

wanders

Can you guys recommend a game that is both cooperative and competitive? I'm thinking of an RPG that let's you venture with other players but also has a death match mode. Any genre is welcome but prefer RPGs. Phantasy Star Online is like this but I couldn't find if Phantasy Star 0 had a death match mode. Thanks in advance!

Mzo

I'm playing through Retro Game Challenge from the beginning since I didn't finish it all those years ago and have forgotten most of it.

It's stupid how charming and great this game is. The sequel is excellent as well; that's what prompted this revival for me.

Also, found Moon for the DS at my local store complete for $4. Score!

Can anyone vouch for Megaman Zero Collection on DS? I believe it's a cart with four of the GBA games on it. I've never played a Megaman game before, but keen to try one.

Thanks.

daydream

Banned
Can anyone vouch for Megaman Zero Collection on DS? I believe it's a cart with four of the GBA games on it. I've never played a Megaman game before, but keen to try one.

Thanks.

Zero Collection is great but I'm not sure it's the right place to start with Megaman. You should start with the classic hexalogy first (or if you wanna save time, go for 2, 3 and 5).
Anyway, your call.

maxcriden

One of my favourites! Hope you'll enjoy it. :)

The control scheme was kind of dizzying to me with the first person view panning with blurriness and controlling it via a bird's-eye view with the touch screen. Playing Yoshi's Island DS instead. Don't hate me. I'll try it another time when my eyes are less sensitive (migraines and all that).

daydream

Banned
The control scheme was kind of dizzying to me with the first person view panning with blurriness and controlling it via a bird's-eye view with the touch screen. Playing Yoshi's Island DS instead. Don't hate me. I'll try it another time when my eyes are less sensitive (migraines and all that).

Oh, no problem, haha. Sorry about your migraines. Hope you'll have an easier time with YIDS!

maxcriden

Oh, no problem, haha. Sorry about your migraines. Hope you'll have an easier time with YIDS!

Thank you; so far so good! I played some of the game years ago but don't remember it too well. I played the first couple levels last night and really enjoyed them. I think it'll help my enjoyment a bunch that I've now played YI and YNI.

daydream

Banned
I added a bunch of games to my collection over the last few months and I said I would list them here once they arrived, so:

Solatorobo, Touch Detective, Bangai-O Spirits, Chibi-Robo Park Patrol, Shiren The Wanderer, Rune Factory, Diddy Kong Racing DS, GTA: Chinatown Wars, Lost in Blue, Metroid Prime Pinball & Prime Hunters, Umihara Kawase Jun Second Edition kanzenban, Trauma Center- Under The Knife, Ouendan, Mega Man ZX & ZX Advent, Mario Slam Basketball, M&L Partners In Time, Final Fantasy IV, Advance Wars Dual Strike, Puzzle League DS, The Legendary Starfy, Time Hollow, Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2, Prey The Stars, Glory Days 2

So yeah, the collection is far from complete *but* I can definitely see the horizon, haha.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Is it ok to post pics of my collection?
I'd like people commenting on it, I feel it's pretty good but still missing tons of games... plus ones I've sold like an idiot ie both Advance Wars, Mario 64 DS, Retro Game Challenge, Ketsui DS, Elite Beat, Ouendan and many others :(

daydreaming said:
Umihara Kawase Jun Second Edition kanzenban

Holy shit so jelly

daydream

Banned
I'd like people commenting on it, I feel it's pretty good but still missing tons of games... plus ones I've sold like an idiot ie both Advance Wars, Mario 64 DS, Retro Game Challenge and many others :(

Please do! I would do the same but I'm too lazy. :p

Chopper

I'd like people commenting on it, I feel it's pretty good but still missing tons of games... plus ones I've sold like an idiot ie both Advance Wars, Mario 64 DS, Retro Game Challenge, Ketsui DS, Elite Beat, Ouendan and many others :(

D:

Chopper

All right I'm on it

Yeah I know -_-

Edit: wait, Solatorobo is considered good? I can snap it up new for €15 but I thought it was pretty disappointing?
It's defo worth owning. A bit long, and a bit easy, but a unique, beautiful looking, worthy addition to any DS collection.

Top Bottom